PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WEEI/Rapoport: Brady deal "imminent" - 3 years, $58M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shefter is usually dead on with his info. However, this could go either way, Shefter's tweet said his sources told him a deal was not in place....well, the herald report never said the deal was in place, it said the deal was on the table and brady has yet to agree. so it could just be a play of words. anyway, as Shefter stated..."we'll see!"

... The herald report never said the deal was in place, it said the deal was on the table and brady has yet to agree.

Exactly. I don't understand how that translates to all this "deal is 'imminent' " stuff. I hope it's true, but ...

Re: Per WEEI - Brady deal done

No, it wasn't and it isn't. Brady's previous contract in real money averaged just over $10M. It was a 6 year $60M with a couple of million tacked on to the final years during his last restructure to accommodate Moss's deal. The new deal if he took it would then become a 4 year $64.5M deal with $58M in new money covering the 3 additional years.

This is news to me. I thought Brady was on his third contract with the Patriots, with the second one being a $10 million deal and the latest being a $15 million.

Oh well, I can recall reading that, but I'll defer to you.

Still, if the previous deal averaged $10+, I think it's not telling the whole story to say the new deal is 4 years at $64; it should be 4 years at $68.

Schefter, ESPN hate or not, is usually dead on with his info. When he or Mike Reiss tweets it I'll believe it. As for now I am filing this under "Probable".

I will believe Brady gets a new contract when it is announced.

Great point by you.
We don't negotiate in public, but by the same token neither side is above sending messages to each other or the fan base or whomever else they feel the need to get a message to via media.

I believe they have had the parameters of a long term deal in place for some time now (which is why while there may be some frustration there is no animosity) but the problem lies in how to make it work functionally and fairly for both interests entering an uncertain landscape. Far as I know nothing has changed on that score. Going short has always been an interim option, but that doesn't work real well for either side, either. Brady then loses leverage on his to retirement deal because of his age while the team risks uncertain future costs what could be a tougher negotiation going forward. That's how Seymour landed in Oakland...although in his case I think that was the only option the team was willing to entertain for top dollar because they not only had some nagging doubts about his durability but also his functional leadership value. They have none of that with Brady.

New England media probably just needed some "news" after the NY Revis signing. :bricks:

Please make it so

boy_dog_praying.jpg

That dog is a genius...

Exactly. I don't understand how that translates to all this "deal is 'imminent' " stuff. I hope it's true, but ...
Because that's the word that was used :

To be clear on Brady's contract. We are reporting a deal is "imminent" not done. Brady camp has not formally agreed, could come in 24 hours

Ian R. Rapoport (RapSheet) on Twitter

The story that led to all this is just so weak. ALl it says is an offer was made. Woop-de-do. There's no remotely clear indication that Brady/Brady's people have signalled a favorable response.

I beleive where there is smoke, there is fire. The deal will get done. Probably before Sunday. Call it a hunch.

"Imminent" was used in Rapoport's tweets and blog, but not in the story.
Tweets and Blogs are part of "the story". Welcome to 2010.

You said "I don't understand how that translates to all this "deal is 'imminent'", well the tweets using the word "imminent" is how is translates to that.

I don't "tweet" but I accept that's part of "the story" and how people communicate now.

When asked how he contributed to the Boston Herald report, veteran reporter Ron Borges cited a tried and true tactic..."I punched out a cripple!"

Tweets and Blogs are part of "the story". Welcome to 2010.

You said "I don't understand how that translates to all this "deal is 'imminent'", well the tweets using the word "imminent" is how is translates to that.

I don't "tweet" but I accept that's part of "the story" and how people communicate now.

The tweets are Rapoport being a good scout and advancing his colleagues' breaking news story. He added the "imminent" without supporting material; that's what I'm questioning.

I'm pretty up to speed on tweets and blogs advancing the story and being part of it, thanks. But the actual reporting in this case still exists only in the "story" on the Herald site. And all that story says is that an offer was made.

Like everyone else here I want this deal wrapped up, and I totally believe it will be done before the season. But I will believe it's been/will be done only when the reporting more clearly justifies that belief.

The tweets are Rapoport being a good scout and advancing his colleagues' breaking news story. He added the "imminent" without supporting material; that's what I'm questioning.

I'm pretty up to speed on tweets and blogs advancing the story and being part of it, thanks. But the actual reporting in this case still exists only in the "story" on the Herald site. And all that story says is that an offer was made.
Tweets are part of the reporting now. It's not like word of mouth where you can deny it. Once it's out electronically, it's out. It's attached to you and, whether you like it or not, you have reported it.

I have no clue if it will be done in 24 hours. It has been reported as imminent, however, rightly or wrongly.

I agree about Moss. Get Brady's deal settled and then work getting Moss for a few more years.

Mankin's has already burned his bridges.

Actually, if the team isn't holding any sort of grudge toward Mankins, his contract talks should now heat up. I said earlier in the offseason that I didn't think that we'd be seeing anything significant on the Mankins front until we got a deal done with Brady. The team played hardball and put out a single contract offer. Will they now open the lines of communication with Mankins again?

As for Brady, if the deal really is imminent and we're just waiting for him to sign on the dotted line... whew! It's been a long time coming and Brady is loaded. The Colts are going to have to pony up for Manning.

Tweets are part of the reporting now. It's not like word of mouth where you can deny it. Once it's out electronically, it's out. It's attached to you and, whether you like it or not, you have reported it.

I have no clue if it will be done in 24 hours. It has been reported as imminent, however, rightly or wrongly.

Fair enough. I do feel like Rapoport is going to turn out to be Borges's patsy on this one.:)

Fair enough. I do feel like Rapoport is going to turn out to be Borges's patsy on this one.:)
My gut feeling is 24 hours from now we'll still be waiting . . . .

This is news to me. I thought Brady was on his third contract with the Patriots, with the second one being a $10 million deal and the latest being a $15 million.

Oh well, I can recall reading that, but I'll defer to you.

Still, if the previous deal averaged $10+, I think it's not telling the whole story to say the new deal is 4 years at $64; it should be 4 years at $68.

Believe half of what you see and none of what hear...

Check out Miguel's site and click on Brady's name and you will have a history and breakdown of his contract deals with little misconstrued spin...

He is on his third deal because that first one was the bargain of the century. 3 years just $864K... The second one signed with a year remaining on that beauty was 5/$30M... With 2 years and about $11M in salary remaining on that deal, that was essentially an interim holy **** we can't let you get away as an RFA 'cause you may be kinda special deal, after 2004 they wanted to lock him up long term seeing as by then he had proven to be not only no flash in the pan but a HOF lock at 28...So he got a new deal for 6 years $60M. In total he has made about $82M in contract earnings as the QB of the NEP for 11 seasons (one as a 4th stringer and 10 as a starter). Average $7.5M per (or $8M per as a starter...).

Manning made $98M just in the last 7 years after playing out a then record setting 6 year $48M rookie deal signed in 1998. 13 seasons...$146M. Average $11M per.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes