PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Ultimate Brady vs Rodgers thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
This has been done before but not by me. Time to make the donuts!

Most people agree Brady is better than Rodgers. Some still hold out that Rodgers is the superior player who is just on a worse team. So I will start off my trying to eliminate my own bias (not entirely possible) and look at it objectively from a statistical and on the field perspective fairly.

Stat argument.

Rodgers has better stats than Brady. On the surface that is a win for Rodgers but we must look at it fairly and objectively as possible. To do this we can only compare them when both were in the league at the same time playing under the same rules. Also we should only look at them when both were relatively healthy. So which year to start at? Both were in during 2009 but this is not a fair start point. Brady was coming back from an ACL and was clearly not the same player he was during this year. To use it would give Brady an unfair disadvantage from a stat perspective so lets look at 2010 to now, (just regular season)

- Brady 2010 to now. 111 games. 2643 comp 4116 att. 64.2% 31830 (286.8YPG) 239 TDs (1 every 17.2 passes ) 53 Int (1 every 77.7 passes) 4.51 TD/Int Ration 101.8 passer rating.

- Rodgers 2010 to now. 107 games. 2415 comp 3681 att 65.6% 29172 (272.6YPG) 248 TDs (1 every 14.8 passes) 54 Ints (1 every 68.2 passes 4.59TD/Int ratio 106.1 passer rating

Rodgers appears to win the stat argument. Lets see how that lines up with other things.

- Since 2010 the Patriots offense has scored in the games Brady played in 3424 points in 111 games. This is 30.85 PPG. (I am not going through each game to look at STs and D scores. I will assume they about average each other out).

- Since 2010 the Packers offense has scored in the games Rodgers played in 2962 points in 107 games. This is 27.68 PPG.

This makes no sense. If Rodgers has the better stats why does his team score less? Shouldn't it be the superior offense? Instead Brady scores over 4 PPG more.

The biggest part of the reason is probably how each team scored. The Pats run for TDs more than the packers. Since 2010-2016 the Pats have ran for 127 TDs and the Packers have ran for 86 TDs. I can't really use this season since GB is currently 1 game ahead (though the Pats are ahead 4 to 3). So the Pats have 41 more TDs rushed in over 7 years. That is nearly 6 more per year. Rodgers biggest statistical advantage on Brady has always been he passes for more TDs but he doesn't lead his team to more TDs. This looks even worse when you consider they are probably more likely to run TDs in in games when Rodgers didn't play.

One is only left to conclude then the statistical superiority Rodgers has over Brady is artificailly inflated mostly due to the way each team scores TDs. If at the same ratio it would no doubt be a near wash.

Players around them.

Another thing we should look at is the cast each has had. It is clear to me both have played with star players over their career and made them better but since 2010 who has had the most offensive help?

Brady got to play a little with Randy Moss but he wasn't the same player then and it was only a few games. Other notable WRs he has had since 2010 are Wes Welker, Julien Edelman, Brandon Lafell Amendola, Hogan and very recently Cooks. He has also had Hernandez and Gronk at TE of course but Hernandez was often injured and so was Gronk. His RBs have been so-so but a few were good pass catchers. It is clear on the whole Brady has had good weapons.

Rodgers has gotten to play with Nelson who while he has missed some time has missed less than Gronk as well as Cobb, Jones, Jennings, Adams. They are a very good group headlined by Nelson who has been a true star for the past 6+ years. Also Lacy when on his game was the best RB either team has had in this stretch.

It is fair to say at the very least year in and year out the cast have not been too much different. Rodgers had a bad cast in 2015 just as Brady in 2013. Personally I think Brady's was worse being so many rookies. Both of their key players have missed time (Gronk and Nelson) but Gronk has missed more and been ineffective more on the whole. Personally I give a slight nod to Rodgers having better players but this isn't like Manning vs Brady pre 2006 when it was incredibly clear who had the better cast. It does bring up the question though if the cast and environments they play in are pretty equal then why the scoring gap?

Playoffs

Since 2010 Brady has been to 3 superbowls and won 2. Rodgers has been to 1 super bowl and won 1. Rodgers has a record of 9-6 and Brady has a record of 11-5 in the post season. In those games Brady has lead his team to 29.75 PPG. Rodgers has lead his team to 27.46 PPG.

In those games Rodgers has 32 TDs 9 Ints. Brady has 35 TDs 16 Ints. The difference in interceptions in the post season is a good reason to argue Rodgers has been a better post season QB. But then why only 1 SB appearence and win vs Brady's 2 out of 3?

Part of it is cause Brady has had a better D but also he has outscored Rodgers in these games so even though his stats are not as pretty part of that is due to again GB preferring to pass TDs. Another is Brady has faced tougher teams. The Pats playoffs have generally started in the final 8. GB has generally started the wildcard. In those wildcard games Rodgers has posted 11 TDs 0 Ints. In Brady's three WC games (yes he has been in only 3) he has 7 TDs 3 Ints. He went 5 TDs 0 Ints in 2005 and 2006 and had a bad game against Baltimore in 2009 (2010 playoffs) when he had 2 TDs 3 Ints. Baltimore back then always gave the Pats a hard time though. Generally the WC games have been easy for both QBs though and routine stat padding besides the single anomaly.

This suggest to me maybe another part of Rodger's superior post season stats is he got to beat up on lesser teams more often in the playoffs.

Worth noting if you start both in the divisional round Rodgers is 21 TDs 9 Ints and 5-5 to Brady 35 TDs and 16 ints and 11-5, Rodgers PPG go down only slightly and it is not statically relevant.

While this is not an exercise to try to tear down Rodger's well earn playoff stats it is worth noting he he has benefited statistically from getting easier games than Brady in this time period.

Of course there are the comebacks to mention but that has been talked about to death and we all know how impressive Brady has been there and how unimpressive Rodgers has been.

Conclusion: The stats are not much different when put side by side in proper context but Brady scores more and does it arguably with less. He has won more games and gone deeper and clearly there is something he is doing on the offensive side of the ball better than Rodgers.

Taking wins and championships and everything else out of it... Brady has lead better offenses than Rodgers and lead his team to more points and points in key situations more often. Even judging without talking about wins too much one should conclude Brady is better.

Last edited:
Good post and nice convo. That being said, judging from last night Packer-Bears game thread, there are a lot of posters here as touchy on the subject as they used to be about Peyton Manning.

Sometimes, our fanbase can be a bit "Beauty Pageant Mom" about this. :eek:

Good post and nice convo. That being said, judging from last night Packer-Bears game thread, there are a lot of posters here as touchy on the subject as they used to be about Peyton Manning.

Sometimes, our fanbase can be a bit "Beauty Pageant Mom" about this. :eek:

I just this it is interesting. I only hope I brought something up people didn't know before If not it was a waste of time.

Tom threw 3 picks and had a fumble in the 2010 WC game against Baltimore (after 2009 season). I know you were looking at 2010-present, but you reference that Tom only played in a WC game in 2006.

I just this it is interesting. I only hope I brought something up people didn't know before If not it was a waste of time.

Thanks. I forgot that was WC. I thought it was divisional. I'll change it.

No, it was an excellent post and very informative. Thank you for that!

It was much more helpful than the usual - - "He sucks and has a big forehead" catty stuff that sometimes gets thrown out there.

They're both awesome. Considering their ages and not considering sentimentality, would you trade Brady for Rodgers straight up today?

Or how about this: which would a third team prefer to trade for?

They're both awesome. Considering their ages and not considering sentimentality, would you trade Brady for Rodgers straight up today?

As they sare today, I would think teams with good coaching staff with smart personalle (llike Andy Reid, Pete Caroll etc.) prefer Brady over Rodgers given his experience in playoffs and football smarts. Teams like 49ers, Jets, Browns who invest in big name players would go for Rodgers.
That's just my opinion.

Sentimentality aside I would trade Rodgers for Brady today. The 2nd best QB right now for maybe 7 years vs the best for maybe 3-4? The difference is small enough it is a hard yes imo unless you believe Brady can play more like 4-5 and/or you believe Rodger's body will fail him soon (I don't). He is more dependent on physical gifts than Brady but doesn't have much tread on the tires relative to his age cause he started late so like Young and Staubach he can probably be effective at least till near 40.

What it comes down to it is a consideration of a term I would call greatness potency.

For instance HOF QBs have won about 75% of all superbowls.
All other QBs have won about 25% most of them good at least but some just okay and bad.

However when it comes to HOF QBs though you have guys like Bradshaw/Aikman who have won a bunch who are not considered the elite of the elite but generally the best of the best QBs win more. It is no coincidence maybe the top 2 QBs ever have 9 SB victories between them.

Also it is no coincident some of the lesser HOF QBs have generally just 1 or none when it comes to SB championships. If I were to try to break it down in a mathematically it would look like this.

Bad QBs win a SB one every 10,000 seasons they play (guess)
Okay QBs win a SB one every 1,000 seasons they play (guess)
Good franchise QBs win a SB one every 75 seasons they play (This I have some mathematical basis on... This is guys like Eli Manning/Flacco who can get hot sometimes or Russel Wilson who is consistently fairly decent year in year out but not truly special too often)
HOF QBs on average win a super bowl once every 10 seasons they play (This i have math on)

That is as far as I have gone however It is clear there is a pyramid effect of some kind taking place and the better a QB is the more he tends to win and each tic up is a good jump.

If I were to make a list of the top HOF QBs who belong in a tier of their own I would say for sure Brady/Montana/Unitas/Staubach (for guys who played in the SB era.. maybe others but these 4 I feel for sure).

Brady in 15 true seasons won 5 (1/3)
Montana in 11 true seasons won 4 (slightly over 1/3)
Staubach in 8 true seasons 2 won (1/4)
Unitas in 4 true seasons 1 win (1/4)

(FYI a true season is one you were healthy for a large part and were able to play in the playoffs assuming you got there and is in the super bowl era).

So it seems clear to me an elite HOF QB should win instead of once every 10 years more like once every 3 or 4 as crazy as that sounds.

If I believe Brady is in this class and I do (indeed the top of it) then the question is where do you judge rodgers among other HOFers.

If a top tier HOF like Brady will win you one title every 3-4 years and an average HOF will win you a top title once every 10 years (maybe less) then if Rodgers is just an average HOF he would need to play 10 or more years to Brady's projected 3-4 to give you equal odds to win a championship.

He likely won't play 10 more years with his style. On the other hand if you believe Rodgers is better than the average HOF QB and his odds are better than 1 in 10 then it comes down to if how much better you believe he is than average. He would certainly need to be a top 10 all time QB and probably higher than 10 or 9 to give you the same or better odds. I think he probably is so I would make the trade thinking Brady will average one where Rodgers may fetch you 2 or at least 1 more before he is done.

However this is all kind of off topic now :p

Last edited:
Brady is the GOAT, everyone else is playing for second.

With that Aaron Rodgers is an awesome QB. I think a more compelling argument is Rodgers v Peyton Manning. I'll take Rodgers everyday.

The problem with using passing statistics to rate a player is that, as soon as they are inevitably surpassed, their all-time ranking is going to plummet. That’s why Fouts, Marino, Young, and Favre were all in the conversation of GOAT when they retired, but they’ve since been leaprogged many times over. Just wait until Manning’s records are broken and watch how historically irrelevant he becomes. Championships are the gold currency that withstands the test of time.

I don’t think Rodgers has a will to win like Brady. He does not have the same leadership skills.

Trading Brady for Rodgers?

Brady has mastered the Erhardt-Perkins offense. Rodgers has mastered the West Coast offense.

That would be like trading a Chinese teacher for a French one. One sips green tea and squats to take a dump while the other sips wine and uses a bidet. It just wouldn't be a smooth transition.

This shouldn't even be a debate. It's ridiculous how forced it's becoming. It seems to stem more from people desperately trying to discredit Brady rather than actually being major proponents of Rodgers. Especially now that Manning is no longer in the league; they need a Brady "rival" to cling to. Most notably the media, who need the narrative. The gimmicky nonchalant awkward/on the move/sidearm throws, free play crap and flukey hail mary plays from Rodgers are things that easily impress the casual football fan.

The comparison between these two QBs is a blowout when you look at every single clutch or comeback metric there is. Not to mention every single playoff statistic. I continue to laugh out loud every time I see Rodgers' statistics in those areas. Perhaps even funnier are the excuses that are made for him. There was a statistic about him being 0-36 when trailing by 1 or more point in the 4th quarter to teams with a winning record, and I saw one of the top comments on that cesspool website, reddit, claiming that "Oh, well he rarely trails anyway" --- Huh? The statistic indicates that he has trailed 36 times in that very scenario. Never mind the times which I'm sure he has trailed (and lost) to to teams like the Vikings or Lions who aren't included since they've finished many recent seasons with a losing record.

Brady routinely takes late round, undrafted guys & other teams' cast-offs, and turns them into major contributors. Mainly WRs. (See: Edelman, Givens, Caldwell, Amendola, Patten, Hogan, Lafell) This is impressive in its own right, but also helps the Pats spend higher draft picks on other areas of the team, most notably defense.

Meanwhile, Rodgers seems utterly incapable of doing that. There's not one player. Nelson, Cobb, Jennings, Adams, Jones, Lacy, Montgomery, Finley, R Rodgers -- all top 100 draft picks taken within the first 3 rounds. Those are the main skill position players who've been atop the depth chart throughout his career. Donald Driver is the lone exception - who was a leftover from the Favre era.

Depends on how far away the team is from a title. If it's a year or two, I take Brady. If I'm looking at any longer than that, I'd have to think about it. Or, to put it another way,

Assume we're talking about perfect clones rather than the players themselves, so that it doesn't impact the competition.

If you're a contender this year (say, ATL, KC, PIT, just as examples), and your QB goes down, is there a chance in hell that you're signing CloneRodgers over CloneBrady?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back