PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Under the radar ... Stevan Ridley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see how you can possibly gain 1,000 yards in one season in the NFL if that was your actual strategy, never mind 13 TDs (or 16 in the last 20 games).

When defenses are almost solely focused on the passing attack, it's not hard at all to put up 1,000 yards.

13TDs is a byproduct of goal line playcalling. If they call your number enough on the goalline you're going to get TDs. I don't recall BJGE making many amazing TD runs. It's more of a 'right place, right time' situation.

When defenses are almost solely focused on the passing attack, it's not hard at all to put up 1,000 yards.

13TDs is a byproduct of goal line playcalling. If they call your number enough on the goalline you're going to get TDs. I don't recall BJGE making many amazing TD runs. It's more of a 'right place, right time' situation.

We've not had a RB that's put up those kinds of numbers since Dillon (five years ago), and you have to go back to 2004 to find the last 1,000 yard rusher for the Patriots, so it's hard to agree with your scenario that "it's not that hard."

That also includes 2007, when the pass offense was at its peak.

If you group RBs into inside runners, outside runners and 3rd down/receiving backs, BJGE and SR would both fall into the inside runner category. That is the only way I was referring to them having the same style.

I didn't say BJGE was all of a sudden useless, it just appears that Ridley is a better player and I want the better player to get the majority of the playing time. As time passes I'd like to see Ridley eventually round into about 60% of the carries with BJGE and Woodhead seeing about an even split of the remaining 40%.

BTW, BJGE doesn't drag people with him, he falls forward. Walter Payton, Earl Campbell, Adrian Peterson, etc. carry guys with them. BJGE hits guys and falls forward.

Also, I don't see BJGE finding too many holes. He goes where he's told to go. Sometimes he makes a minor adjustment in his path, but he usually just runs into the line whether there is a hole or not. It's actually a good strategy for him because he doesn't have the athletic skill to improvise. He certainly makes the most out of the limited skills that he has.

I second this. I love BJGE. But Ridley looks like he might be a plus/impact player. A running back who can make unblocked defenders miss and run away on the second level can gain a ton of yards with the way defenses load up to stop Brady. All of those 70-80 yard games BJGE racks up could turn into 100-120-yard games with the right kind of runner, and Ridley might be it.

It seems like Ridley is quicker with vision and BJGE is a stick his head down and gets 3-4 yds......Both can run when they get thru the hole, but Ridley just looks faster and shiftier....and breaks thru for longer runs....

Nice duo to have in the backfield...but I tend to agree that Ridley will be getting more carries as he develops and picks up his blitz blocks when needed...Stevan getting a few swing passes is what I'm waiting to see.....Not sure BOB has the vision to see this aspect of Ridley's game tho...

Ccome on, surprise us Doubting Thomases BOB.... ;)

Glad to see aspects of Patsfans are going to start denigrating the accomplishments of BJGE given 1000 yard rushing seasons grow on trees.

Note to the idiots, you don't need to put down the Law Firm to praise the volcano (yep, I've ordained him as he looks ready to explode on every play) rookie in Ridley.

Last edited:
We've not had a RB that's put up those kinds of numbers since Dillon (five years ago), and you have to go back to 2004 to find the last 1,000 yard rusher for the Patriots, so it's hard to agree with your scenario that "it's not that hard."

That also includes 2007, when the pass offense was at its peak.

Maroney and Morris combined for 270 carries, 1219 yds, 4.5 ypc, 9 TDs

If it wasn't for Maroney's injury issues, he would've had an almost identical season to BJGE last year. Maybe a few less TDs as the were scoring from deeper more often in 2007.

Seriously, nothing against Green-Ellis, he just isn't all that talented. He was a nice workhorse last year, but he's not a long term NFL starting RB.

Maroney and Morris combined for 270 carries, 1219 yds, 4.5 ypc, 9 TDs

If it wasn't for Maroney's injury issues, he would've had an almost identical season to BJGE last year. Maybe a few less TDs as the were scoring from deeper more often in 2007.

Seriously, nothing against Green-Ellis, he just isn't all that talented. He was a nice workhorse last year, but he's not a long term NFL starting RB.
Not that talented but rushed for the 16th most yards in the NFL in 2010 (in a passing offense with a HOF QB going nuts) and 2nd most rushing touchdowns in the NFL.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. Ridiculous comment.

Glad to see aspects of Patsfans are going to start denigrating the accomplishments of BJGE given 1000 yard rushing seasons grow on trees.

Note to the idiots, you don't need to put down the Law Firm to praise the volcano (yep, I've ordained him as he looks ready to explode on every play) rookie in Ridley.

No one is denigrating BJGE. I'm sure we all appreciate what he's done, but we should also appreciate that we have a potential improvement on the roster.

No one is denigrating BJGE. I'm sure we all appreciate what he's done, but we should also appreciate that we have a potential improvement on the roster.
When you describe someone as "not that talented" then follow that up with this comment, I don't think you need me to draw you a picture of that hypocrisy.

I have no problem with using a 4 man RB committee of Ridley, Vereen, Woodhead and Green-Ellis. They all offer something different, with Vereen the great question mark I'm waiting to see.

Not that talented but rushed for the 16th most yards in the NFL in 2010 (in a passing offense with a HOF QB going nuts) and 2nd most rushing touchdowns in the NFL.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. Ridiculous comment.

Wow, 16th! That and $2.00 will get you a cup of coffee.

Ryan Grant was in the top 10 two years in a row, over 1200 yds each year, now he's a back up to a 6th round 2nd year player. Unless you're an elite back your job is continuously in jeopardy.

I don't know what the big deal is about admitting that Ridley looks way better out there than Green-Ellis ever has.

When you describe someone as "not that talented" then follow that up with this comment, I don't think you need me to draw you a picture of that hypocrisy.

I have no problem with using a 4 man RB committee of Ridley, Vereen, Woodhead and Green-Ellis. They all offer something different, with Vereen the great question mark I'm waiting to see.

In the realm of starting NFL RBs, Green-Ellis definitely falls in the lower half of the talent pool.

Based on what I've seen in an admittedly short period of time with Ridley is that he should be displacing Green-Ellis for the most part.

He was a nice workhorse last year, but he's not a long term NFL starting RB.

He wasn't a workhorse last year, he started only 12 games. Woodhead had a significant amount of snaps.

Wow, 16th! That and $2.00 will get you a cup of coffee.

Ryan Grant was in the top 10 two years in a row, over 1200 yds each year, now he's a back up to a 6th round 2nd year player. Unless you're an elite back your job is continuously in jeopardy.

I don't know what the big deal is about admitting that Ridley looks way better out there than Green-Ellis ever has.
Grant missed all of 2010 with an ACL reconstruction. It's a stupid comparison.

In the realm of starting NFL RBs, Green-Ellis definitely falls in the lower half of the talent pool.

Based on what I've seen in an admittedly short period of time with Ridley is that he should be displacing Green-Ellis for the most part.
It's probably wise to not post something given the embarrassing position you've put yourself in to begin with. Ridley's looked great in the pre-season and for a total of 4 quarters this season. I generally like to see prolonged exposure from a player before anointing greatness. Green-Ellis on the other hand, he's been dependable for some time now.

I think it's a little too early to christen Ridley the second coming. All we have is two games both of which Ridley most definitely was not accounted for in preparation or scouting. I think the Jets game will be an excellent barometer to see what he can do now that he has registered on the radar. They will be accounting (and preparing) for him now. I think the Jets will have someone spy on him because they know that if he is in the game he is there to run, not to engage in play-action because he doesn't have the experience to handle the complex blitz schemes of the Jets.

BJGE on the other hand, has a body of work that cannot summarily be discounted. He is a proven commodity in that he will continuously deliver results for the most part.

Grant missed all of 2010 with an ACL reconstruction. It's a stupid comparison.

Yup, now he's back and he lost his job.

It's probably wise to not post something given the embarrassing position you've put yourself in to begin with. Ridley's looked great in the pre-season and for a total of 4 quarters this season. I generally like to see prolonged exposure from a player before anointing greatness. Green-Ellis on the other hand, he's been dependable for some time now.

Embarassing? You've got to be kidding. Do you really think that an undrafted free agent who barely cracked 1,000 yds one time has any job security? Dependable for some time? One season. NFL history is littered with guys who had one decent year then disappeared.

Olandis Gary says hi!

I'm not even saying Ridley is going to be anything more than an average back, but he's clearly more talented than Green-Ellis. We've seen Green-Ellis' ceiling. It's not a high ceiling. He wouldn't even be getting carries on most teams.

I think it's a little too early to christen Ridley the second coming. All we have is two games both of which Ridley most definitely was not accounted for in preparation or scouting. I think the Jets game will be an excellent barometer to see what he can do now that he has registered on the radar. They will be accounting (and preparing) for him now. I think the Jets will have someone spy on him because they know that if he is in the game he is there to run, not to engage in play-action because he doesn't have the experience to handle the complex blitz schemes of the Jets.

BJGE on the other hand, has a body of work that cannot summarily be discounted. He is a proven commodity in that he will continuously deliver results for the most part.

Like I said, I'm not anointing Ridley anything.

BJGE's body of work tells me he's a consistent, plodding RB who doesn't make mistakes and rarely makes a big play. Thus far Ridley's body of work shows he has some potential to create big plays. You can't teach that. OTOH you can teach ball security and pass protection.

Not statistically-wise.

So you don't think he's benefitting hugely by being on the best offense in the NFL with a HOF/NFL MVP QB which the defenses are spending 100% their effort trying to stop? Do you honestly think they even pay attention to Green-Ellis in game planning?

Last edited:
Embarassing? You've got to be kidding. Do you really think that an undrafted free agent who barely cracked 1,000 yds one time has any job security? Dependable for some time? One season. NFL history is littered with guys who had one decent year then disappeared.
Embarrassing isn't a strong enough adjective you're right. It's flat out stupid. You'd also have noticed that before Grant bruised his kidney it looked like he regained his starter role, before being forced to miss.

Here's a trio of UDFA's I can think of off the top of my head - Kurt Warner, Antonio Gates & James Harrison. If you're attempting to connect draft position and job security then you're doing a brilliant job of it. I'd love to employ you as a strategic planner.

You're right there's plenty of people who have been one year wonders. We're 4 games in to a new season and you're projecting total performance by trying to use the Law Firm and a Green Bay RB who missed the entirety of 2010 with an ACL recon and job security.

Yep, 1 year is dependable for some time. I didn't qualify a long time did I, just some time.

I'm not even saying Ridley is going to be anything more than an average back, but he's clearly more talented than Green-Ellis. We've seen Green-Ellis' ceiling. It's not a high ceiling. He wouldn't even be getting carries on most teams.
I'm more than pleased with the limited exposure we've had to Ridley. He hasn't put a foot wrong and performed when asked too. Your problem is you're rating him as a clearly more talented footballer than Green-Ellis, which is wrong. He looks to be a more explosive runner than Green-Ellis but we haven't seen what he's like in the passing game or what his blitz pick ups and protection is like.

And to finish up with your last comment about Green-Ellis not getting carries on other teams. I'll wager he would because he's a good footballer.

Last edited:
I agree with jjdche. We can and should look to upgrade BJGE at RB1; thankfully, we appear to have done so.

Embarrassing isn't a strong enough adjective you're right. It's flat out stupid. You'd also have noticed that before Grant bruised his kidney it looked like he regained his starter role, before being forced to miss.

Here's a trio of UDFA's I can think of off the top of my head - Kurt Warner, Antonio Gates & James Harrison. If you're attempting to connect draft position and job security then you're doing a brilliant job of it. I'd love to employ you as a strategic planner.

High draft position absolutely ensures you're more likely to stick on a roster than a UDFA.

You're right there's plenty of people who have been one year wonders. We're 4 games in to a new season and you're projecting total performance by trying to use the Law Firm and a Green Bay RB who missed the entirety of 2010 with an ACL recon and job security.

Yep, 1 year is dependable for some time. I didn't quality a long time did I, just some time.

I'm not projecting anything. All I'm saying is that Ridley looks like a better runner than GreenEllis. There are still unanswered questions on Ridley, but you can't say his ceiling doesn't look higher than Green-Ellis'. They need to put him out there to answer the questions. If Ridley can hold on to the ball reasonably well and handle the pass blocking duties, Green-Ellis is all but done here.

1 year isn't dependable by NFL standards. He had a decent season.

I'm more than pleased with the limited exposure we've had to Ridley. He hasn't put a foot wrong and performed when asked too. Your problem is you're rating him as a clearly more talented footballer than Green-Ellis, which is wrong. He looks to be a more explosive runner than Green-Ellis but we haven't seen what he's like in the passing game or what his blitz pick ups and protection is like.

And to finish up with your last comment about Green-Ellis not getting carries on other teams. I'll wager he would because he's a good footballer.

Green-Ellis has proven more, that doesn't make him more talented. Maybe if you are defining talent in the all-around sense. I'm aiming at the type of talent you can't teach. It doesn't take much time watching the two to see Ridley appears to have more in that department.

So you don't think he's benefitting hugely by being on the best offense in the NFL with a HOF/NFL MVP QB which the defenses are spending 100% their effort trying to stop? Do you honestly think they even pay attention to Green-Ellis in game planning?

By the same token, Maroney, Morris, Taylor, Jordan, (and some more I probably forgot) should have benefitted hugely, but did not. All of those RB's were on the roster during 2007 and after, to this day, when the spread was instituted, and we went pass-heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes