PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pick 2, 3 or 4

If Harrison somehow falls to us @3, you have to pick him imo. The Bears should take him since they already invested in Fields, but if they love Caleb and pick him, I'm assuming the Commanders are going to take Maye. That would leave us with Harrison. This would be the easiest pick.

If the Bears pick Harrison, the Commanders are probably gonna take Caleb which will leave the us with Maye. Do we take him at 3? Something about the kid screams Zach Wilson. All the impressive hightlights of him throwing on the run etc, does that really translate in the NFL? It's the same thing with Caleb and Daniels, they look great against college defenses but does that translate in the NFL?
I'll be really torn if Harrison Jr falls to us at three because we really, really, really need a cornerstone LT. That position nets us more wins than a WR does and Alt and Fashanu look like instant pro bowl caliber starters. Hopefully someone takes Harrison Jr at #1 or #2.

Agree with all of this except the bit about Williams. I've never seen a guy be able to throw so effortlessly, without a windup. I am not saying he's better than Mahomes, but I do think he throws better than Mahomes, and from as many angles and positions.

He reminds me of the unnatural plays one might make with a video game quarterback.

I'm wary of QBs who make unnatural plays in college. More often than not they can't do that in the NFL because everyone is as athletic as them. Lamar and Mike Vick are both anomalies, not the norm.

There is a good chance the Pats will pick Caleb though if he drops to them.

I'll be really torn if Harrison Jr falls to us at three because we really, really, really need a cornerstone LT. That position nets us more wins than a WR does and Alt and Fashanu look like instant pro bowl caliber starters. Hopefully someone takes Harrison Jr at #1 or #2.

I wouldn't hate an OT pick. The Cowboys didn't turn things around until they started spending draft capital on OLs. People would probably lose their minds though if we spend the #3 pick on an OT.

I wouldn't hate an OT pick. The Cowboys didn't turn things around until they started spending draft capital on OLs. People would probably lose their minds though if we spend the #3 pick on an OT.
A sign of the times I suppose. This was the smart move in the 90s and 2000s. I think it still is today.

MHJ at 3 imho

1. Pats should be forbidden to draft WR.
2. Without OL WRs (QBs) dont matter. Pats fans had every opportunity to learn this lesson the hard way this season.

In case you're wondering - this is the OT market in 2024. After franchise tags what remains is ultra expensive wasteland:
(+ Onwenu who is still considered as top RG above all in NE)
  1. Tyron Smith, Dallas Cowboys
  2. Trent Brown, New England Patriots
  3. Michael Onwenu, New England Patriots
  4. Mekhi Becton, New York Jets
  5. Jonah Williams, Cincinnati Bengals
  6. Austin Jackson, Miami Dolphins
  7. Donovan Smith, Kansas City Chiefs
  8. Jermaine Eluemunor, Las Vegas Raiders
  9. George Fant, Houston Texans
  10. Josh Jones, Houston Texans

Anything but top OT will lead to another wasted season incl wasted high pick incl another wasted WR.

Its very simple -
1. trade down (possibly incl next years 1st),
2. pick one of the great top 3 OTs - then pick another OT of the good top 15 OTs on day 2
3. trade up back to 1st in case theres QB you like
4. get WR1 through FA or trade
5. get solid vet QB in FA or trade

prego : )

2. Without OL WRs (QBs) dont matter. Pats fans had every opportunity to learn this lesson the hard way this season.

In case you're wondering - this is the OT market in 2024. After franchise tags what remains is ultra expensive wasteland:

Anything but top OT will lead to another wasted season incl wasted high pick incl another wasted WR.

Its very simple -
2. pick one of the great top 3 OTs - then pick another OT of the good top 15 OTs on day 2

It's not sexy but this is the only way. We might not even have a winning record next year (I think we would) but we'd at least be set for 2025 and beyond.

You can get by with a decent LT though.

Same can't be said of WRs.

I don't think Matt Light ever made a Pro Bowl, Nate Solder certainly never did. Hoping Sumataia, Morgan, Paul, Guyton are available at 34, maybe even Mims.

If the draft goes this way, we'd be practically forced to trade for Justin Fields.

Its very simple -

How would you be expected to get a WR if not through the draft?

I'm wary of QBs who make unnatural plays in college. More often than not they can't do that in the NFL because everyone is as athletic as them. Lamar and Mike Vick are both anomalies, not the norm.

There is a good chance the Pats will pick Caleb though if he drops to them.
To be clear, I was only talking about his ability to throw. I simply can't comprehend how he does it. With accuracy and velocity. Never saw anyone like him before.

Harrison is the best WR to come out in ages. He's like Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald. If you have a QB like Fields, the best thing you can do for him is give him Harrison.

But you're not getting Harrison if you trade down for #1 unless you're willing to give the Patriots almost as big a ransom as you got for Caleb Williams.

Say some team gives the Bears 3 first rounders and a 2nd (the 49ers gave up 3 first rounders and a 3rd for Lance, including the #12 pick which ended up being Micah Parsons) for Williams. I suspect the haul might be even bigger than that. 4 first rounders. The Bears would have to turn around and give the Patriots more than half of that haul.

Would the Patriots take the deal? They'd have to first insist on the higher pick (4-8) than the Bears own 9. Why? Because this is a draft with only 14 players with first round grades, and they would want an immediate player (likely a tackle).

The Bears just may decide to stick it out with Harrison. These guys are worth at least 2 or 3 first rounders these days.
I don’t think anyone can accurately assess a quarterback’s chances. It’s like they’re playing a different game at the pro level with the speed and processing required. The college game is a very different environment, and now the QB has to make quick risk/reward decisions and throw to anticipated spots. You can find guys with the right height, body build, arm strength, athleticism, etc but you’re really rolling the dice. With some other positions it seems a lot more of a sure thing that all pro level talent will translate to the next level.

I think trading multiple firsts for a college QB is insane. I think the Patriots should draft any player with all pro/hof consensus, like Harrison Jr or Alt, and with their first pick where there isn’t such a sure fire player, pick a QB over 6’3” with pro level skills. I think they should continue to draft a QB until someone hits, which might mean drafting one in rds 1-2 for a few years, until the QB issue is solved either through the draft or fa.

You said it was short money for a backup. It’s silly money to pay for a guy you are going to toss away
OK, when we sign our veteran starter, please refer to this post. Apparently yu think that yo are getting a starter for 2024 for $5M AAV. And yes, I expect this to be a 2 year contract and have the veteran be the backup.

But then, perhaps you prefer the Belichick pilosophy of not having a backup as has been the case recently.
========
TO BE CLEAR, and I understand that you disagree:

1) I expect us to draft a QB in the top half of the first round.

2) I expect to sign or trade for a veteran to start 2024 until the rookie is ready. This veteran would then be the backup, starting games when necessary/

3) I expect to have to pay the veteran SILLY MONEY of $10-15M a year.

Have you guyz, wondered if, Let's say the qb we like is sitting at 3 , we can trade 3 to either cardinals or chargers if Marvin Harrison is available and get a extra 2nd round pick.

That way we get QB, OT and WR with top 40 picks.
???
we trade our 3 to the chargers so that they can pick Harrison.

ARIZ now trades the rights to pick a QB to the highest bidder.

Would the Patriots be crazy to look at trading for Jordan Love?

Maybe they need not give up much draft capital.
The packers are a playoff team with Love starting. You expect them to dump him to us for next to nothing. WHY?

:)
torn between an OT and a WR

OK, when we sign our veteran starter, please refer to this post. Apparently yu think that yo are getting a starter for 2024 for $5M AAV. And yes, I expect this to be a 2 year contract and have the veteran be the backup.

But then, perhaps you prefer the Belichick pilosophy of not having a backup as has been the case recently.
========
TO BE CLEAR, and I understand that you disagree:

1) I expect us to draft a QB in the top half of the first round.

2) I expect to sign or trade for a veteran to start 2024 until the rookie is ready. This veteran would then be the backup, starting games when necessary/

3) I expect to have to pay the veteran SILLY MONEY of $10-15M a year.
You have to pay Fields the 5th year option to keep him 2 years. Thats likely $30,000,000. To sit on the bench.

There should be zero discussions if the choice was between OT & a generational WR.

You take MHJ
if that is indeed the choice.
Unless we are trying for higher pick next year, we will be choosing our QB with our first pick.
==========
We all might list the players considered generational WR's in the top the draft and how many SB's the team won.

You have to pay Fields the 5th year option to keep him 2 years. Thats likely $30,000,000. To sit on the bench.
MEA CULPA

I had thought that the 5th year option would be closer to $20M as was discussed for Love before the 2023 season.

if that is indeed the choice.
Unless we are trying for higher pick next year, we will be choosing our QB with our first pick.
==========
We all might list the players considered generational WR's in the top the draft and how many SB's the team won.
Maybe not.

Teams might not be sold on Maye or Daniels. You have to let the evaluation play out.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back