PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Welker vs. Kyle Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really REALLY hope they think Revis can take care of Moss all by himself with no saftey help or anything.

That has never really happened. There was always a little cheating over the top.

Speed and jumping have never been Cromartie's problem. Being a fundamentally good corner who avoids being out of position/tackles well have been.

One thing they should try is a few quick passes to Tate if Cromartie is playing soft on him. Cromartie's ability (or lack thereof) to bust plays up near the line of scrimmage is something worth testing, especially with a guy who is as dynamic with the ball in his hands as Tate is.

Yup. You are talking about serious YAC. And if they are giving Cromartie safety help (likely), then...

imgdyn_cfm.jpg

Wilson is going to get targeted all day. I wouldn't be surprised to see Revis roll over to Welker and the team place Cromartie on Moss in a Cover 1 situation, especially if Welker starts to have his way with Wilson. Another interesting match-up would be Tate on Cromartie. If Moss is taken out of the game with Revis and safety help, Tate essentially becomes our deep threat. How many times down Brady target him?

Just going off a feeling and nothing else I was thinking this as well...I was thinking Revis would cover welker, cromartie at 6'2" covering the taller moss and wilson covering tate.....I understand what patspsycho is saying but I just think that Fat Rex just wants to completely shut us down and try to beat us bad....I don't think he will concede anything....Just my .02

....then come in motion to help out at the line.

That would just play right into the 46 defense. We want to counter their box philosophy by staying as spread as possible.

Moss
Welker
Edleman
Tate
Hernandez
Gronk
Crumpler
Faulk

...all receiving threats. with Gronk and Crumpler (and even Welker) as receiving threats and very good at blocking, the jests can blitz Brady all day and if Brady can get 2-3 seconds of time that ball is out before ny can get to him.

This game cannot get here quick enough!

I cannot wait to see the look on jests fans faces when they see Gronk in person. They're really going to hate him! Heh heh.

Who's ny's daddy? Gronk-freakin'-kowski, that's who!!

I see Edelman and Hernandez having large roles on Sunday. Maybe some screens to Edelman to rack up YAC.

Welcome to the NFL, rookie. The New England Patriots offer you Wes Welker, best of luck.

If the Pats go spread, there won't be extra guys to help with Welker. For that matter, if the Jets keep up an aggressive blitz, there won't be extra personnel anyway.

And to me, this is the key. The Jets biggest strength is their blitzes. They draw up some great ones and put pressure on the QB from all directions. However, that leaves receivers one on one with the cb's. Against the Raven's, you can do that but not against the Pats. The Pat's have too many weapons to throw to, especially Welker, the best in the game at the quick slant. And with the safeties blitzing, if he gets by his man he's gone. I think Rex will dial down the blitzing this week to keep both safeties back. This will prevent the big play from the pats, but it also removes their biggest weapon on D.

I think Rex will dial down the blitzing this week to keep both safeties back. This will prevent the big play from the pats, but it also removes their biggest weapon on D.

Yet he won't. This is not who Ryan is. He is the man with the big ego, he gambles, and for him, it's everything or nothing. It's not in his nature to play conservative. That's why we will use that liability against him.

That would just play right into the 46 defense. We want to counter their box philosophy by staying as spread as possible.

I heard or read recently that keeping guys in to block causes protection problems by creating more confusion with lots of blitzers and blockers. The QB rules also favor the spread.

In game one last season Fred Taylor had 8 carries for 46 yards and that was with Jenkins. I think Fred will make an impact out of the spread running the ball.

In the passing game I see Welker and Edelman as the best options. In the first Jets game we know Welker was out and Edelman dropped two that killed drives. One would have been a TD. That's is why that game ended up as an L. No Welker and his replacement wasn't good enough, yet.

I heard or read recently that keeping guys in to block causes protection problems by creating more confusion with lots of blitzers and blockers. The QB rules also favor the spread.

In game one last season Fred Taylor had 8 carries for 46 yards and that was with Jenkins. I think Fred will make an impact out of the spread running the ball.

In the passing game I see Welker and Edelman as the best options. In the first Jets game we know Welker was out and Edelman dropped two that killed drives. One would have been a TD. That's is why that game ended up as an L. No Welker and his replacement wasn't good enough, yet.

That is exactly what they thrive on. The more people you have in to block, the more there is to keep track of, and the more chances things are going to screw up (e.g., Gronk's missed block last week that thankfully Taylor backtracked to pick up). Ryan's 46 is built around the fact that he will always have one more blitzer to send in more than you have guys to block. It's a scheme that deploys and continually builds up with more and more options coming in until all your blocks are used up, leaving that one guy open to take out Brady.

This is why I argue that we need to beat this scheme by getting rid of the ball before the scheme has a chance to develop. It's a simple strategy.

That's why I hope we see Brady in empty 80% of the snaps, and jays52 made a good point that he should be under in 3 step, and not in shotgun because he moves better when he is under. Without the added protection, Brady has more targets and can always kill the play by grounding at the nearest receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News