PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Thoughts: No Brady, No Gronk, No Nink, No Solder, No Problem Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good post

You might want to revisit the numbers on Lewis v White as they are practically identical on the number of targets, catches, catch %, yards, etc.

Maybe I am thinking the last five or six games or something. Either way, I think he is still the better receiver while Lewis is the better overall RB.

In the postgame Bill said that he was thinking they would line up to kick quickly and decided to call the time out when he saw that they were going to let the play clock run down first.

If Bill is thinking that, I have more problem with Belichick's thinking on that play. Unless he thought Arians was just an idiot with his time management since he wasted his timeouts so early, he had to think that Arians was going to let the clock run down as much as possible so that the Pats have no time to go down and get a field goal.

Just a thought on Jimmy G. What if a team calls week 5? I mean After this year he has only 1 more year left so it is possible a team calls earlier to get a look at him and decide if they think he is the guy and if so have him for over 1.5 years as opposed to 1,

That is a possibility too. I would still Trade Jimmy G week 5 if the right offer comes but it would be worth more and now that we know he is a reliable back up for Brady at that point do we take the risk moving him in the year?

yeah, i'm just thinking that good QBs are hard to find - hoyer, cassel and Mallett were not that good. I mean if Jimmy G is the next Aaron Rodgers, why trade him? The other issue is Jimmy G does not seem like the type of guy who would want to sit around and wait for TB to retire. It's clear he wants to take control of this team - that's just his competitive nature. I can't blame him, it's exactly what TB did to DB 15 years ago.
Haha Aaron Rodgers? I like JimmyG but he's nowhere near as athletic as Rodgers and doesn't have anywhere near as strong an arm.

My only qualm with Bil (and it's a tiny one)l is that I'd have preferred to see Foster on the game roster than Bolden. But that's because I want to see what the kid can do. I think he's must more dynamic and explosive than any of the other RBs not named Lewis and I think his versatility in the running and passing games makes him much harder to defend against.

Maybe I am thinking the last five or six games or something. Either way, I think he is still the better receiver while Lewis is the better overall RB.
Make no mistake, White was outstanding last year. He might be a little smoother in the open field after the catch but at least statistically there are virtually even.

He had some clutch catches last night. He played great.

Just a thought on Jimmy G. What if a team calls week 5? I mean After this year he has only 1 more year left so it is possible a team calls earlier to get a look at him and decide if they think he is the guy and if so have him for over 1.5 years as opposed to 1,

That is a possibility too. I would still Trade Jimmy G week 5 if the right offer comes but it would be worth more and now that we know he is a reliable back up for Brady at that point do we take the risk moving him in the year?

The team would really have overpay for him to trade him in the season because the Pats would be worsening the draft pick compensation by helping the team improve this season. So say they trade him to the 49ers and the 49ers are destined to get a top 1-2 pick without Garoppolo, but adding Garoppolo makes the 49ers good enough that the pick drop to the 10th pick. The Patriots hurt their trade compensation by improving a team in this season.

My only qualm with Bil (and it's a tiny one)l is that I'd have preferred to see Foster on the game roster than Bolden. But that's because I want to see what the kid can do. I think he's must more dynamic and explosive than any of the other RBs not named Lewis and I think his versatility in the running and passing games makes him much harder to defend against.

Yea i'm kinda done seeing Bolden run the football. I think the muffed handoff was both their faults but as a runner he gives the team nothing whereas I think Foster can do better.

Dion Lewis is just as good if not a better receiver than James White.

The team would really have overpay for him to trade him in the season because the Pats would be worsening the draft pick compensation by helping the team improve this season. So say they trade him to the 49ers and the 49ers are destined to get a top 1-2 pick without Garoppolo, but adding Garoppolo makes the 49ers good enough that the pick drop to the 10th pick. The Patriots hurt their trade compensation by improving a team in this season.

who are the top QB prospects coming out of college next spring?

that's what I thought.........if he goes 4-0 and looks the part, he will fetch substantial loot......more than a top 1st rounder, I believe

as for during the season? good question.......I could see it done for the right price.......the teams hunting for him would seem to be more of the playoff quality with a crappy QB type of team so the 1st rounder would be middle of the 1st at best......which would mean that there would have to be a 2018 1st rounder as well as a middle round pick involved as well

I'm still worried about the capabilities of a 39 year old diminishing overnight......one shoulder tweak is all it takes

A first time starter in a hostile environment. I can see why Belichick decided to sit on the ball before the half, but I would have preferred they let Garoppolo run the two minute offense.
I think it may have something to do with the earlier sack-and-fumble. If that didn't happen and we were still up by 10 points the margin would've been bigger to try something. As it was they probably didn't want risking Garoppolo making a mistake that would've completely taken him out of rythm.

James White has WR type catching abilities out of the backfield. He can actually go up and get a ball. He is definitely the teams best catching back, and I don't think this is really close. That doesn't mean he's the best run-after-the-catch back which goes to a pre-injury Lewis, but when it comes to hands and acrobatic moves, it's White hands down.

Haha Aaron Rodgers? I like JimmyG but he's nowhere near as athletic as Rodgers and doesn't have anywhere near as strong an arm.

How did that Noodle arm Brady turn out??? In the Bledsoe days Brady didn't throw like he throws now.

Garoppolo made some nice throws and had a very good touch on the deeper stuff, but I don't think people should get this high on him yet. Remember that defensive coaches have a very little amount of actual game film to use on him right now. That said, he played very well and did a good job keeping his eyes downfield even when pressure was in his face. I would have loved to have seen the coaching staff put more trust in him just before the half and let him run the two minute offense.

One more thing I hope those two plays McDaniels have scripted for Bradon Bolden gets taken out our Playbook enough is enough...I want Bolden relegated to ST's exclusively!

Dion Lewis is just as good if not a better receiver than James White.

He's also the bigger threat to take short dump offs for six than White is.

Rob I don't think White is necessarily better than Dion Lewis, but based on Durability he does have alot more film to go on. Lewis is a more Explosive player but a Fragile one at that.:(

Garoppolo made some nice throws and had a very good touch on the deeper stuff, but I don't think people should get this high on him yet. Remember that defensive coaches have a very little amount of actual game film to use on him right now. That said, he played very well and did a good job keeping his eyes downfield even when pressure was in his face. I would have loved to have seen the coaching staff put more trust in him just before the half and let him run the two minute offense.

Well, the good news for trade bait and him winning games is that teams still won't have much film on him in the next few weeks.

Miami is coming from Seattle and then having to fly up here. So they won't have as much time as normal to break down film this week.

The Texans are playing the Pats on a Thursday and teams usually have a hard time game planning for a QB they have an extensive book on for these Thursday night games.

And Garoppolo's last game is against Rob Ryan and I don't know if he knows how to game plan for QBs and just runs the same defense for every opposing offense.

I think Garopollo could be exposed by teams at some point, but the schedule over the next three weeks is favorable for them not figuring him out by the time Brady gets back.

I laughed at the Cardinals when the guy blasted the short kickoff into the stands. They effectively did -nothing- with those free 15 yards. If they pooch kick down to the 5-10 yardline, their coverage team would have been on top of the receiver by the time he caught the ball.

Yep. Would have been an interesting time for a surprise onsides, too. (But even from the 50 there's a lot of risk there. Which reminds me -- I still wish in the 2007 BAL game that NE had kicked onsides after Bart Scott's nutty.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes