PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Curran: BJGE could be 2010 starter

Status
Not open for further replies.
'
You're real excited about this, huh? I'm sure we could trade BJGE's one dimensional style and his 3.1 avg in preseason for a high draft pick if we wanted.

come on now ray....1 game......against best team in the league.....with constant subs in OL.....that were not always on same page and blocking overly well....maroney wouldn't have fared much better.....I'm sure you are going to see plenty of lomo (and others) this season..

'

come on now ray....1 game......against best team in the league.....with constant subs in OL.....that were not always on same page and blocking overly well....maroney wouldn't have fared much better.....I'm sure you are going to see plenty of lomo (and others) this season..

NO's rush defense is terrible. It does not bode well to only average 3.1 YPC against them. At least in Maroney's case, most of his carries were at the goal line, so his sub-4 makes sense.

It was plain t me that BB is evaluating his bottom of roster RBs. when ohte ris he going ot do it?

It's becasue he is thinking of adding to the RB crew. BB has taken steps to groom Edelman as the next KFaulk, TBrown and/or DMeggett.

It's plain that he is shifty, and punt returns are a forte. He can get open and catch the short stuff. Now he has to demonstrate a talent that he had in college.

Can he run as a RB well enough?

Finally he must demonstrate a talent not yet shown, but one that can be taught. Can he pass block?

On the second touchdown I thought BJGE looked really fast, I did not realize that Maroney had subbed in. If you watched BJGE run in the 1Q and then did not see a difference when Maroney was running, I think you need to review the tape. BJGE is a solid RB, but he does not cut well and is never going to break a long run because he is too slow. Not the starter.

Maroney's speed doesn't really matter that much - how many runs did he have last year over 20 yards? Not many.

With the lethal passing attack this team has, a breakaway runner isn't that important. You simply need a reliable RB who can move the chains and put your team in good down and distance situations.

Maroney's speed doesn't really matter that much - how many runs did he have last year over 20 yards? Not many.

With the lethal passing attack this team has, a breakaway runner isn't that important. You simply need a reliable RB who can move the chains and put your team in good down and distance situations.

Without the speed the D will cheat up. Speed is always important - BJGE is not a big bulldozer.

'

I'm responding to the poster who has him as a starter. He's the same as he was before the game, a marginal fifth running back. IMO, if he wants to be more secure, he should work on his blocking, receiving and special teams.

I like the kid, I'm a downhill runner fan myself, but he's not a bruiser either. Hamburger doesn't become tenderloin because some writer is looking for a catchy headline.

I'm responding to the poster who has him as a starter. He's the same as he was before the game, a marginal fifth running back. IMO, if he wants to be more secure, he should work on his blocking, receiving and special teams.

I like the kid, I'm a downhill runner fan myself, but he's not a bruiser either. Hamburger doesn't become tenderloin because some writer is looking for a catchy headline.

Hamburger started with the rest of#1's on Thursday.

Since we are on the topic of how a running back can improve, how about, " Don't dance, don't run out of bounds when you see a hit coming, don't cough the ball up regularly and kill you team, don't be injury prone, don't get Brady killed with your poor blocking and don't be the worst first round pick of the BB era. And, oh yeah, don't be what come out after we digest Hamburger."

Without the speed the D will cheat up. Speed is always important - BJGE is not a big bulldozer.

Of course BJGE isn't a big bulldozer, he's not slow and lumbering.

Last year's leading rusher was Chris Johnson who is 5'11 and 191.

Last edited:
Hamburger started with the rest of#1's on Thursday.

Since we are on the topic of how a running back can improve, how about, " Don't dance, don't run out of bounds when you see a hit coming, don't cough the ball up regularly and kill you team, don't be injury prone, don't get Brady killed with your poor blocking and don't be the worst first round pick of the BB era. And, oh yeah, don't be what come out after we digest Hamburger."

Obviously the starting lineup is set for the year. My apologies.

Last edited:
I like things about BJGE and I don't like other things......

He's shifty and runs low to the ground making him hard to see...he hits holes fast....can see where to run to avoid tacklers.

Dislikes....He runs low to the ground and goes down fast.....blocking skills to protect Brady need improving.

I would rather keep BJGE and have one of the aging vets (Taylor /Morris) get the axe. Look to the future. BJGE, with additional game reps has more upside and is young.

JMHO

Tom Curran said on Comcast Sportstonight that it is his understanding that Ben Jarvis Green Ellis and Maroney are both now tied for the starting half back position on the New England Patriots. Curran says that he agrees with the Patriots that BJGE and Maroney should be tied now for the starting spot.

Further, Curran says that Fred Taylor made a point of coming over to him and asking him to put into print that " Ben Jarvis deserves this opportunity to be the lead back. He is a good running back. Print that. "

This is nothing but the final act of war against the patriots by possibly the biggest SOB sellout in football history. Curran used to actually be one of us, and now he is literally a dirty SOB lying SOB Mofo.

This was made up, end of story. The possiblity exists that Taylor said law firm deserves a chance, but that is a no brainer. Anybody that plays on the team deserves a chance. Curran is simply trolling for attention.

Last edited:
Who starts in the first preseason game has little relavence to who is "first". In the pre season its all about the number of carries a player gets. Clearly there is no need to give Taylor and Morris carries at this stage, and if Moroney ends up being the #1, you don't want to give him a lot of preseason carries either.

The mediots will try and make a big thing about this, but the fact is, BJGE still didn't average 4ypc for the night. Plus BB will put the RB's ability to block as a higher priority than his running skill.

Obviously the starting lineup is set for the year. My apologies.

Actually no. I'll admit I wouldn't be shocked if BJGE was cut. But I feel that way about all of our backs not named Faulk. I would not be shocked if Maroney, Morris, Taylor, or BJGE started or were cut.

Based on Maroney, Fred Taylor, and Morris all being injury prone, I also would not be shocked to see that any of the (4) lead the Patriots in rushing this season ( or be cut/traded ). I say traded because regardless of what Troy Brown said about Maroney possibly being cut, I would hope we could get at least a 5th rounder for him.

Funny part is, Maroney ran better than him last night, so why would this come up?
Because Maroney ran against second and third stringers and only averaged 0.7 more ypc?

Actually no. I'll admit I wouldn't be shocked if BJGE was cut. But I feel that way about all of our backs not named Faulk. I would not be shocked if Maroney, Morris, Taylor, or BJGE started or were cut.

Based on Maroney, Fred Taylor, and Morris all being injury prone, I also would not be shocked to see that any of the (4) lead the Patriots in rushing this season ( or be cut/traded ). I say traded because regardless of what Troy Brown said about Maroney possibly being cut, I would hope we could get at least a 5th rounder for him.

I'd be absolutely shocked if Maroney were cut, if BJGE got anywhere close to a significant number of carries or if this place didn't find reasons to bash Maroney all year. BJGE as 2010 starter lol, I love this place.

Because Maroney ran against second and third stringers and only averaged 0.7 more ypc?

Well, why not put the weighted formula in your running back relevance calculator and let me know the definitive answer. I can't wait.

I like BJGE, but I do not think he has a great deal of upside. BJGE has pretty good hands, but he does not get up to full speed very quickly, so any screens will end up being shortet gains than if it were any of the other backs.

Maroney lacks vision, hence all of the dancing. With Maroney if the hole is not in front of him he seems very indecisive(get a better run blocking OL?). In the preseason game, even though he had some good runs, he still was indecisive when the hole was not open immediately. If you look at all very good-great RB's they are decisive, but patient and Maroney is patient because he is indecisive.

I would like to see T. Clayton get more looks. He has done well in every preseason game I have seen him in. You tube him and you will see a decisive RB with good quicks and takle breaking ability.

Personally, I think YPC is somewhat overrated a statistic.

I'm more interested in if the guy got the yards that were there for him to get. Curtis Martin barely managed to get the supposedly vaunted 4 YPC everyone seems on about and yet I doubt we'd find anyone here who wouldn't want him.

So why the love of these sort of stats?

So by that logic, we can expect the Patriots will favor Maroney over BJGE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back