PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time to Get Brady Weapons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree on injury prone and bb should have a crystal ball and know everything.

Btw, gronk started his first 46 games and 2 full seasons. And now has played part of 2 seasons. So I wouldn't categorize him injury prone yet

Whether you agree with Deus or not, one thing that I do believe is that the position should have been addressed a bit more. It was great that we went with a youth movement for the future, but for this specific year we should have had a better blend of experience to add to that youth.

Once Hernandez was arrested in the 3rd week of June, and Gronk had just had his upteenth surgery a few weeks prior that pretty much guaranteed that he'd be missing time into the season too, something should have been done to improve the receiving situation.

That left us without Welker, Hernandez, Gronkowski, Woodhead, Llyod, etc and replaced them with Amendola/Edelman + a bunch of rookies and castoffs. It was great to see them overachieve and remain highly competitive, but it also left us very susceptible to even ONE injury, let alone the usual norm around here of just about everyone getting beat up.

Once Gronk went down we were screwed. As good as the running game looked, once you get into the deeper rounds of the postseason, you aren't likely to be facing bottom 10 ranked rush defenses anymore like BUF/IND. The lack of receiving options was a weakness that just couldn't be overcome.

You forgot the following:

Fells wasn't a receiver
Ballard was recovering from microfracture knee surgery
DUDfeld was a rookie TE and was a DUD

Good point. Sudfeld was also another injury waiting to happen, as I recall.

But BB couldn't possibly have seen any of these guys getting hurt or not panning out! It's only by magic that a bunch of geeks on a message board were able to foresee the possible problems. There were just no clues to be found anywhere!

My favorite part of the article:

"With each missed connection it became apparent the dull blade they started the season with had been worn down to a nub by the end of contest.

Only willfully ignorant enablers were blind to this reality
entering Sunday's 26-16 loss to the Denver Broncos."

Like maybe those that were bold enough to actually compare our 2nd half offensive output with that of the much loaded Denver Broncos, like there was any sort of comparison without Rob Gronkowski whatsoever?

New England Patriots enter another offseason seeking offensive weapons | masslive.com

The lack of receiving options was a weakness that just couldn't be overcome.
Matt Mulligan and James Develin on the football field; Jack del Rio was panicking on the sideline. :rolleyes:

Matt Mulligan and James Develin on the football field; Jack del Rio was panicking on the sideline. :rolleyes:

It was a good effort from a group that obviously lacked any kind of talent, which was actually a nice change from some of the teams in the past, effort-wise. In the end however, the lack of physicality on a consistent enough level or maybe more appropriately--occurring at the right time, was a big part of the difference once again.

The lack of talent on offense was downright pathetic though. As I stated all week long and hoped like hell that I'd be wrong, there's a huge difference between rushing on the bottom 10 of the league in rush defense (which we were 5-0), and the better rush defenses in the league such as DEN's 7th ranked attack.

The offensive "weapons" in the passing game were practically non-existent once Gronk went down, as much as some kept pounding the drum that there was somehow a huge misconception that we couldn't pass, and how guys like Dobson were going to strap on the Superman cape and suddenly go off Randy Moss 2007 style.

...The offensive "weapons" in the passing game were practically non-existent once Gronk went down, as much as some kept pounding the drum that there was somehow a huge misconception that we couldn't pass, and how guys like Dobson were going to strap on the Superman cape and suddenly go off Randy Moss 2007 style.

Did you catch this in the article:

Dobson... only caught three passes that traveled 20 or more yards through the air during the regular season...

New England Patriots enter another offseason seeking offensive weapons | masslive.com

That was the team's "deep threat".

:bricks:

The offensive "weapons" in the passing game were practically non-existent once Gronk went down, as much as some kept pounding the drum that there was somehow a huge misconception that we couldn't pass, and how guys like Dobson were going to strap on the Superman cape and suddenly go off Randy Moss 2007 style.
You have been reading too many PatheticOfficerOverTheTopHomer posts this season.

You have been reading too many PatheticOfficerOverTheTopHomer posts this season.

As nice as a guy that he seems to be, I learned pretty quickly to ignore any of that nonsense. That's fairy tale stuff right there.

I try hard to be as optimistic as possible, but there's a point where reality kicks in too.

As nice as a guy that he seems to be, I learned pretty quickly to ignore any of that nonsense. That's fairy tale stuff right there.

I try hard to be as optimistic as possible, but there's a point where reality kicks in too.

"I was talking to a friend who's a Houston Oilers fan, and he told me that the Pats are primed to go 23-0 next year."

In all seriousness, I tend to believe that individual players should be assessed in both the "best case" and "worst case" scenario.In the case of Dobson, for example, I view the worst case as him suffering sophmore slump, while the best case is that he develops into a pretty good (not great) receiving option (In an ideal world, he's be behind Gronk and Edelmandola). The reality is probably somewhere in between, however.

Just like I view it to be asinine to call a player a bust after one year, I also think that some people jumped the gun and thought that Dobson would become this top WR in his rookie year, which is utterly insane even if you're drafting a highly regarded 1st round talent.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on injury prone and bb should have a crystal ball and know everything.

Btw, gronk started his first 46 games and 2 full seasons. And now has played part of 2 seasons. So I wouldn't categorize him injury prone yet

Exactly

All these NFL players have had injuries at one time or another.

How could BB have known that Gronk would tear his knee up?
How could BB have known that all 3 rookie WRs would suffer injuries that would hinder development?
Edelman just played in the AFCC and should be a priority FA signing.
Vereen just played in the AFCC

No they didn't. Maybe you should stop parroting Phil Simms and do some research on your own so you don't look silly.

Broncos have on IR:
Ryan Clady - OT (All- PRO)
Von Miller - OLB (ALL-PRO)
Derek Wolfe - DE
Kevin Vickerson - DT
Rahim Moore - S
Stewart Bradley - Reserve LB - IRed prior to start of season
Dan Koppen - C- IRed prior to start of season
Chris Harris - CB
Lerentee McCree - OLB

Pats have on IR:
Sebastian Vollmer - OT (All-Pro)
Jerod Mayo - LB - (All-Pro)
Vince Wilfork - NT (All-Pro)
Rob Gronkowski TE (All-PRO)
Tommy Kelly - Starting DT
Brandon Spikes - Starting ILB
Josh Boyce - WR/KR

So, let's see. The Pats have 4 all pro and 6 starters and you think that is the same as losing 2 All-Pros and some mediocre players Denver was forced to start..

You're making a fool out of yourself. You do this every time the pats lose. I realize you feel combative right now after the patriots lost and emotions are still a bit high around here, but maybe you ought to step away from the computer for a few weeks. Vickerson, harris, clady and von miller are all good players the broncos lost. Quit making excuses. My point was not about which team lost more valuable players, but that both teams had to deal with injuries. Clearly the broncos dealt with it better than NE.

100% wrong there

We can agree to disagree. I'm not going to make excuses for this team anymore - every year it's the same thing. Injury to gronk, injury to talib, another injury to gronk and talib....whatever.

Broncos lost two of their best defensive players in harris and miller. There's no reason why mcdaniels and brady couldn't get it done on offense. You want to blame the oline? They seem to do ok against a bills and ravens team with a better pass rush. They were simply outcoached and outplayed.

We also need to make plan to prevent Brady's weapons from getting their own weapons...

Please keep Gronk away from gun shows. I can just picture him grabbing the wrong end of a MP5 while goofily exclaiming "wow dude, this is sooooo cool...".

Deus. If bb knew that one TE was a serial killer and the other would have his knee taken out to end his season, he would have done something. If he knew the RB's would have health, and fumble issues, he would have done something. If he knew the d would get a rash of injuries and the lines would be decimated, he would have done something.

I am sad we lost, but you don't think these rash of injuries aren't a root cause? I guarantee if we have only half the injuries, we might be in the SB.

Just have to hope next years injuries aren't as derailing as this years.

Belichick did anticipate that the RBs would have issues, which is why he made sure he had three quality ones. I'd say it worked out.

We can agree to disagree. I'm not going to make excuses for this team anymore - every year it's the same thing. Injury to gronk, injury to talib, another injury to gronk and talib....whatever.

Broncos lost two of their best defensive players in harris and miller. There's no reason why mcdaniels and brady couldn't get it done on offense. You want to blame the oline? They seem to do ok against a bills and ravens team with a better pass rush. They were simply outcoached and outplayed.

well then, go ahead an say what it is you obviously have on your mind. If every year "it's the same thing" then obviously YOU hate the coaching staff and want a new one.

OK...from the top down...state for the record the NEW head coach YOU want, D co-ordinator, O co-ordinator and so forth. Don't just drop these half assed "hint" posts.Obviously if you're so sick of everybody YOU have answers. Post them.

I can't even begin to understand how you could write there's no reason the Patriots couldn't get it done on O.

Compare the two offenses (exclude the running games as even):

D Thomas
J Thomas
Welker
Decker
Caldwell
Tamme

vs.

Edelman
Amendola
Hobbled Dobson
Slater
Collie
Hooman
Mulligan

This is a night and day difference. And yes, the Broncos were hobbled on defense with injuries. ON DEFENSE. Unfortunately, their replacements were more than adequate in stopping a Patriots popgun offense.

Heck, what more did you want to see than Tony Carter, a Patriots cut, defending a perfectly thrown ball to Matthew Slater? The replacement for Chris Harris was much better than our WR.

That says it all.

Beyond that, the Patriots actually lost one more key player than the Broncos 4 defensive losses. Wilfork, Kelly, Spikes, Mayo, Talib were just too much compared to V Miller, Vickerson, Moore and Harris.

BB screwed up on obvious things, again. It's become an all too familiar refrain. Hopefully, he'll get it right this time.

What 'obvious things' are you talking about?

I don't know about you guys, but unless we get Calvin Johnson and Jimmy Graham I do not want the patriots to unload on players. I do not wish to spend the next 10 years after Brady watching a dismal patriots team. They need to get one playmaker on offense and hope that the injury bug doesn't affect us next season as much as it did this season. That gives us hope for next season and for the future.

He [Anquan Boldin] said last year he would retire than sign with the pats. Doubt he even thinks about coming here.

Pity; his size, experience, toughness & reliability are exactly what this WR group needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes