PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thru week 6 Amendola has only proven his critics correct…

Status
Not open for further replies.
DA's contract according to RotoWorld:3/13/2013: Signed a five-year, $28.5 million contract. The deal contains $10 million guaranteed -- a $6 million signing bonus, Amendola's first-year base salary, and $2 million of his second-year salary. Another $3.3 million is available through incentives. Amendola is eligible for per-game roster bonuses totaling $500,000 annually throughout the contract's life. 2013: $2 million, 2014: $3 million, 2015: $4 million, 2016: $5 million, 2017: $6 million, 2018: Free Agent

Not trying to stir the pot...just trying to get a capologist to explain the cap hits if NE was to cut DA after: '13, '14, '15. It looks like NE has to be committed for two years minimum...but...
Isn't DA essentially the same player Collie has become? Anything positive is a bonus....but you can't depend that either player will be there for the next play.

He has been here a ninth and a half and sustained one leg injury that he recovered from quickly and apparently completely then was hit in the head. Those issues have zero future injury predictability in them. That's just the fact.

We're not taking it out on him. We're taking it out on the Pats for thinking he could replace Welker, when history suggested strongly he couldn't because he can't stay on the field.

I never believed that Amendola was going to be better than Welker but I absolutely believed he could replace about 85% of his production and that Vereen and others could offset the rest. I still think they should have matched the Broncos and kept Welker but that ship sailed a long time ago and they signed Amendola for 5 years and imo talking about getting rid of him 6 weeks into that deal is really ridiculous. Amendola deserves at least 2 full seasons to demonstrate his worth or lack thereof, you don't bring guys in on long term deals and dump them just because they get injured early on.

The Patriots have the core of a really good receiving corps right now with Amendola, Gronkowski, Edelman, Dobson, Thompkins, and Boyce, and now they need to work with them to see who is going to pan out and who can't be counted upon, then make moves to keep improving it this offseason.

I never believed that Amendola was going to be better than Welker but I absolutely believed he could replace about 85% of his production and that Vereen and others could offset the rest. I still think they should have matched the Broncos and kept Welker but that ship sailed a long time ago and they signed Amendola for 5 years and imo talking about getting rid of him 6 weeks into that deal is really ridiculous. Amendola deserves at least 2 full seasons to demonstrate his worth or lack thereof, you don't bring guys in on long term deals and dump them just because they get injured early on.

The Patriots have the core of a really good receiving corps right now with Amendola, Gronkowski, Edelman, Dobson, Thompkins, and Boyce, and now they need to work with them to see who is going to pan out and who can't be counted upon, then make moves to keep improving it this offseason.

Wait.... we have to wait 2 years on Amendola, but we've got to call Edelman, Dobson, Thompkins and Boyce part of a "really good receiving corps" after 6 weeks, when said receiving corps has mostly been a steaming pile of crap during that time?

Come on, now.

If you watch the play you’ll see he slowed up and then turned it back on.

As I said man for me the concussion is a non-factor and changes nothing, he missed the 4 quarter yesterday because of that, my issue is with the injuries prior and his lackluster performance when on the field in weeks 5 and 6.

If you watch the play you’ll see he slowed up and then turned it back on.

As I said man for me the concussion is a non-factor and changes nothing, he missed the 4th quarter yesterday because of that, my issue is with the injuries prior and his lackluster performance when on the field in weeks 5 and 6, injured or not injured he has dropped at least 3 balls in the last 2 weeks that a $5 mil receiver should be catching.

From the Department of Redundancy Department.

I re-read this thread and there seems to be some clear confusion in what my OP was intended to convey.

1. I will admit the timing of my OP was not ideal, I felt it was a subject worthy of discussing after Amendola’s first half performance, I actually thought after the Bengal’s game it was a topic worth discussing but did not want to be premature.
2. I want to send this message to all of you loud and clear, Amendola leaving the game with a head injury has NO impact in the opinion conveyed in my OP, of the 360 minutes of football that Amendola either missed or played at less than 100% health the head injury was responsible for 17 minutes of it, that is 4.7% of the season, the opinion formed in my OP was based around the other 95.3% of the season.
3. If you wish to ignore the 95.3% of the first 6 weeks of the season that occurred prior to head injury and only focus on the head injury then you’re doing it to serve your own agenda, which is to disguise the reality that Amendola has not done anything to discredit the opinions and beliefs of his critics over the first 6 weeks of this season.
4. The team having a 5-1 record does not mean fans should completely ignore the underperformance of players on the team, this fan base should know more than anyone that just because something does not affect the regular season win/loss record does not mean that when it really matters it will not bite us in the ass.
5. In the 329 posts prior to this one it has been all excuses, personal attacks, and focusing on the 4.7% of the season after the head injury, NOT one person was able to make a single compelling point to suggest Amendola has proved his critics wrong. Nothing!
6. We have played 37.5% of the season, saying it is too soon to discuss this seems ridiculous to me, if a player has not impressed in with nearly 40% the season complete what exactly should we wait for week 16?
7. Amendola is projecting to play in 8 games and finish with around 40 receptions, 400 yards, 0 touchdowns and is making a reception on just 59% of his targets, if those stats hold true Amendola should be cut in the offseason and replaced, that is not worthy of $5 million and if you think Amendola should be paid $125,000 per reception than all I can say is I disagree.

People need to stop hiding behind the 4.7% of the 6 weeks played after the head injury, opinions should be formed based on the big picture and the 95.3% of the season played prior to that head injury contributes a lot more to the big picture of the first 6 weeks than the 4.7% after.

I tried to drill home the percentages here with the hope that by showing you all that what your trying to make this thread about is less than 5% of the problem, it will likely not resonate and this thread will continue to be centered around the that 4.7% but hey I figured I would give it one more shot.

Many will accept that Amendola has not really proved his worth in 6 weeks. He has played in about 35% of the games so far. It is an obvious enough point to be silly, and not worthy of a thread or discussion. If that acknowledgment is what you crave, then accept it and move on. If the season ends in week 6 (which, by the way, is not half of a season), he is probably a bad investment. The point others have made is it way too early to know if these 6 weeks will be typical of a deal signed through 2017. If you like percentages, what percentage is 6 weeks of 5 years? That would be 2.3%. Tell me, in the investment world, who assesses whether a 5-year deal is good or bad with that diminutive a factual basis? The answer is only a fool. That is the point many have been trying to make, and you seem to ignore.

The timing of your post is awful. If you did not understand the nature of the recent injury, or how your thoughts might be received, then you might want to take a few minutes before you post rather than throwing your random and obvious proposition closely following an injury that has nothing to do with Amendola's history and that is currently a major issue in the NFL. Saying "I would have posted this anyway" doesn't change that fact. If you didn't think through that concern, then you may try that in the future. You are either completely oblivious to the implications of your post, or thought you might get a warmer reception and are now trying to back out and redirect your OP.

Amendola's first game was great. Anyone would admit that. It shows what he can do for the Pats. The next five were injuries or recovering from injuries. What happens for the rest of this season is anyone's guess, and you have no crystal ball other than stating the obvious.

You also decided to tread down that path of how he can play safer, and how he invites injuries. It was that decision that invoked much of the scorn directed to your statements. If you wish to speak as an authority on how to avoid concussions, then I suggest you educate yourself on TBI and concussions, as well as general susceptibility to such injuries, before you critique how players perform on the field. At a minimum, offer your basis for expertise other than your opinion as to what you have gleaned on playing in the NFL from television viewing.

Wait.... we have to wait 2 years on Amendola, but we've got to call Edelman, Dobson, Thompkins and Boyce part of a "really good receiving corps" after 6 weeks, when said receiving corps has mostly been a steaming pile of crap during that time?

Come on, now.

I don't think they are a good receiving unit right now, Gronkowski and Vereen aren't even available, what I was saying is that I think they have many of the pieces to turn into a good receiving corps and that they need to work with them and determine who is going to pan out and who isn't. After this season they need to evaluate all of them and decide who to count on going forward, but imo Gronkowski and Amendola should be considered long term pieces of it.

My view of this has long been that Belichick was trying to reset their receiving corps for the rest of Brady's career, and this is just the infancy of that reset, what changes will need to be made will be decided after the season, i just don't see them getting rid of Amendola in knee jerk fashion.

You can believe what you want deus, I like these guys and think most will pan out. We'll see how it shakes out as time goes on.

Well, unless he gets back on the field against the Jets (highly unlikely) and starts making a lot of catches, he's not coming anywhere near your 85%. I jumped in here in the middle and did not read through the whole thread, but I am not talking about getting rid of him right now. I just question whether he can play at all. He can't take the hits as far as I can see. I am not blaming him - NFL football is obviously a brutal sport and many players don't last more than a few years.

My beef is with the Pats who jettisoned an old reliable who continues on seamlessly in the same role for a rival (seemingly for spite or some little tiff) to sign a guy who is injury prone. Obviously everybody was hoping for the best, but things have reverted to form. I will boldly go out on a limb and predict that Amendola will limp along this year, coming back in a few weeks, then getting hurt again, yada, yada, yada and that he won't be on the team this time next year. It will be because his career has been derailed by a cascade of injuries. Nobody's fault - it is what it is. I am not mad at Amendola - he's obviously trying his best. I am mad at the Pats for a bad move they should have seen coming.

I don't think they are a good receiving unit right now, Gronkowski and Vereen aren't even available, what I was saying is that I think they have many of the pieces to turn into a good receiving corps and that they need to work with them and determine who is going to pan out and who isn't. After this season they need to evaluate all of them and decide who to count on going forward, but imo Gronkowski and Amendola should be considered long term pieces of it.

My view of this has long been that Belichick was trying to reset their receiving corps for the rest of Brady's career, and this is just the infancy of that reset, what changes will need to be made will be decided after the season, i just don't see them getting rid of Amendola in knee jerk fashion.

You can believe what you want deus, I like these guys and think most will pan out. We'll see how it shakes out as time goes on.

My only point was that it was unfair to demand 2 years for a veteran player, while elevating a bunch of rookies after 6 games, particularly given how poorly the offense has played for most of those 6 games.

So, let me see if i have this straight............Danny Amendola gets a concussion so they should cut him and replace him with Austin Collie.

That's the answer....

Smart bunch we have here............

And you can see the entire Forest through the trees.:rolleyes: Austin Collie wasn't signed to sit on the bench. He made two Big Catches when it counted DA was probably singing twinkle...twinkle little stars.

And you can see the entire Forest through the trees.:rolleyes: Austin Collie wasn't signed to sit on the bench. He made two Big Catches when it counted DA was probably singing twinkle...twinkle little stars.

Nobody's signed to sit on the bench. Some guys are signed with the expectation that they'll mostly be sitting on the bench, and Austin Collie is one of those guys.

Well, unless he gets back on the field against the Jets (highly unlikely) and starts making a lot of catches, he's not coming anywhere near your 85%. I jumped in here in the middle and did not read through the whole thread, but I am not talking about getting rid of him right now. I just question whether he can play at all. He can't take the hits as far as I can see. I am not blaming him - NFL football is obviously a brutal sport and many players don't last more than a few years.

My beef is with the Pats who jettisoned an old reliable who continues on seamlessly in the same role for a rival (seemingly for spite or some little tiff) to sign a guy who is injury prone. Obviously everybody was hoping for the best, but things have reverted to form. I will boldly go out on a limb and predict that Amendola will limp along this year, coming back in a few weeks, then getting hurt again, yada, yada, yada and that he won't be on the team this time next year. It will be because his career has been derailed by a cascade of injuries. Nobody's fault - it is what it is. I am not mad at Amendola - he's obviously trying his best. I am mad at the Pats for a bad move they should have seen coming.

Deb, i don't think anyone was more vocal about keeping Welker than I was, but that's water under the bridge now as far as I am concerned, all that matters is what they are doing going forward. Amendola may be compromised this season as a result of his multiple injuries but that's just part of the game, neither injury is related to prior problems so i don't see how the patriots could have recognized this in advance, whereas they could be subject to valid criticism if it were a lingering problem with his shoulder area. Like i said before, give him 2 full seasons then re-evaluate, discussion about releasing him at this point is really premature.

Nobody's signed to sit on the bench. Some guys are signed with the expectation that they'll mostly be sitting on the bench, and Austin Collie is one of those guys.

And that why he was active?:confused:

My only point was that it was unfair to demand 2 years for a veteran player, while elevating a bunch of rookies after 6 games, particularly given how poorly the offense has played for most of those 6 games.

I think you give pretty much any veteran signed in free agency to a long term deal at least 2 years, unless they are unbelievable busts. As for the rookies we have to see how they progress this season and then how they look in camp and pre-season next year. I have a great deal of confidence in Vereen and Gronkowski, and Amendola as well if he can simply stay healthy, and I think Dobson is going to turn into a really good player and give them the bigger downfield threat they need. I also think edelman is turning into a decent receiver but don't know if they will be able to re-sign him this offseason. We'll see how Boyce and Thompkins turn out, i am not sure about either. Obviously however this is just my take on the state of their receiving corps, and there is little to support it statistically, so we will just have to see how it turns out.

Deb, i don't think anyone was more vocal about keeping Welker than I was, but that's water under the bridge now as far as I am concerned, all that matters is what they are doing going forward. Amendola may be compromised this season as a result of his multiple injuries but that's just part of the game, neither injury is related to prior problems so i don't see how the patriots could have recognized this in advance, whereas they could be subject to valid criticism if it were a lingering problem with his shoulder area. Like i said before, give him 2 full seasons then re-evaluate, discussion about releasing him at this point is really premature.

I agree that Welker is water under the bridge and there's nothing we can do about it. I guess the fact that Amendola isn't a big guy and has missed good chunks of two prior seasons, for any injury, in my mind makes him injury prone, even if the new injuries are different. I just question whether he'll even be able to make the team next year. His track record with the Pats so far is not good. Believe me, I wish I felt differently.

I think though most of you hate to admit that BB might have come to the conclusion that DA might be one of those guys who is always going to be injured. BB have drafted a couple ie...Adrien Klemm and Glass-I Dowling so it's not like he's oblivious to the matter. As the OP pointed out DA is not worth $5Mill if he's not going to be on the field.

I was all for the temporary signing of Collie but anyone who thinks he is a long term answer has been paying absolutely no attention whatsoever. he is one good shot to the head away from never playing again, and in all honesty i even wonder how responsible it is to have him out there right now.

Besides, all any player has to do for you to crap all over them is get injured or make one mistake, I have never seen a worse fan in any sport.

I think you give pretty much any veteran signed in free agency to a long term deal at least 2 years, unless they are unbelievable busts. As for the rookies we have to see how they progress this season and then how they look in camp and pre-season next year. I have a great deal of confidence in Vereen and Gronkowski, and Amendola as well if he can simply stay healthy, and I think Dobson is going to turn into a really good player and give them the bigger downfield threat they need. I also think edelman is turning into a decent receiver but don't know if they will be able to re-sign him this offseason. We'll see how Boyce and Thompkins turn out, i am not sure about either. Obviously however this is just my take on the state of their receiving corps, and there is little to support it statistically, so we will just have to see how it turns out.

Is the consensus around here Dopson is better than Thomkins? until Dopson stop dropping easy catchable balls it remains to be seen. Thomkins could have had three more TD's and a ton of yards if Brady threw the Deep ball better. Brady left alot of plays o the Field on Thomkins account already through Six games this season.

I was all for the temporary signing of Collie but anyone who thinks he is a long term answer has been paying absolutely no attention whatsoever. he is one good shot to the head away from never playing again, and in all honesty i even wonder how responsible it is to have him out there right now.

Besides, all any player has to do for you to crap all over them is get injured or make one mistake, I have never seen a worse fan in any sport.

Don't put yourself down like that Ivan losers get ice-cream too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents