PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Curran: BJGE could be 2010 starter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember some of the fanbase being pissed off and then, ultimately, they looked completely ******ed as it came out that Maroney was still trying to play with a broken shoulder/collarbone.

I remember some of the fanbase being pissed off and then, ultimately, they looked completely ******ed as it came out that Maroney was still trying to play with a broken shoulder/collarbone.

I'm sorry for what I said. The fanbase was mad he got injured, just like they were in flames and meltdown Brady got injured. Not mad at Maroney exactly.

His third year, he pissed off ALOT of the fanbase by suffering a season-ending injury

Why didn't you quote the whole thing? People were mad at the time, given the circumstances.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my whole post.
Why dont we just agree that we will never agree.
You appear to have many opinions that I am diametrically opposed to. I think it would be pointless to go back and forth, and I know me, and I will end up coming over the top on you, and I don't want to do that.
Its fine. You think Maroney is useless, made of glass, afraid to get hit, and you are pissed at him because he had the nerve to get injured.
You are entitled to your opinion.

Why dont we just agree that we will never agree.
You appear to have many opinions that I am diametrically opposed to. I think it would be pointless to go back and forth, and I know me, and I will end up coming over the top on you, and I don't want to do that.

+1. Disagreeing on one man out of the 53 on the roster shouldn't cause you to ignore me everywhere else on the forums though. :(

According to RayClay, the Media Guide is not reliable. Cool.

Then using the numbers to show why they're not important is a bad way of arguing. Obviously using examples to prove a point is unheard of.

Sweet Jesus. Batten down the hatches, here I come declaring war. Anyway, I just wanted to throw it out there that the launch point for this thread is wrong. What I said was, in my opinion, starting BJGE was an indication that he and Maroney are in a virtual dead heat at this point or BJGE is ahead. Taylor is their best back. Healthy until proven otherwise.

I love the passion you guys show. What's jaw-dropping, though, is the number of times one guy misconstrues what we say, sprints with it and touches off a &*$$ storm.

The fact that people believe I said anything from "Brady will miss 2009" up to "Brady's career is over" is proof of that.

Enjoy the season.

Tom Curran
[email protected]

What's jaw-dropping, though, is the number of times one guy misconstrues what we say, sprints with it and touches off a &*$$ storm.

Like the media does, including yourself?

Hey!...is that the Dragon???

you owe me twenty bucks from that bet we made at Murphy's Deli years ago...pay up

Sweet Jesus. Batten down the hatches, here I come declaring war. Anyway, I just wanted to throw it out there that the launch point for this thread is wrong. What I said was, in my opinion, starting BJGE was an indication that he and Maroney are in a virtual dead heat at this point or BJGE is ahead. Taylor is their best back. Healthy until proven otherwise.

I love the passion you guys show. What's jaw-dropping, though, is the number of times one guy misconstrues what we say, sprints with it and touches off a &*$$ storm.

The fact that people believe I said anything from "Brady will miss 2009" up to "Brady's career is over" is proof of that.

Enjoy the season.

Tom Curran
[email protected]

So this entire discussion has been based upon what you personally think that the meaning of BJGE playing first on Thursday is an indication of?
I believe it was portrayed here as you passing on inside infrmation from the organization.

According to RayClay, the Media Guide is not reliable. Cool.

Then using the numbers to show why they're not important is a bad way of arguing. Obviously using examples to prove a point is unheard of.

I looked through the Patriots Media Guide for those and for the 1997 one I pulled up ProFootballReference.com's data.

1995-1997 were his Patriot years.

Why did you use Football reference for 96 and 97, but the Media guide for 95?

Football reference doesn't have a listing for 95?

Looks like you went shopping until you found a statistic you liked.

I imagine some ruling was changed, which happens, so obviously the stat you shopped for was amended later, as recorded in NFL.com and Pro football Reference.

By the way, both of those respected sources cover all of Martin's career, so it isn't necessary to find a different source for each year.

Unless you're saying they are all right and the media guide is using a 37 inch yard, or something.

Last edited:

Enjoy the season.

Tom Curran
[email protected]

The problem with your claim, Tom, seems to be a comment by Taylor undercutting it:

9. Running back rotation. In a surprise, it was third-year back BenJarvus Green-Ellis as the top runner; he played 21 of the 31 first-half snaps. Veteran Fred Taylor didn't play, and said after the game that he was aware that would be the case. The plan, Taylor said, is to feature different running backs at various points during the preseason.

Recapping the ten things to watch for New England Patriots-New Orleans Saints preseason opener - ESPN Boston

Using your means of interpretation, it would seem that every one of the running backs is in some form of a statistical tie. I'm not saying that you're right or wrong, only that other comments seem to make the BJGE start far less indicative of anything other than an exhibition season rotation.

P.S. Thanks for the post. Please feel free to drop in more often.

Last edited:
Tom Curran:

Regarding your idea that BJGE may be neck and neck with Maroney, or possibly in line to be the Pats' "starting" RB, whatever you're smoking, can you tell me where you got it?

Enjoy the season.

Tom Curran
[email protected]

...or it could be that the coaches want to get a good look at BJGE running with the ones because they wanted to save Taylor and see what BJGE can offer and decide whether or not he warrants a roster spot. Personally, I don't take Lawfirm starting preseason week 1 as any indication that he's in a dead heat with the team's #2 running back as of right now. If that's the case, are you putting him ahead of Sammy Morris?

Um, because he was on a different team in 1998 and I had the 96 and 97 Media Guides handy? Seriously, what is your problem?

Oh, I do apologize for neglecting a .15 difference of a YPC. Surely, a difference has been made. Either 3.9 or 4.05 YPC for 95 then.

The point I was raising is still valid. YPC don't measure the true value of a RB's contribution to a team. 1996 was Martin's worst year as a Patriot YPC-wise, yet there the Patriots were...in the Super Bowl.

Like I said, I'm not saying BJGE is Curtis Martin. Just saying that if the guy can do what the team asks him to do then what's the problem with him?

Um, because he was on a different team in 1998 and I had the 96 and 97 Media Guides handy? Seriously, what is your problem?

Oh, I do apologize for neglecting a .15 difference of a YPC. Surely, a difference has been made. Either 3.9 or 4.05 YPC for 95 then.

The point I was raising is still valid. YPC don't measure the true value of a RB's contribution to a team. 1996 was Martin's worst year as a Patriot YPC-wise, yet there the Patriots were...in the Super Bowl.

Like I said, I'm not saying BJGE is Curtis Martin. Just saying that if the guy can do what the team asks him to do then what's the problem with him?
for the 1997 one I pulled up ProFootballReference.com's data.

1995-1997 were his Patriot years.
lol............

Like I said, your prevarications and variations don't matter, Curtis Martin was a bad example. Of course YPC aren't the only indicator for a running back. Next time you want to make that argument use Eddie George, he was a Pro bowler with lousy YPC because he was a powerful grinder, which Martin was not.

Last edited:
Yeah? Your emphasis still doesn't make sense. 1997 was his last year as a Patriot. His stats would have to be in the 1998 Media Guide.

When he was on the Jets.

To the others: is RayClay always like this...?

Like the media does, including yourself?

I guess it's understandable that reporters don't want us to do for free what they earn their living doing. I mean, if we could spout off crap and make our own half-baked prognostications, then what would we need the media for?

I seriously doubt that's actually Curran.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes