PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Pats haven't won since spygate: setting the record straight

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need a dedicated please, god make it stop praying baby emoticon...

considering some of the acrimony that erupts on occasion....how about this?...

dear-lord-please-grant-me-the-power.png

True. But who did they play to get to the Super Bowl?

Divisional Round: beat Tennessee, 17-14.
AFC Championship Game: beat Indianapolis 24-14.

They played both those teams during the regular season....

- beat Tennessee 38-30 in week 5
- beat Indianapolis 38-34 in week 13

So while your point is valid, they could always come back with....well, they wouldn't likely have even gotten to the Super Bowl without the tapes on the Titans and Colts.

Oh, the Patriots needed tapes to get to the Super Bowl?

2 wins in 2007
2 wins in 2011

At best, they could come back with, they needed refs (see Baltimore 2011) but the Patriots have proven they can both get to the Super Bowl without stolen signals and can win a Super Bowl without stolen signals.

I wasn't addressing you at all, sorry.

Although I'm curious about this statement:

"The Patriots have won a Super Bowl without the benefit of stolen signals."

I didn't read every post, so what is your basis for that? (Everyone else, you can ignore, just talking to upstater here, haha)

The Patriots beat Carolina in 2003, a team they last played 2 regular seasons earlier when they had an entirely different coaching staff (George Seifert).

did the Pats cheat to win their first Super Bowl? Yup...Willie grabbed, tugged ,smashed,harassed and humiliated Marshall Fork the entire game...loved every second of it ....knew the refs weren't blowing the whistle on any of it...tough...that's football.

taping games is just due diligence by an uber prepared coaching staff...which the Pats did NOT do any of before or doing that Super bowl...but THAT is what the moron nation clamors nonstop about....ironic isn't it?

Last edited:
this just reminded me...I went to Goodell's appearance at Foxboro...part of his "Roger speaks to the fans" tour...with my older brother, a psychologist for 40 years, and my cousin, a RI state trooper...when I tried to be one of the select to ask our exalted Commish a question, I was told "no spygate questions allowed", and we were selectively, the three of us,kept at a distance as ol' Roger went through the motions of that dog and pony show...want a good laugh, get the transcript of his appearance...I think CHFF still has it archived.

I was there too. I'm the one who told him the fans don't want 18 regular-season games. He answered via deflection by saying the fans want more football and don't want to pay regular price for two preseason games and a bunch of morons applauded. I could've run up and strangled him.

Oh, the Patriots needed tapes to get to the Super Bowl?

2 wins in 2007
2 wins in 2011

At best, they could come back with, they needed refs (see Baltimore 2011) but the Patriots have proven they can both get to the Super Bowl without stolen signals and can win a Super Bowl without stolen signals.

Ugh. You're missing my point, which I didn't think was that hard to see. All I'm saying is, while I think you make a great point about the Pats-Panthers Super Bowl, that anyone still arguing the typical spygate-is-the-only-reason-the-Pats-won-Super Bowls line can take what you said about the Pats-Panthers SB being proof that they won one without taping, and turn around and say, well, that may be true, but they wouldn't have even gotten to that particular Super Bowl without taping, since they beat the Titans and Colts in the playoffs, and they had tapes on those two teams.

That's a long, run-on sentence to say that, yes I agree with you. But the other side has a legit comeback to your point. I'm sure you can see that.

Ivan: Pls don't mistake me, I applaud your intention but why don't you set the record straight by NOT using the words 'spy'? :(

Some of us call it 'camera-gate' and feel deflated when fellow fans blindly follow the mediots and unconsiously contribute to the smearing by using negative words that suggests deceit and crookedness, which in this issue was certainly not the case.

Thanks,

I've tried reading through this very painful thread, and just wanted to say PatsFanSince74 has been spot-on with every one of his posts here. It doesn't matter what the facts of the case are, it doesn't matter what we as Patriots fans think or believe. Many, if not most non-Patriots fans view SpyGate as a VERY serious matter, a single-handed effort by a rogue organization to violate the integrity and essence of the game, led by a moral-less individual who will win at all costs. If you don't agree, you haven't been around non-Patriot fans. Go over to JI right now, where Jets fans are still screaming at Pats fans telling them they should be ashamed of their team being involved in the "greatest scandal in the history of sports."

The average fan who who reads ESPN for all of his sports news thinks the Patriots literally knew their opponents' every play, on both sides of the ball, of every game for the entire Belichick era in New England, and all of their success is fraudulent. Nothing short of a full NFL or even Congressional investigation with a big book of official findings proving this to be otherwise will change their minds. And for the biggest of Pats-haters, even that won't do it. Plenty believe Goodell was involved in a massive cover-up in order to save face for the league, and would continue to do so in any follow-up.

It sucks, but all of the long-winded essays in the world are not going to change that perception.

You make some good points. Once some people have made up their minds, nothing is going to change that. That's why, as pointed out earlier in this thread, some people believe that 9/11 was an inside job, or that we've never been to the moon or that pro wrestling is real. While I understand Joker's point that we shouldn't have to accept this, some people just aren't going to change their minds. Those people could be on a message board, sitting in the seat next to you in a stadium, working for ESPN or writing articles for NFL.com.

I do find the idea that people think Goodell covered this "scandal" up very amusing. His actions throughout that period were the opposite of what someone would do to minimize a story. If Kraft was paying him (as the haters believe he was) to sweep this under the rug, he certainly threw his money away.

Generally speaking, this story really only has legs because the Patriots are involved. It has been demonstrated over the years that no one (except for Patriots fans) cares if another team does the same thing or worse.

The Broncos taping another team's practice is largely forgotten, even though they were caught and punished. During their run to the playoffs this season, you didn't hear someone like Rob Parker smugly say "Maybe they went back to taping practices."

During the Matt Walsh testimony saga, he told Goodell and Specter that he saw another team doing the same thing. Goodell refused to name that team, but at least Specter had the integrity to say it was the Jets. This fact garnered zero reaction. If Bernie Madoff said he knew of another investment firm doing the same thing or if Jerry Sandusky mentioned that he knew of another coach who committed the same crimes, that would be a huge deal. But with the NFL, it's fans and media, it didn't matter because it wasn't the Patriots.

Sadly, the only time people will stop bringing this up is after Brady, Belichick, and maybe even the Kraft family are no longer associated with the team.

Ugh. You're missing my point, which I didn't think was that hard to see. All I'm saying is, while I think you make a great point about the Pats-Panthers Super Bowl, that anyone still arguing the typical spygate-is-the-only-reason-the-Pats-won-Super Bowls line can take what you said about the Pats-Panthers SB being proof that they won one without taping, and turn around and say, well, that may be true, but they wouldn't have even gotten to that particular Super Bowl without taping, since they beat the Titans and Colts in the playoffs, and they had tapes on those two teams.

That's a long, run-on sentence to say that, yes I agree with you. But the other side has a legit comeback to your point. I'm sure you can see that.

I can understand the argument, but they can't generalize it. Which is my point. They can't say the Patriots can't get to a Super Bowl without stolen signals. That's been disproven.

So, more power to them if they want to go to mix and match arguments. They can do it until they are blue in the face. I agree with all here. But for reasonable people, and here I'm talking about ordinary Bills fans I talk to, I've never once heard them comeback with anything when I make the point about the Panthers.

That's all I'm saying. if you want a retort, use it. You'll be surprised at how few people want to make the long-winded argument about stolen signals and the Patriots inability to make it/win a Super Bowl without them.

I can understand the argument, but they can't generalize it. Which is my point. They can't say the Patriots can't get to a Super Bowl without stolen signals. That's been disproven.

I didn't suggest they would use it as a generalization. Go back and re-read my post....I was offering it as a "refutation" (of sorts) of your specific point that the Pats won the Panther SB with no help from taping. They might reply that, yeah, but the only reason they got to *THAT PARTICULAR* Super Bowl was by taping their two previous playoff opponents that year - Tennessee and Indy.

So, more power to them if they want to go to mix and match arguments. They can do it until they are blue in the face. I agree with all here. But for reasonable people, and here I'm talking about ordinary Bills fans I talk to, I've never once heard them comeback with anything when I make the point about the Panthers.

That's all I'm saying. if you want a retort, use it. You'll be surprised at how few people want to make the long-winded argument about stolen signals and the Patriots inability to make it/win a Super Bowl without them.

I hear you.

Ian needs to install a filter that instantly deletes all posts containing the words Moss and Spygate.

If someone gives you grief about it, tell them that you are well aware that...

ever since Pluto was demoted from the ranks of the planets, the Patriots haven't won a Super Bowl.

Tell them to support Pluto.

pluto_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Bottom line is this: The Patriots haven't won a Super Bowl since spygate broke. Of course, the same can be said for 27 of the other 31 teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft