PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread Week 12 PostGame Thread: NE Loses 10-7 to NYG

Immediate Postgame Reactions
Bill the coach is good. Bill the GM has always been lackluster.

But it's his utter failure the last 8 or so years in drafting/roster evaluation which has got us here.

Bill has been able to win with Cassell, Jimmy G, Brissett...but those were Superbowl caliber rosters.

The barmore breakout season is here. The pats run defense is #1 in the NFL at 3.4 ypc against. He’s playing starter snaps, has 20 run stops & 5 batted passes. Probably the biggest positive of this mess of a season.
Given the injuries and complete ineptitude of our offense, the D as a whole has played spectacularly well. I agree with you on Barmore, he has been a monster this year. He’s approaching the Seymour level

The Pats signed Newton to less money in 2020 than they did in 2021. Was he a back up in 2020? Must have been because he got third string QB money that season.

Again, the Pats didn't draft Mac Jones until April 29, 2021. When the Pats signed Agholor, Bourne, Henry, and Smith, Newton was the only QB on the roster except for Hoyer. At that point, the 49ers hadn't even traded up yet. So there was no way for the Pats to know if they would have a rookie QB who could start day one when they signed those guys. It seemed extremely obvious that Newton was there to start the season. Hell, that is why he asked for and got his release when Jones was named the starter. Because Newton thought he was going to start.
I said he got backup money. Big difference.

I don't know why this was so difficult. Clearly those guys were brought on at the same TIME as Newton. Newton had a pretty bad year in 2020. He wasn't going to start. He was an emergency guy in case the Patriots found no one else.

Newton couldn't throw.

It would be criminal at this point for the Patriots to play their way out of a top 3 pick.

They're literally in prime position for the first overall pick at this point.

Panthers fired their coach and have no reason to purposely lose games so they MIGHT be able to like up a win here or there.

However, there's no reason for the Cardinals to lose the rest of their games. Theyre bad. But are they 2 and 15 bad?

We should be able to get a top QB and if Bill doesn't wanna stick around for all that, great. Find the next offensive guru and let's get this thing moving.

Everyone. Must. Go.

Except Gonzalez.

Barmore really stands out. There have been a few other pleasant surprises - Tavai. Jennings, Sow.
Christian Gonzalez, Marcus Jones, Rhamondre, Zeke, Bourne, Judon, Bentley. The guy that's showing toughness and willingness to mix it up is Cole Strange. He looks bigger to me and is one of the first guys to take on opponents trying to intimidate the Patriots in the last few games.

It disappointed me in the draft and free agency that the Patriots didn't draft an offensive lineman early and spend real money on veteran Tackle instead of bringing in a bunch of journeymen. They have the draft and cap space to do that in 2024 to protect whoever the QB is and open lanes for Zeke and Rhamondre.

...And if Mac can get his head back on straight, he can be more than serviceable. In the right system, he could be good...

No, he can't. Corky's everything you do NOT want in your QB/Leader.

Hunter Henry, Ezekiel Elliot, Kendrick Bourne, Juju Smith-Shuster, Jonnu Smith, Nelson Aghalor, Riley Reiff. And that's just off the top of my head. Sure, most of them were either disappointments or outright busts. But it's wrong to say:

They tried. Pretty hard, it looks like. Which is all anyone can ask.

The RBs & TEs aren't total catastrophes - though Bill STILL hasn't replaced SweetFeet - but they really didn't try that hard, if at all, regarding the WRs & OL.

In retrospect, when a dude's nickname is McEnroe (as in the opposite of Joe Cool), one probably shouldn't pick him as an NFL starting QB.
Yeah it's one thing to hate losing it's another to throw tantrums in public without any kind of winning career.

...There's an outstanding defensive core coming back in 2024, and with the right QB and a couple of starting offensive linemen, this team can be a quick turnaround. If I were Robert Kraft, I'd keep Belichick as coach and do a major overhaul of the front office.

If Bill's willing to be a HC-Only without final say in Any and All personnel matters - ESPECIALLY during draft weekend - and also without ANY input on who his new GM/Boss will be, then yeah why not... I'd certainly prefer to see him with the wins record instead of The Hated Shula, but not if it means continuing at the pace of the past 4 seasons.

Ehhh… they were competitive from 97-99. Unless you mean before BB was hired into the organization by Tuna and Kraft in 96

Even then, they were competitive from the last 1/3 of '93 up until Bill's hire as DBs coach, with '95 being an injury-marred, unlucky blip.

Reactions: sb1
Been saying this until I’m blue in the face:

The defense does not need an entire rebuild next year. Just a couple resources. There’s a lot to like on that side of the ball.

I get annoyed when people say this is due for an entire roster overhaul. It is on OFFENSE.

The DL needs another End opposite Judon, but that does NOT mean re-signing Uche, who completely Sucks without him AND whom Bill should've absolutely traded at the deadline, the ****ing clueless old incompetent.

We also need a LB who can actually cover somebody. I thought that was gonna be Marty McPoo's job, but...

And we also need At Least one other starting-caliber Outside CB.

And finally we need a starting-caliber Free Safety.

So, more than just a couple of resources.

...Oh hey, the Pats do have a kicker after all. Well, technically he's a FG kicker but he comes across more as a FG misser. And boy I bet the Tankheads were giddy with joy over that miss. Losers rejoice.

I was giddy with joy, that's for sure.

Embrace the Tank: it's good for the soul.

The DL needs another End opposite Judon, but that does NOT mean re-signing Uche, who completely Sucks without him AND whom Bill should've absolutely traded at the deadline, the ****ing clueless old incompetent.

We also need a LB who can actually cover somebody. I thought that was gonna be Marty McPoo's job, but...

And we also need At Least one other starting-caliber Outside CB.

And finally we need a starting-caliber Free Safety.

So, more than just a couple of resources.
Good news here Captain is that the FA class at edge is absolutely loaded. Uche won't even crack the top 10-15 of options there.

I'd add Marcus Jones to the loss of Matthew Judon and Christian Gonzalez.

I posted this a few minutes ago, but it's worth dropping it in again:

The Patriots are 9th in the NFL in defensive points allowed and 29th in Time of Possession. This offense is not doing its part to sustain drives and keep the defense off the field. The Patriots defense is doing its part.

Marcus the Midget sucks on defense.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back