Welcome to PatsFans.com

Trading up for talent

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Uncle Rico, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Rookie

Ratings:
    +114 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Since this was a constant theme of sport radio leading up to this week -- the Pats and their propensity for trading down instead of keeping picks or trading up -- I thought I'd revisit a 2009 Draft Day trade, courtesy the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/26/sports/football/26draft.html?_r=1&ref=football

More:

2. NEGoldenAge

NEGoldenAge Banned

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

When you trade up, you have no chance of players falling to you. You also have less picks when you trade up, giving you less chances at getting hits. This does not mean that one should never trade up, just that when you do, it better be for someone pretty special. I think this idea is reflected with the Pats. They don't trade up often, but when they do, it's for players like Mayo.
  3. Calciumee

Calciumee PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#3 Jersey

Deja Vu???
  4. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +465 / 5 / -1

For all the hype for the Jets' strategy of trading up or taking high draft picks, how often has it really worked? Twice? Three times? I think Revis, Harris, and Mangold are excellent picks, but most of the rest are overrated.

Ferguson is not worthy of the fourth overall pick. Gholston is definitely not worth a seventh overall pick. Sanchez will probably never come close to be a franchise QB. Shonn Greene is still a two game wonder until he proves otherwise. Their entire draft this year other than a fourth round fulllback may be disapointments or busts (Wilson has the potential to be good, but Ducasse and McKnight look to be lost causes already).
  5. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Patriots traded down for Mayo. We traded up for Brace.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  6. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

And the 17th pick (Jets original one), which then the Browns traded to TB was used to select Josh Freeman who when all is said and done may and likely will have a better career than Sanchez. Just watching him versus the Pats last year, he was obviously a rookie but he showed progression and even so far this year, catching a bit of their game on Sunday, considering the lack of talent around him, he's on the right track....
  7. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Rookie

Ratings:
    +114 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

That stood out to me for the same reason. I haven't kept up on Freeman, but based on that game last year I'd think he might have won that game last night.
  8. NEGoldenAge

NEGoldenAge Banned

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Ooops. :)
  9. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +572 / 6 / -0

:yeahthat: It's not necessarily right or wrong, just very, very risky. You'd better have total confidence in the players. Consider that in the past 2 drafts, the Patriots have made 8 picks in the top 2 rounds, the Jets 3, so those 3 (Wilson, Ducasse, Sanchez) better be darned good -- not just contributors, but impact players.

FWIW...I think Wilson probably will be darned good, eventually. But the Ryan Jets were a dicey landing place for a guy who straddled the line between confident and over-c0cky. As for Ducasse, despite my sentimental attachment to UMass, he was NOT on my draft board: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...28-draft-day-3-thread-page22.html#post1802944 And then there's Sanchez. I really can't fault a team for going all-in at the chance of a franchize QB. But ouch.

Meanwhile, early results suggest that the Pats went an incredible 8 for 8 on their picks -- I believe 7 of them started last night, with the sole exception being Cunningham who was coming off an injury! No matter how well you draft, there is no way to get 7 starting-caliber players by drafting 3 guys.
  10. BlueThunder

BlueThunder PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#24 Jersey

TWO THUMBS UP for the above post !! :rocker:
  11. bucky

bucky Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Since Brace went 40 and Butler 41, you would have to argue that the trade-up was for Butler, not Brace.
  12. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +201 / 4 / -5

Ironically, they got Mayo by trading out of 2007, and then trading down in 2008. :)
  13. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +201 / 4 / -5

Well, clearly they wanted both players, so you could argue that they traded for half of Butler and half of Brace. ;)
  14. condon84

condon84 Rookie

Ratings:
    +51 / 5 / -2

Did you guys see Clay Matthews vs the Eagles? That dude was the best player on the field when the Packers had their defense on versus the Eagles offense.

Stats for the game:

2 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 7 tackles, 1 pass defense

He looked like the Ultimate Warrior out there.
  15. betterthanthealternative

betterthanthealternative Rookie

Ratings:
    +64 / 3 / -0

This may appear to be irrefutable logic, but I bet Rex could do it. :)
  16. sbpatfan

sbpatfan Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Brandon Tate, Darius Butler, Rob Gronkowski, Julian Edelman > Clay Matthews
  17. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Rookie

Ratings:
    +114 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I think the main thing is that ANY pick is a risk, and any pick (or UDFA) can be a star.
  18. mosi

mosi Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yup, and the other USC guy on the Bengals was not bad either. The USC LB crew seems pretty good, while their QBs suck.
  19. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +175 / 5 / -21

Well said, prefer our method of team building, rather than just relying on a top ten pick... those picks are sexy, but if you draft a bust you are stuck.. Leinart, Russell, Gholston all come to mind.

We have about 50% of our roster as 1 and 2nd year players.. including UDFA's...
  20. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +396 / 5 / -6

#75 Jersey

I don't think trading up and down a few spots qualifies for the type of trade ups the Jesters do. We get qualified, affordable players this way, bargains, if you will.

If the Pats ever go for a big trade up it could be next year, if a great DE is available, unless Oakland cooperates and drops a high pick in their lap.

I don't think NE believes any other position is reliably worth the risk and salary. Better to have three shots at the second round than one lottery ticket.

Womder if they would have traded up for Suh, given the ammunition and less needs this yearn
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.