PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thru week 6 Amendola has only proven his critics correct…

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you call incessant whining nit picking, then sure... The problem I see, is far to many folks within our fan base, IMO, is they are only passionate about the Pats and not football in general and compare every Pats team to the 01, 03 and 04 teams. Instead of comparing them to the current competition around the NFL for the given year. Thus coming off sounding like ignorant whine asses. Its the only explanation I have been able to come up with to explain the general football ignorance displayed by a lot of Pats fans.

You really do spend a lot of energy shrilly complaining about complaining don't you? This is not an ignorant fan base. Pink hat contingent at Gillette has nothing to do with anything imo.

You and a few others need to relax--there's nothing that says you have to gush about every aspect of the team in order to enjoy the ride and be a true fan.

I bet all these guys wanted Brady cut because of his "bad" play these first six games. You guys are ***** IMO. Amendola wins week 1 for us, and comes back 100% this week only to be knocked out. This dude has just been unlucky. NFL has injuries, some people have them more. But it doesn't help a players longevity when the game gets stronger, faster and the players intentionally trying to kill others. Yeah I said it, look how they hit, its not to tackle, its to hit these guys as hard as the can and Possibly injure. I hope amendola comes back and has a career game. And shut all these haters up. You guys make me sick. And dropson nicknames, this dude kept the offense rolling at the beginning.

Btw, if Tom lobs amendolas last pass attempt, we are all praising him for the TD he would have had.

You really do spend a lot of energy shrilly complaining about complaining don't you? This is not an ignorant fan base. Pink hat contingent at Gillette has nothing to do with anything imo.

You and a few others need to relax--there's nothing that says you have to gush about every aspect of the team in order to enjoy the ride and be a true fan.

Pink hat contingent? What does that include in your opinion? The whole stadium or just the famous red seats? Because I have yet to sit in that stadium and not have people complain about people standing, its 3rd down folks need to get their asses out of the seat. Rarely happens, 300 level, 200 level 100 level sat in them all. Its not everybody, but it is far too many. Worst crowd I've seen in any of the NFL stadiums I've watched a game in.

When did I ever say you have to gush about every aspect of the team? Just try not to be hyperbole about the weak areas of the team, keep it in context and compare it to other teams weaknesses. No team in the NFL is without flaw, yet many here will make other winning teams out to be the second coming of the 85' Bears.

Welker is on pace for 20TDs this year. Amendola may not reach 20 receptions this year lool. He's been absolute garbage...even when he's been on the field this year, he either stinks it up with drops or poor route running.

First of all, he has started a total of 2 games this year. In those 2 games started, he's caught 16 balls for a 10 ypc average. We all know of the great first game, so let's give him some credit there. Let's also give him some credit for coming back from a pretty serious injury and only missing 3 games while we're at it.

I agree with you that he hasn't looked as good since he's come back, but he played limited snaps last game and didn't start. Yesterday he was lit up like an Xmas tree and it looked like he was out before he even hit the ground.

I hear what you're saying...but I think we need to examine the horrible decision to allow Welker to walk separately. In other words, it's not too fair to blame it on Amendola. Letting Welker walk was a dumb move on the management's part, but it's only been a very small sample so far. There's still a very good chance that Amendola ends up being a nice part of this offense, not just in 2013 but also for a few yrs to come afterwards.

But it just so happens that he is injured again with his 2nd serious injury this season and we're not even at the halfway point.

Maybe we should be certain that it is indeed what you deem as a "serious injury" first before jumping to these conclusions.

Amendola hasn't lived up to our expectations so far, and letting WWW go was a mistake (aside from anything to do with Amendola), but one thing that Danny Amendola is NOT is a soft player. He may be unlucky in some aspects, but he came back from that first one in only 3 weeks, just like his potentially career ending injury last year where he only missed 3 games.

There's a decent possibility that he'll be fine, and that they simply hold him out of this Sunday's NYJ game due to be cautious. It's probably the best move to make considering the viscous hit that he took. That said, he very well may only end up missing one total game from what you said was his second "serious injury."

Before you tell me how that hit was illegal and blaming Amendola is dumb, let me just say this – I don’t care! One of the things that made Wes Welker a great player was his intelligence and the wherewithal to protect himself from taking those type of hits, Amendola ran 100 MPH and it was as idiotic as throwing a glass against the concrete along with having a similar result. My excuses for Danny Amendola have flown south with the birds, he is never going to contribute to this offense consistently because he is never going to be on the field and when he is it is going to be like weeks 1, 5 and 6 where he is out there but far less than 100% and we as fans are just sitting in our seats waiting for the next shoe to drop.

He is a talented player and it is a damn shame, but at 28 years old I think it is time to accept that he is what he is and that is a player who you cannot center an offense around or even be made a key piece to an offense because his is going to give 8-10 games per year on average and 3-5 of those will be played at less than 100%.

SHAME on Amendola for playing the game at 100%.

SHAME for not slowing down which, as a common known FACT, is more 'idiotic' than maintaining the same speed.

No coach EVER teaches a player to slow down in any situation. You're more likely to get hurt FYI because one thing is for sure...no defender is slowing down on you.

That was a freak knock out. It happens and is the nature of the sport. That hit would have knocked even Wes out of a game.

There's no discussion here. I'm not even sure how ilegal that hit was. The only rule it could have infringed was the 'crown of the helmet' rule and I don't think it even infringed that. He was not defenceless either. Good hit. That's what you have a helmet for.

That was a freak knock out. It happens and is the nature of the sport. That hit would have knocked even Wes out of a game.

There's no discussion here. I'm not even sure how ilegal that hit was. The only rule it could have infringed was the 'crown of the helmet' rule and I don't think it even infringed that. He was not defenceless either. Good hit. That's what you have a helmet for.

In realizing that it's extremely controversial and that I'm far from being an expert on rules, I tend to agree with you that I'm not as sure as many others that a fine is definitely coming.

Sometimes you just get lit up. All we can hope for is that Amendola was able to improve a bit from yesterday and today, and that he only misses this week's game at the NYJ in a worst case scenario. I really think that no matter what, he adds something to the offense that is sorely missed when he's not on the field--even if he hasn't proven to be 100% healthy from the groin tear just yet. I seriously think that we will be happy with him eventually, even if we're all still bitter about the Welker situation.

In realizing that it's extremely controversial and that I'm far from being an expert on rules, I tend to agree with you that I'm not as sure as many others that a fine is definitely coming.

Sometimes you just get lit up. All we can hope for is that Amendola was able to improve a bit from yesterday and today, and that he only misses this week's game at the NYJ in a worst case scenario. I really think that no matter what, he adds something to the offense that is sorely missed when he's not on the field--even if he hasn't proven to be 100% healthy from the groin tear just yet. I seriously think that we will be happy with him eventually, even if we're all still bitter about the Welker situation.

Kinda wonder how much less bitter we'd be if Welker ended up with a team that wasn't a championship contender (preferably in the NFC), let alone the team we view as our biggest competitor. I'm sure that Wes would undoubtably make a team like the Titans better, but I'm doubtful we'd be as bitter anytime he racked up stats and generated downs/tds for a team we didn't already dislike. But I'm stating the obvious here,

Kinda wonder how much less bitter we'd be if Welker ended up with a team that wasn't a championship contender (preferably in the NFC), let alone the team we view as our biggest competitor. I'm sure that Wes would undoubtably make a team like the Titans better, but I'm doubtful we'd be as bitter anytime he racked up stats and generated downs/tds for a team we didn't already dislike. But I'm stating the obvious here,

Yeah, I agree. The rumor was that DEN was the only other team that he'd consider, but I'm not sure if that was actually true or not. You can't help but wonder if another team came in and threw big money at him...

The fact that is was likely between them and us makes it even worse. When the news came in that DEN had made him an offer I definitely thought that we'd have upped the offer to 2/11, and that that would have been enough to keep him from taking their 2/12 offer--especially considering that we were offering more guaranteed money in year one.

One million dollars more. That is honestly what I feel would've done it. After all, that would've have made him realize that our offer was directly in line with even the best teams and offers out there, and one can assume that he really didn't want to leave Brady and the team.

I think it was a pissing match that went bad. In the end either side blinked.

You have to admit that he IS injury prone. I think that is what the OP is trying to prove. I agree with him.

Just expect him not to play every game.

I like his play making potential, but, he is what he is.

Good thing the rookies are making plays while getting on the job training (Boyce not as much, but, he is somewhat).

Damn, all I seen was the guy go out their and gave it his all to go and get the first down, help his team, gets knocked out in the process and people still ***** that he's weak, soft, etc. That's disgusting. Amendola is the definition of a dirt dog. He never takes plays off, gives everything 100%, and people ***** for him to slow down?? That's insane... He's 5'10 190lbs..if he where to slow down and take plays with a "live to see another play" approach he wouldn't have a job.

I've said this before, majority of fans where dying to jump on him the day he was signed. Its just disgutingly weak to do that on a play where he was KO before his body hit the ground. Its time for Patriot Nation to realize WW gone an never coming back...Amendola here to stay. And ohh BTW we are 5-1.

Being bitter about Welker leaving is fine.

Criticizing the decision to let him go (I do) is fine.

Taking it out on Danny Amendola is juvenile, unfair and downright stupid.

Why the hell wasn't helmet to helmet called on that play BTW?

Because it was not helmet to helmet, he led with his shoulder pads, the league is yet to issue a fine so either they’re dragging their feet or upon further review they still find no fault in the hit.

I re-read this thread and there seems to be some clear confusion in what my OP was intended to convey.

1. I will admit the timing of my OP was not ideal, I felt it was a subject worthy of discussing after Amendola’s first half performance, I actually thought after the Bengal’s game it was a topic worth discussing but did not want to be premature.
2. I want to send this message to all of you loud and clear, Amendola leaving the game with a head injury has NO impact in the opinion conveyed in my OP, of the 360 minutes of football that Amendola either missed or played at less than 100% health the head injury was responsible for 17 minutes of it, that is 4.7% of the season, the opinion formed in my OP was based around the other 95.3% of the season.
3. If you wish to ignore the 95.3% of the first 6 weeks of the season that occurred prior to head injury and only focus on the head injury then you’re doing it to serve your own agenda, which is to disguise the reality that Amendola has not done anything to discredit the opinions and beliefs of his critics over the first 6 weeks of this season.
4. The team having a 5-1 record does not mean fans should completely ignore the underperformance of players on the team, this fan base should know more than anyone that just because something does not affect the regular season win/loss record does not mean that when it really matters it will not bite us in the ass.
5. In the 329 posts prior to this one it has been all excuses, personal attacks, and focusing on the 4.7% of the season after the head injury, NOT one person was able to make a single compelling point to suggest Amendola has proved his critics wrong. Nothing!
6. We have played 37.5% of the season, saying it is too soon to discuss this seems ridiculous to me, if a player has not impressed in with nearly 40% the season complete what exactly should we wait for week 16?
7. Amendola is projecting to play in 8 games and finish with around 40 receptions, 400 yards, 0 touchdowns and is making a reception on just 59% of his targets, if those stats hold true Amendola should be cut in the offseason and replaced, that is not worthy of $5 million and if you think Amendola should be paid $125,000 per reception than all I can say is I disagree.

People need to stop hiding behind the 4.7% of the 6 weeks played after the head injury, opinions should be formed based on the big picture and the 95.3% of the season played prior to that head injury contributes a lot more to the big picture of the first 6 weeks than the 4.7% after.

I tried to drill home the percentages here with the hope that by showing you all that what your trying to make this thread about is less than 5% of the problem, it will likely not resonate and this thread will continue to be centered around the that 4.7% but hey I figured I would give it one more shot.

Brady6 well put my man.:clap2: If BB asked B Lloyd to take a pay cut and he played 16 games. DA's situation is quite obvious! I think the Kid's are going to make DA expandable in the end. Also Austin Colley is quite similar or even better than DA miunus the concussions.

DA's contract according to RotoWorld:3/13/2013: Signed a five-year, $28.5 million contract. The deal contains $10 million guaranteed -- a $6 million signing bonus, Amendola's first-year base salary, and $2 million of his second-year salary. Another $3.3 million is available through incentives. Amendola is eligible for per-game roster bonuses totaling $500,000 annually throughout the contract's life. 2013: $2 million, 2014: $3 million, 2015: $4 million, 2016: $5 million, 2017: $6 million, 2018: Free Agent

Not trying to stir the pot...just trying to get a capologist to explain the cap hits if NE was to cut DA after: '13, '14, '15. It looks like NE has to be committed for two years minimum...but...
Isn't DA essentially the same player Collie has become? Anything positive is a bonus....but you can't depend that either player will be there for the next play.

Before you tell me how that hit was illegal and blaming Amendola is dumb, let me just say this – I don’t care! One of the things that made Wes Welker a great player was his intelligence and the wherewithal to protect himself from taking those type of hits, Amendola ran 100 MPH and it was as idiotic as throwing a glass against the concrete along with having a similar result. My excuses for Danny Amendola have flown south with the birds, he is never going to contribute to this offense consistently because he is never going to be on the field and when he is it is going to be like weeks 1, 5 and 6 where he is out there but far less than 100% and we as fans are just sitting in our seats waiting for the next shoe to drop.

He is a talented player and it is a damn shame, but at 28 years old I think it is time to accept that he is what he is and that is a player who you cannot center an offense around or even be made a key piece to an offense because his is going to give 8-10 games per year on average and 3-5 of those will be played at less than 100%.

I have to agree. For whatever reason, size, body type, whatever, Amendola isn't cut out for a long term, or even 16 game season, NFL career.

Being bitter about Welker leaving is fine.

Criticizing the decision to let him go (I do) is fine.

Taking it out on Danny Amendola is juvenile, unfair and downright stupid.

We're not taking it out on him. We're taking it out on the Pats for thinking he could replace Welker, when history suggested strongly he couldn't because he can't stay on the field.

Just to point out something:

2014 cap hit if cut - $4.8m
2014 cap savings if cut - -751,250

He costs more to cut than to keep, so don't expect to see him get axed. 2015 is the first year for cap savings on his deal.

Brady6 well put my man.:clap2: If BB asked B Lloyd to take a pay cut and he played 16 games. DA's situation is quite obvious! I think the Kid's are going to make DA expandable in the end. Also Austin Colley is quite similar or even better than DA miunus the concussions.

So, let me see if i have this straight............Danny Amendola gets a concussion so they should cut him and replace him with Austin Collie.

That's the answer....

Smart bunch we have here............

We're not taking it out on him. We're taking it out on the Pats for thinking he could replace Welker, when history suggested strongly he couldn't because he can't stay on the field.

I don't think Brady6 ever argued they should have kept Welker, he has just been trashing Amendola for getting hurt. I am pretty sure that brady6 and patsfan2 and the others knocking Amendola also wanted them to get rid of Welker, and Brady6 actually suggested they just minimize the slot role, which is flat out stupid with Brady as your QB, because he loves slot WR's and uses them extensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes