PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thru week 6 Amendola has only proven his critics correct…

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that Welker is water under the bridge and there's nothing we can do about it. I guess the fact that Amendola isn't a big guy and has missed good chunks of two prior seasons, for any injury, in my mind makes him injury prone, even if the new injuries are different. I just question whether he'll even be able to make the team next year. His track record with the Pats so far is not good. Believe me, I wish I felt differently.

He's actually considerably bigger than Welker but unfortunately he keeps getting hurt. In all honesty i think it's the position, and i really wonder if it possible to keep any of the slot receivers healthy on a regular basis. Welker was the exception to the rule, as he managed to take the worst imaginable beatings and shots and stay out there. Going forward it may be necessary for most NFL teams to do slot receiver by committee because having small receivers always going across the middle seems like a recipe for injury for almost all of them. it's either going to be that or go to much bigger slot guys who can stand up to the pounding better.

Don't put yourself down like that Ivan losers get ice-cream too.

Actually it is time for the ignore list for you, as I said I have never seen a worse fan in my life, you are either steve from fall river or his miserable twin brother. Every word from you drips negativity and misery and i really don't need to see anything you have to say. Adios idiot.

I never believed that Amendola was going to be better than Welker but I absolutely believed he could replace about 85% of his production and that Vereen and others could offset the rest. I still think they should have matched the Broncos and kept Welker but that ship sailed a long time ago and they signed Amendola for 5 years and imo talking about getting rid of him 6 weeks into that deal is really ridiculous. Amendola deserves at least 2 full seasons to demonstrate his worth or lack thereof, you don't bring guys in on long term deals and dump them just because they get injured early on.

The Patriots have the core of a really good receiving corps right now with Amendola, Gronkowski, Edelman, Dobson, Thompkins, and Boyce, and now they need to work with them to see who is going to pan out and who can't be counted upon, then make moves to keep improving it this offseason.

Two years? Why? I think BB and the Pats staff will know a lot sooner than that.

Of course, you might have meant to say that it will take "at least 2 full seasons" for Amendola to play one season's worth of games...:singing:

Re: Re: Thru week 6 Amendola has only proven his critics correct…

I don't think Brady6 ever argued they should have kept Welker, he has just been trashing Amendola for getting hurt. I am pretty sure that brady6 and patsfan2 and the others knocking Amendola also wanted them to get rid of Welker, and Brady6 actually suggested they just minimize the slot role, which is flat out stupid with Brady as your QB, because he loves slot WR's and uses them extensively.

Not even close, my opinion was we should have resigned Welker for at least one more season even if that meant tagging him because the rebuilding of the receiver spot should have never been done on the fly. Granted we wouldn't be rebuilding on the fly had players like Brandon Lloyd and Greg Salas not been examples of yet another McDaniels poor free agent recommendations.

I'm not trashing Amendola for getting hurt I am not trashing Amendola period, I'm saying an actuality Amendola has been exactly what his critics said he would be a good player who often injured. Your sitting here arguing against that is ridiculous, Amendola has been injured for every game this season, how exactly does that prove his critics wrong, am I missing something?

The suggestion to minimize the slot position never and would never come out of my mouth. Also I have only been posting in this forum since June and Welker signed elsewhere in March so clearly your just making stuff up to serve your irrational agenda.

So, let me see if i have this straight............Danny Amendola gets a concussion so they should cut him and replace him with Austin Collie.

That's the answer....

Smart bunch we have here............

Did Amendola miss 3 of our 6 games with a concussion? NO!! You sound foolish right now.

Yikes! Yea I guess that's why there are, um let's see...I count exactly... ZERO slot receivers in the NFL who have come anywhere close to producing like Welker. Edelman has been great so far this year, but that fact does little to support the assertion that slot receivers have become generally interchangeable.

That's because exactly zero teams in the NFL feature slot receivers as prominently as this team. There's a kid in Dallas named Cole Beasley who looks like a Wes Welker clone, only faster. I've seen him make catches on routes out of the slot that looked identical to what Welker does for a living. You couldn't tell the difference by looking at them. But he takes a backseat in their scheme to guys like Dez Bryant and Jason Witten.

It's just a pass distribution thing. The Patriots have always been about the underneath passes, dating back to the days of Troy Brown. Welker's good in that role, but it's not a role that is all that tough to fill. Brady just needs to get some rhythm and consistency there, and having to constantly switch back and forth between Amendola and Edelman is hindering the process.

And again, Gronkowski needs to get his ass out there ASAP so there's a security blanket to look for in the seams.

Not trying to stir the pot...just trying to get a capologist to explain the cap hits if NE was to cut DA after: '13, '14, '15. It looks like NE has to be committed for two years minimum...but...
Isn't DA essentially the same player Collie has become? Anything positive is a bonus....but you can't depend that either player will be there for the next play.
Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2013 Patriots Salary Cap Footnotes and Documentation Page - Danny Amendola

In 2014 DA has a cap hit of 4,543,750. That amount is dependent on how many games he is active in this year. That number presumes that DA will be active for 11 games this season. If he is active for more than 11 games, increase the amount by $31,250. If less, decrease the amount.

If the Pats chose to release him, it would cost $6.8 million on the cap.
The 4.8 million in unamortized signing bonus plus the $2 million salary.
One should also consider that another player would then take DA's place among the Top 51 list. That player will most likely be making $420,000 salary.

In other words,

Seriously? Six games into his Patriots' career, we are already talking cap ramifications if the Pats cut Amendola?

Seriously? Six games into his Patriots' career, we are already talking cap ramifications if the Pats cut Amendola?

These posters are insane on this topic. I am glad we got amendola over "drop the most important passes" welker.

These posters are insane on this topic. I am glad we got amendola over "drop the most important passes" welker.

I could see why I mean the offense is so improved we're going to surpass are point total from last season within 10 games.

Why are you surprised? These posters are probably the same as the ones who would have cut Dobson after game 3, or at least had resigned themselves to Dobson being a major bust.

Good thing the rookies are making plays while getting on the job training (Boyce not as much, but, he is somewhat).

Boyce has been targeted a whopping 5 times all season, and hasn't even played or been active in the last 2 or 3 games. I'd hardly call that "somewhat making plays." The guy isn't even seeing the field.

I would consider this a redshirt/learning year for Josh Boyce, and possibly even one of the reasons why we went out and added Austin Collie when Amendola was already known to be returning. Josh Boyce surely wasn't going to get it done and I think we saw that throughout the first month of the season.

As the OP pointed out DA is not worth $5Mill if he's not going to be on the field.

And as Deus Irae pointed out, Amendola would actually cost the team 3/4 of a million dollars if they cut him next year in 2014. He would not save them money, he would cost them money.

The first real cap savings year won't take place until 2015--which is typical of most contracts worth a damn. You can't rush to conclusions and cut players right off the bat unless they are making practically nothing based on the NFL pay scale.

The subject of Amendola under performing is one thing. The subject of actually thinking that we would cut Amendola is absolutely pointless, not to mention ridiculous and short-sighted.

And by the way--the fact that Austin Collie was active on Sunday means absolutely nothing aside from the fact that they believe he can contribute much more at this point in time than Josh Boyce can, who has been inactive of late. Every position has players who are active on gameday and aren't expected to see much of the field.

Thinking that Austin Collie was signed to replace Danny Amendola 12 days ago when everyone knew that Amendola was returning and healthy is almost as silly as the idea of cutting him. The addition of Austin Collie had absolutely nothing to do with Danny Amendola, although he can add production if any of the receivers are hurt by receiving more reps--and Amendola is not excluded from that grouping by any means.

When the signing was made I saw it more of a replacement to Boyce myself, who obviously wasn't "getting it" through 4 games; but in all reality the signing likely had multiple reasons that it made sense--depth included. It was a low risk signing for a guy who had the potential to work hard and pick up the system rather quickly due to his knowledge of a similar system, albeit with different verbiage. He's also played in a lot of big games and offers Brady that much needed short/intermediate quick, timing option.

I could see why I mean the offense is so improved we're going to surpass are point total from last season within 10 games.

Where was the team last year at this point???

Dude - you whine about almost as many decisions that Belichick makes as CaptainStone. I have news for you. The only thing that matters is the wins and losses. Right now, the Pats sit at 5-1 and that is with the loss of Wilfork. Now, an even tougher test is ahead. Either Spikes or Fletcher is going to have to step up and take Mayo's place.

I'm sure that, after next weeks game, you'll make a thread complaining about the lack of depth at MLB because Mayo is out now.

Nobody's signed to sit on the bench. Some guys are signed with the expectation that they'll mostly be sitting on the bench, and Austin Collie is one of those guys.

No player is signed to 'sit on the bench' at all. Every single man on that roster is competing for a starting job. You think BB wants his guys lower down on the depth chart settling for where they are and thinking otherwise?

If you have seven WRs on your roster you'd sooner have seven starting calibre WRs than a couple of those and a bunch of bench warmers.

Naturally there are a lot that will never come close, but there are plenty of examples of JAGs and low risk/high reward signing that end up panning out. I'll tell you one thing for sure, every player on our roster wants to be the starter and is doing their utmost to get as many reps as they can.

Collie was brought in to help this team in any way he can and if he earns the reps, he'll get them. If he looks better than Edelman does all of a sudden, he'll start stealing more reps. That's the way it works and the nature of the business.

No team signs a guy as a pure bench warmer.

And as Deus Irae pointed out, Amendola would actually cost the team 3/4 of a million dollars if they cut him next year in 2014. He would not save them money, he would cost them money.

The actual amount is over 2.3 million.
Current 2014 cap hit - $4.54375 million
If cut, $6.8 million.

Where was the team last year at this point???

Dude - you whine about almost as many decisions that Belichick makes as CaptainStone. I have news for you. The only thing that matters is the wins and losses. Right now, the Pats sit at 5-1 and that is with the loss of Wilfork. Now, an even tougher test is ahead. Either Spikes or Fletcher is going to have to step up and take Mayo's place.

I'm sure that, after next weeks game, you'll make a thread complaining about the lack of depth at MLB because Mayo is out now.

Well I would not complain about the lack of depth at MLB for a few reasons:

1. Mayo does not play MLB he plays OLB, Brandon Spikes is the MLB.
2. We have Jamie Collins, Dane Fletcher, Chris White and Steve Beauharnais to go along with Hightower and Spikes which makes the LB likely the deepest position on the team.

As far as me just whining that’s way off base and proves that you clearly do not read my posts, I post about positive, neutral and negative topics. An example of this would be Danny Amendola has not done anything to discredit his critics, on the flipside the New England Patriots do have very good depth at the LB position and with talented players like Hightower and Collins who can play multiple positions the team is in a very good position to overcome the loss of Jerod Mayo.

The first real cap savings year won't take place until 2015--which is typical of most contracts worth a damn. You can't rush to conclusions and cut players right off the bat unless they are making practically nothing based on the NFL pay scale.

The subject of Amendola under performing is one thing. The subject of actually thinking that we would cut Amendola is absolutely pointless, not to mention ridiculous and short-sighted.

And by the way--the fact that Austin Collie was active on Sunday means absolutely nothing aside from the fact that they believe he can contribute much more at this point in time than Josh Boyce can, who has been inactive of late. Every position has players who are active on gameday and aren't expected to see much of the field.

Thinking that Austin Collie was signed to replace Danny Amendola 12 days ago when everyone knew that Amendola was returning and healthy is almost as silly as the idea of cutting him. The addition of Austin Collie had absolutely nothing to do with Danny Amendola, although he can add production if any of the receivers are hurt by receiving more reps--and Amendola is not excluded from that grouping by any means.

When the signing was made I saw it more of a replacement to Boyce myself, who obviously wasn't "getting it" through 4 games; but in all reality the signing likely had multiple reasons that it made sense--depth included. It was a low risk signing for a guy who had the potential to work hard and pick up the system rather quickly due to his knowledge of a similar system, albeit with different verbiage. He's also played in a lot of big games and offers Brady that much needed short/intermediate quick, timing option.

I am not sure that anyone suggested Collie would be Amendola’s replacement, the only reason someone could come to that conclusion is because the only reason Austin Collie is even on this team right now is because Danny Amendola failed to remain healthy. I don’t align it with Boyce and if it is shortsighted to discuss moving on from Amendola I cannot see how moving on from Boyce would be viewed as any different.

I do not think it is shortsighted to look at the options when moving away from Amendola, the fact is this is not a new thing for Amendola, he has missed 23 of a possible 38 games over the past 3 seasons, maybe the thought was that a change of scenery and a more accurate QB would change things but they haven’t it is the same old song. You were big into the Hernandez case and seem to follow the law so I know you know that a person’s record comes into consideration. It does not seem like a rush to conclusion when you combine his history with the nearly 40% of the season complete, SF we’re not talking about a 21-23 year old player Amendola is 28 years old and one can only assume if injuries were an issue in his younger years age will only add to that.

Why are you surprised? These posters are probably the same as the ones who would have cut Dobson after game 3, or at least had resigned themselves to Dobson being a major bust.

I opened this thread and I have never said a single negative thing about Aaron Dobson in any post, feel free to review them for confirmation. Amendola is not a rookie, he came in with the criticism of being injury prone so far he has been here for 6 regular season games and he has been injured (missed games or less than 100%) for all 6 games, so his critics labeled him injury prone coming in and so far 100% of the time he has been injured for a regular season game. What exactly is there to debate?

You want to sit here write a post from this superior angle like what do you expect, what exactly are you trying to prove that your superior for the fact that you can ignore the actualities of a situation? Amendola came in labeled injury prone he has been injured for every single game this season, those are undisputable facts, taking a superior tone when ignoring them is absurd and expecting this team to succeed long term ignoring underperformance is negligent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe