PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What should the Patriots do with Watson

Status
Not open for further replies.
scr-greasedpig05-2.jpg

I think Ken Walter should rub the balls before Brady uses them.:)

Seems to me that pass catching TEs that are on teams with established #1 and #2 WRs benefit from having the defense key on other threats-

take a team like Dallas for example - where even with Drew Bledsoe taking the snaps for the majority of the season you've got TO and Glenn hauling in 70 and 50 passes thus far.

That keeps a lot of defensive pressure off of Witten.

In New England's passing game, who is keeping the pressure off of Watson?

Caldwell. Who else?
Faulk's caught a lot of passes but that's for short yardage.

If I'm a DC I'm going to have a few guys keying on Watson at all times. I know the vast majority of the mid to deep balls are going to him and Caldwell.

In the best case scenario Watson's prevented from adding a lot of yards after the carry - in the worst case scenario Watson's got a few guys keying on him to make a bone rattling hit as soon as the ball touches his hands.

I give Watson a lot of credit for carrying so much of this offense this year. He's exceeding most everyone's predictions from the pre-season around here.

Picking up another legitimate WR in the offseason, or having Gabriel or Jackson come around would make a big difference in how DC's approach a game against the Patriots.

Congrats -- you nailed it.

I don't understand why critizing Watson for fumbles and droped passes makes anyone think it means BB should cut him. There's nothing to get defensive about. The coaches need to stay on the kid about ball security and he needs to do whatever it takes to get better at it. Wasn't KiKi Barber a fumbler in his early years? There's been others too. But too many of his drops and fumbles have been drive killers and messed up scoring chances. You can't ignore that like it doesn't happen. Although K Faulk doesn't have a large number of fumbles over the years, many have not just been drive killers but in some instances game killers. Has that not happened either?

Precisely. Our footballs lack loyalty. Their fumbling problems should not be tolerated. That is what we must do.

Absolutely. My thoughts exactly! Teach these unloyal, slippery, over-inflated pig bladders a lesson they will never forget!

It's probably nothing, but Watson appears to have switched the type of glove he wears. Here he is from Minnesota:

ImgDyn.cfm

Here he is from Chicago:

ImgDyn.cfm

Here he is from Detroit:

ImgDyn.cfm

His two biggest ball security games have been the last two, and he appears to wearing the same glove in those two (albeit in different colors). Perhaps the glove from the Minnesota game has a tackier palm?

let Maroney teach him how to hold the ball..like he thought Faulk!

Yeah, I caught that one, too. A rookie is teaching a 5 year vet how to hold onto the ball???

DUHHHH....maybe he should listen to his coaches...

It's probably nothing, but Watson appears to have switched the type of glove he wears. Here he is from Minnesota:

His two biggest ball security games have been the last two, and he appears to wearing the same glove in those two (albeit in different colors). Perhaps the glove from the Minnesota game has a tackier palm?

I work for the NFL part-time, and one of my duties when I do work the games is to catch punts and passes from the players pre-game. Therefore, I get pretty much every glove the NFL puts out. There really isn't a difference in the amount of tack (or stick) on each glove that receivers wear. The only difference is between the line gloves and the receiving gloves. Obviously, linemen don't have that tack, it's replaced with extra padding. Where there may be a difference is in the snugness of the glove. If you notice the first glove, it has a traditional velcro strapping. Some players in the past would leave them unfastened, and roll the top over. The last 2 photos are of the newer gloves which are shorter, and have a thin "V" fastener. This doesn't allow for the glove to be tight, or to fold over. There is also a third glove made that doesn't have a velcro adjustment at all. One thing I noticed when using the different gloves is that I definitely preferred the old style. The newer gloves seemed almost like a flex-fit to me, and I wasn't as comfortable with the football. Now, the difference between my catching uncovered punts in pregame and Ben Watson being jacked after catching a pass by Chicago defenders is immense, and this is really not a valid excuse. But, it's interesting you noticed the difference, since I had that similar experience.

As for Watson, what to do? Well, keep throwing him the ball. You have to trust your best players. I think his fumbles are an anomaly and he'll work on ball security. I'm sure they can find something on film that can be corrected.

3 fumbles in 3 games, coming after 1 fumble in 26 games, is not proof of a fumbling problem in the slightest. It could simply be random grouping. Sure, it is a potentially worrisome situation, and something to monitor over the next few games, but that's it.

If you want to take stats into account Watson's not the worst fumbler on the team. For 2005 and 2006 combined Watson's got 5 fumbles so far. Brady has 15. So whatever you want to do to Ben for his problem should be tripled for Brady? Maybe we should really be talking about Brady's problem and what to do with him because it's a much more worrisome situation from a guy who handles the ball a lot being so careless. :rolleyes:

Perhaps the new field should be taken into consideration. During the Bears game it was mentioned that the Silicones or what ever that is used in the manufacturing has not worn off yet and the amounts of fumbles and bad pass might be caused by that.

Perhaps the new field should be taken into consideration. During the Bears game it was mentioned that the Silicones or what ever that is used in the manufacturing has not worn off yet and the amounts of fumbles and bad pass might be caused by that.

Between you and Michigan dave I'm amazed at the insight on something that seems so trivial.

Patsfans forum at it's best IMO. Thanks, guys.

If you want to take stats into account Watson's not the worst fumbler on the team. For 2005 and 2006 combined Watson's got 5 fumbles so far. Brady has 15. So whatever you want to do to Ben for his problem should be tripled for Brady? Maybe we should really be talking about Brady's problem and what to do with him because it's a much more worrisome situation from a guy who handles the ball a lot being so careless. :rolleyes:

Umm that stat has little meaning unless you make it proportional. Brady handles the ball on every single offensive snap of every single game. Watson may see the ball come his way 5-10 times per game?

In basketball it's a lot easier to normalize stats as you just do a projection over 48 minutes. But in football the positions of QB and TE are so different compared to the amount of times they handle the ball that there really is no easy comparison.

Suffice it to say that Brady fumbles a LOT less than Culpepper. So I'm fairly happy with his performance in that regard. :D

PS Watson my man change the gloves back if it will help you out!

With all of his fumbles lately there are many on this board very unhappy with him.

What should be done with him?

EDIT: Had a poll but the system wouldn't let me post it because I must have taken 5 mins and 1 sec to set it up.

Barring any injury we don't know about: Reps,reps and more reps. He's young, he's talented,and that one v Da Bears was simply a GREAT defensive move by them.It's what they do and they've perfected it.
Maybe Brady should tutor Ben the same way he did with Reche.

Ahh,GREAT pick-up along with MD who noted the glove change! It would be awesome if these tangible situations are the cause cuz both are so easily fixed! :singing:

Ben Watson is a great asset. Those fumbles are incidental. Watson has heart, killer instinct. Does anyone remember Watson's run down and obliteration of Champ Bailey last year at the one yard line in the playoffs versus Denver. We need guys like him. He is cut from the same cloth as Tom Brady and Tedi. The dude can play. BB says he is the fastest guy for his size that he as EVER seen. So, what to do Ben Watson. I know SUPPORT HIM! GO PATS!

So, tell me, how DID he get the job? EXACTLY, what were his qualifications?

Where did he pay hi8s dues and get the experience needed to be an NFL Offensive Coordinator and to match withs with some long time, very experienced, and very good tactical defensive coordinators? Thus far, he's out of his league. But tell me what you, apparently, know.

He got the job because Bill Belichick, currently the best head choach in pro football, and Bob Kraft, currently the best owner in pro football, thought he was qualified. More importantly, I'd like to know why you think you're more qualified to decide than Belichick and Kraft combined, despite never even having met McDaniels.

Last edited:
So, tell me, how DID he get the job? EXACTLY, what were his qualifications?

Where did he pay hi8s dues and get the experience needed to be an NFL Offensive Coordinator and to match withs with some long time, very experienced, and very good tactical defensive coordinators? Thus far, he's out of his league. But tell me what you, apparently, know.

broken_record.jpg

personally i'm still today a big fan of Ben Watson and i'm sure he will be one of the best TE we ever had in our franchise

i'm not worried at all about his performance

he is a great player imho and he will be better

Watson is our #1 reciever. All you can do is to coach him up and get him to grip the ball tighter. Drill it into his head. You can't take him out, but you can't keep watching him fumble either. Have him wear some sort of sticky gloves and sticky forearm tape if that's legal.

Seems to me that pass catching TEs that are on teams with established #1 and #2 WRs benefit from having the defense key on other threats-

take a team like Dallas for example - where even with Drew Bledsoe taking the snaps for the majority of the season you've got TO and Glenn hauling in 70 and 50 passes thus far.

That keeps a lot of defensive pressure off of Witten.

In New England's passing game, who is keeping the pressure off of Watson?

Caldwell. Who else? Faulk's caught a lot of passes but that's for short yardage.

If I'm a DC I'm going to have a few guys keying on Watson at all times. I know the vast majority of the mid to deep balls are going to him and Caldwell.

In the best case scenario Watson's prevented from adding a lot of yards after the carry - in the worst case scenario Watson's got a few guys keying on him to make a bone rattling hit as soon as the ball touches his hands.

I give Watson a lot of credit for carrying so much of this offense this year. He's exceeding most everyone's predictions from the pre-season around here.

Picking up another legitimate WR in the offseason, or having Gabriel or Jackson come around would make a big difference in how DC's approach a game against the Patriots.

To build on this theme, essentially you want to help Watson by putting other players around him so Watson doesn't have to be the go-to guy. Caldwell and Watson will be seeing double teams in the playoffs, and unless somebody else steps up, that will hurt our offense big time. Watson will continue to fumble if he has to catch the majority of our passes and there are two or more defenders keying in on him.

You help Watson by not depending on him as heavily until he gets his problems sorted out a little more. He is still a very raw blocker and very raw receiver, but he is being asked to do a lot for us. The struggles are natural, given how much we depend on him at this relatively early stage in his career at one of football's toughest position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News