PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We are not trading cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are right. BB will find a way to use both Brady and Cassel by installing the 2-QB "wildkitty" offense (name inspired by your photos; also known as the "double barrel shotgun") with Koppen snapping to either QB. Defenders won't know which one to rush. If they pick the right on, he just laterals to the other.

How can Wilfork or Seymour compete with that?

You are right. BB will find a way to use both Brady and Cassel by installing the 2-QB "wildkitty" offense (name inspired by your photos; also known as the "double barrel shotgun") with Koppen snapping to either QB. Defenders won't know which one to rush. If they pick the right on, he just laterals to the other.

How can Wilfork or Seymour compete with that?

Nah. Didn't you hear Belichick's secret plan? Keep Cassel, trade Brady, and then draft Tebow next year and run the wildkitty with him. ;)

Nah. Didn't you hear Belichick's secret plan? Keep Cassel, trade Brady, and then draft Tebow next year and run the wildkitty with him. ;)

Why not keep all 3? Imagine what we could do with a bigger litter.

"You are right. BB will find a way to use both Brady and Cassel by installing the 2-QB "wildkitty" offense (name inspired by your photos; also known as the "double barrel shotgun") with Koppen snapping to either QB. Defenders won't know which one to rush. If they pick the right on, he just laterals to the other."

That's a good one!

i just dont think you can risk trading such a good player at such an important position when you are not sure about the guy you have. i love brady and i want him to come back at 100%, but history has shown that QBs who get gun-shy in the pocket after taking some big hits struggle.

The "wild kitty" offense has been tried...maybe that's why some of the deeper thinkers are already upchucking the name of Garcia to New England for his "veteran" (read "hairball") skill set...

i-iz-reddy-to-play-nao-coach.jpg

More kitties in tv litter make for more kitty litter.

Seriously, have you ever heard of a team with a QB controversy doing well. Brady is our leader. He is the most intense competitor on the team, known for his hard training, and he is probably pissed off about last season in a major way. Hell hath no vengeance like a Brady scorned.

Keeping Cassel would be nice, but unless we really think TB won't be back we can't afford it and have more pressing needs elsewhere.

where are you guys getting these pictures, haha???

Seriously, have you ever heard of a team with a QB controversy doing well.

there is no QB controversey. if Brady is healthy he is our QB. Cassel would be insurance, just in case. any other position i would have no problem letting the guy walk, but you cannot mess around with the QB position

billdgo3484 said:
think what you want. if there is a choice between re-signing Seymour and Wilfork or Cassel, it is a no-brainer. you can have your opinion. i believe mine is correct. you can win without a great DL, you cannot win without a great QB (dont give me Trent Dilfer, we do not have the 2000 Ravens D, with or without Seymour and Wilfork).

and anyways, it wouldnt have to come to that. i think seymour is way more expendable than wilfork, and at 9M per, seymour would go before cassel and free more than enough cap room

Billdgo - I have to say that this is one of your most illogical and ill thought out posts ever.

1) The Pats could extend Seymour and actually lower his cap hit, adding to the Pats 19 million in free cap space.

2) The money they saved from extending Seymour, they could put to extending Wilfork. It might use an extra 2 million, but my guess is not much more than that.

3) There has been only one case in the past decade where a mediocre defense won it all. That was the 2006 Colts. However, their defense benefitted from getting hot at the right time and plenty of NON-CALLS (Kelvin Hayden raping Caldwell in the end zone).

5) Franchising and Trading Matt Cassel helps improve this team in the short term and long term. In the short term because they can use that money to sign a couple of key vets (like a CB or LB). In the long term, because it will probably add quality players to the team.

Last edited:
there is no QB controversey. if Brady is healthy he is our QB. Cassel would be insurance, just in case. any other position i would have no problem letting the guy walk, but you cannot mess around with the QB position

I think it comes down to paying almost 30 million dollars to two guys on a roster. In 2008 the cap was around 116 million and to tie up two players, one of which will not be on the field. As you have said he would be insurance but at price I think too high. Cassel's trade value is high right now so it is time to trade as I believe we will be better off with a FA QB that would cost considerably less and free up cap space. Football is too much of a team game to wrap up 30 million in two players. That would leave 90 million dollars to the other 51 players on the roster which is not like BB at all. I totally know where you are going about keeping Cassel and how much the QB is important but football is a team game.

Last edited:

i wasnt stating that we would get rid of Seymour and Wilfork, which is what I think most people have misinterpreted. im saying that if that ever became necessary i would much rather have Cassel than both of them. i understand we will not have to get rid of both of them, i was using their names to show how important that I felt Cassel is to this franchise, at least at this point in time.

5) Franchising and Trading Matt Cassel helps improve this team in the short term and long term. In the short term because they can use that money to sign a couple of key vets (like a CB or LB). In the long term, because it will probably add quality players to the team.

what happens if Brady comes back and is a shell of his former self? than what?

also, is it possible for me to fix my Screen name or whatever you call it? its supposed to be Billdog not Billdgo. I messed it up when I signed up?

what happens if Brady comes back and is a shell of his former self? than what?

also, is it possible for me to fix my Screen name or whatever you call it? its supposed to be Billdog not Billdgo. I messed it up when I signed up?

Send Ian a PM about your screen name.

after further review, and countless hours of thought, i have come to the conclusion that there is no way in hell we can get rid of this guy. if we have to get rid of seymour and wilfork, it wouldnt matter. you cannot win without a QB. so, i think that everyone should stop talking about getting a first round pick for him.

i mean, do you guys really want a first round pick or two for a great QB? did you not see the unbelievable improvement he made over the course of this season? how can you afford to risk getting rid of a top 10 QB when your QB is no definite to return to form? i love TB, but really, can we expect him to be what he was? maybe, but maybe not. thats why it is imperative to make sure we have both TB and MC for the upcoming season. after this year we can decide on TB and make a decision to trade MC. for the time being, you should all be realistice. MC will be on our team in 2009, no matter the cost
system qb like brady, no more no less

NE already knows with belichik they can plug anyone in at qb and win 11 games or more.....so they'll ditch him, draft another backup and brady will be back good as new

It is good that you are taking this in good humor but those kitty pics are pretty funny. The way I see it is we have a commodity in Cassel and we may be able to get a first rounder plus another for him and he was a 7 rounder himself (pretty good deal from our end) Now I know you must have been listening to Total Access tonight when Dukes was going on how important the QB is and he is totally right.....for once!!

The situation to expend Wilfork or big Sey to keep Cassel might sound like the right thing to do but if Brady come back and plays well and starts every game we are blowing 14 million for a kid who is a just in case guy or second string. Odds of this happening are good and we just drafted a kid in the third round 4 higher then Cassel so BB must know something about this kid O'Connell. I think a FA vet paired with Gutierrez and O'Connell will be fine because the face of our franchise I hope plays every snap next year.

Wilfork and Seymour have been life long Pats and have been bread for the system BB has created. They have multiple pro-bowls are are considered two of the best D-line in the game IMHO. I think we need to trade Cassel before FA heats up so we can be active to get a defensive playmaker and sign some draft picks.

I fail to see why there is even a question about all three. Seymour and maybe Wilfork's contracts are not up until 2010. So that they have zero effect for next season. They are both here.

And the Pats are $20 million under the CAP and not $20 million over the CAP. So they can afford it, obviously to keep Both Cassel and Brady. My prediction is that they will defer any decision until 2010, when the situation is much clearer.

The last thing they would do is trade Cassel and then have the other go down, and then be in the position of the NY JESTs; with only an unready QB like Kevin O'Connell to play QB, or some retread pickup.

40 year old Garcia hasn't completed a season in half a decade. Don't make me laugh.

Last edited:
Even if your right, the Pats can't afford to pay two QB's a high salary. And what's happens if Brady stays healthy? That means their paying Cassel a boat load of money to wait until Brady gets injured again. Cassel earned his money and it's time for him to move on and start for a another team.

Even if your right, the Pats can't afford to pay two QB's a high salary. And what's happens if Brady stays healthy? That means their paying Cassel a boat load of money to wait until Brady gets injured again. Cassel earned his money and it's time for him to move on and start for a another team.

the what if is the important thing to realize here. i think its a question of whether or not TB can play, and if you have to sacrifice signing other players to make sure the QB position is set, then you do.

and as for MC being a system QB, i am not buying into that. he was a gamer. he made huge plays. i think we have to protect the QB position on our team

Nothing annoys me more than outright muddled thinking, like arbitrary statements "...we can't afford it...",when simple arithmetic says otherwise. ;)

If you look at the Clots, they were paying Pay-me-a-ton over $20 million per year in the mid-decade. Proportionately, with the smaller CAP at that time, I think they actually were in the 30+% range for their QBs. Yet they did it, and continued to win.

I see this as a one year activity. KO'C with two years of training, ought to be a backup QB in Year Three, if he can play at all. As a sophomore from a smaller program, no way in hell is he ready in his second year. It was obvious last spring that he has size, he knows how to run around, and has an arm, and that is about it. He displayed no great knowledge of the NFL QB job. That is played 90% between the ears, and not with arm or leg.;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case