PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Steelers scored a lot of points...should it be a point of concern?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course. This is New England. We can never enjoy a win completely without a "yeah, but". If the score had been 55-0, it would have been, "Yeah, but we should have scored 56..."

I do not know how to second this post more than I have...if I did I would...it's getting outrageous here

Of course. This is New England. We can never enjoy a win completely without a "yeah, but". If the score had been 55-0, it would have been, "Yeah, but we should have scored 56..."

The Steelers have failed to score even 20 points in 5 of their 8 games this season. The 31 points they put up against the Patriots was a season high, and only the second time they'd scored more than 23 points. Someone who didn't see much of the game, such as the O.P., would have a perfectly valid concern in asking about the defense.

I do not know how to second this post more than I have...if I did I would...it's getting outrageous here
Thanks. For one of the few times in my life, I'm pretty much at a loss for words. Yeah, but...

The Steelers have failed to score even 20 points in 5 of their 8 games this season. The 31 points they put up against the Patriots was a season high, and only the second time they'd scored more than 23 points. Someone who didn't see much of the game, such as the O.P., would have a perfectly valid concern in asking about the defense.
And I'm sure, as with every other possible subject here or anywhere else, you're the perfect person to provide her/him with all of the correct answers to her/his valid concerns.

And I'm sure, as with every other possible subject here or anywhere else, you're the perfect person to provide her/him with all of the correct answers to her/his valid concerns.

...says a person who's full of 'correct answers' and smartass retorts berating others for their positions on subject after subject. Enjoy your glass house.

Ridley doesn't get striped and the punt coverage team makes a tackle they may have only allowed 17 points. Those two plays had the steelers starting on the Pats side of the field at the 36 and 46.

That's a tough thing for most teams, let alone this banged up one.

...says a person who's full of 'correct answers' and smartass retorts berating others for their positions on subject after subject. Enjoy your glass house.
The inherent irony of your response is overwhelming.

I'm not saying it wasn't a bad performance but it was aided by 2 possessions starting in our territory and the Steelers scoring a late one where it looked like we were in a prevent type defense once the game was getting out of hand. Plus, let's not forget how good the D was early on when we needed them to be, forcing a turnover on the first series after a ST breakdown put us in bad shape. Then a turnover in Steeler territory to set up a TD. Also our pass rush looked excellent at times and was all over Big Ben on a number of plays. It was a poor performance but not AS poor as it looked.

And as mentioned the injuries played a huge role. I hope that Arrington's groin is carefully monitored because even when put in outside duty this season he hasn't been nearly as bad as he's been in the past couple weeks. If Talib is ready after the bye, I say give Arrington a week or two off and come back full strength. With Talib/Dennard/Ryan (and would it be asking too much for a look at Asomugha?) the CB situation is still pretty good especially if the pass rush is as strong as recently.

the start of the 2nd half was a little troublesome with the offense giving the steelers a short field and 25 yard plus runs in each of those TD drives.

the defense did OK given the patchwork. the run game will improve as sopoaga gets up to speed.

I like what I saw in fletcher......the pats will miss mayo, but the LB group is still fairly solid.

7-2 at the bye with guys coming back after.

Tough to blame the defense when the special teams and offense were giving the steelers great field position all game.

Thanks. For one of the few times in my life, I'm pretty much at a loss for words. Yeah, but...

I think it's a valid concern, going forward. It's possible to thoroughly enjoy the win while worrying about what will happen if key pieces either remain out or get injured again while playing a better offense. That's pretty much exactly what I'm doing.

Other than Arrington/Ryan getting toasted, though, I didn't see any reason to be discouraged on D. I thought Gregory made some bad decisions in run support, and of course his injury is a concern, but for the most part I thought the Pats did their job pretty well. I continue to be frustrated by the fact that they give up huge gains on 3rd-and-long screens, and seeing Brandon Spikes line up in man coverage stresses me way the hell out, but I've just kind of accepted that these things happen sometimes.

3rd and 30 and they gave up 29 yards. Steelers then go for it on 4th and short and make the conversion. That's the only series that really stood out to me. The defense has room for improvement. But hopefully we get Talib back after the bye. And hopefully Ninkovich was not hurt longterm. That should help a lot.

Steelers are a tough match-up for the Talib-less Pats D. They have three very good WRs, including Cotchery, who owns NE and has for years.

Now, if Talib isn't around for Denver, you had better hope we score 60!

Need Talib back and they'll have to work on shoring up the run defense over the break. Not concerned until it becomes a trend, anyone can have a bad game on defense.

The inherent irony of your response is overwhelming.

Given that I was pointing out the hypocrisy of your statement, rather than claiming I was somehow a meek innocent, I'll put this down to you not knowing the "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" saying.

"It was good to put some points on the board and be more efficient offensively than what we've been the last couple weeks," coach Bill Belichick said Monday. "But defensively, we gave up 31 points and most weeks that won't get it done. There's certainly a lot of room for improvement on that side of the ball."

Patriots' defense needs work after 55-31 win | Boston Herald

Given that I was pointing out the hypocrisy of your statement, rather than claiming I was somehow a meek innocent, I'll put this down to you not knowing the "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" saying.
In that case, Tommy John surgery would be no more debilitating to you than a hangnail...

In that case, Tommy John surgery would be no more debilitating to you than a hangnail...

And another example of the hypocrisy....

Amazed at your misinterpretation of the views of those wondering how and why the Steelers, who haven't scored that many points in the previous games, managed to score their highest when playing us.

While some posters give the background and point to key issues (such as the strip, bad ST plays, missing Talib etc), you twisted the query and made it look as if the OP and others are cribbing about the margin of victory. And this in turn prompted others to chime in their two cents on your claim, which could be legitimate one but totally unconnected to this topic and certainly not what the OP is talking about.

I think you would do excellent in politics. :D

3rd and 30 really ticked me off royally, but that was not a deep pass, oddly enough, just running free and clear in open space. I'd like to learn what awful things happened there to get them 29.5 yards. They then converted on 4th and inches.

Two players broke the same way to cover the same side of the field when the call/alignment was for one to go one way and the other the other.

Plus there was a missed tackle in the open field by the second level after about 15 yards which allowed the Cochery to almost get a first down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes