PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some random sober thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
24 hours later, still feeling pumped up. But I'm sober now, and have so many thoughts on an amazing year.

- After some further consideration, this year's team is my favourite team. I'm a Brady fan, not a Boston guy. I grew up with him at Michigan, followed him to New England, and watched him grow up into the GOAT. I can understand and respect all of the New Englanders who watched this team for decades wanting to put the 2001 team ahead of this one. Totally get that. But after all Tom has been through, this is my favourite championship by far.

- One of my fav things about this year's team was the redemption of so many whipping boys. Chung was banished, but has come back to be a key starter. McCourty struggled as a corner, now he's our Pro Bowl safety. Logan Ryan got beat up quite a bit but played his best ball in the postseason. Dola's contract made him an easy target early, but he became one of Brady's trusted targets late. Lots of calls for Cannon to be cut, but he was All Pro this season. James White, what a game for a guy some thought would be cut. Blount had a ton of TDs and won everyone's respect early in the year for his hard running.

- **** Arthur Blank. So many people say they felt bad for him, but maybe his dumb ass shouldn't have gone down to the sideline early to celebrate. He got exactly what he deserved.

- If I have two minor regrets about this year, they're both Ravens-related, and both childish as ****. But I wish BB trolled the Ravens by running the "deception" play against them. Harbawl cried for months about how it was illegal and the league changed the rule, which "proved" his point. The league merely changed the number range that could be used. The Patriots would run it a week later against the Broncos using Shea McClellin. "Study the rule book" Harbawl.

- The other is the end of the Ravens game. Two weeks prior, the Ravens led the Bengals by 7 with 11 seconds to go, and ran a play on 4th down where they intentionally held every Bengal on the field for time to expire before taking a safety to end the game. Well the Patriots were up 7 with 13 seconds to go on 4th down, and imagine Harbawl's *****ing and crying if we had run the exact same play against him. It would have been epic fat tears.

- The Texans shutout in week 3 might have been one of my fav non-Brady Patriots games. Really like Brissett and think he's got the intangibles to be a good QB. His work with getting Floyd up to speed was also great.

- I think Hightower either gets franchised or leaves. With his injury history, BB is not going to give him a huge deal, or else it will come with lots of protection clauses. High seemed to take the Collins trade a bit personally, and brought it up several times. I wouldn't be surprised if he got the tag.

- I think Marty is gone. He's going to want to get paid, and as an over-30 TE, he won't get that deal here. I'm okay with this though. He reminds me a bit of Moss, all-in...for a while. Could sour quickly.

- Everyone bashed our D, but they proved to be elite, helping keep a historic Falcons offense in check. Meanwhile, everyone bashed that Falcons D too, but they were very good until they ran out of gas. They finished the season 27th in D, but were 20th in the second half of the season I think, and got even better in the play-offs. Just further proof that it doesn't matter what you do to start the season, but how you finish.

- In any great comeback, you need help. The Falcons really botched up so many different plays, it's been talked about ad nauseum. But the most incredible thing is that after they took a 25-point lead, they ran the ball only 4 times for 10 yards. I mean, if they just run the ball a few more times, they are the champions, forget all the other mistakes.

- And you need a bit of luck. On the game-winning TD, White looked like he should have been down but he powered his way to the end zone, which many people said he couldn't do. But on the other hand, did anyone else notice a pretty significant hold on Cannon?

td_swry6u.gif

None of the Falcons seemed upset, and I'm not complaining mind you. But that looks like a missed call. The missed facemask on Logan Ryan also would have offset the holding penalty.

Then again, there were some clear ridiculous holds on Patriots DL throughout the game so I make no apologies.

- The Falcons didn't give us the game though. They just didn't close the door. Tom still had to put up a miracle finish to take advantage of the opportunity.

- And really, that's the difference between the two teams, and why we were favourites. Atlanta had to play a perfect game to win, and they almost did play that perfect game. The Patriots could bring their B or C-game and still have a chance, and we did. Lose the turnover battle, go down big early, get gashed in the run game, give up a defensive TD...if any of those things happened to Atlanta, this game would be a blowout. All of those things happen to us and we still win.

- Which is why it was clear that BB loved this team too. His speech after the Broncos game, his comments during media week, he enjoyed working with this group of guys. And we are spoiled to get to enjoy this season.

- As BB said, we're 5 weeks behind everyone else in getting ready for 2017. But one more day to enjoy the parade.

Random thoughts to add:

Major performances by all of the top receiving options. Edelman, Amendola, Mitchell, Bennett, Hogan, White. Amazing to see a team effort like that.

Hightower and McCourty really stood out on defense for me, as did Flowers. It will be great to add a handful of key pieces through the draft and free agency, while also attempting to retain another handful of our own.

None of the Falcons seemed upset, and I'm not complaining mind you. But that looks like a missed call. The missed facemask on Logan Ryan also would have offset the holding penalty.

I don't really see a hold with Cannon as much as a normal running block. He came close for it to be from the side/behind but don't really see anything that requires a flag there.

If you wanna call the facemask that Ryan had on Sanu then you would also need to call at the same time Sanu with a facemask on Ryan. I think it was a great offsetting non-call.

Random thought (does this happen to anyone else?):

I've got a Gaga song stuck in my head that I will now forever associate with this win. I kind of hate it but kind of like it...This happened with Katy Perry too o_O

Heard about a missed chop block on a screen to White a few plays before too. Don't know if it really was one, but that would have changed a lot of things.

I think the "hold" on Cannon is close.

The facemasks should have been called both. That would have offset the holding penalty on the Falcons too, if I understand correctly, but I'll gladly take it they weren't called!

- The Falcons didn't give us the game though. They just didn't close the door. Tom still had to put up a miracle finish to take advantage of the opportunity.
Perfect. They didnt close the door.

Random thought (does this happen to anyone else?):

I've got a Gaga song stuck in my head that I will now forever associate with this win. I kind of hate it but kind of like it...This happened with Katy Perry too o_O

Yeah, I'd say that's pretty common. I remember U2's Beautiful Day from 2001. And every time I hear Katy Perry's Roar, I think about 2014. Which I never thought I would say.

The lyrics really related to how we were all feeling over the deflated ball allegations too.

I used to bite my tongue and hold my breath
Scared to rock the boat and make a mess
So I sat quietly, agreed politely
I guess that I forgot I had a choice
I let you push me past the breaking point
I stood for nothing, so I fell for everything
You held me down, but I got up (hey!)
Already brushing off the dust
You hear my voice, your hear that sound
Like thunder, gonna shake your ground
You held me down, but I got up
Get ready 'cause I've had enough
I see it all, I see it now
I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter
Dancing through the fire
'Cause I am the champion, and you're gonna hear me roar
Louder, louder than a lion
'Cause I am a champion, and you're gonna hear me roar!

Okay...now I feel embarrassed... :oops:

Heard about a missed chop block on a screen to White a few plays before too. Don't know if it really was one, but that would have changed a lot of things.

I think the "hold" on Cannon is close.

The facemasks should have been called both. That would have offset the holding penalty on the Falcons too, if I understand correctly, but I'll gladly take it they weren't called!

I don't really see a hold with Cannon as much as a normal running block. He came close for it to be from the side/behind but don't really see anything that requires a flag there.

If you wanna call the facemask that Ryan had on Sanu then you would also need to call at the same time Sanu with a facemask on Ryan. I think it was a great offsetting non-call.

Fair points by both of you. Overall, I thought the officiating was excellent. It seemed like they only called the most obvious stuff and left the borderline calls alone.

Random thought. The Brady brothers have more rings combined than the Manning brothers. And Brady doesn't have a brother.....
Youk and TB12 might have the highest bro in-law combo with 7. :p

I live in reality. Every second HAPPENS and becomes history.

that would have changed a lot of things. is a complete crock of fecal matter. Maybe the rest of you have some kind of alternate universe transporter...I don't. I'll stay right here in this universe enjoying the Patriots fifth Super Bowl victory.

shaq-mason-chop-block.jpg

This could have easily been called as Andrews seem to be shoving Jones while Shaq is cut blocking him around the same time. That being said I don't know if it really was blatant enough to be called in this situation. The Falcons DB were getting away with a lot of hand fighting throughout the game without PI/holding calls as well.

Obviously, I am biased but I think overall the refs did a good job on being consistent with playing it a bit loose for both teams.

Random thought. The Brady brothers have more rings combined than the Manning brothers. And Brady doesn't have a brother.....

Another funny way to put it:
Brady and his sister have more rings than the Manning brothers combined. :)

Another funny way to put it:
Brady and his sister have more rings than the Manning brothers combined. :)

Brady and the poop I just squeezed out have more rings than the Manning brothers, Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Donovan McNabb and Warren Moon combined.

Great post by the OP. Agree with most of it. I thought the White run was amazing as his history is going down at the first site of contact. Yet, here he seemed determined to get into the endzone.

The D was not perfect but when they had to be, they were. Honestly, any points in the 4th qrt and this game would have ended differently. Just pure determination and will.

And Julio Jones was exactly who I thought he was. Before this game, I watched the Falcons-Eagles game, the Seattle game and the GB game. And Jones for the most part caught everything that was even remotely close to him. He is the closest thing to early Minnesota- Moss I have ever seen. To cover him in such a way that only 4 passes were thrown to him all night is a major accomplishment. And honestly, I don't think Revis, Law or Sherman in their prime would have prevented those completions.

He does have a brother in law who has a World Series ring (Youk), actually 2 rings 2004, 2007...

EDIT Jimmy G now has as many rings as either Manning.....

Watching the White run in that gif again, boy, Malcolm Mitchell did some work on the that Falcons corner, and Shaq Mason can really roll for a guy his size.

24 hours later, still feeling pumped up. But I'm sober now, and have so many thoughts on an amazing year.

- After some further consideration, this year's team is my favourite team. I'm a Brady fan, not a Boston guy. I grew up with him at Michigan, followed him to New England, and watched him grow up into the GOAT. I can understand and respect all of the New Englanders who watched this team for decades wanting to put the 2001 team ahead of this one. Totally get that. But after all Tom has been through, this is my favourite championship by far.

- One of my fav things about this year's team was the redemption of so many whipping boys. Chung was banished, but has come back to be a key starter. McCourty struggled as a corner, now he's our Pro Bowl safety. Logan Ryan got beat up quite a bit but played his best ball in the postseason. Dola's contract made him an easy target early, but he became one of Brady's trusted targets late. Lots of calls for Cannon to be cut, but he was All Pro this season. James White, what a game for a guy some thought would be cut. Blount had a ton of TDs and won everyone's respect early in the year for his hard running.

- **** Arthur Blank. So many people say they felt bad for him, but maybe his dumb ass shouldn't have gone down to the sideline early to celebrate. He got exactly what he deserved.

- If I have two minor regrets about this year, they're both Ravens-related, and both childish as ****. But I wish BB trolled the Ravens by running the "deception" play against them. Harbawl cried for months about how it was illegal and the league changed the rule, which "proved" his point. The league merely changed the number range that could be used. The Patriots would run it a week later against the Broncos using Shea McClellin. "Study the rule book" Harbawl.

- The other is the end of the Ravens game. Two weeks prior, the Ravens led the Bengals by 7 with 11 seconds to go, and ran a play on 4th down where they intentionally held every Bengal on the field for time to expire before taking a safety to end the game. Well the Patriots were up 7 with 13 seconds to go on 4th down, and imagine Harbawl's *****ing and crying if we had run the exact same play against him. It would have been epic fat tears.

- The Texans shutout in week 3 might have been one of my fav non-Brady Patriots games. Really like Brissett and think he's got the intangibles to be a good QB. His work with getting Floyd up to speed was also great.

- I think Hightower either gets franchised or leaves. With his injury history, BB is not going to give him a huge deal, or else it will come with lots of protection clauses. High seemed to take the Collins trade a bit personally, and brought it up several times. I wouldn't be surprised if he got the tag.

- I think Marty is gone. He's going to want to get paid, and as an over-30 TE, he won't get that deal here. I'm okay with this though. He reminds me a bit of Moss, all-in...for a while. Could sour quickly.

- Everyone bashed our D, but they proved to be elite, helping keep a historic Falcons offense in check. Meanwhile, everyone bashed that Falcons D too, but they were very good until they ran out of gas. They finished the season 27th in D, but were 20th in the second half of the season I think, and got even better in the play-offs. Just further proof that it doesn't matter what you do to start the season, but how you finish.

- In any great comeback, you need help. The Falcons really botched up so many different plays, it's been talked about ad nauseum. But the most incredible thing is that after they took a 25-point lead, they ran the ball only 4 times for 10 yards. I mean, if they just run the ball a few more times, they are the champions, forget all the other mistakes.

- And you need a bit of luck. On the game-winning TD, White looked like he should have been down but he powered his way to the end zone, which many people said he couldn't do. But on the other hand, did anyone else notice a pretty significant hold on Cannon?

td_swry6u.gif

Then again, there were some clear ridiculous holds on Patriots DL throughout the game so I make no apologies.

- And really, that's the difference between the two teams, and why we were favourites. Atlanta had to play a perfect game to win, and they almost did play that perfect game. The Patriots could bring their B or C-game and still have a chance, and we did. Lose the turnover battle, go down big early, get gashed in the run game, give up a defensive TD...if any of those things happened to Atlanta, this game would be a blowout. All of those things happen to us and we still win.

- Which is why it was clear that BB loved this team too. His speech after the Broncos game, his comments during media week, he enjoyed working with this group of guys. And we are spoiled to get to enjoy this season.

- As BB said, we're 5 weeks behind everyone else in getting ready for 2017. But one more day to enjoy the parade.

Great post. Thanks. After seeing Brady for all these years I can understand why someone would follow him here. He really is that special. He just doesn't have 'it', he's the syrup that they use to make 'it'. I could go on forever about him.

This poll on Patsfans has most people picking this game as #1. I'm in the minority. I like the first one the most.

Poll: Where does 5th vs. ATL rank among Pats greatest SB victories?

Random thoughts to add:

Major performances by all of the top receiving options. Edelman, Amendola, Mitchell, Bennett, Hogan, White. Amazing to see a team effort like that.

Hightower and McCourty really stood out on defense for me, as did Flowers. It will be great to add a handful of key pieces through the draft and free agency, while also attempting to retain another handful of our own.
Yeah, I'd love a Calais Campbell / Whitney Mercilis type player next year..

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back