PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts to Ponder

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
With the new CBA seemingly close at hand and the rumors of $100-110 million for the cap also there, my questions are these:

1) Would the Pats ask McGinest to restructure?
2) Would the Pats be able to put an adequate deal together to re-sign Vinatieri?
3) Would the Pats put an adequate deal together to re-sign Givens?
4) Would new deals for Branch, Graham, and Koppen take priority over Adam and David?

My thoughts are this:
1) Yes, the Pats would sign McGinest to an extension that would guarantee he'd retire as a Pat.
2) I think that a deal could be done if Adam was willing to take only 2 mill a year.
3) I think that Givens is all but gone.
4) I think that deals for Branch, Graham and Koppen would be a big priority and would get done sooner rather than later.

I am honestly hoping that Givens gets signed to a huge deal. The Pats getting a 3rd round pick as compensation next year would be nice.

DaBruinz said:
I am honestly hoping that Givens gets signed to a huge deal. The Pats getting a 3rd round pick as compensation next year would be nice.

Yazzir!

How would we feel to lose him by merely a few hundred thousand?

flutie2phelan said:
Yazzir!

How would we feel to lose him by merely a few hundred thousand?

Doubt that would happen. Why would he play for a possible 100x crappier team just for a few hundred k?

Last edited:
I doubt it'll make a big difference to current FA, it'll just up the ante for everyone. Hopefully, though, we could shell out some big $$$ to Seymour and Branch to get those two locked in. As they have a year to go, no-one else can make them a big offer and we can lock those two key pieces in.

BelichickFan said:
I doubt it'll make a big difference to current FA, it'll just up the ante for everyone. Hopefully, though, we could shell out some big $$$ to Seymour and Branch to get those two locked in. As they have a year to go, no-one else can make them a big offer and we can lock those two key pieces in.

And who will you surround Branch with if you give him all the money? That means you can't sign Givens, leaving Bethel Johnson starting, and McGrew, Musinski, Z. Smith, and Stone as reserves. Givens is needed as a starter. Brown, Davis, Dwight, or Johnson aren't acceptable in that role, and you'd have insufficient funds to find much else in a weak WR F.A. market. A rookie WR starting in the Patriots' system and suceeding? A long shot.

pats1 said:
And who will you surround Branch with if you give him all the money?
I didn't say we'd give him all the money but enough to make him re-sign. I think Givens is gone. I hope we can get a guy like Moulds at a reasonable price but I'm more worried about keeping Branch than about who'll play second fiddle to him.

pats1 said:
And who will you surround Branch with if you give him all the money? That means you can't sign Givens, leaving Bethel Johnson starting, and McGrew, Musinski, Z. Smith, and Stone as reserves. Givens is needed as a starter. Brown, Davis, Dwight, or Johnson aren't acceptable in that role, and you'd have insufficient funds to find much else in a weak WR F.A. market. A rookie WR starting in the Patriots' system and suceeding? A long shot.

Rookie wide outs you say, succeeding? Hmmmmm ever hear of Givens? Branch? Seems like the way to save cap money and use it to spread throughout the team is to do just that - Draft Wide outs that can be coached up easier than most positions.

fgssand said:
Rookie wide outs you say, succeeding? Hmmmmm ever hear of Givens? Branch? Seems like the way to save cap money and use it to spread throughout the team is to do just that - Draft Wide outs that can be coached up easier than most positions.

As a starter. It was Brown and Patten - even some Hayes early - in 2002.

pats1 said:
Branch had a decent 43 catches his rookie year. Givens' career high was 65 last year. Yes, Givens is better than a Branch-like rookie but FA has several phases and there's a pretty good chance Belioli will find a competent #2 WR. I'm way more worried about getting Branch locked up than who'll be our #2 guy this year.

DaBruinz said:
With the new CBA seemingly close at hand and the rumors of $100-110 million for the cap also there, my questions are these:

2) Would the Pats be able to put an adequate deal together to re-sign Vinatieri?
4) Would new deals for Branch, Graham, and Koppen take priority over Adam and David?

My thoughts are this:
1) Yes, the Pats would sign McGinest to an extension that would guarantee he'd retire as a Pat.
2) I think that a deal could be done if Adam was willing to take only 2 mill a year.
3) I think that Givens is all but gone.
4) I think that deals for Branch, Graham and Koppen would be a big priority and would get done sooner rather than later.

You forgot using the extra $ to sign Big Sey and FAs. Otherwise, you're on target.

Bye Adam - let someone else overpay you
Bye Givens - thanks for your service and best wishes in the future
Willie - restructure, but here's a nice signing bonu$

P.S. I don't think the cap will go THAT high

BelichickFan said:
Branch had a decent 43 catches his rookie year. Givens' career high was 65 last year. Yes, Givens is better than a Branch-like rookie but FA has several phases and there's a pretty good chance Belioli will find a competent #2 WR. I'm way more worried about getting Branch locked up than who'll be our #2 guy this year.

That doesn't seem the "Patriot" way, though. Spread the wealth. Don't focus on the best/most important to disregard the supporting cast.

PatsWickedPissah said:
You forgot using the extra $ to sign Big Sey and FAs. Otherwise, you're on target.

Miguel has the same likely cap numbers listed.

pats1 said:

Branch started 7 games, caught about 50 balls and gained about 500 yards - true, it took another year for Givens to contribute. My point though is the same, draft WR's as opposed to paying big bucks for that skill position.

pats1 said:
That doesn't seem the "Patriot" way, though. Spread the wealth. Don't focus on the best/most important to disregard the supporting cast.
Branch is not nearly as important as Brady but they gave Tom a monster deal which will cost others. Although Branch isn't a true #1 WR he's the #2 most important guy on the offense to me.

BelichickFan said:
Branch is not nearly as important as Brady but they gave Tom a monster deal which will cost others. Although Branch isn't a true #1 WR he's the #2 most important guy on the offense to me.

QB is a little different than WR, but I'd like to see Branch locked up.

DaBruinz said:

1) Yes, I think it would be a 3 year deal with a guaranteed bonus that would ensure he doesn't lose any money that he other wise would have earned this season, with possibly a 4th year added on to stretch the bonus money.

2) I think I am the minority from what I have read around here. I think Adam is staying with 4 year 2+ million a year average. I don't think he would leave here for another city because of the local revenue he can generate through endorsements that wouldn't be there for him in another city. If he retires here he would have a lifetime of endorsements. That to me wouldn't be worth giving up, even for a million or so a year more which he may or may not get due to how many quality kickers are on the market.

3) I think some team will offer him a huge payday. I don't think he is going to stick around.

4) Hopefully, I would also like to see big Sey get taken care of right away as well. Lock him up for 6 years or so.

BelichickFan said:

Again, you can have two of the best players as your two most important players, but if there's no competent supporting cast, it's worthless. I thought we'd know that, as fans of the Patriots and all...

Last edited:
pats1 said:
Again, you can have two of the best players as your two most important players, but if there's no competent supporting cast, it's worthless. I thought we'd know that, as fans of the Patriots and all...
You are way overstating what I meant. I don't think we would have to pay Branch so much that it would hurt our ability to have a strong team. But some room under the cap would allow us to throw a bundle at Seymour and also enough to sign Branch to avoid him getting to FA like Givens is. There comes a time when you have to pick out a few guys to pay and Branch is one of them to me.

PatsWickedPissah said:

Actually, I forgot Richard, but I didn't forget the others. See #4.

DaBruinz said:
Actually, I forgot Richard, but I didn't forget the others. See #4.

I agree with your #4. I meant OTHER team's FAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News