PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We are not trading cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of it's other problems What does this thread have to do with the draft?

I suggest Religion and Lighthearted discussion.

Regardless of it's other problems What does this thread have to do with the draft?

If we trade Cassel it would be for....Draft Picks

I fail to see why there is even a question about all three. Seymour and maybe Wilfork's contracts are not up until 2010. So that they have zero effect for next season. They are both here.

And the Pats are $20 million under the CAP and not $20 million over the CAP. So they can afford it, obviously to keep Both Cassel and Brady. My prediction is that they will defer any decision until 2010, when the situation is much clearer.

The last thing they would do is trade Cassel and then have the other go down, and then be in the position of the NY JESTs; with only an unready QB like Kevin O'Connell to play QB, or some retread pickup.

40 year old Garcia hasn't completed a season in half a decade. Don't make me laugh.

Who said that they were $20 million over the cap...it is a hard cap so that simply cannot happen;). You are right, they could afford it, but will not be active at all in FA and will have to just use the 5 extra mil on trying to sign draft picks. Then we would be right at the cap with no room paying one guy at least 14 million to hold a clipboard. I wonder how many backup QB's in the NFL make 14 million....none:eek:.

Last season we went into the year with what everyone thought was a crap backup QB - Cassel and everyone wanted to draft a QB or trade for a better backup. It was fine last season for BB to go with an unproven backup and look where that got him;) I would not laugh about Garcia who has won many football games in this league and I said as a backup not to be the #1 guy:rolleyes:

Nothing annoys me more than outright muddled thinking, like arbitrary statements "...we can't afford it...",when simple arithmetic says otherwise. ;)

If you look at the Clots, they were paying Pay-me-a-ton over $20 million per year in the mid-decade. Proportionately, with the smaller CAP at that time, I think they actually were in the 30+% range for their QBs. Yet they did it, and continued to win.

I see this as a one year activity. KO'C with two years of training, ought to be a backup QB in Year Three, if he can play at all. As a sophomore from a smaller program, no way in hell is he ready in his second year. It was obvious last spring that he has size, he knows how to run around, and has an arm, and that is about it. He displayed no great knowledge of the NFL QB job. That is played 90% between the ears, and not with arm or leg.;)

First of all with the Colts all that money was not tied up in two guys it was all Mannings who was the most important part of their offense. Why are you so hard on O'Connell, Joe Flaco was from a small school so I hope he will adjust to the NFL before 2010???? If we trade Cassel this spring when his value is high (we get draft picks and make our team younger)is way better then being handcuffed in FA with two QB's who should be starting in the NFL.

system qb like brady, no more no less

NE already knows with belichik they can plug anyone in at qb and win 11 games or more.....so they'll ditch him, draft another backup and brady will be back good as new

Typical Chargers fan who doesn't understand that ALL successful QBs are "SYSTEM" QBs..

The Patriots aren't "DITCHING" Cassel. They would be trading him to allow him to pursue a career as a starter. And, on a team like the Chiefs, Vikings, or Bears, he could, very well, succeed if they play to Cassel's strengths.

It has to deal with the draft in relation to the draft picks the Patriots wouldn't be getting based on the OPs ignorant idea of not trading Cassel and keeping him.

Muchtalk of Tom Brady and pictures of playful cats---What's your problem?

Take the Giants D-Line out of Superbowl 42 and we go 19-0. They won with a very average quarterback at the helm.

This is a QB driven league, but the sum of all performance is about the strength of the team.

Big Ben has ridden the Steelers D into the Superbowl... twice.

Nothing annoys me more than outright muddled thinking, like arbitrary statements "...we can't afford it...",when simple arithmetic says otherwise. ;)

If you look at the Clots, they were paying Pay-me-a-ton over $20 million per year in the mid-decade. Proportionately, with the smaller CAP at that time, I think they actually were in the 30+% range for their QBs. Yet they did it, and continued to win.

I see this as a one year activity. KO'C with two years of training, ought to be a backup QB in Year Three, if he can play at all. As a sophomore from a smaller program, no way in hell is he ready in his second year. It was obvious last spring that he has size, he knows how to run around, and has an arm, and that is about it. He displayed no great knowledge of the NFL QB job. That is played 90% between the ears, and not with arm or leg.;)

It depends what you mean by "can't afford". In the purse sense, of course we can afford it ... just franchise Cassel, exclude outside FA signings, and keep internal resignings within budget, losing people if necessary.

"Should" we do it is another matter. IF we are seriously concerned about Brady coming back, then absolutely, yes. Going into 2009 without a proven QB is not something we want to do, and we just have to suck it up and pay the price. It won't affect Seymour/Wilfork/Mankins for 2009 and may not for 2010 depending on Brady's status, but it will affect how we can fix holes for 2009 and depending on how Cassel's contract status plays out it may carry over to our 2010 FAs, but that's a cost we'll have to pay.

IF, on the other hand, we think Brady will recover fully and play all or most of 2009 then franchising and possibly resigning Cassel is likely to be an excessive amount of money spent at the QB position relative to other needs, of which we have plenty. There's just no way around it.

Kevin O'Connell may or may not be ready to step up, but 6 months ago no one thought Cassel was ready. Some of the same people who were clamoring to cut him in training camp, who wanted to keep Gutierrez over him, and who were screaming to hire any veteran QB option when TB went down in week 1, are now strongly against any possibility of trading him. If we do franchise and trade TB and BB thinks Cassel/Gutierrez are not ready to step up if necessary, then the Pats will undoubtedly pursue a veteran FA QB as a stop-gap. But BB went into 2006 with just Brady and Cassel on the roster when Cassel was an unproven 2nd year QB, so it's possible that he could do the same with O'Connell and possibly Gutierrez. None of us know for sure how TB's doing and how much confidence BB has in his other QBs.

Typical Chargers fan who doesn't understand that ALL successful QBs are "SYSTEM" QBs..

The Patriots aren't "DITCHING" Cassel. They would be trading him to allow him to pursue a career as a starter. And, on a team like the Chiefs, Vikings, or Bears, he could, very well, succeed if they play to Cassel's strengths.
ditching him = trading him.....

they're going to get rid of cassell somehow, and find a sucker who doesn't realize he's going to suck outside of NE

book it, this is right out of the NE playbook, their stars leave, and suck elsewhere

Last edited:

they're going to get rid of cassell somehow, and find a sucker who doesn't realize he's going to suck outside of NE

book it, this is right out of the NE playbook, their stars leave, and suck elsewhere
He may "suck" outside New England, but I'd say that's more a function, or dysfunction, of the organization who trades for him. Minnesota has an idiot for a Head Coach and their owner doesn't come across as very stable. Detroit has a dysfunctional organization that needs a Front Office enema. And so on...

The ideal place for my money is Kansas City which is getting an overdue Front Office enema. Tampa, Carolina, Tennessee are all organizations who could do something positive with a Matt Cassel to build around. San Franciso might be okay if Singletary can find an Offensive Coordinator with a clue and do something about their receiving corps. Cassel can succeed, but if he's thrust into a situation where his coaches or ownership or GM are utterly clueless...not even Tommy Brady could succeed in that kind of nightmare.

Yes, because every "star" who played in NE has sucked once they left. There are players who were good in NE and didn't suck once they left. Greg Spires, Irving Fryar, Ty Law, Willie McGinest, Joe Andruzzi. Even Branch and Givens didn't suck. They just got hit with injuries. And no one can foresee those. Well, maybe with Branch, but not with Givens.

Matt Cassel was the product of great coaching and play calling.

The minute he got confidence he improved, and made better decisions he started to turn into an above average QB.

If they can get a first rounder, or equivalent talent you cannot keep Matt Cassel. He is not worth it. The patriots and BB can yet again put together amazing gameplans for the first few weeks if Brady isnt ready, but i think he will be.

If you want to look at a QB much like cassel look no further than O'Connell, watch some of his highlights, he scrambles out of the pocket and has a rocket arm.

First or equivalent, take the deal, there is enough scrubs out there if O'Connell isnt ready to run a quick screen offense. Besides that defense if gonna be stingy with two first rounders on it.

Can I make a wild prediction against odds?

Hopefully Brady's ready, I doubt we pay Cassel enough to stay as insurance and O'Connell only has one year in the system...

If Brady needs a little time I predict the opening game QB will be....

Matt Gutierrez.

Hopefully Brady's ready, I doubt we pay Cassel enough to stay as insurance and O'Connell only has one year in the system...

Matt Gutierrez.

So you think the Patriots will start off next season at 0-1?

So you think the Patriots will start off next season at 0-1?

Why would I think that?

It's a longshot prediction based on Brady not being ready and Cassel being gone. I'm not aware of Gutierrez doing anything horrible except being the odd man out when they drafted a QB while already having a young backup with more experience.

Is it just me?
Matt Cassel played poorly for the third straight game and his status as No. 2 quarterback could be in jeopardy. Second-year pro Matt Gutierrez did much better when he came in early in the second half, completing 14 of 20 passes for 217 yards and two touchdowns.

The Patriots clearly miss Brady.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2008-08-23-3623166153_x.htm

Apparently not. Once Cassel settled down he played better than anyone expected. Some people thought he'd be great all the way. Good for them. I'm a fan of the team, of course I'm happy how he did and have great confidence in the judgment and instruction of our team.

So why should we think Guts stinks? He's got some years in training and some success in the limited time he's been tried, albeit against lesser competition.

The answer is, the Patriots don't just discard players unless they're bad apples. If there's a spot, what reason would they roll the dice, or possibly rush a QB that was known to be a bit of a project, before he was ready?

It may not happen, but my premise isn't illogical.

Last edited:

Matt Gutierrez.

If that were the case, why was Gutierrez the emergency QB all of last season?

If that were the case, why was Gutierrez the emergency QB all of last season?

He was actually cut at one point. I'm not saying they don't project O'Connell to have more potential, they did spend a third round pick on him.

All I'm saying is, why did they put him back on the team at all? If they had no use for him, why not pick up a veteran backup?

They obviously could use the roster spot. It's possible they could use the guy with two years experience to play a game or two, who knows?

It's also possible Guts never gets a chance to show his stuff in this league and that has more to do with his determination than anything else. The Patriots don't hang on to people to be nice guys, they went with only two quarterbacks for a long time.

I said longshot, not likely. Just having some fun.

I'd like to see him get a chance in the league, I've seen some pretty poor QB performances around the league.

Of course a couple training camp performances don't mean much, it's a lot different when the games count.

Matt Gutierrez.

I will gladly take that bet...not going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back