PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Ultimate Brady vs Rodgers thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy way to look at it take away the stats, the talent, everything and ask yourself if you had to win 1 game to save your life who would you pick? You're choosing Brady all the time

When you have to carry your team.

Regular season

50+ passing attempts

Rodgers: 1-3
Brady: 13-7

Post season

50+ passing attempts

Rodgers: has never attempted 50 passes he's 2-4 when throwing 40 or more.
Brady : 5-2 (All other QBs 3-28)

Record when team rushes for less than 60 yards 2012 forward

Brady 6-2, 3-1 in both regular season and playoffs.
Rogers 2-5, 2-5 regular season 0-0 in playoffs.

The fact is Brady can carry the team more than AR can.

Brady had more yards against Atlanta in SB 51 (466 yards) than Rodgers did in both Seattle & Atlanta NFC Championship games combined (465 yards).

Sure, SB 51 went to overtime... for 1 drive. Plus it's worth noting that 168 of those Rodgers yards came after garbage time started (after ATL made it 31-0).

And how many of Brady;s 466 yards came after garbage time started (after ATL made it 28-3):p

Aaron Rodgers is the most overrated QB in the NFL.

In 2011, his 15 - 1 team that was the clear juggernaut of the league got crushed at home in the divisional round by the 6 seed Giants.

In 2013, his team got crushed at home in the wild card by the Niners.

In 2014, he was repeatedly stifled in the red zone, losing an NFC championship game that he should have won in a blowout.

In 2015, he played a terrible divisional round game against Arizona save for two late hail Mary's.

In 2016, completely shut down in the first half of the championship game by Atlanta. His stats look ok because of garbage time drives.

Look, every great QB has had a cold stretch in the playoffs. But the best of the best - the Brady, Manning, Montana, Elway crowd either had periods of sustained dominance, or defining comebacks, or dominated in high profile head-to-head QB shootouts. Rodgers has none of these.

If I need to pull off a Hail Mary, I'll put in Rodgers over Brady. Guy has a lucky horseshoe up his butt on those plays.

Regards,
Chris

Yeah I don't see Aaron Rodgers switching to an Erhardt Perkins system either. The biggest difference between the EP and the West Coast offenses is how they communicate the play. Just about every play used in one offensive system can be used in the other system but one would use "Gin, Hut" to call a specific play while the other would use "Brown Right, Z in, Y hook, 2 Jet....". The EP focuses on the play concept while the WC focuses on player assignments. The EP is tougher to learn but once learned it's easier to communicate and much more flexible especially at the line of scrimmage which is advantageous in the hurry-up offense.

The Patriots have actually gone further than Erhardt-Perkins and established a bunch of one-word play calls that they can use. Typically they'll have six one-word play calls at their disposal during any game.

The Patriots have actually gone further than Erhardt-Perkins and established a bunch of one-word play calls that they can use. Typically they'll have six one-word play calls at their disposal during any game.

The first time I had ever heard anything like that was during the SuperBowl and Troy Aikmen mentioned something about every team having one emergency single word play call. He said it while Atlanta was bungling the last few seconds of the 4th quarter iirc.

But no I didn't know the Patriots had 6 of them.

One of my favorite one word calls was "Jordan Jordan " against the Ravens.

In 2014, he was repeatedly stifled in the red zone, losing an NFC championship game that he should have won in a blowout.

Wilson threw 4 ints and Seattle had 5 turnovers total. Even accounting for Seattles defense forcing 2 ints the Packers had a +3 turnover ratio.

Has Brady ever lost a game the Patriots had a +3 turnover ratio?

One thing to keep in mind when comparing the team outcomes is that Belichick totally outclasses McCarthy (and by way way more than the margin by which Brady is better than Rogers).

Rogers with Belichick would absolutely have done better than Rogers with McCarthy. McCarthy is a dunce.

Packers had a +5 turnover ratio and actually lost in 2014. What's that tell me? The QB couldn't do squat with his opportunities. I can guarantee a BB & TB led squad blow out an opponent in that scenario.

Rodgershascome up incredibly small in big playoff situations. Furthermore, his team got blown out in Denver a few years ago. Brady? He got abused, yet was a Gronk catch away from sending it to OT. How about comung back against the Legionnof Boom down by ten? What about making countless plays to comeback against Atlanta? Where's Rodgers signature come from behind win against a quality opponent? Some of TB's best work was dragging no name receivers like Hopkins, corpse of OchoStinko to Title games and SB's. Let's be blunt here: Edelman is a # 2 receiver at best without Brady. Amendola is nothing without TB.

I'll take Rodgers for fantasy points and unreal throws. I'll take Brady for actually watching my team win titles.

One thing to keep in mind when comparing the team outcomes is that Belichick totally outclasses McCarthy (and by way way more than the margin by which Brady is better than Rogers).

Rogers with Belichick would absolutely have done better than Rogers with McCarthy. McCarthy is a dunce.

This has always been an interesting tangent to the Brady vs BB value argument.

Sometimes I think we assume too much when making those type comparisons.

1. The Patriots run an Erhardt Perkins offense vs Green Bay's West Coast.

- I agree that Aaron would possibly do better under BB but what would be the dropoff from Brady's success? Even if BB had AR as a rookie do you think he would have achieved the same level of mastery as TB has? Would he have studied the offensive system day and night? Would he have studied game film looking for the match ups he wants to expose? I don't think so. So what would be the drop off from Brady to Aaron be if both had spent the same amount of time under BB? Ten percent? Or do you think it would have been identical?

- IF you decide that there would be some drop off between the two scenarios then how many SB's would the Patriots have had with AR?

Because if there is any drop off at all you might have only gotten SB 39 with Aaron because that's the only one in which they didn't need Brady being Brady. All the other ones were 3 points, or last second, or 10 point deficits or 25 record comebacks etc....

- We know about Aaron's dismal comeback record especially against winning teams and the world knows about Brady's comeback because some of them are just gut busting miracles. Is that ability taught or does that require a character trait? I don't think you can teach clutch.

Comebacks:

Brady - 40
Rodgers - 11

Game Winning Drives:

Brady - 52
Rodgers - 18

Yes I agree that Aaron would have had a better career under BB but we could also say McCarthy would have had a better career with Brady. But as far as AR vs Brady under BB goes I think it's a 2 SB's vs 5 SB's (+?) type of result..

Aaron Rodgers is the most overrated QB in the NFL.

In 2011, his 15 - 1 team that was the clear juggernaut of the league got crushed at home in the divisional round by the 6 seed Giants.

In 2013, his team got crushed at home in the wild card by the Niners.

In 2015, he played a terrible divisional round game against Arizona save for two late hail Mary's.

In 2016, completely shut down in the first half of the championship game by Atlanta. His stats look ok because of garbage time drives.

Look, every great QB has had a cold stretch in the playoffs. But the best of the best - the Brady, Manning, Montana, Elway crowd either had periods of sustained dominance, or defining comebacks, or dominated in high profile head-to-head QB shootouts. Rodgers has none of these.

I think Brady is the clear winner, but this post way oversimplifies things, to the point of error. For instance;

2011: The Giants won the super bowl so they clearly weren't your average #6 seed. The team was also devastated a few days before the game when Philbin's son died, which seemed to have an impact on the game.

2013: GB was at home, but SF was the better team by virtually every objective measure.

2014: This loss falls squarely on McCarthy. Rodgers was hurting and GB was dominating, so he went to a super conservative offense much too early. When Seattle finally took the lead and GB had to air it out, Rodgers marched right down the field for a game tying FG. There's also the matter of GB giving away a free TD on a fake FG when they should have conceded the 3 and only played the fake, and the onsides disaster at the end. Hard to blame Rodgers for either of those.

2016: Even introducing this one demonstrates a likely bias. There is simply no legitimate argument that Rodgers can be held responsible for a loss in Atlanta with that MASH unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back