PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WEEI/Rapoport: Brady deal "imminent" - 3 years, $58M

Status
Not open for further replies.
breer as usual asked BB about it today

Albert Breer (albertbreer) on Twitter

Belichick on Brady talks: "I don't have anything to report on any contracts."

Asked Belichick again about wanting to get contract wrapped up before season: "It's the same question, I'll give you the same answer."

BB on having Brady for whole career: "Really our focus is on the Bengals. As far as a lot of future planning and contracts ...

BB on Brady (cont) ... "I'm not really gonna get into that right now."

i get it that you need to ask the question as part of the job. But how many times ?

hope it's true... I'd love for Brady to once again take less than Manning. And I have little doubt Manning wants more than 19.3 per.

Non-update update from ESPN_Boston.

Sources: Brady's deal not done yet - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Pretty funny "nothing new here" paragraph:

It’s no surprise that signs are pointing to a deal being close. Over the weekend, ESPN Boston’s Mike Reiss suggested that this time before Week 1 of the season was crunch time for the extension talks and that if a deal was to be struck, it would likely happen before Sunday's season opener.
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/columns/story?columnist=reiss_mike&id=5530092

Last edited:

its funny that everyone is jumping for credit on this. reiss says this and then breer says
Report: Brady's deal "almost done" - Extra Points - Boston.com
The sides have worked over the last month on getting an extension hammered out. I wrote extensively at the start of training camp on all the complications involved in such a deal.

now everyone is claiming some credit to what is happening..:)

I was expecting Brady to get over 100 million for 5 years. 3 years is pretty short for a healthy qb in his prime. When Brady is 36, he'd still be at the twilight of his prime I think.

Whatever it is, Moss is certainly waiting in line for his next payday...especially now that Revis got a boatload of money.

hope it's true... I'd love for Brady to once again take less than Manning. And I have little doubt Manning wants more than 19.3 per.

I don't know, Condon certainly would but he has a different agenda than his client. Manning has been playing for $14-15M without a whimper. He certainly is worth more than his kid brother who is now averaging more than $16M. Manning may top $20M, but the media hysteria about $25M is just that, hysteria. The real issues are guaranteed money and relative standing in light of an unknown future cap. I'm confident Brady will take less than Peyton Manning as long as it's not too much less and he remains abouve the second tier fray (first tier being he, Peyton and maybe Brees, period). The rookies may appear to be overpaid, and they are and that has fueled the QB market value data (which is why Bus got Brett some incentives that could pay him $20 even though it wasn't about the money...), but their deals aren't fully guaranteed to overpay them (although they have the potential to if they suck and can't be dealt or restructured...) and there won't be any more of those after this season. Some of the second tier is overpaid, but they may not ever see the end of their deals. These guys do and their teams get a break in the process because they consistently deliver. Their teams may not always prevail, but it's not really because of them (OK, except for Peyton's little tendancy to oops on the ultimate stage).

NECN posted at 10 AM a recap of the story and the denials by ESPN but stressed that what's happened is that the sides have agreed on the 4-year term of this extension (this year at $6.3m plus three more at $58m = $64m over 4 averaging $16 million and change per.) with most of it guaranteed.

This pushes Brady past Manning's present 7-year $98m deal at $14 million per average so both sides claim victory.

If they are that far along, the money and guarantees are the remaining issue and can be worked out with the current roster set in anticipation of whatever the Krafts think the 2011 and beyond cap numbers might look like. This is a good deal for Brady in these uncertain collective bargaining times and pays him through age 36. Manning would be next at a higher per year number but probably in the same 4-5 year range.

Let's hope they get this done and re-do Moss' contract for another 2 years or so at Revis money ($8m or so most guaranteed.)

I think that a lot of this angst is founded in the media's underlying inability to believe that it's not that big a deal if a deal isn't done now. They have similar angst about the roster and stuff, too, but that doesn't mean Bill is bound to evaluate the situation as they do...

NECN posted at 10 AM a recap of the story and the denials by ESPN but stressed that what's happened is that the sides have agreed on the 4-year term of this extension (this year at $6.3m plus three more at $58m = $64m over 4 averaging $16 million and change per.) with most of it guaranteed.

It's a Curran story. Link (I think this is the one):

Brady deal could be imminent

This is basically done..Inside source told me so about week and a half ago..Brady and Kraft agreed to framework i believe at that time

I am guessing that the deal is basically done, but not yet finalized. I expect an announcement for Brady being signed before Sunday.

I think that a lot of this angst is founded in the media's underlying inability to believe that it's not that big a deal if a deal isn't done now. They have similar angst about the roster and stuff, too, but that doesn't mean Bill is bound to evaluate the situation as they do...

I agree with your view of the media, but believe this one is a Bob & Jonathan Kraft decision to take care of the goose that laid their very large golden egg.

For Brady and his advisors this is a huge deal that is necessary before the first snap and the potential for an injury that might undermine the guaranteed money. Brady's been such a straight shooter with these guys, especially this pre-season, and this is the last big contract with megabucks guaranteed.

Moss is a different story and there I think BB will make the tough call about whether to extend him another couple of years based on past WR productivity this late in their careers. Moss is getting to the diminishing returns stage but he is so physically talented.

This pushes Brady past Manning's present 7-year $98m deal at $14 million per average so both sides claim victory.

If they are that far along, the money and guarantees are the remaining issue and can be worked out with the current roster set in anticipation of whatever the Krafts think the 2011 and beyond cap numbers might look like. This is a good deal for Brady in these uncertain collective bargaining times and pays him through age 36. Manning would be next at a higher per year number but probably in the same 4-5 year range.

Let's hope they get this done and re-do Moss' contract for another 2 years or so at Revis money ($8m or so most guaranteed.)

I'm glad NECN feels it's figured it out, only they can't guarantee most of it unless they are paying most of it in the form of a signing bonus because of the reallocation rule... So while a 4 year deal that averages over $16M and guarantees most of it might be OK for both sides I doubt there is any agreement on how to achieve that in reality...unless Bob is now prepared to write Tommy a check for in excess of $30M or even $40M (or a series of checks for that total over the next 6 months...) in addition to his paycheck.

This is basically done..Inside source told me so about week and a half ago..Brady and Kraft agreed to framework i believe at that time

Let me say this clearly, they hate their owner.

Last edited:
If the new deal is averaging $16 million, then that means the old deal just went up in value too, right? If the old deal was 6 years at $62 million, and the 6th year of that deal is now considered part of the new deal (but valued at $6 million) then in actuality, his old deal was a 5 years at $56 million deal, or $11 million a year.

Is the 6.3M going to be his actual salary # for this year or will they add some of the new deal into this year? Since it is uncapped would make sense to

Perhaps a juicy signing bonus? :singing:

god, tha Krafts are so cheap! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back