PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Ultimate Brady vs Rodgers thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the kind of deeper dig I can appreciate.

Thank you for reminding me to finish my QB comparison across eras. I can't recall off the top of my head the exact numbers, but adjusting for how the game was played in TFB's early career, his career numbers compare favorably to Aaron Rodgers.

For example, back when Brady played in 2002, his 28 TDs led the NFL that year. Think about that...a different game.

Stats are for losers. The rings are the thing.

It's not even close which is better. We have eyes.

As a player, as a human being, as leader, as a father, as a face of the league, ....
Is there really a discussion here?

For a lot of the reasons that people use to elevate Rogers, are many of the reasons people used to discredit TB.

Rogers is a great QB. But Brady gets "IT ALL DONE!!!". He is the GOAT.
And will be for a long time.

It's just a reach

Depends on how far away the team is from a title. If it's a year or two, I take Brady. If I'm looking at any longer than that, I'd have to think about it. Or, to put it another way,

Assume we're talking about perfect clones rather than the players themselves, so that it doesn't impact the competition.

If you're a contender this year (say, ATL, KC, PIT, just as examples), and your QB goes down, is there a chance in hell that you're signing CloneRodgers over CloneBrady?
Yah good points. As usual I was just talking out of ye olde asse.

Yah good points. As usual I was just talking out of ye olde asse.

Nah... good stuff on your part, too. It's an interesting question, overall.

Trading Brady for Rodgers?

Brady has mastered the Erhardt-Perkins offense. Rodgers has mastered the West Coast offense.

That would be like trading a Chinese teacher for a French one. One sips green tea and squats to take a dump while the other sips wine and uses a bidet. It just wouldn't be a smooth transition.

I wish I had a bidet. Those things are awesome!

That being said, I constantly roll my eyes @ opposing fans who says Brady wouldn't be as good in another system. Of course he wouldn't, he's already playing in the best system to maximize his best attributes. Why would he want to play in another system?

I start disagreeing with you in the very second word of your title. The word ultimate means last as well as greatest. I very very very much doubt that this will be the last thread on this particular subject.

I think when many casual fans compare the two they see much more sizzle in Rogers play and that translates to "more talented" or even "better" in some minds. They could not be more wrong.

Brady is methodical, precise and uses his knowledge just as much if not more than his physical abilities. When the Pats are at their best he is getting the ball out under 2 seconds and using his mastery of coverages to identify the open receiver, get him the ball quickly so he can maximize the play and move on to the next one.

Rogers is best known for chaos. The planned roll out or him evading the pass rush and hitting the WR who got free on a broken play is his bread and butter. Have never seen anyone take advantage of an offsides the way he does. His style is school yard and when the defense is on its heels very hard to stop. He is a good athlete with a very strong arm and regularly makes throws on the run making him extremely effective.

Theses differences are why Brady is much more clutch. The coolness under pressure and the demands of his pass catchers to be on the same page is why they can score 31 straight points in a Super Bowl. Precision trumps chaos. Expecting consistent success with the broken play approach will inevitably fail when the pressure is at its highest. The clutch stats mentioned earlier are not a coincidence.

Last edited:
Why do these threads exist, especially on our own forum?

Beyond insecure.

One quarterback is the GOAT, the other is Erin Rodgers.

I wish I had a bidet. Those things are awesome!

That being said, I constantly roll my eyes @ opposing fans who says Brady wouldn't be as good in another system. Of course he wouldn't, he's already playing in the best system to maximize his best attributes. Why would he want to play in another system?

Yeah I don't see Aaron Rodgers switching to an Erhardt Perkins system either. The biggest difference between the EP and the West Coast offenses is how they communicate the play. Just about every play used in one offensive system can be used in the other system but one would use "Gin, Hut" to call a specific play while the other would use "Brown Right, Z in, Y hook, 2 Jet....". The EP focuses on the play concept while the WC focuses on player assignments. The EP is tougher to learn but once learned it's easier to communicate and much more flexible especially at the line of scrimmage which is advantageous in the hurry up offense.

Btw, it would not surprise me if AR has said, "Just go out and get open and I'll run around back here and then throw it to you" in the huddle. :)

That's the gist of what I've been reading lately. I might be a little off.

Btw, it would not surprise me if AR has said, "Just go out and get open and I'll run around back here and then throw it to you" in the huddle. :)

That's the gist of what I've been reading lately. I might be a little off.

He has indeed said that!

Just take a look at the back to back playoff performances of Rogers and then Brady against Seattle in the 2014 playoff/Super Bowl. I'll take Brady all day. :)

Brady had more yards against Atlanta in SB 51 (466 yards) than Rodgers did in both Seattle & Atlanta NFC Championship games combined (465 yards).

Sure, SB 51 went to overtime... for 1 drive. Plus it's worth noting that 168 of those Rodgers yards came after garbage time started (after ATL made it 31-0).

Rogers is a great QB but he's not even close to Brady's level of greatness historically.

**** Erin Double Dork

The only advantage that I see from my big comfy couch is that Rodgers is better at scrambling than #12... other than that any comparison statistically is lame..

Here is one stat that is telling..
# 4th Quarter comebacks...
Brady 40 4th quarter comebacks
Rodgers 11 4th quarter comebacks

Then there is the ridiculous stat about how if the Pats are winning when leading at the half at home, the last number I can find was 72 consecutive in 2015... imagine it is even more impressive now.

It is all about winning and the number of rings..

How on Earth are any Pats fans still insecure enough to lend any credibility to this argument? Any time I hear, "Who's the GOAT, Brady or X?" I laugh loudly and go about my day.

Like Fivehead, it just never seems to come together for Rodgers. He puts up gaudy stats and then flops once the playoffs start. Brady's had his share of playoff stinkbombs, but he also has five championships. In the CAR/SEA Super Bowls, it was all about the passing game. 48 and 50 passes, nearly 700 yards, and 7 touchdowns.

Manning and Rodgers just can't carry a team like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back