PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What do we do regarding Hoyer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, NOBODY is signing Hoyer for the second round tender. I think it was a samrt move by the Pats to put a second round tender on him, but I'm sure that they are not thinking that anyone will offer him a contract at that price.

I could see the Pats working a sign and trade with Hoyer, have him sign the tender or a 2-3 year contract and then trade him for say a 4th round pick (or some combination of late round picks). I'm fine with Mallet being the back-up.

Folks seem to think it's a 2nd or nothing. It isn't. Pats could use his RFA status as bait to find an interested party and work a trade for whatever. I have no basis to share your faith in The Hammer, nor any reason to feel he's deficient. I would think that the Pats need training camp to decide on Mallet's ability. My view is that the trade window at the end of camp seems to me when the Pats might deal Hoyer were Mallet to impress.

Folks seem to think it's a 2nd or nothing. It isn't. Pats could use his RFA status as bait to find an interested party and work a trade for whatever. I have no basis to share your faith in The Hammer, nor any reason to feel he's deficient. I would think that the Pats need training camp to decide on Mallet's ability. My view is that the trade window at the end of camp seems to me when the Pats might deal Hoyer were Mallet to impress.

Folks seem to be having a hard time wrapping their heads around the fact that at this time is is a 2nd or nothing. The Pats have no leverage and Bill is on record that he will not discuss trading unsigned players because it's against the rules to. Until Hoyer signs his tender is is essentially a FA. The only restriction is any team signing him has to compensate the NEP with a #2 (unless they match the deal which they never would because that would result in them paying starter money for a backup).

If Mallet passes Hoyer in camp they might deal Hoyer then as a backup, but it's not likely he would garner much more than a day 3 pick in a draft a season away under that scenario.

The Pats have no leverage and Bill is on record that he will not discuss trading unsigned players because it's against the rules to.

I remember that whole situation with Peppers. It always seemed strange to me: once he signed the tender, it would have been virtually impossible for the Pats to trade for him (because they'd have had to absorb his entire franchise tag number before they could sign him to a newer deal).

Win win for the Patriots. If Seattle, Miami, or any other team sign him the Patriots get another 2nd, if not they are still in great shape at QB.

From walterfootball.com rankings of free agent QBs (top 15)
1. Drew Brees - exclusive franchise tender Saints
2. Peyton Manning
3. Matt Flynn
4. Alex Smith
5. Jason Campbell - signed with Bears
6. Brian Hoyer - RFA -2nd round tender
7. Josh Johnson
8. Kyle Orton - signed with Cowboys
9. Shaun Hill
10. Dennis Dixon
11. Billy Volek
12. Rex Grossman
13. Chad Henne - signed with Jaguars
14. Josh McCown - resigned wtih Bears
15. Donovan McNabb

Can probably stop typing at Donovan McNabb... though Drew Stanton at #16 just got signed by the Jets and Dan Orlovsky at #17 signed with Buccaneers.

Manning wants 5 yrs/$90 million. Alex Smith wants a chance to start and starter money (8-10 million per year). Matt Flynn has never really played and he wants a chance to start and starter money.

Until these three find a home, it is unlikely that anyone gives Brian Hoyer a sniff, but if you can sign him affordably the draft pick might not be unreasonable because waiting for him to be an UFA only means you can no longer sign him affordably.

Folks seem to be having a hard time wrapping their heads around the fact that at this time is is a 2nd or nothing.

I think that may be technically true but it's not a meaningful distinction. A team interested in getting Hoyer for other than the 2nd simply has to call the Patriots and agree on compensation. Not difficult at all if Bill is amenable. This is exactly what we did when we got Wes Welker. Such a deal could end up being done before we even get a sniff of it.

Brian Hoyer needs to first attract interest from prospective NFL franchises.

I think that may be technically true but it's not a meaningful distinction. A team interested in getting Hoyer for other than the 2nd simply has to call the Patriots and agree on compensation. Not difficult at all if Bill is amenable. This is exactly what we did when we got Wes Welker. Such a deal could end up being done before we even get a sniff of it.

That's not how Welker went down. We had him in for a visit as a RFA and were prepared to sign him to an offer sheet he was willing to sign. But then Kraft decided that he didn't want to utilize any kind of poison pill to circumvent Miami opting to match and Bill didn't want to have to overpay to make the signing unpalatable, so they went owner to owner and agreed to do a trade instead. Welker then signed his tender and Miami traded him.

Welker wasn't our unsigned player. If someone were to call Bill about Hoyer at this point I think he would tell them he could not discuss trading a RFA player who is not under contract. If Hoyer came to Bill and said there was a team that wanted him but not at the price of a second, I think Bill would tell him tough noogies unless he agreed to sign his tender and then let us handle the negotiations and trade you to whomever we felt would give us the best compensation, or not. Which was similar to what he told Branch's agent when he found a team just south of here willing to give him his big deal for a 2nd rounder... He doesn't let players or agents negotiate draft compensation.

I have another variation. The Browns (or Miami) want to jump up for Tanneyhill in round one. Wouldn't giving NE a first for Mallet make more sense? The Browns have two first rounders.
Would not BB send Mallet to the Browns for a first rounder, keep Hoyer if they think he is the heir, and or pick up Tebow?
DW Toys

I have another variation. The Browns (or Miami) want to jump up for Tanneyhill in round one. Wouldn't giving NE a first for Mallet make more sense? The Browns have two first rounders.
Would not BB send Mallet to the Browns for a first rounder, keep Hoyer if they think he is the heir, and or pick up Tebow?
DW Toys

I can't believe anyone would think Hoyer or Mallet a better qb than any qb that has started an NFL game.

And with Kolb a total joke, no one is going to trade for someone else's backup.

There is a reason a backup is a backup and not a starter. And even if they wanted to trade for someone's backup, no one would trade a first or second. It just doesn't happen. NFL teams think first or second round picks should only be traded for guaranteed starters or other draft picks.

In reality it doesn't make any sense, but that is the insanity of the draft.

So he counts against the 80 human roster (are they gonna make it 90?) and can now be traded. I don't know what the timing tells us but it is interesting that this happened before teams get to piss away draft picks on unknown college QBs.

But, with Tebow off the market, there's no sense in trading Hoyer now.

Big%20Game%20Fishing%20Tenerife%20Trolling%20DSCF0011.JPG

Hoyer tested the market and found none.......

Go figure :D

Hoyer tested the market and found none.......

Go figure :D

Actually NOW the trade market can be tested. Until now he was NOT property of the Patriots. He never could have traded himself.

So he counts against the 80 human roster (are they gonna make it 90?) and can now be traded. I don't know what the timing tells us but it is interesting that this happened before teams get to piss away draft picks on unknown college QBs.

It was just 90 for the lockout year, and back to 80 now.

There are two proposals currently being looked at along with some other rule changes (such as the in-season IR rule, and making regular season OT the same as post-season OT) that would change the 80-man roster.

2012 Bylaw Proposals

Bylaw Proposal No. 3 is we propose a 90-player training camp offseason limit. In that limit, we would also count the unsigned draft picks, which we haven’t in years past; those players have been exempt. It would be an increase from what has traditionally been 80 players, although last year we obviously made the exception given the unique year. We propose 90 this year. In that, we propose two cuts – one cut coming after (preseason) Week 3, you would go from 90 to 80; and then you would go to 53 in the last cut.

Bylaw Proposal No. 4 is a contingent proposal in case we don’t end up with a 90-man roster and we end up with an 80-man roster. It is a way to cut down the roster if that were to happen. Bylaw Proposal No. 4 is a contingency proposal, if you will.

Bylaw Proposal No. 5 is a proposal in which we seek to move the final cut-down date to Friday night as opposed to Saturday where it has been. It is in recognition of the Kickoff Game being on Wednesday night and trying to give those two teams the opportunity to have a practice on Saturday.​

Last edited:

It was always going to. RFA's have until April 20th to test their market or sign their tender. If they don't teams can replace it with 110% tenders based on prior year salary. Like we did to Mankins.

Hoyer wants a shot as a starter, as most backups should. If not they lack confidence and motivation. There isn't much of a trade market for backup QB's. If someone wouldn't cough up a second for a shot at him as a starter, they aren't going to trade anything for him as a potential backup. The only time you'd possibly see him go would be if in pre season someone loses a starter and is desperate for another backup (or one with better spot starter potential than the ones they have) and Bill believes that Mallett while not passing Hoyer on the depth chart in camp is somehow good to go as the #2 here or some other UDFA he's uncovered in the meantime is...

RFA tenders are not guaranteed like franchise tags on signing, but if he's on the roster on opening day that's what he is guaranteed to make. He's going to be doing his best now to make sure he remains the clear #2 here for that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News