PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Inside the most dysfunctional Pats season under BB

They were rarely a team that was inferior to their opponent when they lost in the playoffs. It's unprecedented how many opportunities they had, only come away with 6.
You have got to be joking, right? Only 6? Haha. That is some entitled thinking if I ever heard some. Wow. Not sure how many people in this forum feel that way, but it might explain the meltdown people are having in PF after only a couple of down years.

You have got to be joking, right? Only 6? Haha. That is some entitled thinking if I ever heard some. Wow. Not sure how many people in this forum feel that way, but it might explain the meltdown people are having in PF after only a couple of down years.
But you didn't answer my first statement. How many times did they lose to a team in the playoffs and you thought to yourself the Pats were inferior going into that game?

And I have I have more important things in life to worry about than whether the Pats win another Super Bowl again.

They were rarely a team that was inferior to their opponent when they lost in the playoffs. It's unprecedented how many opportunities they had, only come away with 6.
I think the Pats would have had one or two more SB wins without blatant interference from the league and outside entities.

The game with the Giants had the team threatened with legal action the day before the game based on leaked rumored reports that Matt Walsh had incriminating evidence about Spygate, and even Senator Arlen Spector was supposed to be taking action against them.

This was an unneeded distraction as the Pats were attempting to make history by winning a SB as an undefeated team.

Look at the high draft choices stripped from them for bogus incidents.

There is no team whose continuing success was hamstrung by deliberate outside forces that had nothing to do with their on the field activities.

No team in any sport has ever had their continued success under such an assault.

But you didn't answer my first statement. How many times did they lose to a team in the playoffs and you thought to yourself the Pats were inferior going into that game?

And I have I have more important things in life to worry about than whether the Pats win another Super Bowl again.

Bill surely cost them a couple with questionable decisions.

2006 - leaving brady with jags on offense. they easily beat the colts if we have competent receivers.
eagles superbowl - not playing Malcolm butler for no reason

Brady carried alot of poor rosters/bill GM decisions looking back on it. some of those teams shouldn't have gone as far as they did.

Bill surely cost them a couple with questionable decisions.

2006 - leaving brady with jags on offense. they easily beat the colts if we have competent receivers.
eagles superbowl - not playing Malcolm butler for no reason

Brady carried alot of poor rosters/bill GM decisions looking back on it. some of those teams shouldn't have gone as far as they did.
I’m not a big BB defender at this point but come one, all head coaches (including hall of famers) have made questionable decisions throughout their career.

I’m not a big BB defender at this point but come one, all head coaches (including hall of famers) have made questionable decisions throughout their career.

still Bill the GM has left the offense out to dry more times than we can count. and it's cost us every time.

still Bill the GM has left the offense out to dry more times than we can count. and it's cost us every time.
Yeah, no excuses for BB the GM, I think he’s been terrible consistently at drafting talent on the offensive side and some on the defensive side. I was just referring to the Coaching aspect, but I agree with you there.

the only way I see Bill saving his job is if he agrees to basically make the next 2 years a transition to his retirement. hire a real GM to handle the drafting, bring back McDaniels and the offensive coaches who left and let o'brien/mcdaniels or whomever is in charge have full autonomy of filling out their staff/who they want

and Bill can have autonomy over the defense if he wants and have less responsibility each year until he retires.

just knowing the last 2 years I don't see it. he's been stubborn at the expense of the team. 2 wasted seasons due to fairly simple moves like hiring a real OC and letting them fill out their staff....and investing resources into offense more than jags and late round picks.

the O'brien stuff is bad because basically it means he hamstrung the offense out of pettiness basically saying "kraft made me replace patricia but this is still my team! so you will get who i tell you and like it". O'brien never could implement what he truly wanted with patricias staff....it rarely ever works out when a coach can't have their own staff and has leftovers.

gives O'briens "chain of command" comments more context. basically saying "well i make no decisions, i'm here for the ride"

the only way I see Bill saving his job is if he agrees to basically make the next 2 years a transition to his retirement. hire a real GM to handle the drafting, bring back McDaniels and the offensive coaches who left and let o'brien/mcdaniels or whomever is in charge have full autonomy of filling out their staff/who they want

and Bill can have autonomy over the defense if he wants and have less responsibility each year until he retires.

just knowing the last 2 years I don't see it. he's been stubborn at the expense of the team. 2 wasted seasons due to fairly simple moves like hiring a real OC and letting them fill out their staff....and investing resources into offense more than jags and late round picks.

the O'brien stuff is bad because basically it means he hamstrung the offense out of pettiness basically saying "kraft made me replace patricia but this is still my team! so you will get who i tell you and like it". O'brien never could implement what he truly wanted with patricias staff....it rarely ever works out when a coach can't have their own staff and has leftovers.

gives O'briens "chain of command" comments more context. basically saying "well i make no decisions, i'm here for the ride"
I feel like I read somewhere that BOB and Klemm won’t be returning, at least that’s the rumor

I feel like I read somewhere that BOB and Klemm won’t be returning, at least that’s the rumor
Weren't klemm and BOB Kraft hires? On Klemm he has done this at other stops as well seemed like the O line got worse under him..

Weren't klemm and BOB Kraft hires? On Klemm he has done this at other stops as well seemed like the O line got worse under him..
I think that’s all rumor about being Krafts hire. Could be or could not be, who knows.

I think the Pats would have had one or two more SB wins without blatant interference from the league and outside entities.

The game with the Giants had the team threatened with legal action the day before the game based on leaked rumored reports that Matt Walsh had incriminating evidence about Spygate, and even Senator Arlen Spector was supposed to be taking action against them.

This was an unneeded distraction as the Pats were attempting to make history by winning a SB as an undefeated team.
Even with Tom's high ankle sprain in 2007, they had no business losing to both Giants teams.

They made the playoffs 17 of 19 years together. You could maybe argue a handful of teams that were better than the Pats going into the game or made you nervous. Removing 2001 because they were a Cinderella team, the only teams they looked inferior to going into the game were against the 2004 Colts and Steelers only due to the injuries in the secondary, 2006 Chargers, 2006 Colts and the 2013 Broncos. Losses to the Ravens (2009 and 2012), Jets (2010), Eagles (2017), Broncos (2005 and 2015), Giants (2007 and 2011), Titans (2019) were upsets to massive upsets. And there weren't just happy to be there. They were considered Super Bowl favorites almost every year they made the playoffs. There's a lot of missed opportunities there.

Last edited:
Even with Tom's high ankle sprain in 2007, they had no business losing to both Giants teams.

They made the playoffs 17 of 19 years together. You could maybe argue a handful of teams that were better than the Pats going into the game or made you nervous. Removing 2001 because they were a Cinderella team, the only teams they looked inferior to going into the game were against the 2004 Colts and Steelers only due to the injuries in the secondary, 2006 Chargers, 2006 Colts and the 2013 Broncos. Losses to the Ravens (2009 and 2012), Jets (2010), Eagles (2017), Broncos (2005 and 2015), Giants (2007 and 2011), Titans (2019) were upsets to massive upsets. And there weren't just happy to be there. They were considered Super Bowl favorites almost every year they made the playoffs. There's a lot of missed opportunities there.
I dunno man. 2011, they were not as good as the Ravens, and it took a dropped TD pass and a shanked FG to get them the AFC title. The Giants were inferior both times, but in '11, they were lucky to be there. 2019 they were deeply flawed but still had Tom, even tho he had mentally checked out. What year did they get blown out by the Ravens?

I am nitpicking a bit. They were dominant for a long time, no argument, but that middle stretch between 07 and the Seattle SB, they were not the juggernaut they were before or after.

I dunno man. 2011, they were not as good as the Ravens, and it took a dropped TD pass and a shanked FG to get them the AFC title. The Giants were inferior both times, but in '11, they were lucky to be there. 2019 they were deeply flawed but still had Tom, even tho he had mentally checked out. What year did they get blown out by the Ravens?

I am nitpicking a bit. They were dominant for a long time, no argument, but that middle stretch between 07 and the Seattle SB, they were not the juggernaut they were before or after.
2013 we got beat and 2009 we got beat at home by Ravens.. 2009 ray Rice 83 yard TD 1st play of the game. 2013 AFC Championship game we lost Talib and lost the game . The defense was the weak sister those years "11 " 12.. mainly the secondary.

Look at the high draft choices stripped from them for bogus incidents.

There is no team whose continuing success was hamstrung by deliberate outside forces that had nothing to do with their on the field activities.

No team in any sport has ever had their continued success under such an assault.
Don't forget that TB had spoken of his own political aspirations. Can't have that now can we? Instant character issues.

Harsh but necessary. We had Reagor as the big play wideout the last couple of games. We had six first downs and 116 yards of total offense in game 18.

Belichick has let the offense sink to a low that’s shocking.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back