PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Curran: BJGE could be 2010 starter

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I agree with your analysis. I don't agree with your characterization of this as an indictment.
Yeah, indictment was too strong a word. What I meant was that everyone is looking at BJGE's playing with the ones as meaning BB is thinking highly of the guy, and I think BB is going to cut one of Morris and BJGE. Running with the Ones is the way to see BJGE. BB already knows what Morris can and can't do, and even if he keeps Morris over BJGE, Morris will have had rest.

Not sure why you think it's Morris that gets cut...why not Taylor?

There's not much tread left on either one...Taylor or Morris

Not sure why you think it's Morris that gets cut...why not Taylor?

There's not much tread left on either one...Taylor or Morris

Would anyone here truly be "shocked" if BJGE, Fred Taylor, Morris or Maroney was cut?

Hamburger started with the rest of#1's on Thursday.

Since we are on the topic of how a running back can improve, how about, " Don't dance, don't run out of bounds when you see a hit coming, don't cough the ball up regularly and kill you team, don't be injury prone, don't get Brady killed with your poor blocking and don't be the worst first round pick of the BB era. And, oh yeah, don't be what come out after we digest Hamburger."

I love people like yourself who have to exaggerate to attempt to make a point:

1) Maroney has ALWAYS been a cut back runner. ALWAYS. Anyone who read any sort of report on him when he was coming out of college knew this. BTW, nice of you to forget that the O-line got called out last year for their inconsistent run blocking..

2) Every RB, when they are along the sidelines, steps out of bounds.

3) Don't be injury prone? God, you are an arrogant person. You act like Maroney WANTS to get injured. I can guarantee you he doesn't. But let's also forget that Maroney wasn't injured last year.

4) Don't cough up the ball? Maroney had 4 fumbles on over 580 rushes and 1 fumble on 40 receptions. How is that "coughing the ball up regularly"? He's not like Faulk was early in his career...

5) Don't get Brady killed? You're clearly referring to the Ravens game. And you're wrong. Ray Lewis wasn't Maroney's assignment. Lewis was Koppen's assignment and Koppen blew it. Maroney made an attempt to get over there, but it was in vain. But it was CLEAR that Maroney was supposed to be looking for a guy coming around the end. Which was the protection call.

6) As for being "the worst 1st round draft pick of the Belichick era" someone has to be. And I think many people would put Ben Watson there over Maroney, but it's debatable.

Oh, and maybe you should take your own advice when it comes to posting.

I'd be shocked if Maroney ( A first round pick) was cut.....

Not so much the other 3...but I'd go youth over the 2 old vets.....Faulk is still a keeper.

If Maroney's the worst pick of the Belichick era, then that just speaks to how well the Patriots draft. Just about every other team would kill to have him be their worst pick.

Why has this thread evolved into Maroney bashing? He is not going to get cut. He is young, is still cheap (still on his rookie contract), and has good value across the board.

Rewatching game on NFL Network now...2nd series...FIRST TEAM UNITS on field.

BJGE carries for 6yds- 2nd and 4

Moss catch for first dwn.

BJGE carries for 4 yds.

Moss 23 yds for first...

BJGE toss sweep left...0 yds ( nothing there and Maroney probably gets stuffed or dances and loses yds)

BJGE- carries for 4 yds

Faulk Draw for 5 or so...first dwn

BJGE stuffed on a LB shooting gap.

BJGE 6 yds for TD....Nice blocking by Gronk to seal inside and Connely takes out Vilma.

The Lawfirm gets what is there...didn't lose yds dancing...granted, NO isn't toughest run D, but Pats are missing 2 starting OL....

You do realize that Maroney has been one of the better backs in the league when it comes to NOT losing yards, yes?

He has made tremendous improvements in blocking and catching, from what I saw at camp, in the joint practices, and in the first preseason game.

He has been working with the JUGS machine.

A bit of a tangent but sometimes the new this year's version of a young player is NOT the same as the previous year's. Some guys have some upside and work to realize it. Others don't or don't.

In contrast to the stone handed (hyperbole for the impaired) last seasons guy, the summer 2010 BJGE looked smooth in the easy passing drills I saw, for what little that's worth.

Add me to the list who would be shocked if Faulk were cut and very surprised if Maroney was cut. All the others are in play depending on age, health, camp showing and the # of RBs BB decides to carry. I think history shows we'll need 5.

Last edited:
How does this work? Please indicate how many carries the #4 RUNNING back had over the Belichick years. And that does NOT include 3rd down back or fullback. If you include fullback, then that role is likely not be fulfilled by the current group of running backs.

. I think history shows we'll need 5.

Last edited:
So if Hoyer starts the second preseason game, he could be the 2010 starter... according to Curran's line of thinking.

You do realize that Maroney has been one of the better backs in the league when it comes to NOT losing yards, yes?

No...but I'm sure you'll post the links to back it up... :eek:

My point is.... IN THOSE SITUATIONS....BJGE gets what is there.....

I've been a Pat fan since they played their very first game...before Fenway Park games....I call it like I see it.....maybe LoMo has a big year and stays healthy this year...I hope he does. I also happen to think BJGE can help this club more than Morris or Taylor....

Don't get your panties in a bunch son....

No...but I'm sure you'll post the links to back it up... :eek:

My point is.... IN THOSE SITUATIONS....BJGE gets what is there.....

I've been a Pat fan since they played their very first game...before Fenway Park games....I call it like I see it.....maybe LoMo has a big year and stays healthy this year...I hope he does. I also happen to think BJGE can help this club more than Morris or Taylor....

Don't get your panties in a bunch son....

Seems that YOU are the one getting your panties in a bunch since you felt the need to whip your **** out and show everyone how much of a "FAN" you are... Just because you've followed them for 40 years doesn't mean you know a damn thing about the game and what is good..

As for a link, since you're so smart, why don't you so a search on hear about it. It's been posted about 100 times.. But then, you'll probably not believe it because you "call it like you see it".

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england.../281406-maroney-best-stat-ive-seen-page3.html
http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstats.php?year=2009&pos=RB&season=all

You'll notice that in 2007 and 2009 Maroney was 3rd in the league in Success Rate. Success rate = % of carries for positive yards.

Last edited:
In 2007, Kelvin Kight started the first preseason game and was cut by the end of camp.

In 2007, David Boston started in the first preseason game and was cut by the end of camp.

In 2008, Chad Jackson started the first preseason game and was cut by the end of camp.

In 2008, Fernando Bryant started the first preseason game and got cut.

In 2008, Antwain Spann started the first preseason game and ended up on the practice squad.

Let's not go overboard on who started the game on Thursday. History has shown that starting the first preseason game doesn't even guarantee you a roster spot nevermind a starting role.

Well I guess the pro fan showed me !!!

I feel so humiliated :singing:

In 2007, Kelvin Kight started the first preseason game and was cut by the end of camp.

In 2007, David Boston started in the first preseason game and was cut by the end of camp.

In 2008, Chad Jackson started the first preseason game and was cut by the end of camp.

In 2008, Fernando Bryant started the first preseason game and got cut.

In 2008, Antwain Spann started the first preseason game and ended up on the practice squad.

Let's not go overboard on who started the game on Thursday. History has shown that starting the first preseason game doesn't even guarantee you a roster spot nevermind a starting role.

/thread.../

Well I guess the pro fan showed me !!!

I feel so humiliated :singing:

Never claimed to be a pro fan. As I said before you were the one who started the swinging **** contest.. You are also the one who called me out on that stat.. So I provided it for you. If you don't like the results, maybe you should re-think your actions.

How does this work? Please indicate how many carries the #4 RUNNING back had over the Belichick years. And that does NOT include 3rd down back or fullback. If you include fullback, then that role is likely not be fulfilled by the current group of running backs.

Put down the late afternoon coffee.

No FB

One more time, recent history has shown that the current roster is brittle and we've carried (2009 Maroney, Faulk, Morris, Taylor, BJGE) and needed 5 RBs. My ideal roster would only have 4 but this talent/experience pool indicates 5 is probably needed.

Looking at # of carries for the #4 RB is an irrelevant stat in this context.

Along the lines of the prior post, it's apparent that working out Edelperson at RB is a Plan B or C for a Faulk injury.

Morris, Maroney, Taylor, Green-Ellis, and Faulk look like five solid backs to me. I'd be fine with any of them as a starter. Faulk is more of a role player, so I see Green-Ellis making the team at least as an insurance option for the other three backs. I think he's a nice downhill runner, like Morris, and that's what we need more from our backs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back