PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade down, pick Kiwanuka

Status
Not open for further replies.
stay put, draft cromartie

thats all i have to say :D

I agree, either trade down for Kiwi as an OLB (IF the coaching staff feel he can make the move), or trade down and take Carpenter or Wimbley as 3-4 OLBs.

Kiwi

No thank you. I see Kiwi as a 4-3 DE. He is not athletic enough to be an OLB.

Our Needs (in my opinion) as of right now (in order):

1) Wide Reciever- Gotta give the best QB in the league some weapons, right now he only has branch, who is oft-injured
no one worth taking at 21, holmes wont fall that far

2) Secondary- Our run D will be fine. McGinest is a big loss, but he was getting on in years, and was bound to breakdown, we still have wilfork, seymour, warren, Vrabel, bruschi, and colvin, our secondary, on the other hand, is always injured, what were we last year? 30th in pass defense?
cromartie/ williams(if hes there) are the only ones worth taking there, the BPA at 21 will be cromartie

3) Oline/ Running back- not sure which one it is, im assuming we need help at both position
Deangelo williams? white? maroney isnt worth it there, and no o-line is worth the 21 pick

4) OLB- we need depth, and a fourth starter
maybe greenway or lawson

I say no also..... Kiwi is a 4-3 guy. Pats will take Lawson, Carpenter or Deangelo Williams at 21....... :rocker:

Staying pat on day one and coming away with a DB, LB, RB and WR will be a very nice haul. I'll let the braintrust name the players, but if they do draft guys they think are good enough at those four spots - I'm a happy camper...........

mavfan2390 said:
Our Needs (in my opinion) as of right now (in order):

1) Wide Reciever- Gotta give the best QB in the league some weapons, right now he only has branch, who is oft-injured
no one worth taking at 21, holmes wont fall that far
There are other weapons at TE for Brady. In this draft, it would be better to take a WR later.

2) Secondary- Our run D will be fine. McGinest is a big loss, but he was getting on in years, and was bound to breakdown, we still have wilfork, seymour, warren, Vrabel, bruschi, and colvin, our secondary, on the other hand, is always injured, what were we last year? 30th in pass defense?
It was a fluke - you can't build a team around the expectation that your top three SS's are going to get injured. Should we now draft another SS (despite the two drafted on day 1 in the last two years), in case the top three get injured again? I just don't see how people can consider secondary such a big need. The starters are all set, and we have decent depth. We can pick up another CB for depth in free agency, as there are several good ones available (I'd like to see Azumah come here).

Taking a CB in round 1 would be a waste. Samuel, Hobbs, and Gay are fine for the 3 main CBs. Grab another vet or two in FA, and if a nice value CB is available later in the draft, take him. We don't even have a full set of starting LBs, so how can CB be a bigger need?

3) Oline/ Running back- not sure which one it is, im assuming we need help at both position
Deangelo williams? white? maroney isnt worth it there, and no o-line is worth the 21 pick

4) OLB- we need depth, and a fourth starter
maybe greenway or lawson
Personally, I'd change the order to:
1. LB (OLB or ILB, as Vrabel can play either)
2. RB (WR would go here, but due to the lack of depth in the draft....)
3. WR
4. OT

In round 1 I like Bobby Carpenter or Manny Lawson. The downside is that even though this is a great year for LBs, many teams are looking at OLB - including Dallas just a couple picks ahead of us.

Samuel, Hobbs, and Gay are fine for the 3 main CBs.

i have to disagree, gay is oft-injured, and harrison made him look good two seasons ago, samuel really isn't fast enough for a number one corner, and hobbs still very unexperienced (not that any corner we draft at 21 wouldnt be), but still, we good use a good, solid number, especially with harrison out till probably midseason,

mavfan2390 said:
i have to disagree, gay is oft-injured, and harrison made him look good two seasons ago, samuel really isn't fast enough for a number one corner, and hobbs still very unexperienced (not that any corner we draft at 21 wouldnt be), but still, we good use a good, solid number, especially with harrison out till probably midseason,
Gay is oft-injured? He's been in the league two years. The first one he was healthy all year (played all the way through the regular season, and started all post-season games). Him getting injured last year makes him "oft-injured"? I don't see it that way.

And who plays as the fourth LB? TBC?

I'd personally be much more comfortable with Samuel, Hobbs, and Gay as the CBs (and Hawkins, Scott, or Sanders as the SS if Harrison isn't ready), with the LB core being Colvin, Bruschi, Vrabel, and Manny Lawson or Bobby Carpenter, than with a new rookie CB (say Cromartie for example), and TBC as the starting OLB. TBC is a solid STer, and a decent backup - but I don't think he's proven himself to be a capable starting OLB, unfortunately.

Last edited:
The Patriots attempt to sign Townsend tells me that BB is looking for a veteran that can start at CB. That would push Samuel back to the nickel back where he was much more effective. I would have no problem with Hobbs, Samuel, Gay and a decent veteran (say a motivated McAlister) as our 4 CBs. I'd love to see us sign a veteran SS because Harrison's return is dicey. The combination of Gay/Hawkins doesn't do it for me. I'd prefer an intelligent headhunter out there that can make plays.
While others may disagree, I would like to see BB trade down several times and pick up an extra day 1 pick as well as something for 2007.
Since the season ended we've lost some LB depth and LB is the key to the 3-4. Granted we get Claridge back next season, but unless he has improved dramatically, what I saw in TC was a guy way in over his head, he's not going to be the answer. Alexander I like a lot. If he were faster, smarter and could cover, I'd be happy starting him at ILB.
AJ Hawk I like a lot. I know we have no chance of him dropping even remotely close enough for us to trade and select. This guy has Bruschi like instincts. The very stuff BB dreams about at night. When the offense lines up, Hawk knows what play is coming and is moving to the correct spot before the ball is in the QBs hands. That's very much unlike Carpenter, who plays slower than he runs, because he CAN'T read the play until after the ball is snapped.
I still think Lawson benefited greatly from having Super Lazy Mario on the defense with him. And maybe for that reason alone, the thought of him lined up on Seymour's outside shoulder intrigues me. If he could put up those numbers playing with Super Lazy Mario, just think of what he could do next to Richard "the beast" Seymour.
Greenway looks a lot thinner than 242 LBS. He's got spindly skinny legs and LBS. with skinny legs scare me.
The next couple of signings by the Pats shoud be real interesting but obvious needs. The drafdt as always under BB will remain hard to figure out beforehand.

Ochmed Jones said:
The Patriots attempt to sign Townsend tells me that BB is looking for a veteran that can start at CB. That would push Samuel back to the nickel back where he was much more effective. I would have no problem with Hobbs, Samuel, Gay and a decent veteran (say a motivated McAlister) as our 4 CBs. I'd love to see us sign a veteran SS because Harrison's return is dicey. The combination of Gay/Hawkins doesn't do it for me.
Are people completely unaware about Gus Scott and James Sanders? Both have a lot of potential. Both were unfortunately injured in fluke injuries just after Harrison. Both will be back, and both can play well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News