PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thru week 6 Amendola has only proven his critics correct…

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure that anyone suggested Collie would be Amendola’s replacement, the only reason someone could come to that conclusion is because the only reason Austin Collie is even on this team right now is because Danny Amendola failed to remain healthy.

Collie was brought in 13 days ago when Amendola has played in live game action over the past 11 days, and was obviously expected to see the field for the first time in weeks prior to Collie even arriving. And for what it's worth, there was someone who stated that Collie was brought in due to Amendola's injury--actually you yourself are insinuating it here too, so that makes at least a couple/few posters.

The decision with signing Austin Collie had absolutely nothing to do with the health of Danny Amendola. Just the fact alone that some are insinuating the prospect of replacing an injury prone player with a significantly "more" injured player is practically silly, isn't it?

Boyce hasn't even been active since before Collie arrived here, and had only seen 5 targets in 4 games prior to finally being benched. If you don't think that those 2 are relative to each other, then I can respect that, but I feel quite differently.

Boyce's failures certainly weren't the "only" reason why Collie was brought in, we also needed additional depth and a guy who could recognize and pick up our offensive in a relatively short period of time due to having similarities where he had previously played. It was a no-brainer in my opinion, a very low risk/high reward situation, but the lack of Boyce being able to contribute was likely one aspect for the signing for sure. We also had Dobson and Thompkins as limited practice participants that week.

I don’t align it with Boyce and if it is shortsighted to discuss moving on from Amendola I cannot see how moving on from Boyce would be viewed as any different.

I think the reasoning for feeling that Boyce wasn't working out has been gone over many times, so there's no use beating a dead horse.

I couldn't imagine why you'd compare a cheap rookie contract in Boyce, with a very expensive 30 million dollar pact with Amendola? They actually couldn't be any different. We've moved on from players who were 4th round draft picks a million times over with almost no cap effect or major drawback aside from losing out on a mid round pick. When have you seen them move on from someone who would cost more to cut than to keep in terms of a major 30 million dollar contract? The 2 situations couldn't possibly be more different and they don't have any similarities whatsoever.

Amendola had experience in McDaniels' offense prior to even coming here and had 3/4 productive NFL seasons. Josh Boyce hasn't even been able to get the offensive system down, and hasn't even begun to earn Brady's trust yet. There are a ton of instances where a mid round pick at the position of WR is used as a first season red shirt, particularly in a complicated scheme such as this one.

If Boyce doesn't work out, no one will bat an eye and it will cost almost nothing at all. If Amendola doesn't work out it will be viewed as a monumental failure and will cost more to cut than keep him here. Why would you cut a player with obvious potential and experience in the system prior to waiting until you can save money by doing so? We aren't talking about a cheap young rookie here. We're talking about one of the more highly sought after free agent slot receivers in last year's free agency market.

The chances of having 3 rookie WR's contribute with a lot of production were slim and none to begin with, so we're actually doing very well with Thompkins and Dobson for 2013. Better than any previous season in terms of rookie WR production since Deion Branch, and even he only had 43 catches and 3-4 TD's throughout the whole year. Both Thompkins and Dobson should surpass that in 2013.

Boyce will be competing for reps next year. In the meantime, he'll be red shirted like we've seen other rookie WR's in the past. If he can pay attention in film study, run the proper routes in practice, and pick up the offensive scheme that would go a long way for him chances in 2014.

I do not think it is shortsighted to look at the options when moving away from Amendola

It certainly is when you take into account the salary cap ramifications, and the fact that it would cost much more to cut him that to keep him until at least 2015. That's the basic standard for "bigger/major" contracts. You have to get through the first couple of years until you see a cap savings. In the meantime the team basically assumes the risk in the first 2 (or so) years. It's normally the same for any kind of bigger, multi year deal. That's why you don't see many bigger named guys who are costing a lot get cut in the first year or two, unless there are enormous communications or character concern problems, etc.

Not only that, obviously Belichick felt comfortable in bringing him in to replace Welker, or he wouldn't have been courting him since the initial first hour of the "legal tampering" period that began on the Saturday morning prior to free agency.

Some here seem to be forgetting that Amendola has 3/4 productive seasons in the NFL. It's been 6 freaking games so far into a five year contract. Let's give the guy a chance for crying out loud. If we're at this point next season through the halfway or so point, then cutting Amendola can be a reasonable topic, but we have a long way to go before that.

In the meantime, the fact that Amendola is 27 yrs old has nothing at all to do with anything in my opinion. He is the usual and normal age for someone who's been in the league for 4 yrs. Let's not go grasping at straws and act like 27 is "old" for a player of his position.

The actual amount is over 2.3 million.
Current 2014 cap hit - $4.54375 million
If cut, $6.8 million.

Thank you Miguel. I responded to Deus Irae's post prior to seeing yours in the next page or two ahead.

As always, we all appreciate your up to date numbers and everything that you do to keep us all well informed.

In this instance, the fact that Amendola costs more than we even intially projected to outright cut in 2014 only proves the point even more than we are very unlikely to part with him prior to the 2015 season.

The actual amount is over 2.3 million.
Current 2014 cap hit - $4.54375 million
If cut, $6.8 million.

Thank you Miguel. I responded to Deus Irae's post prior to seeing yours in the next page or two ahead.

As always, we all appreciate your up to date numbers and everything that you do to keep us all well informed.

In this instance, the fact that Amendola costs more than we even intially projected to outright cut in 2014 only proves the point even more than we are very unlikely to part with him prior to the 2015 season.

I took the number straight from Miguel's page, and it's currently still reading the same...

Danny Amendola 2017 $3,000,000 $1,200,000 $343,750 $4,543,750 $4,800,000 $4,800,000 -$751,250

http://www.patscap.com/2014patscap.htmlhttp://www.patscap.com/2014patscap.html

The bolded is under "2014 Cap Savings if Cut or Traded".

FWIW, Jason has the "Cap savings" listed at -2.1m.

Will he ever play a FULL NFL season in his career from here on out? Highly unlikely

Fixed. Sorry about that.

No problem. I was too lazy to double check it initially (which is entirely on me), and that laziness led to an error getting fixed.

Win/Win :D

Collie was brought in 13 days ago when Amendola has played in live game action over the past 11 days, and was obviously expected to see the field for the first time in weeks prior to Collie even arriving. And for what it's worth, there was someone who stated that Collie was brought in due to Amendola's injury--actually you yourself are insinuating it here too, so that makes at least a couple/few posters.

The decision with signing Austin Collie had absolutely nothing to do with the health of Danny Amendola. Just the fact alone that some are insinuating the prospect of replacing an injury prone player with a significantly "more" injured player is practically silly, isn't it?

Boyce hasn't even been active since before Collie arrived here, and had only seen 5 targets in 4 games prior to finally being benched. If you don't think that those 2 are relative to each other, then I can respect that, but I feel quite differently.

Boyce's failures certainly weren't the "only" reason why Collie was brought in, we also needed additional depth and a guy who could recognize and pick up our offensive in a relatively short period of time due to having similarities where he had previously played. It was a no-brainer in my opinion, a very low risk/high reward situation, but the lack of Boyce being able to contribute was likely one aspect for the signing for sure. We also had Dobson and Thompkins as limited practice participants that week.

I think the reasoning for feeling that Boyce wasn't working out has been gone over many times, so there's no use beating a dead horse.

I couldn't imagine why you'd compare a cheap rookie contract in Boyce, with a very expensive 30 million dollar pact with Amendola? They actually couldn't be any different. We've moved on from players who were 4th round draft picks a million times over with almost no cap effect or major drawback aside from losing out on a mid round pick. When have you seen them move on from someone who would cost more to cut than to keep in terms of a major 30 million dollar contract? The 2 situations couldn't possibly be more different and they don't have any similarities whatsoever.

Amendola had experience in McDaniels' offense prior to even coming here and had 3/4 productive NFL seasons. Josh Boyce hasn't even been able to get the offensive system down, and hasn't even begun to earn Brady's trust yet. There are a ton of instances where a mid round pick at the position of WR is used as a first season red shirt, particularly in a complicated scheme such as this one.

If Boyce doesn't work out, no one will bat an eye and it will cost almost nothing at all. If Amendola doesn't work out it will be viewed as a monumental failure and will cost more to cut than keep him here. Why would you cut a player with obvious potential and experience in the system prior to waiting until you can save money by doing so? We aren't talking about a cheap young rookie here. We're talking about one of the more highly sought after free agent slot receivers in last year's free agency market.

The chances of having 3 rookie WR's contribute with a lot of production were slim and none to begin with, so we're actually doing very well with Thompkins and Dobson for 2013. Better than any previous season in terms of rookie WR production since Deion Branch, and even he only had 43 catches and 3-4 TD's throughout the whole year. Both Thompkins and Dobson should surpass that in 2013.

Boyce will be competing for reps next year. In the meantime, he'll be red shirted like we've seen other rookie WR's in the past. If he can pay attention in film study, run the proper routes in practice, and pick up the offensive scheme that would go a long way for him chances in 2014.

It certainly is when you take into account the salary cap ramifications, and the fact that it would cost much more to cut him that to keep him until at least 2015. That's the basic standard for "bigger/major" contracts. You have to get through the first couple of years until you see a cap savings. In the meantime the team basically assumes the risk in the first 2 (or so) years. It's normally the same for any kind of bigger, multi year deal. That's why you don't see many bigger named guys who are costing a lot get cut in the first year or two, unless there are enormous communications or character concern problems, etc.

Not only that, obviously Belichick felt comfortable in bringing him in to replace Welker, or he wouldn't have been courting him since the initial first hour of the "legal tampering" period that began on the Saturday morning prior to free agency.

Some here seem to be forgetting that Amendola has 3/4 productive seasons in the NFL. It's been 6 freaking games so far into a five year contract. Let's give the guy a chance for crying out loud. If we're at this point next season through the halfway or so point, then cutting Amendola can be a reasonable topic, but we have a long way to go before that.

In the meantime, the fact that Amendola is 27 yrs old has nothing at all to do with anything in my opinion. He is the usual and normal age for someone who's been in the league for 4 yrs. Let's not go grasping at straws and act like 27 is "old" for a player of his position.

Collie may not have been signed the same week that Amendola was injured but that does not mean Amendola did not play a part in the decision, the week they signed Collie they had Amendola, Thompkins, Dobson and Slater all listed as questionable or doubtful, those injuries combined with the release of Sudfeld which signified a move (temporarily I hope) away from a 2 tight end offense is what I would align Collie being here with. Boyce not being up to par likely was a factor as well but I would not go to the degree of labeling Collie as Boyce’s replacement, the fact is Boyce has been a notch below the other 2 rookies from the start of camp.

Official Website of the New England Patriots | Games & Stats - Injury Report

SF I think you know I respect you as a poster more than anyone on here, so no hard feelings either way in this difference in opinions but I just cannot agree with the assessment that Amendola has had these productive seasons in the NFL at least in terms of a $5 million a year player, his best NFL season was 2010 which also happened to be his only fully NFL season, during that year he had 85 receptions for 689 yards, with a 8.1 yard per catch average and 3 touchdowns now those were really good numbers in St Louis because when he was there he was on a UDFA contract. Now that Amendola is the 27th highest paid wide receiver in the NFL he is expected to perform it, right now Amendola is 126th in in receiving yards, 108th in reception in the entire NFL the variance in performance and pay is unacceptable, and even if you attribute it to injuries this year during his best season 2010 Amendola was 51st in the NFL in receiving yards, his predecessor was consistently in the top 10 over the last few years.

http://overthecap.com/top-player-salaries.php?Position=WR

My point here is Amendola is not going to live up to his pay, just like Brandon Lloyd didn’t live up to his contract and Greg Salas didn’t live up to the draft pick we traded to acquire him, Josh McDaniel’s for all the great he did drafting players like Decker and Thomas has failed miserably with his free agent decisions. You do not give a player who is injured consistently throughout his career a contract that basically handcuffs you for at least 2 seasons, it was an awful signing I really was wishful it wouldn’t be but so far Amendola has proven to be exactly what he was rumored to be when he signed.

Will he ever play a FULL NFL season in his career from here on out? Highly unlikely

Possibly, possibly not--but either way I think it's way too early to even consider it at this very early point in time.

Even IF they think they made a mistake after a little more than a month into a longer term deal, they'll likely have to suck it up and deal with it throughout next year too.

Collie may not have been signed the same week that Amendola was injured but that does not mean Amendola did not play a part in the decision, the week they signed Collie they had Amendola, Thompkins, Dobson and Slater all listed as questionable or doubtful, those injuries combined with the release of Sudfeld which signified a move (temporarily I hope) away from a 2 tight end offense is what I would align Collie being here with. Boyce not being up to par likely was a factor as well but I would not go to the degree of labeling Collie as Boyce’s replacement, the fact is Boyce has been a notch below the other 2 rookies from the start of camp.

That's something we can agree on. I don't think it was necessarily ONE specific reason for why Collie was brought it. I think there were several factors. The point I disagreed with was with those who were claiming that DA had anything to do with it. It was a depth signing, with consideration based on the injury situation with Thompkins/Dobson/Slater, and the lack of production/grasp of the offense in terms of Josh Boyce.

SF I think you know I respect you as a poster more than anyone on here, so no hard feelings either way in this difference in opinions

You never have to worry about silly things like that, Brady 6. I respect you and just about everyone on this forum. Sometimes there are just a difference of opinions, so nothing is taken personally with me. There have actually been several posters whom I've had major disagreements with, and we've worked through them just fine.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so unless it's a repeated effort at ridicule or disrespect, we're good for the duration.

but I just cannot agree with the assessment that Amendola has had these productive seasons in the NFL at least in terms of a $5 million a year player, his best NFL season was 2010 which also happened to be his only fully NFL season, during that year he had 85 receptions for 689 yards, with a 8.1 yard per catch average and 3 touchdowns now those were really good numbers in St Louis because when he was there he was on a UDFA contract.

My point here is Amendola is not going to live up to his pay

If the point is that DA won't ever live up to his current pay, then you may be right. I just think it's way too early to make that determination based on a rough start through the first 5-6 games. Let's wait and see how he looks for the rest of the season and hopefully into the playoffs. I think it was a decent little injury that he came back from with the detached groin, so it may take a couple/few games to get him back up to speed, etc.

Either way, it looks like it'll have to wait until the 2015 season for Belichick to properly assess everything just due to the salary cap implications.

For what it's worth, DA actually didn't miss any games in his first 2 seasons, as he wasn't brought in until the 3rd game during the rookie campaign. He also led the NFL in kick return and punt return yardage in that first year too, so that should be taken into acct.

Is he worth 5 million a season? Probably not, but he probably never was.

Re: Re: Thru week 6 Amendola has only proven his critics correct…

If the point is that DA won't ever live up to his current pay, then you may be right. I just think it's way too early to make that determination based on a rough start through the first 5-6 games. Let's wait and see how he looks for the rest of the season and hopefully into the playoffs. I think it was a decent little injury that he came back from with the detached groin, so it may take a couple/few games to get him back up to speed, etc.

Either way, it looks like it'll have to wait until the 2015 season for Belichick to properly assess everything just due to the salary cap implications.

For what it's worth, DA actually didn't miss any games in his first 2 seasons, as he wasn't brought in until the 3rd game during the rookie campaign. He also led the NFL in kick return and punt return yardage in that first year too, so that should be taken into acct.

Is he worth 5 million a season? Probably not, but he probably never was.

I am in agreement that Amendola is a very talented young man, if Amendola could keep himself on the field he could be an exceptional player. That's probably what irritates me the most about the situation.

In my opinion Amendola needs to commit to a more intense off season training program, something that incorporates a lot more strength and flexibility training; if he did this I believe he could hold up better against the abuse of a NFL season.

I don't personally put a ton of stock in the Collie signing, he had 2 catches at the end of the Saints game, to me people are getting ahead of themselves in my opinion he is simply a warm body in a depleted receiving corp.

I haven't bothered much with this thread

Seems to me, we've got a guy who, when he's healthy enough to be on the field, give it EVERYTHING he's got. I can't fault the guy for not putting it all out there.

Of course, he can'd do much from the hot tub - and that's the bottom line.

In my opinion Amendola needs to commit to a more intense off season training program, something that incorporates a lot more strength and flexibility training; if he did this I believe he could hold up better against the abuse of a NFL season.

I'm not really sure what the answer is, if there even is one. I don't know if it's just bad luck or if some players are just more injury prone.

I'd like to see your theory play out for a guy with re-occurring injuries like Aqib Talib and his (now) 6 seasons of hip and hamstring issues though. One would think that there may be a better way to combat something like that, although we also can assume that he's probably tried just about everything.

I don't personally put a ton of stock in the Collie signing, to me people are getting ahead of themselves in my opinion he is simply a warm body in a depleted receiving corp.

Initially I wasn't sure what to think, and I remember making the comment that even Belichick himself may have been somewhat in the dark until he actually saw Collie perform in practice and in live game reps, where he could make a better assessment.

I do think that now, Collie may offer a bigger role moving forward. Belichick made the comments this week that Collie is working hard with the receivers coach and Tom Brady every single day, where he is actually spending upwards of almost 3 hours a day extra to be able to pick up our verbiage as quickly as possible.

Brady seemed to be making some comments and adjustments to him that were throughout the game on Sunday that were picked up on the "NFL Turning point" program, and the 4th down timing play was very, very pretty. Collie turned his back just at the perfect time as the ball was already thrown.

We need an additional target for Brady to get rid of the ball a bit quicker in the shorter passing game, and in my opinion Collie may provide a bigger role as the season progresses. I highly doubt that he'll be anyone's secret fantasy football weapon, but I see no reason why he can't make a couple/few key catches throughout each game. He, Brady, and the coaches are certainly working very hard, so it's possible they see a bigger role for him.

I'm not sure that I'd necessarily agree about our "depleted receiving corps," as we're basically missing one player in Amendola at the moment. Even if you count Gronk as a receiving option with your comment, he's going to simply replace Hooman/Mulligan, so I wouldn't see much change in the personnel there either. We'll have to see how it all plays out moving forward. It could be a good signing.

Lifting weights and stretching is going to prevent broken collarbones and concussions?

Everyone is kind of right in this thread .

It wasn't Amendola's fault but at the same time we have all watched football enough to know that some players just have the knack for being out with injury .

Whether it's his fault or not , he has a history of always being out . . That's really the bottom line .

Lifting weights and stretching is going to prevent broken collarbones and concussions?

Yes. It's science. :)

Does Amendola publish his workout/training regimen somewhere? You would think that it would be advisable to actually know what that training and conditioning program is before offering the opinion that 'more' of anything should be done in order to better prepare for the rigors of the NFL season.

In a word, yes. It would be a good idea for Amendola to maybe start jogging and doing some push-ups during the offseason, it's pretty obvious to all that he's never worked out before. He could start out slow by walking on a treadmill and maybe 5-10 reps with 5 lb dumbbells, and maybe try 3-4 different exercises. In addition he could probably do a few things like, walk the dog, take out the garbage, and mow the lawn himself instead of hiring some kid to do it. If he does that and then lays off the beers, wings, and 3 am loaded pizza then maybe he won't get hurt anymore. I mean seriously, he's making 30 million, the least he could do is a few exercises so he won't get a concussion the next time he gets whacked in the head like a truck hit him. Frigging P#ssy.

You know, they can easily replace him with Austin Collie without any of the injury concerns.

The is post just screams I want to be confrontational so I conviently ignored the other injuries.

Yes it could help prevent the collar muscle is armor and the more you have the better.

In a word, yes. It would be a good idea for Amendola to maybe start jogging and doing some push-ups during the offseason, it's pretty obvious to all that he's never worked out before. He could start out slow by walking on a treadmill and maybe 5-10 reps with 5 lb dumbbells, and maybe try 3-4 different exercises. In addition he could probably do a few things like, walk the dog, take out the garbage, and mow the lawn himself instead of hiring some kid to do it. If he does that and then lays off the beers, wings, and 3 am loaded pizza then maybe he won't get hurt anymore. I mean seriously, he's making 30 million, the least he could do is a few exercises so he won't get a concussion the next time he gets whacked in the head like a truck hit him. Frigging P#ssy.

You know, they can easily replace him with Austin Collie without any of the injury concerns.

This post is such a fail..

You defend Amendola like a 12 year old girl defends Justin Bieber, you ignore all logic and just become overly aggressive and offensive.

Yes. It's science. :)

Does Amendola publish his workout/training regimen somewhere? You would think that it would be advisable to actually know what that training and conditioning program is before offering the opinion that 'more' of anything should be done in order to better prepare for the rigors of the NFL season.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patr...mma_training_with_chuck_liddell_randy_couture

Very cardio heavy training program.

This post is such a fail..

You defend Amendola like a 12 year old girl defends Justin Bieber, you ignore all logic and just become overly aggressive and offensive.

I'm sorry, I googled the Brady6 Plan for developing an "Armor Collar" and all that came up were sites detailing how someone could actually stick their head up their @ss, repeatedly, as an exercise no less? Go figure? I guees Amendola will just have to figure it out for himself.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3