PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We are not trading cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are trading Cassel!
You are dead wrong on this.

Nothing annoys me more than outright muddled thinking, like arbitrary statements "...we can't afford it...",when simple arithmetic says otherwise. ;)

If you look at the Clots, they were paying Pay-me-a-ton over $20 million per year in the mid-decade. Proportionately, with the smaller CAP at that time, I think they actually were in the 30+% range for their QBs. Yet they did it, and continued to win.

I suggest looking up Peyton's cap numbers and the Colts' adjusted cap numbers and then posting the results. You undercut your argument by providing bogus numbers.

Pretty nutty thread. Patriots will DEFINITELY deal Cassel.

If we keep him & he sits on the bench he has 0 trade value next offseason. So paying him $14 mil makes no sense!

If we keep him & he sits on the bench he has 0 trade value next offseason. So paying him $14 mil makes no sense!

what say you of the picks the falcons received for Matt Schaub? he never played except in the pre-season

what say you of the picks the falcons received for Matt Schaub? he never played except in the pre-season

I'd say the Falcons got a very good deal(two 2nds) and Cassel has probably earned as much if not more.

billdog3484 said:

Personally, I say you don't know what you are talking about. Schaub played in several regular season games prior to being traded to the Texans.

Matt Schaub: Game Logs

And I'm not talking about a play here or there. He actually started in 2 games and saw significant time in 4 others. But don't let the facts stop you. You just keep thinking that the Patriots are going to keep Cassel.

p.s. That PM you sent me isn't ever going to be read because you are on ignore. And well, the only reason I can reply to this post is because someone else replied to it first.

Last edited:

Matt Schaub was worth a flip flop in the first round between the 8th and 10th pick plus a second rounder and another second the fallowing year. Schaub had two starts (one against us where he threw for almost 300 yards and 3TD's) not just preseason work. The Falcons did not pay Schaub a boatload of money to watch Vick play they TRADED him when his value was high.

Cassel's absolute value probably wouldn't change much if he sat behind Brady in 2009. That said, his relative value next offseason will almost certainly be less than it is this season, because the QB market--between FA and the draft--this year seems closer to a dollar store than Neiman Marcus, while it is unlikely to be so poor next year.

100-1? thats little much no

That's a longshot. same as picking a lowly NFL team. could happen.

That means, no Brady, Cassel's traded, they don't pick up a vet and they don't use O'Connell. That's why it's a longshot.

All I'm saying is if Brady can't go, and Cassell's gone, it's not illogical to think they start Guts ahead of O'Connell, since Guts has two years and has looked good in a brief pre-season action. O'Connell is hardly a known quantity, though I don't get to see what the coaches do.

He started in high school and never lost a game and won the starting job at Michigan after two years only to lose out to injury and transfer so he could play.

He might never play a game or he might get a shot and shine, who knows? He's got the athletic ability and seems to have poise.

Last edited:
That's a longshot. same as picking a lowly NFL team. could happen.

That means, no Brady, Cassel's traded, they don't pick up a vet and they don't use O'Connell. That's why it's a longshot.

All I'm saying is if Brady can't go, and Cassell's gone, it's not illogical to think they start Guts ahead of O'Connell, since Guts has two years and has looked good in a brief pre-season action. O'Connell is hardly a known quantity, though I don't get to see what the coaches do.

He started in high school and never lost a game and won the starting job at Michigan after two years only to lose out to injury and transfer so he could play.

He might never play a game or he might get a shot and shine, who knows? He's got the athletic ability and seems to have poise.
I'll be looking to see how well Gutierrez executes the offense in preseason. I had Cassel well ahead of him last preseason because he wasn't running the offense.

Sorry I missed this thread guys. Now the debate is to where to move this to? How about the Practice Squad forum?

First of all with the Colts all that money was not tied up in two guys it was all Mannings who was the most important part of their offense. Why are you so hard on O'Connell, Joe Flaco was from a small school so I hope he will adjust to the NFL before 2010???? If we trade Cassel this spring when his value is high (we get draft picks and make our team younger)is way better then being handcuffed in FA with two QB's who should be starting in the NFL.

So that is even more debateable. All those eggs in one basket. Although Sorgi was being paid, I guess. (But not much!);)

Why would I think that?

It's a longshot prediction based on Brady not being ready and Cassel being gone. I'm not aware of Gutierrez doing anything horrible except being the odd man out when they drafted a QB while already having a young backup with more experience.

Is it just me?

Patriots show no panic as exhibition losses mount - USATODAY.com

Apparently not. Once Cassel settled down he played better than anyone expected. Some people thought he'd be great all the way. Good for them. I'm a fan of the team, of course I'm happy how he did and have great confidence in the judgment and instruction of our team.

So why should we think Guts stinks? He's got some years in training and some success in the limited time he's been tried, albeit against lesser competition.

The answer is, the Patriots don't just discard players unless they're bad apples. If there's a spot, what reason would they roll the dice, or possibly rush a QB that was known to be a bit of a project, before he was ready?

It may not happen, but my premise isn't illogical.

No Ray it is not at all, a bad thought. Gutz wil be going into his third season,and should have absorbed some more knowledge and maturity.

Your quotation of how well Gutz did against future busboys and hamburger flippers is correct. But when BB finally let him go against opponent's regulars, like Cassel had been doing all along, he stunk up the joint, with immaturity, throwing into double coverage, bad decisions galore.

If it came to a choice between third year Gutz, and soph KOC, Gutz might well win.

But Belichick is not a fool, and would not paint himself into such a corner, if at all possible.

Who said that they were $20 million over the cap...it is a hard cap so that simply cannot happen;). You are right, they could afford it, but will not be active at all in FA and will have to just use the 5 extra mil on trying to sign draft picks. Then we would be right at the cap with no room paying one guy at least 14 million to hold a clipboard. I wonder how many backup QB's in the NFL make 14 million....none:eek:.

Last season we went into the year with what everyone thought was a crap backup QB - Cassel and everyone wanted to draft a QB or trade for a better backup. It was fine last season for BB to go with an unproven backup and look where that got him;) I would not laugh about Garcia who has won many football games in this league and I said as a backup not to be the #1 guy:rolleyes:

Miguel project $20 million plus in CAP room for 2009 with 51 players signed. If Miguel say so, Its SO! :singing::singing:

So that is even more debateable. All those eggs in one basket. Although Sorgi was being paid, I guess. (But not much!);)

Yes but all the eggs in the basket in our case would be 10 million cheaper when we trade Cassel. I would say from what I have seen from Sorgi I really do not think he would tie O'Connell cleats. The combo of Brady + O'Connel is much cheaper then the Colts paying a boatload of money to Peyton. Lets put is this way you could have Peyton and Sorgi for over $25 million or Brady + O'Connel for 15 million??

If you go back and look at Post # 62 in this thread you will see where Miguel calls your numbers bogus:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes