PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where Is The Pats Deep Threat At????

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Ravens covered the deep routes well yesterday, in fact.
Contrary to an uneducated analysis, they didn't just let guys run deep. Thats why Brady wasn't throwing to them. To say they ignored deep routes to flood the short zones is to say you weren't watching the game.

I didn't say that. :rolleyes:

The ravens defenders in the no huddle came up to the line and held the receivers past 5 yards once it was snapped. Brandon lloyd couldn't smack around well after the 5 yard mark.

There was nothing open for brady

1-I'm to the opinion that a team needs to be tested in order to fix their flaws. Every game in the nfc is a national game and seems more important than afc east games.

So what's the difference? As long as the AFC East sucks, this isn't going to change no matter if they had a stud deep threat or not.

As for as every NFC game being a national game, I don't know what that means. The perception was that the NFC was the stronger conference. But that doesn't mean it was the reality.

2-They respected it when they found out the refs were not calling illegal contact and decided to wrap up anyone that catches the ball.

And how would a deep threat affect the fact they were doing extra hitting and holding because the refs

3-Gronk is a redzone threat and the ravens kept him out.

Gronk only had TDs in 10 of the 16 games last year. Teams kept Gronk out of the end zone in six games last year. Gronk didn't catch a TD in three of the ten games he played this year too. Gronk is a great end zone threat, but he doesn't catch a TD pass in the end zone every game. And some of the game he got TDs were not end zone catches, but rather catches and runs.

Let's not act like Gronk is an automatic for a catch in the end zone every game. Also, stop trying to make it like they shut him down because he got 8 catches for 87 yards in three quarters, but didn't get a TD catch.

The ravens defenders in the no huddle came up to the line and held the receivers past 5 yards once it was snapped. Brandon lloyd couldn't smack around well after the 5 yard mark.

So if the Pats had a deep threat, they wouldn't have held him well past the 5 yard mark? What is your point?

Are people really forgetting that Gronkowski is the best blocking TE in the NFL as well? His worth in the Redzone is not limited to catching TD passes.

Revise the question:

Where is the Patriots' clutch execution at????

The abilities of the offense have a tremendous impact on execution. If we can't threaten the deep part of the field the defense wont defend it, and they'll better defend the other parts of the field, making it more difficult to execute.

Are people really forgetting that Gronkowski is the best blocking TE in the NFL as well? His worth in the Redzone is not limited to catching TD passes.

Of course not. His loss was huge yesterday. The Pats may not have won, but it would have been a closer game.

We were lulled into believing his loss wasn't that big because the Pats did so well without him.

So if the Pats had a deep threat, they wouldn't have held him well past the 5 yard mark? What is your point?

Maybe? The ravens expected short passes and they were ready to knock anyone out who tried to catch a pass.

Maybe? The ravens expected short passes and they were ready to knock anyone out who tried to catch a pass.

Except one of the best way to stop a deep threat WR is to knock him off his route near the line of scrimmage. Odds are they would do more of it, not less.

I wonder how confident brady is with welker. This is the second straight postseason lost where he had 2 big drops.

It would help, but why don't people realize what the bigger issue was. When Brady is playing with a lead the offense clicks, the key is to have a defense that keeps Brady on the field. Screw wasting effort and big money trying to find a prima dona receiver, go out a put EVERYTHING into the backfield and finding a bonafide passrusher. I guarantee if we had more pressure on Flacco, Brady would've been able to do his thing.

Yeah, I know. It wasn't the only reason (I already stated this), but, it does matter. If you dink and dunk in every game, the opposition will eventually stop it. You need to have a few long bombs to catch the other team off. Just like you can't just run it on every play, or throw it on every play.

The Patriots "deep threat" resides in Arizona.

His name is Larry Fitzgerald.

Every team tries to 'knock out' a pass catcher. The Ravens didn't hit our receivers after the catch any harder than any other team has.
We moved the ball up and down the field, and failed on 3rd downs where the play was there, a play we usually make.
A handful of plays not executed (that were there) that left points on the field on a day with 428 yards of offense is not a lesson in scheme.

This problem will likely be addressed, just as every problem is in the off-season (in Belichick's timeframe, not ours).

If it is not addressed, then we can start to wonder if Brady, McDaniels, and Belichick are just fine with the way things are--which, while many will disagree, may very well be the truth.

This current offense puts up pts at a 36 point average the past few years, not to mention the fact that it allows Brady to take advantage of getting rid of the ball quicker, taking less hits, and very likely even prolonging his career. The offense is tailored to the strengths of some very, very good players. The offense turns the ball over few and far between. Something they are doing is right, since they are historically better than 90%+ of any other offense.

Although it's hard to argue with the thought of having one more piece to the puzzle which can indeed be significant, even if their role is mainly as a decoy, time will certainly point to one direction or another; and if they do not address this issue then we can start to assume that they are fine with the ways things currently are, and that the offense is tailored to be a certain way.

My guess is that the issue will be addressed, only time will tell, but we will know soon enough.

My opinion is that we'd have been just fine if not for the major loss of Gronkowski in back to back years in the season's biggest games. We may have very well have overcome that injury too, had it not been for the loss of Talib yesterday, a few bad breaks (I keep saying to just freaking sign Pollard and sit him on the bench, but no one listens), and the strong defensive play from a good team that is Baltimore.

This problem will likely be addressed, just as every problem is in the off-season (in Belichick's timeframe, not ours).

If it is not addressed, then we can start to wonder if Brady, McDaniels, and Belichick are just fine with the way things are--which, while many will disagree, may very well be the truth.

This current offense puts up pts at a 36 point average the past few years, not to mention the fact that it allows Brady to take advantage of getting rid of the ball quicker, taking less hits, and very likely even prolonging his career. The offense is tailored to the strengths of some very, very good players. The offense turns the ball over few and far between. Something they are doing is right, since they are historically better than 90%+ of any other offense.

Although it's hard to argue with the thought of having one more piece to the puzzle which can indeed be significant, even if their role is mainly as a decoy, time will certainly point to one direction or another; and if they do not address this issue then we can start to assume that they are fine with the ways things currently are, and that the offense is tailored to be a certain way.

My guess is that the issue will be addressed, only time will tell, but we will know soon enough.

My opinion is that we'd have been just fine if not for the major loss of Gronkowski in back to back years in the season's biggest games. We may have very well have overcome that injury too, had it not been for the loss of Talib yesterday, a few bad breaks (I keep saying to just freaking sign Pollard and sit him on the bench, but no one listens), and the strong defensive play from a good team that is Baltimore.

Whether its the answer or not, it is very much fact that the problem yesterday was not executing plays that were there to be made that they consistently execute all season.
That isn't a personell issue, unless you expect perfect personell, which is unrealistic.
On the other hand, there is a scheme related issue that I percieve.
Our offense, based upon taking what they give seems to only really get stopped on days when we have makable 3rd downs that we do not convert. 3rd and 12 is a first and 2nd down issue, of course, but so is 3rd and 2 if you are in them all day.
It seems in bigger games we move in smaller chunks and have to convert a number of 3rd downs to drive the length. When you need 13 play drives it is more likely to get stalled even if you are playing pretty good offense than if you are quick-striking on 5-6 plays.
It seems schematically that we play 13 play drive offense in big games.
This is really just a point of discussion for something that I perceive but haven't concluded my thinking on yet.

How would a deep threat address that?

How would a deep threat address that?

I think people are mistaking deep threat with big receiver who can catch while covered.

Gronk is that guy, but we need another for when Gronk goes down.

I also don't know how you can say our receivers werent being hit any harder than usual, WW limping very badly, Ridley KO'd, and Vereen had his head on a swivel.

They set the tone - expect to get beat up.

I think people are mistaking deep threat with big receiver who can catch while covered.

Gronk is that guy, but we need another for when Gronk goes down.

I also don't know how you can say our receivers werent being hit any harder than usual, WW limping very badly, Ridley KO'd, and Vereen had his head on a swivel.

They set the tone - expect to get beat up.

The ravens secondary is not as great as the patriots make them look. They can be beat over the top by fast receivers Antonio Brown 58 yard catch vs. Ravens-Divisional Playoffs - YouTube.

Mike wallace and Antonio Brown are the reason the steelers have owned the ravens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes