PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We had a fire at our home Tuesday before last...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NovaScotiaPatsFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
jh031406fire1_Metro_03-15-06_KV255SM.jpg

Picture of what's left of our shop, notice the totally destroyed station wagon...

Now that I have internet on my computer and have some time I can relay to all of you what happened to me.

I went to sleep at about 9:55 am on Tuesday March the 14th after a night of gaming. I was awoken around 2pm (best estimate) by my brother screaming down to me "MURRAY! THE SHOP'S ON FIRE! I'M NOT JOKING!" Which we all thought later was funny, cuz why would he joke about something like that? What happened next was a blur, I don't remember where my cat was, just that he was in my arms when I got upstairs, I don't even remember grabbing him really. I do vaguely, but not the actual action. I remember getting my clothes on but didn't get my shoes on. I got up and I can't remember if I look out the main door and saw the shop burning or not. The next thing I remember is standing at the front door with Fluffer (my cat) in my hands in my socks, it was raining and my feet were soaked, I looked over at the shop and it was nothing but a huge fireball, it was clear right then it would be totally destroyed. Then my brother and helping to get dad out the front door, he had a stroke 2 years ago and can't move very fast without help. I remember seeing the smoke in the house. I put Fluffer in my van for the time being just because I had no other place to put him, and I didn't want him to run away or back in the house. Once we got Dad over in to our neighbor's car I went and got Fluffer and man he looked scared. At some point I saw Boyd (the guy that worked for my dad) and asked if he was ok, and he told me he was although to be honest in all the commotion I had forgotten all about him.

The firemen did an amazing job. The shop was gone before they even got there, nothing could have saved it. But the only real damage in our house is from the smoke and the ceilings in our living room and kitchen are gone and the attic. We need a whole new roof but I was amazed at how little damage was sustained in the house. We have 13 rooms and only 2 of them sustained major damage and 1 minor water damage. In my room, our 2 bathrooms, the laundry room our spare room and my brother's room you couldn't even tell there was a fire except for the smell. And in the kitchen and living room all the walls are in perfect condition, at least on the outside. All of our possesions were saved except for the sofa loveseat and chair in the livingroom and our radio, also in the living room.

A very early estimate to being able to move back in is 3 months, but we won't really have a firm timetable until the 2 contractors put in bids.

We were lucky though, there's no doubt about it. just 20 minutes before the fire Boyd had taken the setalene and oxygen tanks (for welding) out to our back shop, he normally stores them right by the furnace which was where the fire started. If they had have been there my father and brother would be dead for sure, he might have died depending on the timing of the explosion and I live in the concrete encased basement so it's anyone's guess if I would have died, although with my bro, my pop, and Boyd who's family by marriage but I consider by blood dead and my house destroyed I wouldn't have wanted to live anyway. Also if he had have been paining at the time it also would have exploded.

Here are the 2 newspaper stories about the fire, I've removed certain personal items for my privacy.

'You can't replace a life'

Jimmy * watched more than three decades of his father's life burn to the ground yesterday.

"I was in my bedroom and my father was in the living room," said *.

"And he called to me and said, 'There's smoke coming out of the shop!'

* had recently taken over *'s Autobody in * from his father. The detached garage was located next to the family home at * Drive, where *, his brother Murray and father Richard lived.

Jimmy * ran to the garage searching for shop worker Boyd *.

* wasn't inside at the time.

"As soon as we opened the door, it was just filled with smoke," said *.

He noticed the furnace was on fire, and * and * threw buckets of water on it. They attempted to push the car out of the shop, but it was also on fire.

As a result, * suffered minor burns.

'We gotta get out'

"After that, we just decided we gotta get out," said *.

* ran back to the house and woke his brother, who was sleeping in the basement apartment, and grabbed the cat and dog.

"We literally just abandoned the house and got out of there as quick as possible."

When firefighters arrived, the autobody shop was fully engulfed and spreading to the house and neighbour's garage, according to Halifax regional fire service spokesman Brian Gray.

"The crew stopped it from spreading to the adjacent garage (and) concentrated on doing an interior attack on the roof of the house," said Gray.

Firefighters used axes to rip holes in the ceiling, walls and roof of the home, then doused it with water.

* watched as firefighters chucked flaming shingles from his family home to the ground.

Firefighters extinguished the charred remains of two cars, one of which was inside the autobody shop. A half-burned white car was parked outside.

Explosions heard by neighbours were likely tires blowing up, said Gray. (actually they were paint cans)

Neighbour Donald * was doing his taxes with his brother at the kitchen table when he heard the blasts coming from across the narrow lane.

Boys might have been in there

"The first thing I thought was the boys might have been caught in there," said *.

"As far as I'm concerned, it's very, very fortunate everyone got out of there alive. It's a very scary thing. I thought for a moment it might spread over, but it didn't."

* invited the * into his home for the short term, although they plan to relocate to their * cottage until the home is repaired.

"I realize the house and the garage may have to be replaced, but you can always rebuild that stuff," said *.

"You can't replace a life."

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

Halifax firefighters battled a * blaze that destroyed an autobody shop and two cars and seriously damaged a house Tuesday afternoon.

Fire crews rushed to * Dr., the site of a house and adjoining autobody shop owned by Richard * and his adult sons James and Murray, at about 1:30 p.m.

James, who bought the autobody shop from his dad in January, said his father smelled smoke in the early afternoon. James then looked into the shop, but it was too smoky to see anything. He found a shop employee, Boyd *, who went inside.

"He said the furnace (was) on fire," James said. "We threw a bucket of water on it, but as soon as we saw how bad it was, we just got out."

At that point, Richard * dialed 911 and his son and others helped him out of the house. Richard, who owned the shop for 33 years, suffered a stroke two years ago. The * then saved their pets, a dog named Hank and a cat named Fluffer.

Platoon Chief Brian Gray said firefighters had lots to deal with when they arrived on the single-lane street, which goes steeply uphill off * Drive.

"We had a vehicle fully involved inside the garage, we had a vehicle fully involved exterior to the garage, as well as the two structures, the garage and the house."

Neighbours reported hearing explosions, attributed to paint, air tanks and other items inside the shop.

The fire left the * garage a blackened shell without a roof. A small station wagon inside the garage was destroyed, as was a white four-door Acura parked in front. The *s’ house sustained extensive damage, particularly on its west side, where firefighters cut through the roof with chainsaws.

"I’ve got nothing but bad luck," said James, who added that the property is insured.

A neighbouring garage, owned by Lise *, suffered some damage, and there appeared to be some heat-related damage to her home at * Dr.

Bernard *, a neighbour who watched the fire from across the street, saw the smoke coming from the shop before Mr. * and James ran over and opened the door.

"When they did that, the whole thing burst into flames," he said.

He said firefighters quickly arrived and worked efficiently.

And now I come back to find out we've lost Adam to the Dolts and Willie to the Brownies?? Wow, what a crappy month.

NSPF -
Sorry to hear about your business. Did they determine the cause of the fire?

Also, all is not lost regarding the Pats.

well, there were 4 guys we just "couldn"t lose, and now we've lost 1 of them...

Deepest sympathies. The fire puts the troubles of free agency into real context. We should never lose sight of the fact that football is just a game.

NovaScotiaPatsFan said:
well, there were 4 guys we just "couldn"t lose, and now we've lost 1 of them...

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree there. Whether you are talking about Willie or Adam. I honestly think that WILLIE being gone is a bigger hit to this team than Adam being gone. Adam's kicks were losing their distance and he was hurting the team with his inability to kick longer field goals consistently.

Losing Willie is a hit from a leadership standpoint because, its said, that he RAN the locker-room. It was HIS. If he looked at you when you were talking to reporters, the look meant you needed to zip it.

Anyways, they are gone. And the pats will have to move on. Its not like we, as fans, haven't been talking about this for 2-4 years. So its not unexpected. Just most of us thought that Willie would retire a Patriot.

NSPF,
My heart goes out to you. What a terrible loss. But the silver lining is everyone is OK, and that is what is most important.

Can we do anything to help?

I was talking about Adam. And sure we may be able to get a guy who can boot 55 yards, but there are very few guys out there that have the ice water in their veins like he does.

bloody colts.

AndyJohnson said:
NSPF,
My heart goes out to you. What a terrible loss. But the silver lining is everyone is OK, and that is what is most important.

Can we do anything to help?
Well, you could all get together and chip in and get me a hooker. ;)

seriously tho we're ok right now. I just wish this had happened during football season. but baseball's starting up soon and the NHL playoffs as well. so I'll be ok.

That's a really tough situation NSPF. I really do hope that you and your family are OK and will get back on your feet.

In my career, I've had to deal with many clients that have had your experieince. It's not easy no matter how "smooth" things go. The most important thing that no one was seriously injured.

Keep your head up and things will work out. This is one of the few things that take a back seat to football issues.

Wow, man, that's a tough reality check. I got my own a few weeks ago when I learned that my sister has bone marrow cancer. Sometimes we're forced to look at life in a different way in order to appreciate it. Sending some good vibes your way.

NovaScotiaPatsFan said:

seriously tho we're ok right now. I just wish this had happened during football season. but baseball's starting up soon and the NHL playoffs as well. so I'll be ok.

How about we post dirty pictures on the cheerleader thread? Would that make you feel better?:rocker: It would make me feel better.

Wish you the best in getting your lives back to normal. I guess this means you'll have to hug your brother for saving your life - it's OK, just do it where no one is watching! :rocker:

I don't even know you, but like everyone else here, knowing a life or four has been spared is excellent news.

Nova,

I've said a prayer for you, though I think you'll have to wait on the kindness of whichever pagan love goddess you follow if you want this cheap bunch (me especially) to spend money on your physical gratification. :snob:

I'm glad the family bailed out in time and you were able to tuck your kitty and puppy away safely. I can now see why it has been so quiet around the forum lately. Now that your back I expect a full report on the merits of CFL place kickers.

Hey, maybe Bill's Girl and Huge Crush would be willing to take a road trip to NS to console you.

Now, I'm not implying any thing but friendship here. And you better watch what you say about BB.

Just a thought.:cool:

PATSNUTme said:
Hey, maybe Bill's Girl and Huge Crush would be willing to take a road trip to NS to console you.

Now, I'm not implying any thing but friendship here. And you better watch what you say about BB.

Just a thought.:cool:
Coward, aren't they on a road trip tonight? Seems like you time your posts with some eye to personal safety.... :nono:

NovaScotiaPatsFan said:

That sux - really... friends of the family went through something similar after a Poptart started a fire in their toaster that burnt down their house (I'm not joking - it really happens - Poptarts even have a disclaimer on the box)

So given the value of the Candadian dollar it shouldn't take long to raise enough money for a hooker for you.

Of course, I'm sure you're also finding comfort from your cat "Fluffer" as well :rofl:

NSPF, just got in from work and read your story. Man, I'm sorry to hear all that, but glad to know your home is salvageable. Hopefully you'll be back to your routine of gaming through the night until 9:55am and then sleeping into the afternoon real soon!

Hang in there, the thoughts of all of us (OK some of us) on the board are with ya.

Best wishes to my northern neighbor, glad to hear everybody survived! Hope everything goes well with the rebuilding.

And by the way, I'd be happy to chip in $5 or so to the "Buy NSPF a Hooker" fund as long as we get some picures posted. (Of her, not you, no offense.) :D

Glad you and your family are safe NSPF, life is fragile and we never know what's around the corner, peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News