PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

They Key To BB Drafts

Status
Not open for further replies.
arrellbee said:
By the way, while we are talking about low draft picks - specifically 6th and 7th round picks, we only have out of those rounds Brady, Pass, and Banta-Cain - plus question marks of Cassell and Claridge.

And from the undrafted rookies, we have
Paxton, Neal, and Gay.
Except for QBs (which is huge), arguably we do about as well with undrafted rookies as we do with 6th/7th rounders. Still to be determined as undrafted rookies are
Mruczkowski, Alexander, Wright, Ventrone, and Thomas
Wright and Mruc are proven as situational players and solid reserves. Thomas was a FA vice UDFA as I recall. Cassell making the roster as a reserve QB is proven for a 7th. Claridge was a 5th :cool: .

7 rounds. For a pro starter, maybe a 10 year career. (We're not talking that "average career" - we're talking the number of years a guy could play if permitted to by an NFL team.) So if all our picks worked out, we'd have 70 guys on the roster, minus departures, plus free agents. So would everybody else.

It's not surprising that late-rounders don't work out, and I don't know if there is another team with a better record on spotting the gems in those rounds. The amazing thing isn't that there are few late rounders, it's that we're six-for-six on first-rounders. And what really gives me warm and fuzzies is the entire defensive line has yet to hit its prime.

I agree we'll be talking about different names next monday than we're discussing today ("forget round 1.") I do think whoever BB takes in round 1 will be very likely to be able to contribute... but the real fun will be in opening the present Christmas morning, checking out who these new guys are, how they'll be used, etc.

PFnV

More easily said than done...

AJ,

You talked about what "most teams do" in both case 1 and 2. Frankly, I have seen too many clubs NOT do the relatively straighrt forward case 2 very well.

Think back to Grier and Parcells (Shopping for groceries...) or Grier and Carroll. The Coaches had a scheme and the GM/draft director chose players that he thought were good, even if they did not fit the Coaches scheme.

Talk about round pegs in square holes.

San Diego is a club right now that is experiencing the Coach - GM warfare. AJ and Schotzy are in a war; Losing a starting QB that won 11 games for nothing, is just something that happens in such a war. In a word, DUMB!

Getting a Coaches scheme and FO player acquisition in the draft, trades or FA pickups in coordination, seems easy enough but how come its so difficult ?

Box_O_Rocks said:
Claridge was a 5th
Thanks. Don't know how that crept into my spreadsheet.

arrellbee said:
question marks of Cassell
1. It's Cassel

2. You didn't watch any preseason games or see him and the third string offense against the Phins first string defense (2TD, 0 INT). What questions do still you have about him that you don't think he was a good 6th round pick?

3. You don't think Givens was a good pick in the seventh round?

Last edited:
spacecrime said:
1. It's Cassel

2. You didn't watch any preseason games or see him and the third string offense against the Phins first string defense (2TD, 0 INT). What questions do still you have about him that you don't think he was a good 6th round pick?

3. You don't think Givens was a good pick in the seventh round?
Apologies to Cassel for the spelling. Thanks for the heads-up. First of all, I think it was a great pick - whether he turns out to ever be a starter or not. Pretty savvy consideration by Belichick et al. I like him, enjoyed watching him very much, and would love to see him be a solid QB, even a starter - dare we even dream about him being the next Brady. I watched all of the preseason and the Dolphins' games. For a QB who hasn't started any games or thrown many passes in real games, he pretty much showed what Belichick et al saw as a possibility. I didn't see any particular negatives and a lot that looked solid. (Unlike our friend Davey). So I am really looking forward to seeing him this year - IN PRESEASON GAMES and I hope maybe some garbage time. For obvious reasons, I would not like to see him have to start any games this year !! But I think you would have to drink some awfully strong kool-aid to think we know yet how he is going to turn out - so, yes, I think there are still questions.

Givens was a great pick in the 7th round and certainly became a solid #2 starting WR.
?? ?? But he isn't here anymore ?? ??

Thanks for the feedback !!

Last edited:
You can say that again.

PatsFanInVa said:
7 rounds. For a pro starter, maybe a 10 year career. (We're not talking that "average career" - we're talking the number of years a guy could play if permitted to by an NFL team.) So if all our picks worked out, we'd have 70 guys on the roster, minus departures, plus free agents. So would everybody else.

It's not surprising that late-rounders don't work out, and I don't know if there is another team with a better record on spotting the gems in those rounds. The amazing thing isn't that there are few late rounders, it's that we're six-for-six on first-rounders. And what really gives me warm and fuzzies is the entire defensive line has yet to hit its prime.

I agree we'll be talking about different names next monday than we're discussing today ("forget round 1.") I do think whoever BB takes in round 1 will be very likely to be able to contribute... but the real fun will be in opening the present Christmas morning, checking out who these new guys are, how they'll be used, etc.

PFnV

I like your comment about the D-line not yet reaching its prime but there are two other squads in the same category.

The O-Line is just as young if not younger and probably even deeper. Light, Mnkins, Koppen, Neal, Gorin, Britt, Kaczur, Tucker, Hochstein, Mruczkowski and Yates total 12 without the longsahots PSers. Its not populated with #1s; the Pats braintrust apparently wants to populate it with round 2-4 type guys, figuring that that is satisfactoryand fits the budget of a SB contender. But there are three LTs who can play the position in the NFL in Light, Kaczur and Mankins. That is the definition of a good O-line.

The other squad is the secondary. The youngsters Asante, Gay, Hobbs, Poteat, Scott, Wilson, Sanders and Mitchell number 8 and a couple of the "oldies" are still under thirty as well like Hawkins. They have definetly not reached their prime, but I feel its a a whole lot better than people perceive right now.

Heck, the ex-starter reserves aren't bad all by themselves. A DB crew of Warfield, Scott, Harrison, Hawkins, & Tebucky is better than a lot of clubs could field as a first team.

BB is STILL building and the best Patriots squad ever, has not yet taken the field.

Ochmed Jones said:
I don't think BB and/or Pioli are different from any other decision makers on any other team. They have a system( scheme, whatever you want to call it.) That system requires players with certain skill sets. BB's job is to find the best players he can that fit that skill set. I don't think he cares where the players come from, FA, the draft, trades, Canada, Europe or even college wrestlers. All he cares about is finding the right player (at the right price of course) Pretty much the same thing the other 31 teams are trying to do.

I think the reason he has picked so many DL players so early in the draft is because they are the building blocks of his defense, and they are very hard to find. And these last couple of drafts have afforded him the opportunity to get the type of DL players he wants. If the players weren't there, he would have moved on to other positions. At the end of the day, a lot of DT's can play in a 4 man line, however very few DT's can play NT in a 3 man line, or DE in a 3 man line.

I believe that BB would love to run the double TE offense as much as possible, in order to do that he needs 3 TE's that can block a little and get open in the seams. He's not there yet, but I think he'll keep drafting one or two in every draft until he hits with 3 that can do the job.

The one thing that I think BB and/or Pioli do that is so different from other teams is that they actually DO stay true to their draft board. All the teams say they do it, but very few actually do. (Pittsburgh stays true also.) BB has the courage to take a player regardless of what anybody else thinks (I think he could care less what the "draftniks" or ESPN commentators say.) How else do you explain some his odd selections. (overdrafting some would say) Brock Wiliams in the third. Hobbs in the third, Branch and Bethel in the second, etc, etc. etc.

In contrast to what others think, I think he values every pick in every round as an asset, an asset that has value and is versatile. It can be cashed for a player, or traded for other teams players, or even traded for future draft picks. His job is to get the best possible return for each asset. Sometimes that requires him to to perform a risk/reward analysis on players. (The asset is worth "X". If BB takes player "Y" and player "Y" performs in the system as expected, the return worth more than "X" therefore it is justified. - Givens and Cassels for example. If the player doesn't work out, the cost of "X" is forfieted on lost potential, Turner for example.)

The key to understanding how BB drafts is in understanding his system. What is required assignment wise on each position dictates what types of skill sets are needed from a player to best fill that position. In looking at the defense, I think I can predict the assignements of the DL on any given play with about 95% accuracy. Except for Big Mike, I think most anybody on this board could as well. At the LB level my percent drops to 65% and in the secondary, maybe 40% on a good day. Throw in nickel and dime backs and the percents drop even further. The point he is that BB knows what he needs for those assignments and we don't. When he scouts a player, he tries to project that player into the skill sets he desires. We can take the bit of knowledge we've gleamed from observation and project based on that also. But that didn't help any of us get Mankins in the first round last year. And even back a few years, 90% of us were howling for WR David Terrel, few were howling for "the beast" (Seymour).

I'll throw in one more variable. The oddball who doesn't meet a lot of the skill sets that BB desires, but somehow has that certain something that is so valuable, that it causes BB to toss the skil set required sheet aside for that player. Two perfect examples are Brady and Bruschi. Impossible to predict until you get them in your clubhouse.

The bottom line is the past years of actual games and drafts have afforded us a glimspe into how BB thinks. We use that knowledge to shrink the pool of potential draftees. I think every year we are getting better. How many times this year did someone put a player on thier mock only to have someone else say that that player was not a BB type player. As long as BB stays in New England, we'll get better and better at it. Why? Because BB he has to stay true to his draft board, which is based on his sytem, which we see on display for 3 plus hous every Sunday for 16 plus weeks every year.

Where the difference lies is that the system BB runs is more unusual than usual in the NFL.
Look at LBs for example. Most teams was 230 lb speed LBs. Their systems dictate that the job of the DL is to keep blockers off the LBs. You need a guy who can take advantage of that and run to the ball. In our system they need to take on blockers, and 2gap them in the running game. The DL is not at all designed to keep blockers off the LBs. Therefore the small fast LB doesnt work in our system, but the bigger guy who can shed blocks doesnt need as much speed--he isnt required to cover as much ground so quickly.
The 'pass rushing' DE who cannot play the run is loved by many teams, but cannot fit in here. The big DE who can take on blockers and play strong run D, but isnt lightning fast as a pass rusher is what we want.

All in all, there are taleted players who will fit both systems, but if you get deeper in the draft, at say DE, other teams have focussed on the pass rushers, so the guy we want as a run stopper is more likely to fall. We get equal value later, i.e. our guy in the 4th is as good at what we need as 'their guy' in the 3rd, because there is more demand for pass rushers.

As far as the DL we have built, I disagree that BBs system is built around the DL. This is the first time ever a BB coached team has had a great DL. Look at the Giant teams, the Browns, and Jets. He built a DL with maostly non-descript 2 gap run defenders. What I believe has happened here is that the BPA in 3 drafts were DL that were good enough to be #1s here, there or anywhere. In the end we built a great DL, because of what was available, not because we set out to.
That was my point, at certain postions, it just so happens that there are many excellent players that have BOTH the skillsets we value and that other teams value. That doesnt happen a lot at OL, WR, LB etc in round 1, but has happened at DL, and is likely to happen in the secondary.

If you look at BBs requirements (I'd love to read the Patriot scouting guide referenced in PAtriot Reign--the one that says the Pats description of a ideal QB is eerily what Brady has become--I think you would find that the positions where flat out athletic ability is most important is DL (strength) CB (speed and agility) and TE (you need a combination of both).
At WR for example, BB clearly values quickness and cutting ability over flat out speed and size. Almost every other team has it reversed. That is why we arent drafting WRs in the 1st....the guys we would have rated very close include guys that will absolutely fall to the 2nd because the skills other teams value more cause the other players to come off the board.
Clearly a player with ALL of that would be valuable to us. But if you are choosing between the 2 skillsets, and almost every other team prefers the set you don't its silly to not take the guy who falls, because the one who falls is actually the one who fits your system best.

I agree every team has a system that they draft players based on, but the difference is that our system is much less popular so we find players that fit it in later rounds than other teams do.
It certainly helps that we do a good job of scouting as well.

AndyJohnson said:
Where the difference lies is that the system BB runs is more unusual than usual in the NFL.
Look at LBs for example. Most teams was 230 lb speed LBs. Their systems dictate that the job of the DL is to keep blockers off the LBs. You need a guy who can take advantage of that and run to the ball. In our system they need to take on blockers, and 2gap them in the running game. The DL is not at all designed to keep blockers off the LBs. Therefore the small fast LB doesnt work in our system, but the bigger guy who can shed blocks doesnt need as much speed--he isnt required to cover as much ground so quickly.
The 'pass rushing' DE who cannot play the run is loved by many teams, but cannot fit in here. The big DE who can take on blockers and play strong run D, but isnt lightning fast as a pass rusher is what we want.

All in all, there are taleted players who will fit both systems, but if you get deeper in the draft, at say DE, other teams have focussed on the pass rushers, so the guy we want as a run stopper is more likely to fall. We get equal value later, i.e. our guy in the 4th is as good at what we need as 'their guy' in the 3rd, because there is more demand for pass rushers.

As far as the DL we have built, I disagree that BBs system is built around the DL. This is the first time ever a BB coached team has had a great DL. Look at the Giant teams, the Browns, and Jets. He built a DL with maostly non-descript 2 gap run defenders. What I believe has happened here is that the BPA in 3 drafts were DL that were good enough to be #1s here, there or anywhere. In the end we built a great DL, because of what was available, not because we set out to.
That was my point, at certain postions, it just so happens that there are many excellent players that have BOTH the skillsets we value and that other teams value. That doesnt happen a lot at OL, WR, LB etc in round 1, but has happened at DL, and is likely to happen in the secondary.

If you look at BBs requirements (I'd love to read the Patriot scouting guide referenced in PAtriot Reign--the one that says the Pats description of a ideal QB is eerily what Brady has become--I think you would find that the positions where flat out athletic ability is most important is DL (strength) CB (speed and agility) and TE (you need a combination of both).
At WR for example, BB clearly values quickness and cutting ability over flat out speed and size. Almost every other team has it reversed. That is why we arent drafting WRs in the 1st....the guys we would have rated very close include guys that will absolutely fall to the 2nd because the skills other teams value more cause the other players to come off the board.
Clearly a player with ALL of that would be valuable to us. But if you are choosing between the 2 skillsets, and almost every other team prefers the set you don't its silly to not take the guy who falls, because the one who falls is actually the one who fits your system best.

I agree every team has a system that they draft players based on, but the difference is that our system is much less popular so we find players that fit it in later rounds than other teams do.
It certainly helps that we do a good job of scouting as well.

Isn't your description of LB/DE charcteristics true of most teams whose base defense is the 3-4? Aren't many other teams starting to employ it?
Isn't our preference for WR's based more on the abilities of our QB to spread the ball around than anything else? QB's who aren't capable of going to the 3rd or 4th checkdown need a T.O. or a Steve Smith. Tommy doesn't.
While I appreciate BB's approach of assuming a need for a strong middle class of players, and, no doubt, it has served us well, IMO we need an upgrade in the gene pool in some areas to compete in the coming season. LB corps, secondary, (I'm just not sold on the guys coming back who have been IR'ed, especially those who have been out 2 seasons), O-line, (maybe less so, but still a concern). These are the areas I'd like to see addressed on the first day.

Our own division is going to be a greater challenge than it was last yr, and there are two teams who are going to be going for the same type of players we are. Others around the league will as well. IMO, we shouldn't be trading down, but going for quality, not quantity this year.

Assuming that what we have is a secret is a mistake, IMO. There will be more than one trying to beat us at our own game in this copy-cat league.

Last edited:
I hear what you are saying Andy, but I'm not sure I agree with some of what you are saying.
BB's defensive system is made up of hundreds of assignments per play spread across 11 players based on what the opposing offense is doing. I've never heard BB say that a 230 lb. LB could not play in his system. If there was ever a 230 lb. LB out there that could execute all the assignments required of BB's system, I'm sure that player would be on BB's draft board. I think Patriot reign mentioned that Vilma was on BB's draft board.
I think the Giants had a whale of a good DL during Parcells/BB years there. Burt, Marshall, Howard, etc. They may not have gotten the heavy publicity because a 3-4 DL if he's doing his job, goes nearly unnoticed as the LBs clean up most plays. BB's DL in Cleveland was not special, I'm not sure how much we can correlate that to his non-winning record out there. But I'm sure it helped contribute to the mess.
If you look at the 3-4 defense, it all starts with the DL. They are key to stopping the run and making opposing offenses 1 dimensional.
You talk about Brady fitting the Pats QB profile now, but he's been molded into that to a certrain extent. The footwork, throwing motion and read progressions were all spoon feed to him. Granted he has the extraordinary ability to pick it up very well. The Brady of today is mechanically almost 100% different than the Brady in college.
I'm not so sure BB has that great a day 2 track record. His day one is superb, but day 2 doesn't pop nearly as much.
BB places value on WR's quickness and presice route running. There's way more to precise route running than cutting ability. You have to factor in footwork going into and coming out of the break, no stutter steps, false steps or wasted motion, balance and most importantly, Pats WRs have to read defenses prior to and at the snap of the ball so intelligence plays a huge role in presice route running.
I think that the front seven on any 3-4 defense is almost interchangable from team to team. Ninety percent of the play is the same regardless of the system. The real key is the secondary play and the assignments between the second and third levels. That's where BB's system is really different from other 3-4 defenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft