PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Inside the most dysfunctional Pats season under BB

Harsh but necessary. We had Reagor as the big play wideout the last couple of games. We had six first downs and 116 yards of total offense in game 18.

Belichick has let the offense sink to a low that’s shocking.

That’s the problem. Look at the defense has depth all over and budding stars.

Offense? Full of jags. There needs to be balance in building a roster.

It’s possible Bill either

A. Doesn’t value offense so invests into the defense.

B. Can’t evaluate offensive players.

Even if Bill stays something needs to change.

Maybe the transition already started. O'Brien said to have freedom to select his own staff.

Is O'Brien working with Bill or for Bill? Hmm

So much for having freedom to select his own staff.

What is this Globe article by Conor Ryan quoting Tom Curran saying 100% the opposite of what Curran has been saying all along?

Belichick wanted Brady back and was shocked he left the team? This is 100% the opposite of what Curran has been saying all along.

What is this Globe article by Conor Ryan quoting Tom Curran saying 100% the opposite of what Curran has been saying all along?

Belichick wanted Brady back and was shocked he left the team? This is 100% the opposite of what Curran has been saying all along.
If true how stupid was BB to not make sure Kraft closed the deal

No, this isn't a new revelation. Curran said it not long after it happened and it was also in one of the books (I forget which one) that Belichick didn't expect Brady to actually leave. It absolutely caught him off guard (I honestly think he believed Kraft could convince Brady to stay and get a deal done, which had happened previously) and that's why they ended up in the position they were in.

Although, it's funny to recall the leaks of how happy they were with Stidham, which went away ahead of camp and Stidham was virtually invisible that summer. No battle, no real competition, etc. It was surprising how he dropped off the map.

Obviously, we've seen a few reports of him missing time for a wedding or something, but it's amazing how that put him in a position where as bad as Newton was down the stretch, he never got a real shot to play. Was definitely strange how that all played out.

No, this isn't a new revelation. Curran said it not long after it happened and it was also in one of the books (I forget which one) that Belichick didn't expect Brady to actually leave. It absolutely caught him off guard (I honestly think he believed Kraft could convince Brady to stay and get a deal done, which had happened previously) and that's why they ended up in the position they were in.

Although, it's funny to recall the leaks of how happy they were with Stidham, which went away ahead of camp and Stidham was virtually invisible that summer. No battle, no real competition, etc. It was surprising how he dropped off the map.

Obviously, we've seen a few reports of him missing time for a wedding or something, but it's amazing how that put him in a position where as bad as Newton was down the stretch, he never got a real shot to play. Was definitely strange how that all played out.
This doesn't contradict the idea that Belichick was forcing Brady out?

Maybe I'm misremembering but didn't Stiddy have back problems or an injury that summer?

It still apparently is difficult for some to understand that the ability to coach and draft is not a constant. The knowledge can always be there, but attitudes can change.

Belichick the younger (remember, he had been here for 20+ years, an almost unheard of amount of time) likely would never have done what Belichick the elder started to do the past few seasons (at the least).

In the heyday, Belichick worked with coaches he respected as equals. He made it work with players that had 'issues' on other teams. He seemed to thrive on that sort of chaos.

At this point in his career, Belichick just wants to be comfortable. With his coaching staff and his players.

This doesn't contradict the idea that Belichick was forcing Brady out?

You could say it was BB's arrogance that forced Brady's hand. As Brady had said thousands of times, he just wanted to be respected for all he had given to the franchise for 20 years.

BB simply wouldn't give it to him.

25m/2 years guaranteed was not going to break the bank. They could have made that work.

brady wanted 2 years $25million.

Bill told Brady "i'm not paying you over $22.5million" okay. so Bill expected brady to just bend over and take his crappy 1 year offer again. either way it was an insulting offer.

Bill told Brady "i'm not paying you over $22.5million" okay. so Bill expected brady to just bend over and take his crappy 1 year offer again. either way it was an insulting offer.
doesn't explain the contradiction here that they've been saying he wanted him gone

You could say it was BB's arrogance that forced Brady's hand. As Brady had said thousands of times, he just wanted to be respected for all he had given to the franchise for 20 years.

BB simply wouldn't give it to him.

25m/2 years guaranteed was not going to break the bank. They could have made that work.
Doesn't explain the fact this contradicts the narrative.

Also, if Brady just wanted to come back, why is he on Ross's yacht a whole year earlier?

And yet there are fans here who thought that Bill deserved to finish his career here on his terms. I never understood that thinking.

Here's a quick breakdown of the B&B dynasty.
D1 was anchored by a very tough defense, which was in Bill's wheelhouse.
Brady got hurt and the great defense got old.
D2 was anchored by the offense (not in Bill's wheelhouse) led by Brady's big brain.

Maybe I'm misremembering but didn't Stiddy have back problems or an injury that summer?
For a backup QB he sure was often injured.

Also, if Brady just wanted to come back, why is he on Ross's yacht a whole year earlier?
Because he wasn't. The so called yacht incident happened "after" Pats season was over in 2020, per both Flores and NFL investigation, before the start of free agency. You're a liar and continue to repeat this same lie thinking it'll become true one day. Lol

"Flores said in the lawsuit that Ross asked him to help recruit Tom Brady starting at the end of the 2019 season, including inviting Flores to a meeting on a yacht where Brady just happened to be hanging out. The NFL’s investigation confirmed all of it and more"

It's mind blowing to me... that a guy that has taken the team on his back in alot of big games, most recently in 2018 the 3 consecutive 3rd and 10s.. at KC, that Bill wouldn't offer him what he deserved.. absolutely mind blowing!! TB12 should have gotten 50 million a season.

Because he wasn't. The so called yacht incident happened "after" Pats season was over in 2020, per both Flores and NFL investigation, before the start of free agency. You're a liar and continue to repeat this same lie thinking it'll become true one day. Lol

"Flores said in the lawsuit that Ross asked him to help recruit Tom Brady starting at the end of the 2019 season, including inviting Flores to a meeting on a yacht where Brady just happened to be hanging out. The NFL’s investigation confirmed all of it and more"
People also completely ignore that Brady wanted to have a longterm committment from us. He WANTED to finish here. He was negotiating for a deal that would keep him here longterm. He got an out in free agency when it was apparent that Bill wanted to have a low commit on him and keep him on year to year deals so he could press the eject button as soon as he saw some slippage. Brady wasn't about to let Bill dictate how his career ended, so he made the escape clause in his contract.

There's no discussion about a Tom Brady free agency period or a boat trip with Stephen Ross if Tom just gets the initial committment he wanted. It's not even a possibility. Brady started making moves when the team started getting wishy washy.

It's mind blowing to me... that a guy that has taken the team on his back in alot of big games, most recently in 2018 the 3 consecutive 3rd and 10s.. at KC, that Bill wouldn't offer him what he deserved.. absolutely mind blowing!! TB12 should have gotten 50 million a season.
I said at the time, and I'll reiterate, there's a lot of people who **** on the Lakers for committing to Kobe and dealing with a couple of years of mediocre play. However, the reward for Lakers fans was that they got to see their legend finish out and retire there and they always have the memory of him always being their guy and getting the send off with the team he deserved. The reward for the franchise is that the Lakers got a reputation that they knew how to take care of star players and treated them the right way, which made it easier for them to get named free agents.

We might have suffered through a rough year or two with Brady, but every single Pats fan would have taken what the Lakers gave their fans for their legendary player over some head start on a rebuild that didn't even work.

We might have suffered through a rough year or two with Brady, but every single Pats fan would have taken what the Lakers gave their fans for their legendary player over some head start on a rebuild that didn't even work.
i would think a lot of tb fans would have rather seen him going out the way he actually went out.
he would have been unhappy if he signed for more years and the pats would have been almost as ****ty as they were without him because they had no $ in 20 to improve the team around him (which appeared to be his frustration in 2019). instead,he goes to a team with a lot of talent that mostly needed a good qb and had a ****ty hc and he wins a sb. i would think that people who really care about him and his legacy as a player would love that for him more than watching him be unhappy.

i would think a lot of tb fans would have rather seen him going out the way he actually went out.
he would have been unhappy if he signed for more years and the pats would have been almost as ****ty as they were without him because they had no $ in 20 to improve the team around him (which appeared to be his frustration in 2019). instead,he goes to a team with a lot of talent that mostly needed a good qb and had a ****ty hc and he wins a sb. i would think that people who really care about him and his legacy as a player would love that for him more than watching him be unhappy.
Of course the Bucs were happy with how he went out. He went out as a Buc.

Nobody has a clue how the Pats would have done with Brady in '20, but he was only one player and they could have made room for him. And he wasn't asking for top money even though he clearly earned that.

Bill's ego got in the way and he got caught with his pants down when he lost Brady. That move will be talked about forever. It was a huge blunder.

I'm a Pats fan and I wanted Brady to finish his career here, just as he wanted to. The fact that he didn't is sinful.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back