PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WEEI/Rapoport: Brady deal "imminent" - 3 years, $58M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to see some big progress (supposedly) being made. Honest question though; weren't most people expecting something longer than 3 years? I kept hearing things like "he'll be a Patriot the rest of his career" throughout the offseason. I'm guessing he's got more than 3-4 years left in him.

Glad to see some big progress (supposedly) being made. Honest question though; weren't most people expecting something longer than 3 years? I kept hearing things like "he'll be a Patriot the rest of his career" throughout the offseason. I'm guessing he's got more than 3-4 years left in him.

yeah, i thought the same thing. i hate to say it, but ive already prepared myself mentally to see Brady in a different uniform at some point. i'll enjoy him as long as we have him. I hope its more than the next 4 years.

Brady ,Kraft and BB respect each other. Whatever the final $$$$ figures are, it will be a win-win for all. Pats may be waiting for new CBA to be finalized and then rework TB's contract down the road abit when they have a clearer picture and he can have it reworked again.

Getting Mankins a new contract may not be in the cards. If it actually is, it makes sense to start BEFORE taking care of Randy.

Randy will be playing his arse off to prove he still has it.....no matter what

Last edited:

The salary cap is likely coming back next year, and you can't take the risk of being on the hook for a massive salary cap hit if, God forbid, that QB that signed a 6-year deal starts declining in year 3. [This goes as much for the Colts and Saints as for the Pats, though Brees is "only" 31.]

I think this was always one of the big hangups; I wouldn't be surprised if Manning's deal also runs for only 3 years, 4 max.

Last edited:
The salary cap is likely coming back next year, and you can't take the risk of being on the hook for a massive salary cap hit if, God forbid, that QB that signed a 6-year deal starts declining in year 3. [This goes as much for the Colts and Saints as for the Pats, though Brees is "only" 31.]

I think this was always one of the big hangups; I wouldn't be surprised if Manning's deal also runs for only 3 years, 4 max.

Ok, that makes sense. So the Pats are basically just being cautious in regards to Brady getting older. Let's hope he's playing well enough & in good enough physical shape to be getting another extension a few years from now. My gut feeling is that he will.

If the new deal is averaging $16 million, then that means the old deal just went up in value too, right? If the old deal was 6 years at $62 million, and the 6th year of that deal is now considered part of the new deal (but valued at $6 million) then in actuality, his old deal was a 5 years at $56 million deal, or $11 million a year.

I guess you could make that case if there was anything to be gained in the process...

ESPN - Sources: Tom Brady's deal with New England Patriots not done yet

Despite a report that a deal between Tom Brady and the New England Patriots is imminent, no contract is in place, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Tuesday.

The two sides have generated significant momentum, sources tell ESPNBoston.com's Mike Reiss, but reports of a deal are "wrong" and "inaccurate," according to Schefter.

The Boston Herald, citing sources close to the negotiations, reported that the Patriots offered their franchise quarterback a three-year, $58 million contract that would kick in after this season. He is set to earn $6 million this year.

Last edited:
I guess you could make that case if there was anything to be gained in the process...

What's to be gained is this: from now until the end of the contract Brady will be compared to Eli and Brees and other QBs, and as ever, people will pont out that Brady is only making $16 million a year.

Essentially, the patriots get called cheap. And why? Because they pay bonus and guaranteed money up front which leaves the final year salary looking like nothing.

Oh, you mean the Patriots are only paying the guy $6 million in the first year of the deal? They are so cheap.

The reality is that, when you take into account the bonuses, Brady earned an average of $10+ in the last deal. That's the proper way too view it. In actual money on a per year basis, this new deal is not a $16 million a year average but rather ($58 + $10+ from this year = $68 over 4 years, or...) $17 million per year.

Because of the uncertainty about the cap and the rules on how money is treated going forward it's almost impossible to do a long term deal of double digit magnitude now that you are comfortable will work for both sides in a year or two from now. The team can't guarantee the bulk of any deal in an extension (such as Manning and Brady would be receiving) because of the reallocation rule in the expiring CBA short of signing bonus. Signing bonus is generally based on the total value of the deal - ergo the longer and larger the deal the bigger the signing bonus which is paid up front. Neither team is in position to give these guys a signing bonus in excess of $50M which is what it would take on a 5 or 6 year $100M+/- deal. And a 6 year deal is unmanageable because the amortization for signing bonus under the expiring CBA is only 5 years (including 2010) under the expiring CBA. If both were FA next season they could be in line for a 6 or 7 year deal with guaranteed option as well as signing bonus that could be spread over the entire term of the deal. And the team would have more flexibility to manage those deals going forward. But again, if you want a deal done now you have to find a compromise. It's either short term but guaranteed or long term and not really.

MoLewisrocks...are you a capologist or an agent?

You know sh*t that amazes me :rocker:

What's to be gained is this: from now until the end of the contract Brady will be compared to Eli and Brees and other QBs, and as ever, people will pont out that Brady is only making $16 million a year.

Essentially, the patriots get called cheap. And why? Because they pay bonus and guaranteed money up front which leaves the final year salary looking like nothing.

Oh, you mean the Patriots are only paying the guy $6 million in the first year of the deal? They are so cheap.

The reality is that, when you take into account the bonuses, Brady earned an average of $10+ in the last deal. That's the proper way too view it. In actual money on a per year basis, this new deal is not a $16 million a year average but rather ($58 + $10+ from this year = $68 over 4 years, or...) $17 million per year.

No, because if you actually want to look at it that way you'd have to do the same for Eli and every other QB and in effect that's not gonna work out the way you envisioned because they all got lots more money in their rookie deals (Eli got close to Brady money)... Everybody pays bonus and guaranteed money up front. Most also backload some salary. Brady didn't demand any because he never expected to play out the deal and he paid the price because he ended up playing out a 6 year deal with below average backend salaries. Manning didn't... Eli wasn't going to either. Brees was franchise tagged before he essentially signed Brady's deal as a FA with less guaranteed money or leverage because he was coming off potential career ending shoulder surgery...Palmer, Vick, McNabb, Favre were all out earning Brady over the term of this deal once he got past the first 4 seasons...some were outearning him even in the early portion of the deal. Palmer got a whopping extension on top of a #1 contract in the fall of his third season...JaMarcus got $34M and was gone in 3 years. If they had cut Brady after his third season in this deal he'd have taken home $37.5M. They're not cheap, they just aren't stupid. And he isn't just a doormat, he measures his worth in achievement and not $$$. That the vast majority of mediots don't see that says more about them than us unless we also don't get it.

No, because if you actually want to look at it that way you'd have to do the same for Eli and every other QB and in effect that's not gonna work out the way you envisioned because they all got lots more money in their rookie deals (Eli got close to Brady money)... Everybody pays bonus and guaranteed money up front. Most also backload some salary. Brady didn't demand any because he never expected to play out the deal and he paid the price because he ended up playing out a 6 year deal with below average backend salaries. Manning didn't... Eli wasn't going to either. Brees was franchise tagged before he essentially signed Brady's deal as a FA with less guaranteed money or leverage because he was coming off potential career ending shoulder surgery...Palmer, Vick, McNabb, Favre were all out earning Brady over the term of this deal once he got past the first 4 seasons...some were outearning him even in the early portion of the deal. Palmer got a whopping extension on top of a #1 contract in the fall of his third season...JaMarcus got $34M and was gone in 3 years. If they had cut Brady after his third season in this deal he'd have taken home $37.5M. They're not cheap, they just aren't stupid. And he isn't just a doormat, he measures his worth in achievement and not $$$. That the vast majority of mediots don't see that says more about them than us unless we also don't get it.

I'm talking about the new deal though.

We've been measuring Brady's old contract based on averages for the last few years.

I know Peyton gets paid top dollar, but he too as at the end of his deal right now.

I'm talking about the new deal though.

We've been measuring Brady's old contract based on averages for the last few years.

I know Peyton gets paid top dollar, but he too as at the end of his deal right now.

Brady's deal is less than multiple others by pretty much every measure at this juncture. Embrace it, he has... Manning is making more now on average than his overall deal averaged. It is what it is. When the dust settles Tom will make more than anyone not named Peyton Manning. He's OK with that. With a rookie cap in place that should remain the case unless someone really earns more or owners retain their supply of stupid pills as part of the CBA extension... Favre may play to 60 and if he does Bus will see that he can make a dollar more than whomever. That's OK though since he'll probably need it since he doesn't have a clue what to do with himself besides sit on a freakin' tractor and crave attention once he can't play on Sunday.

If Tom decides to settle for a short term extension, that's his decision. Knowing his mentality he will just take that as a challenge to position himself for the next one...you know how his favotite goal is always striving for the next one...

Brady signing creates a window to sign/bring in the hard cases (Mankins and/or Moss), in that it gives an excuse for the team to say "NOW we'll pay attention to you."

That said, I don't have any particular reason to think anything will happen in those regards.

Brady's deal is less than multiple others by pretty much every measure at this juncture. Embrace it, he has... Manning is making more now on average than his overall deal averaged. It is what it is. When the dust settles Tom will make more than anyone not named Peyton Manning. He's OK with that. With a rookie cap in place that should remain the case unless someone really earns more or owners retain their supply of stupid pills as part of the CBA extension... Favre may play to 60 and if he does Bus will see that he can make a dollar more than whomever. That's OK though since he'll probably need it since he doesn't have a clue what to do with himself besides sit on a freakin' tractor and crave attention once he can't play on Sunday.

If Tom decides to settle for a short term extension, that's his decision. Knowing his mentality he will just take that as a challenge to position himself for the next one...you know how his favotite goal is always striving for the next one...

Just to be clear: I'm not pimping for anyone here.

All I'm saying is that, if we're going to talk numbers, put them in the proper context. Otherwise we're comparing apples and oranges. If the average yearly payout of the previous deal isn't taken into account when the last year of that deal is folded into the deal, it becomes hard to have any discussion of salaries at all.

Perhaps that's as it should be, but you already have people saying Brady demanded more money than Eli Manning.

Someone mentioned saving face...here it is. ESPN trying to save face for not breaking the story by reporting it while taking some shots at the Herald for being the first and primary source.

I'd agree if it was one of ESPN's crappy reporters, but I doubt ESPN would ask Schefter to take that his to his credibility. He's the most reliable guy in the business, to the point that I usually take what he reports as fact. Now, I wouldn't be shocked if ESPN brass is dumb enough to screw that up, but it doesn't make sense. For now, I'm inclined to believe that the Herald probably jumped the gun a little (are we really that quick to forget that they have a history of doing exactly that?...). Rapoport's a damn good beat writer, but it's certainly possible that either he or his source could have gotten a little bit ahead of themselves.

Either way, this is a tough one, because Rapoport and Schefter are both very credible. If I had to guess, the truth is probably in the grey area where either one of them could be right depending on how you're looking at it. As in, the Brady deal is close but not quite imminent (which are both subjective terms in the first place).

Someone mentioned saving face...here it is. ESPN trying to save face for not breaking the story by reporting it while taking some shots at the Herald for being the first and primary source.
We all know that the Herald would never jump the gun without confirmation on a big Patriots' story...oops, sorry about that Tomase...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents