PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WEEI/Reiss: Pats expected to release Colvin [mergedx6]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, this leaves a lot of question marks, but you have to have faith that the FO has the answers.

They have multiple viable options for filling out the LB crew - they wouldn't release Colvin if they didn't.

I guess my question is if they were trimming the fat, why not cut Rodney and try and re-sign him for less than his current 3 mill cap hit. Rodney's cap hit would be next to nothing if cut whereas Colvin is 2.5 mill even if he's cut. On top of that, I think you have a better chance of turning right around and re-signing Rodney than you do Colvin.

But again, I'm going to bank on the fact BB knows what he's doing.

Sorry, what?

The Pats just released Oscar Lua, too.

Now I'm really not sure what's going on, although, I still trust that BB/SP know what they're doing.

Am I missing something, but why didn't the Pats try and trade Rosie?
You see it all the time in the NBA, where a team will get some value out of a guy, and some other team wants the expiring contract.

I knew they wanted to go young, but I didn't think they'd get rid on=f one of their youngest, good lb's.

Missing that #31 pick really hurts now.

Two words.

Jason Taylor.

This is one small step for mankind, one giant leep for the New England Patriots linebacker core.

Two words.

Jason Taylor.

This is one small step for mankind, one giant leep for the New England Patriots linebacker core.

Isn't Jason Taylor under contract with the Dolphins?

I think Karlos Dansby would look nice in Pats uniform. :) Why pay 7M to a rookie when you can get a fairly young, talented, and proven vet?

I think Karlos Dansby would look nice in Pats uniform. :) Why pay 7M to a rookie when you can get a fairly young, talented, and proven vet?

That "fairly young, talented, and proven vet" is franchised.

I wonder if Calvin Pace is on the Patriots radar.

Re: Rosie cut by pats

Colvin is coming to the colts atleast that is the rumor around Indy and has been since right after the superbowl. He even built a new house here maybe the pats are trying to free up enough money to re-sign moss.

Colvin was born and raised in Indy so that makes sense.

Last edited:
Isn't Jason Taylor under contract with the Dolphins?

yea we would have to trade for him. I smell one of the pats 3rd rounders.

Pats has done a lot of interviews since last week. I expect to see pats introduce new players next week.

I am blown away that they are/have released Colvin. Especially when it was felt that he'd recover without issues from his foot injury. Yes, there was the contract, but that could have been restructured easily enough.

The other minor move which has some ramifications is the release of Lua as well.

The Pats linebacking corps now consists of Vrabel, Thomas, Woods (ERFA), Alexander, Izzo and Slaughter.

I am blown away that they are/have released Colvin. Especially when it was felt that he'd recover without issues from his foot injury. Yes, there was the contract, but that could have been restructured easily enough.

The other minor move which has some ramifications is the release of Lua as well.

The Pats linebacking corps now consists of Vrabel, Thomas, Woods (ERFA), Alexander, Izzo and Slaughter.

I suppose a big FA splash is a'coming.

I just woke up to this and the Faulk story.

What the Faulk is going on here???

I just woke up to this and the Faulk story.

What the Faulk is going on here???

Well, at least you had a good night's sleep -- I'm just going to bed. How am I supposed to sleep now that the sky is falling? ;)

What's interesting at this point is trying to figure the FO's overall strategy. Does cutting Colvin signify a major change in philosophy or was it simply to free up cap space. My guess is that considering the Pats ruthless emphasis on value that they felt Colvin simply was not worth paying that amount of money for. I know that it might have been possible to extend him but we don't know what transpired and what Colvin's position was. My guess is that they need cap space to sign Moss and perhaps go for another FA. I wonder if part of this is that BB has given up on Thomas being an ILB and wants him to be full time OLB, where he is much more effective?

Well, seems everyone thought Thomas was much better suited to playing outside, were surprised when they put him in the inside at the beginning of the year. Looking ahead to this coming year's cap hit, maybe they had this move in mind when they signed Thomas.

Like the signing of Harrison while we still had Milloy.

And we sacrificed Vrabel's optimum positioning when we had to play him inside the year before. That was what seemed strange, if still exciting, when they snapped Thomas up. Vrabel and Thomas on the outside sounds plenty good to me.

Maybe now they'll really focus/have a plan for addressing the ILB positions.

Got me what that'll be. Wish we drafted D Harris last year, but wdik...

Looks like the Patriots will be drafting alot of cornerbacks and linebackers this year.

Does cutting Colvin signify a major change in philosophy or was it simply to free up cap space.
Maybe Colvin didn't care for the annual Willie McGinest discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST