PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Steelers scored a lot of points...should it be a point of concern?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Defense plays great, offense plays poorly ~ lots of complaining
Offense plays great, defense plays poorly ~ fans rejoice

That is my general observation of not only this site but most people I talk to. Frankly I don't understand it. For years we have witnessed great offense / poor defensive teams come up short in the playoffs. I'm certainly concerned about our defensive performance against Pitt.

The good news is if we can get and stay healthy (specifically Talib, Amendola and Gronk, and yes that's big if) we will be the class of the AFC.

The offense may have to carry the defense in the second half now. Immediately after they bye we will be challenge by Carolina (strong run team) and the Broncos (strong pass team).

I think it's a valid concern, going forward. It's possible to thoroughly enjoy the win while worrying about what will happen if key pieces either remain out or get injured again while playing a better offense. That's pretty much exactly what I'm doing.

I gotta quote this. None of us here aren't happy about the win, and we're not saying our team sucks. We're not Broncos fans, who boo their team just because the game isn't a ****** blowout. But like other people have said, Steelers had their highest scoring game against us, and looking forward, with more defense injuries piling up here, unless we plan on scoring 40-50 in the next few games (especially against the Denver Little Ponies), we're gonna be in serious trouble.

Concerned?

Sure, I have to be, but not because of Sunday's game which was a blow out and a bunch of points sometimes get scored on both sides of the ball in a blowout.

The Pats have the #29 overall D in the league, 31st against the rush and 22nd against the pass. If I'm not "concerned," I'm brain dead.

Yes and no...sure the defense didn't look to great against the steelers..but we didn't have any season ending injuries and were playing without 6 starters

If talib, ninkovich, gregory come back and sopoaga gets more in tune with the defense we will be fine

Talib is the x factor because he is to our defense what gronk is to our offense.

Concerned?

Sure, I have to be, but not because of Sunday's game which was a blow out and a bunch of points sometimes get scored on both sides of the ball in a blowout.

The Pats have the #29 overall D in the league, 31st against the rush and 22nd against the pass. If I'm not "concerned," I'm brain dead.

OK, who cares about overall defense? Points scored is what matters.

That said, I'm a little concerned. Allowing PIT to score on each side of the half bothers me. Only one TD was really a garbage time TD too.

Concerned?

Brain dead it is. Because rankings aren't based on total yards, they are based on yards per game.

So they are #19 overall in defense, #13 against the pass, #30 against the run, #8 in points allowed, t-#4 in takeaways.

Run defense should get at least slightly better with Sopoaga, he's already shown that he can be a factor in it. And if Talib comes back and plays at 70 percent of what he was playing at the pass defense will be better then it was on Sunday.

That said, I'm a little concerned. Allowing PIT to score on each side of the half bothers me. Only one TD was really a garbage time TD too.

I agree to a point.

In the end, as Bill Parcells often says, "You are what your record says you are." In this case the Pats have scored enough points and given up few enough points to be 7--2, which is "what they are." However, I am concerned that the profile of their D, at this time, is also not that of a team that will go deep into January.

So,I think we are probably both not a lot "concerned" as to whether they will win their Division. However, I am more than a "little concerned" about how the current situation suggests this will end.

Bill Belichick apparently cares about overall defense. :bricks:

Brain dead it is. Because rankings aren't based on total yards, they are based on yards per game.

So they are #19 overall in defense, #13 against the pass, #30 against the run, #8 in points allowed, t-#4 in takeaways.

Run defense should get slightly better with Sopoaga, he's already shown that he can be a factor in it. And if Talib comes back and plays at 80 percent of what he was playing at that will be better than what we saw on Sunday.

You're entitled to your opinion as to the status of my "brain." I've taught statistics at the Graduate School level and know that we can slice these numbers and dice these numbers any way we want. 29th overall in the league is still 29th overall in the league. http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

Factoring in Talib's return requires also thinking about unknown others who might or might not "go down," especially given the Pats history this season (for example, I'm delighted that Brady got a good game out of Amendola on Sunday...now let's see if he can stay on the field two or three games in a row). In other words, I evaluate Talib's return as a wash because "stuff happens" that might (or might not) affect other players.

Does that mean the Pats won't win the Division? Absolutely not. They are 7--2 and should end up around 11--5 maybe even 12--4.

Does that mean that I am "concerned" about where a team with their profile ends up in January. Absolutely yes. I will have a much clearer view on the level of my "concern" after the next four or five games.

That 1st TD of the first half came from 35 yards out after Ridley got stripped. I'll give a defense that has 5-6 rookies seeing decent playing time because of injury a slight pass on allowing a short field TD. Ya it's not good but it's not their fault the steelers started at the 35.

Maybe if Ridley doesn't get stripped Pats go down and get 3 points or at the very least punt it away and pin the steelers inside their 20 or 30 yard line and maybe that TD never happens.

I just think momentum shifted a little bit after the Ridley fumble. The first half the steelers only managed 10 points, got the strip and the punt return that set them up on the Pats side of the field for those two short field TD.

But then the Pats took back the momentum and the D did stop them on two drives allowing only 13 yards and allowing the offense to get it to a 41-24 lead. Then they had that let off drive that brought it to 41-31.

With Gregory and Ninkovich they allowed one long TD drive in the game. That 2nd short field TD came after Gregory went out of the game.

Yes they have to shore up some stuff but with how many injuries they've had and with 6 rookies seeing playing time on the defense, if they can stay away from short field situations they maybe alright.

You're entitled to your opinion as to the status of my "brain." I've taught statistics at the Graduate School level and know that we can slice these numbers and dice these numbers any way we want. 29th overall in the league is still 29th overall in the league. 2013 NFL Team Total Stats - National Football League - ESPN

Factoring in Talib's return requires also thinking about unknown others who might or might not "go down," especially given the Pats history this season (for example, I'm delighted that Brady got a good game out of Amendola on Sunday...now let's see if he can stay on the field two or three games in a row). In other words, I evaluate Talib's return as a wash because "stuff happens" that might (or might not) affect other players.

Does that mean the Pats won't win the Division? Absolutely not. They are 7--2 and should end up around 11--5 maybe even 12--4.

Does that mean that I am "concerned" about where a team with their profile ends up in January. Absolutely yes. I will have a much clearer view on the level of my "concern" after the next four or five games.

Why are you going off of total yards?

Of the first 16 teams above NE that have allowed less yardage, 11 of them have only played 8 games. That's why the ranking is based on yards per game.

This is not an opinion this is 100 percent fact and you are completely wrong on this.

But I guess if you continue to think you are right feel free next week when ESPN updates the total yards after Week 10 to see the Patriots ranking in total yards rise.

Bill Belichick apparently cares about overall defense. :bricks:

That's a bit of a leap. I'm not saying I'm okay with the other team's offense going 70 yards every drive and kicking a field goal. It's just kind of ridiculous that points allowed is a sidebar in the defensive rankings.

FWIW, PIT is pretty high up in the rankings in terms of passing defense, but NE basically did what they wanted on offense, particularly in the passing game.

Statistically, the NE pass rush is up there, but I'm not sure I'm confident in getting pressure in the clutch.

That's a bit of a leap. I'm not saying I'm okay with the other team's offense going 70 yards every drive and kicking a field goal. It's just kind of ridiculous that points allowed is a sidebar in the defensive rankings.

FWIW, PIT is pretty high up in the rankings in terms of passing defense, but NE basically did what they wanted on offense, particularly in the passing game.

Statistically, the NE pass rush is up there, but I'm not sure I'm confident in getting pressure in the clutch.

I think everything should be considered and not just one thing that the defense is doing well at the time. For example, in 2011, a lot of people were on here saying that yards allowed doesn't matter and screaming "POINTS!!!", at the top of their lungs. Through Week 4 this year, those same people were noting the improvements in the defense using yards as the primary barometer. In general, though, less yards allowed usually leads to less points since you have to get yards to score points. The Pats defense, through the 1/4 mark, was doing an outstanding job of limiting yards and points. Injuries have set them back, but the pass defense should be back to where it was once Talib is back.

Why are you going off of total yards?

Of the first 16 teams above NE that have allowed less yardage, 11 of them have only played 8 games. That's why the ranking is based on yards per game.

This is not an opinion this is 100 percent fact and you are completely wrong on this.

But I guess if you continue to think you are right feel free next week when ESPN updates the total yards after Week 10 to see the Patriots ranking in total yards rise.

Once again, we can slice and dice these numbers any way we want. If you look at the eight other teams that had played nine games through week nine, only two had given up more yards than the Pats. As for Yards per Game, yes I do understand fifth grade math, but 19th doesn't get me all that excited.

The valid point to be made in response to my argument is that the Pats have done well in Points allowed, 12th overall and 9th in Points Per Game. That's why they are 7--2. They are very well-coached and their Defense has usually come through when it had to do so.

However, that's all beside the point here. The question posed in this thread and the question that I was addressing was not about the past but whether I was "concerned" going forward.

As I said to another poster above, I'm not concerned that they will win the Division; barring disaster, they will.

I am, however, concerned that their D does not present the profile of a team that goes deep into January, which is the standard by which they asked to be judged. As I also said above, we'll know a lot more about that in the next five or six weeks. I think I'll stand by that distinction.

We're just talking past each other now, so I'm done here.

I'm less concerned than I was in 2010, 2011, or 2012. The secondary, even without Talib, is so much better, and it's making our front seven better, even with the walking wounded. The secondary probably had its worst game of the season Sunday.

Once again, we can slice and dice these numbers any way we want. If you look at the eight other teams that had played nine games through week nine, only two had given up more yards than the Pats. As for Yards per Game, yes I do understand fifth grade math, but 19th doesn't get me all that excited.

The valid point to be made in response to my argument is that the Pats have done well in Points allowed, 12th overall and 9th in Points Per Game. That's why they are 7--2. They are very well-coached and their Defense has usually come through when it had to do so.

However, that's all beside the point here. The question posed in this thread and the question that I was addressing was not about the past but whether I was "concerned" going forward.

As I said to another poster above, I'm not concerned that they will win the Division; barring disaster, they will.

I am, however, concerned that their D does not present the profile of a team that goes deep into January, which is the standard by which they asked to be judged. As I also said above, we'll know a lot more about that in the next five or six weeks. I think I'll stand by that distinction.

We're just talking past each other now, so I'm done here.

D38aHvw.gif

Played well on d in the first half. things fell apart a little bit in the second half, which coincided with some poor play by an injured Arrington and the loss of their 5th and 6th defensive starters of the year.

I think we can hold every team in the league under 24 pts, including Denver, with Talib, Arrington, Nink, and Gregory back healthy.

Yep, it's a concern, but there isn't much we can do about it except coach up who's left, pray we get some guys back, and hope for the best.

I'm less concerned with the 31 points and more concerned with some signs of trouble (IMO):

1) The 3rd and 30 given up

2) The fact that the defense played its worst when the offense struggled.

Those are both things that have happened the last few years, but WEREN'T happening so far this season. The injuries seem to be catching up to the point where the defense can hold its own when the offense is clicking, but can't make the stops when the offense needs a jolt. That's what has gotten us beat in the playoffs recently.

Now, assuming Nink and Gregory are ok, Talib comes back, and the rookies and late additions (Carter, Sopoaga) will continue to improve each game, I have confidence they can get back to where they were in the early season, where they were keeping the inconsistent offense in games. Hopefully that coincides with the continued improvement/health of the offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back