PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What does BB have in mind for the defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not a very convincing defense, considering that Wright, while better than Green, is not a suitable replacement for Seymour. And neither is a platoon of Wright/Green.

So?

Theres no one in the NFL who is a suitable replacement for Seymour. He's a first ballot Hall of Famer.

He wasn't coming back though, so the question is, is a high first round pick worth one year of him? I say Hell Yeah.

The defense didn't lose the game against baltimore.

So to be fair in our assessment we'll measure a Linebacker's coverage skill against a Safeties?

Umm...no. My question was a simple one because I couldn't recall who ended up covering one of the toughest QB/TE combo's in the game when the Pats played them last. Just wondering...that's all.

Umm...no. My question was a simple one because I couldn't recall who ended up covering one of the toughest QB/TE combo's in the game when the Pats played them last. Just wondering...that's all.
My apologies for reading into your post.

I'm afraid I don't remember either, but after the 2006 AFCCG BB has made an effort to use a DB on Clark since he's more of a WR. McGowan did start that game and was the designated TE shadow for the first half of last season... :confused2:

I'm afraid I don't remember either, but after the 2006 AFCCG BB has made an effort to use a DB on Clark since he's more of a WR. McGowan did start that game and was the designated TE shadow for the first half of last season... :confused2:

McGowan pulled the vast majority of the coverage against Clark in that game, and did a pretty commedable job.

Thank you kind sir.

That's what I'm here for.
th_coffee.gif

No worries. The only reason I ask is because we got pretty spoiled when Harrison and Bruschi were doing this that it's got to be extremely tough to replace that...especially when they play against really big and athletic TE's.

No worries. The only reason I ask is because we got pretty spoiled when Harrison and Bruschi were doing this that it's got to be extremely tough to replace that...especially when they play against really big and athletic TE's.
Thank you. I believe Meriweather and Chung are an effort to address hybrid WRs from TE or H-back, but since the old dawgs have gone into broadcasting only McGowan has consistently shut these guys down. :confused2:

Last edited:
I think we all know that Belichick likes smart players with heart who will play his style of football. A DC like Romeo seemed to be able to convey Belichick's overall method to his madness and get the most out of middle class quality guys and teach the Patriots way on Defense.

I think Belichick wants to get back to this - and in addition to taking a much more hands on approach with the D, I'm thinking he'll be very active in the free agent market to potentially over pay to get the quality middle class guys who have been more of a commodity for other teams who have copied the Pats in recent years.

The lack of a cap may have some serious ramifications to front loading Premier player contracts but it does present an opportunity to be generous to get the bread and butter depth players that Belichick wants and needs.

Last edited:
In view of the Tag put on VW, I thought this thread should get a bump for further discussion.

Does VW stay or leave or holdout? And what does BB do if VW does get traded? Does he use the high picks to go for a 4-3? A 3-4 over? A LeBeau 3-4? Or does he draft another NT (Cody?) to replace VW and stick with the 3-4 of the last 10 yrs?

How does current personnel fit in the different defensive schemes? I see opportunities at every turn to rebuild the dynasty! :D

In view of the Tag put on VW, I thought this thread should get a bump for further discussion.

Does VW stay or leave or holdout? And what does BB do if VW does get traded? Does he use the high picks to go for a 4-3? A 3-4 over? A LeBeau 3-4? Or does he draft another NT (Cody?) to replace VW and stick with the 3-4 of the last 10 yrs?

How does current personnel fit in the different defensive schemes? I see opportunities at every turn to rebuild the dynasty! :D

No to the Lebeau and the 34 over. IMO they will live somewhere between there old 2 gappin 34 and a Bates style 43. A hybrid 43/34. With the lack of a DE, I see them covering up a G more often. So they need to find a 43 weakside end in the draft. Someone who is good against the run and doesn't have to be able to play standing up right away.

I see VW as being traded. Pats do not have the personnel to play 4-3. You can't suddenly teach our DL and expect Ty Warren and Jarvis Green to be the second coming of Justin Tuck and Osi U.

If BB switches to 4-3 he might as well blow up the entire Defensive front 7 core minus Mayo and start all over. In that case might as well trade Brady since it will be a waste of 2+ yrs for his 3-4 prime yrs left.

I see VW as being traded. Pats do not have the personnel to play 4-3. You can't suddenly teach our DL and expect Ty Warren and Jarvis Green to be the second coming of Justin Tuck and Osi U.

If BB switches to 4-3 he might as well blow up the entire Defensive front 7 core minus Mayo and start all over. In that case might as well trade Brady since it will be a waste of 2+ yrs for his 3-4 prime yrs left.

So you believe the Patriots will stay in a 3-4, but will trade their Pro Bowl-caliber 3-4 NT.

Interesting reasoning.

So?

Theres no one in the NFL who is a suitable replacement for Seymour. He's a first ballot Hall of Famer.

He wasn't coming back though, so the question is, is a high first round pick worth one year of him? I say Hell Yeah.

That's simply not true.

A player of Warren's caliber, for example, could be considered adequate.

what dose BB have in mind ? i think this team will get realy young on both sides of the ball the next 2 years. will a mix of lots of rookies and tom brady, be a nuff to win now ? i don't know we will just have to wait and see.

as far as the system goes it will stay the same we wont see more blitzing cause they did blitz a lot this year and they still could not get to the QB the only way they are going to get to the QB with this system is with the big 1200lbs front of seymour, wilfork, and werren. seymour is gone. i think wilfork is next. and werren. has not played. a full 16 games the last year or two.

so they are going to have to bring in young fast LB's to get to the QB or go to a 1 gap system that fits the players they have now. forget about edge seting 2 gap system to stop the run. cause guess what they still can't stop the run so stop the RB on the way to the QB and get off the field on 3rd down.

Last edited:
So?

Seymour is not getting in first shot in the HOF....I would bet on that anytime,injuries hampered a good portion of his career after 2004

There are better players than Seymour who have yet to make it in - Prior to 2005 Seymour was dominant,after injury bugs he was sporadic and had his best campaign in 08 IMO

Last edited:
Switch to the 4-3. Try to trade Wilfork, Maroney, maybe Watson, and AD--if he doesn't get back on board. That should be plenty of ammo to pick up a stud at DE (Peppers), and/or LB, plus a draft pick or two. Move up if necessary and draft a sure thing RB, and a top tier LB or D-Lineman, depending on need and what's available.

I don't play fantasy football, but this scenario looks good to me:
D-Line:
DE Peppers
DT Pryor
DT Warren
DE Wright

LBs:
OLB A. Thomas [or pick up a monster if he leaves]
MLB Mayo
OLB Guyton [or hopefully McKenzie or a rookie develops]
(Plus good situational depth in the front seven with TBC, Burgess, Woods, and maybe Green and Brace)

And for good measure on the offensive side:
RBs:
-Spiller or Dwyer,
-Taylor
-Faulk
-a nasty FB type

WRs:
Moss
Anquan Bolden (yes I think we could pull this off)
Edelman
Tate
[Welker--please!]

Last edited:
I'm on board with the switch to the 4-3. Especially if we can't agree to a long-term contract with Vince, I say trade him now and switch fronts.

I think we'll still stay with a base 2-gap system. But I think our personnel is better suited for the 4-3. Brace, Pryor, and Wright are all 4-3 DTs. Mayo will probably be better as a Mike in the 4-3. And Guyton may be able to play SAM in the 4-3. The only guys from last year who may have a tough fit are TBC and Warren, but I think Ty will be fine in any front.

Plus it appears a lot easier to get a 4-3 DE this year (Peppers, Kampman, Burgess, Kearse, Vanden Bosh, etc.) than a 34 OLB.

Switch to the 4-3. Try to trade Wilfork, Maroney, maybe Watson, and AD--if he doesn't get back on board. That should be plenty of ammo to pick up a stud at DE (Peppers), and/or LB, plus a draft pick or two. Move up if necessary and draft a sure thing RB, and a top tier LB or D-Lineman, depending on need and what's available.

I don't play fantasy football, but this scenario looks good to me:
D-Line:
DE Peppers
DT Pryor
DT Warren
DE Wright

LBs:
OLB A. Thomas [or pick up a monster if he leaves]
MLB Mayo
OLB Guyton [or hopefully McKenzie or a rookie develops]
(Plus good situational depth in the front seven with TBC, Burgess, Woods, and maybe Green and Brace)

And for good measure on the offensive side:
RBs:
-Spiller or Dwyer,
-Taylor
-Faulk
-a nasty FB type

WRs:
Moss
Anquan Bolden (yes I think we could pull this off)
Edelman
Tate
[Welker--please!]

I don't think RB should be a top priority for this team. I'd go D front seven, o-line and a WR. Then target Ben Tate or Joique Bell in the 3rd-5th, trading up/back from the second if necessary. I certainly don't think Spiller would be worth the pick, as I don't see him being much of a 3 down back. Dwyer has more of a fit for that, but if we keep going with the RBBC approach, it doesn't make much sense to grab one too early.

So you believe the Patriots will stay in a 3-4, but will trade their Pro Bowl-caliber 3-4 NT.

Interesting reasoning.

Just like they traded their pro bowler DL Richard Seymour, and still played 3-4. Brace and Pryor and Draft to fill a 2down NT hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News