PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What does BB have in mind for the defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No to the Lebeau and the 34 over. IMO they will live somewhere between there old 2 gappin 34 and a Bates style 43. A hybrid 43/34. With the lack of a DE, I see them covering up a G more often. So they need to find a 43 weakside end in the draft. Someone who is good against the run and doesn't have to be able to play standing up right away.

What's so wrong with a LeBeau 3-4? I wouldn't mind seeing more Kill The QB aggression, and less Bend But Don't Break passivity, esp. if our Safeties can learn not to bite on the short route at the expense of the long route.

And as for Wilfork being traded: does Bill really want to put all of his NT eggs in the Ron Brace basket, or - worse - the fat tub of goo Mt. Cody basket?

What's so wrong with a LeBeau 3-4? I wouldn't mind seeing more Kill The QB aggression, and less Bend But Don't Break passivity, esp. if our Safeties can learn not to bite on the short route at the expense of the long route.

And as for Wilfork being traded: does Bill really want to put all of his NT eggs in the Ron Brace basket, or - worse - the fat tub of goo Mt. Cody basket?

doesn't matter who you have coaching or whether it is 1 gap or 2 gap 3-4......with the LB's currently on the roster, the defense will stink

Switch to the 4-3. Try to trade Wilfork, Maroney, maybe Watson, and AD--if he doesn't get back on board. That should be plenty of ammo to pick up a stud at DE (Peppers), and/or LB, plus a draft pick or two. Move up if necessary and draft a sure thing RB, and a top tier LB or D-Lineman, depending on need and what's available.

I don't play fantasy football, but this scenario looks good to me:
D-Line:
DE Peppers
DT Pryor
DT Warren
DE Wright

LBs:
OLB A. Thomas [or pick up a monster if he leaves]
MLB Mayo
OLB Guyton [or hopefully McKenzie or a rookie develops]
(Plus good situational depth in the front seven with TBC, Burgess, Woods, and maybe Green and Brace)

And for good measure on the offensive side:
RBs:
-Spiller or Dwyer,
-Taylor
-Faulk
-a nasty FB type

WRs:
Moss
Anquan Bolden (yes I think we could pull this off)
Edelman
Tate
[Welker--please!]

This works for me! Get rid of AT & add Dansby!

The fat tub of goo Mt. Cody. LOL. Once again, you never fail to give me a good laugh.

I agree, I've been saying all season I would love to see us play more like the LeBeau 3-4. I'd even love to see a Jim Johnson 4-3 if we switch to the 4-3. There's a reason Pitt and Baltimore have been the two best defenses over the past decade. I love the aggression of the Pitt D as they come after you and force the issue. I'm not a fan of bend but don't break defense. I'm a fan of an attacking, for the issue, put the other team on their heels defense.

The fat tub of goo Mt. Cody. LOL. Once again, you never fail to give me a good laugh.

I agree, I've been saying all season I would love to see us play more like the LeBeau 3-4. I'd even love to see a Jim Johnson 4-3 if we switch to the 4-3. There's a reason Pitt and Baltimore have been the two best defenses over the past decade. I love the aggression of the Pitt D as they come after you and force the issue. I'm not a fan of bend but don't break defense. I'm a fan of an attacking, for the issue, put the other team on their heels defense.
Don't encourage him! I keep thinking he's smoking crab grass instead of that funny THC shrub. :stars2:

Don't encourage him! I keep thinking he's smoking crab grass instead of that funny THC shrub. :stars2:

Hahaha, gotta love captain stone. He's a funny dude and a good guy, even if he likes taking some shots at BB and Co.

Hahaha, gotta love captain stone. He's a funny dude and a good guy, even if he likes taking some shots at BB and Co.
Capt. Downer, he's my bud, putting in long hours to make me look rational and diplomatic - people don't know how difficult a task that is! :singing:

Nothing is wrong with it. We are just further away personnel wise.

I guess we shold fire BB and hire LeBeau. After all you seem to think that BB should abandon his own philiosophy and learn at LeBeau's knee.
Do you also wish BB would be more like Rex Ryan?

I would love to know what we are doing for defense so I don't eat my hat when we don't draft a 3-4 OLB again.

I'm fine with Bill Belichick and his philosophy on football.
I know that it has produced more success than LeBeau or whoever you credit for Baltimore, since Marvin Lewis was the DC when they won the SB, and everyone else has failed to get them really even very close to that, regardless of how much fun you thing it is to be aggressive.
Jim Johnson never won anything, so maybe putting the other team on its heels isnt all its cracked up to be, and conservative defense that asks everyone to just do thier job, not be a hero, and not give up big plays actually wins more. But you could look that up.

Doesn't matter who you have coaching or whether it is 1-gap or 2-gap 3-4......with the LBs currently on the roster, the defense will stink.

No argument here; the LBs do need an upgrade.

I'm fine with Bill Belichick and his philosophy on football.
I know that it has produced more success than LeBeau or whoever you credit for Baltimore, since Marvin Lewis was the DC when they won the SB, and everyone else has failed to get them really even very close to that, regardless of how much fun you thing it is to be aggressive.
Jim Johnson never won anything, so maybe putting the other team on its heels isnt all its cracked up to be, and conservative defense that asks everyone to just do thier job, not be a hero, and not give up big plays actually wins more. But you could look that up.

Why do you have to speak in such a smug manner? The NFL has greatly changed since we won our last Super Bowl. If you sit back in a conservative defense in today's NFL, you are going to get picked apart. With the passing game being used more and more, you have to be aggressive on defense. It's not that it's "fun" to be aggressive, it's more conducive to today's NFL. As for your "look it up" comment, why don't you look up the past couple of years. We were in the SB in 2007 b/c of our offense, not our defense. Our defense was more of a liability than we thought, the offense just covered it up b/c it was so great.

2009 - Saints SB champs, Jets AFC championship game, Minnesota NFC champ. game - all aggressive D's
2008 - Steelers SB champs, Cardinals NFC champs, Baltimore AFC champ. game, Eagles NFC champ. game - aggressive D's - the final 4 teams all had "aggressive" defenses
2007 - Giants SB champs, Chargers AFC champ. game - aggressive D's
2005 - Pitt SB champs - aggressive D

So 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009 all had many teams "win" the SB or at least get to the conference championship with aggressive defenses. 2006 was the exception where the Colts won with their Tampa-2 defense. I don't know about you, but that seems like a trend to me. It's not 2004 anymore, stop drinking too much kool-aid.

I prefer the Carl Spackler hybrid myself...so I've got that going for me.

Nothing is wrong with it. We are just further away personnel-wise.

This is true, but perhaps only to an extent. Maybe a change in attitude, as well as a tweak in the scheme and an obvious upgrade in personnel (esp. at LB, which is needed no matter what the defensive philosophy) would help us get closer to a more aggressive, Kill-The-QB approach, as long as our Safeties show that they can be trusted not to give up the long bombs.

I guess we should fire BB and hire LeBeau. After all you seem to think that BB should abandon his own philiosophy and learn at LeBeau's knee.
Do you also wish BB would be more like Rex Ryan?

Would I like to see one of the best DCs of all time, who also uses a 3-4 as his base set, join my team? Absolutely; but we know that LeBeau will almost certainly retire in Pittsburg. Besides, I would like to see Bill officially name Pepper as DC; maybe he'll bring a younger, more aggressive approach to the job.

Bill is spreading himself too thin as it is now, and appears too paranoid to listen to anyone outside of his ever-shrinking royal family. If he coaches the offense while the defense is on the field, and coaches the defense while the offense is on the field, he'll never see what's happening on the field, as it's happening.

While he's at it, he should also hire himself an actual OC, too.

Why do you have to speak in such a smug manner? The NFL has greatly changed since we won our last Super Bowl. If you sit back in a conservative defense in today's NFL, you are going to get picked apart. With the passing game being used more and more, you have to be aggressive on defense. It's not that it's "fun" to be aggressive, it's more conducive to today's NFL. As for your "look it up" comment, why don't you look up the past couple of years. We were in the SB in 2007 b/c of our offense, not our defense. Our defense was more of a liability than we thought, the offense just covered it up b/c it was so great.

2009 - Saints SB champs, Jets AFC championship game, Minnesota NFC champ. game - all aggressive D's
2008 - Steelers SB champs, Cardinals NFC champs, Baltimore AFC champ. game, Eagles NFC champ. game - aggressive D's - the final 4 teams all had "aggressive" defenses
2007 - Giants SB champs, Chargers AFC champ. game - aggressive D's
2005 - Pitt SB champs - aggressive D

So 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009 all had many teams "win" the SB or at least get to the conference championship with aggressive defenses. 2006 was the exception where the Colts won with their Tampa-2 defense. I don't know about you, but that seems like a trend to me. It's not 2004 anymore, stop drinking too much kool-aid.

You need to watch more football so you can determine what an aggressive D is. Hint: it isnt a team that has good players in pass rushing roles.

Would I like to see one of the best DCs of all time, who also uses a 3-4 as his base set, join my team? Absolutely; but we know that LeBeau will almost certainly retire in Pittsburg. Besides, I would like to see Bill officially name Pepper as DC; maybe he'll bring a younger, more aggressive approach to the job.

Bill is spreading himself too thin as it is now, and appears too paranoid to listen to anyone outside of his ever-shrinking royal family. If he coaches the offense while the defense is on the field, and coaches the defense while the offense is on the field, he'll never see what's happening on the field, as it's happening.

While he's at it, he should also hire himself an actual OC, too.

In one post you have
-Shown you do not understand that our defense is based upon a 2gap system, not a 34 alignment.
-Made a judgment of BBs workload and ability to handle it from whereever you are, which isn't anywhere in the vicinity of where you could judge that from
-Attached a psychological deficiency to BB, based upon, again, I don't know what
-Decided that you know who he listens to and why
-Made that out as a reason you can decide better than him how to run a football team
-Butchered any level of understanding of how a team is coached on gameday.
-Decided that you are a better judge of when and who BB should promote and determined that you know more than him

I just don't understand why Bob Kraft doesnt hire to run the show

You need to watch more football so you can determine what an aggressive D is. Hint: it isnt a team that has good players in pass rushing roles.

Which one of those defenses would you not call aggressive? Please educate me, great one. The only ones I can see being debatable are the Chargers and Vikings. Chargers were a lot more aggressive with Wade Phillips, playing more 1-gap, and haven't been as aggressive with Cottrell and Rivera, playing more 2-gap. I might have gotten the years confused there. Fraizer originally came up under Jim Johnson in Philly and then was a Tampa-2 disciple of Dungy's. He's been known to have one of the more aggressive 4-3 T2 schemes. With pass rushers like Allen and Edwards you don't have to blitz that often. I'd consider Steelers, Ravens, Eagles, Jets, Cardinals (when they had Clancy), Giants, Saints all "aggressive defenses."

In one post you have
-Shown you do not understand that our defense is based upon a 2gap system, not a 34 alignment
-Made a judgment of BB's workload and ability to handle it from wherever you are, which isn't anywhere in the vicinity of where you could judge that
-Attached a psychological deficiency to BB, based upon, again, I don't know what
-Decided that you know whom he listens to and why
-Made that out as a reason you can decide better than him how to run a football team
-Butchered any level of understanding of how a team is coached on gameday
-Decided that you are a better judge of when and whom BB should promote and determined that you know more than him

I just don't understand why Bob Kraft doesn't hire you to run the show...

I don't either. Ah well...

And I did all of the above in one post? No wonder I'm tired.

C'mon AJ, doesn't it at least seem that Bill has lost a couple of ticks off his fastball? I really couldn't blame him if he has.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey