PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Jets and their QB situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I find interesting is that the verbal beatdown put on Sanchez by Dilfer and Young seems to have opened the floodgates. The "Sanchez is good, but he has no help" meme seems to have died with that postgame discussion.

I must have missed this. What I saw was Dilfer railing on Sparano for putting Tebow in because it killed the momentum that Sanchez had going and Young railing on the Jets for "quitting".

EDIT: By the way, Amani Toomer was on XM this morning absolutely trashing Steve Young for saying that.

Last edited:
What I find interesting is that the verbal beatdown put on Sanchez by Dilfer and Young seems to have opened the floodgates. The "Sanchez is good, but he has no help" meme seems to have died with that postgame discussion.

Youg basically said Sanchez could be salvagable if they canned Rex and got an offensive minded coach who could groom him.

Sanchez is a limited QB, but with a good head coach and OC, I think he could be much better. His ceiling is average at best (and that might be optimistic), but Ryan ruined the guy by his "Do we even need an offense because my defense is great" attitude that he has had since the day he arrived in NY.

I must have missed this. What I saw was Dilfer railing on Sparano for putting Tebow in because it killed the momentum that Sanchez had going and Young railing on the Jets for "quitting".

EDIT: By the way, Amani Toomer was on XM this morning absolutely trashing Steve Young for saying that.

Young and Dilfer went OFF on sanchez, the coaches ect last night...had me in tears almost

I think it's only mostly dead. Listening to Benigno on WFAN, he did talk a lot about the lack of talent around Sanchez, no targets etc. (I haven't listened to Felger in a couple of years; does he still thing the jets' drafting philosophy is better than the Pats'?)

But he absolutely 100% made it clear that he's waaaay over the Sanchez era. Wish I could find a link to the audio, but he was so over the top his on-air partner seemed very concerned about his health, physical and mental.

Why would Cousins be going anywhere?? The skins just drafted him and RG3 is an injury risk b/c of his frame and his playing style.

Let's see what McElroy can do. He's probably their best bet.

Oh, I dunno, maybe because he looks pretty good in this small time and they have RG3.... why not?

If you can find it, it's must see TV.

But after seeing how Rex just brushed Sanchez off last night, .........

What was this brush off you speak of ? I fell asleep on a beauty of a game last night.:p

Gotta wait and see too what direction Woody embarks on after the season. Does he shuffle the deck chairs or clear the decks... Is he finally ready to take a long term approach to teambuilding or just looking for his next half assed, short term splash.

Maybe Woody Johnson (what kind of mother would give her son a name like that?) ought to sell the team to Magic Johnson and the LA Dodgers ownership. Money is no object to those guys and the Commissioner wants a team in LA. Win-win!

I think it's only mostly dead. Listening to Benigno on WFAN, he did talk a lot about the lack of talent around Sanchez, no targets etc. (I haven't listened to Felger in a couple of years; does he still thing the jets' drafting philosophy is better than the Pats'?)

But he absolutely 100% made it clear that he's waaaay over the Sanchez era. Wish I could find a link to the audio, but he was so over the top his on-air partner seemed very concerned about his health, physical and mental.

I heard him talking. I probably should have broken it down more. Before, it was "What do you expect? Look what he's got around him." Now, it's "There's no excuse for this garbage, even though he's got very little around him". It's a sea change, and the same thing happened on JI the week he got pulled the first time.

It's been fun to watch, knowing that they've now got his albatross of a contract to deal with. :D

Felger has conceeded some of his "The Jets are better than you" arguments. He does concede the Jets have not drafted well, but he still will not give up on his "the cap is crap mantra" with them and believes the only reason the Pats are better are because the Pats have Brady and the Jets have Sanchez.

Personally, I don't think it is all on Sanchez. I think Ryan has destroyed the kid and never developed him. Sanchez was always limited, but he was better when he came into the league than he is now. He has gotten the David Carr treatment which can destroy a young QB.

I'm not sure where people are coming from on this. The Jets played up to their potential this year and maxed out as a team. Rex pulled then together as a team and Sanchez is a young hardworking Leader who can get them to the show and win it all. Tanny is a master at re-doing contracts and squeezin g the most out of the money they have to work with. There is only one course of action that makes sense and that is to stay the course. this team doesn't need changes, that will only set them back, They need to stick with those who brought them to their current heights and s few good breaks will put them over the top.

Stay the course Woody, stay the course.................

Felger has conceeded some of his "The Jets are better than you" arguments. He does concede the Jets have not drafted well, but he still will not give up on his "the cap is crap mantra" with them and believes the only reason the Pats are better are because the Pats have Brady and the Jets have Sanchez.

Personally, I don't think it is all on Sanchez. I think Ryan has destroyed the kid and never developed him. Sanchez was always limited, but he was better when he came into the league than he is now. He has gotten the David Carr treatment which can destroy a young QB.

From what I remember Felger was always on about draft philosophies, not just drafting well. He had high praise for the Jets' willingness to trade up for a player who can make an impact, as opposed to the Pats picking for a lot of depth. Lack of depth has killed the Jets, and we saw it starting with the Leonard injury before 45-3 in 2010. Maybe if the Jets had, say, kept pick #17 in 2009, they could have gotten a Josh Freeman and had some other picks to build around him.

Also, if the cap is crap, why did the Jets let all their leaders/winners go, guys like Cotchery and Brad Smith? Maybe it wasn't money, just bad judgment.

Anyway, to quote Flounder in Animal House: "Oh boy .... this is GREAT!"

Last edited:
...Also, if the cap is crap, why did the Jets let all their leaders/winners go, guys like Cotchery and Brad Smith? Maybe it wasn't money, just bad judgment.

Anyway, to quote Flounder in Animal House: "Oh boy .... this is FUN!"

He was right about the cap, under the old CBA. The new CBA has seen a change, because the increases haven't been there.

Usually Felger is wrong about something for years until it comes true (Moss is bad, for example). In this case, he was right about something and now he's not. When/if the big cap bumps actually show up again, he'll be right again.

Sanchez was always limited, but he was better when he came into the league than he is now.

Agreed. Being in NY, I see more of the Jets than I'd like to, and I would say he did possess a quality the first couple of years. We (rightly) laugh at the the "two AFC championship games" stuff, but he did make some plays in those games.

Now, he's just awful. I thought Ryan not benching him after the Pats game was actually borderline cruel to Sanchez--he had obviously lost all confidence, and would have been better served to sit for awhile. He's become such a joke, with the butt fumble, etc., that I think his only chance of playing even semi-decently is to do it elsewhere.

Per just about everyone you can think of who matters on Twitter, Jets announce McElroy to start.

Wow. I would think they would start Tebow to show someone out there that they should trade for him. Maybe he is THAT BAD in practice that they don't dare for fear they will destroy his trade value. I agree Sanchez is done. Seems like the only thing they can do is cut him, or hope some desperate team shows an interest and get him to take a pay cut to effect a trade. Maintaining the status quo would be Patriots gold!!

As a Pats fan out here in the Bay Area and having watched Alex Smith for the past 7 years, I would love it if the Jets picked him up next year. Alex Smith sucks, and only has been made to look decent in the past 2 years because of Harbaugh's coaching (i.e. putting him in safe situations, building a tremendous team around him, making the most of his strengths, etc. --- all things that the Jets will not be able to do).

If the Jets grab Alex Smith next year it would be like buying an over-inflated stock right near its peak. Of course this is sort of like what they did with Tebow last year, so I wouldnt put it past them.

Last edited:
Just read this on Rotoworld:

Tim Tebow - New York Jets - 2012 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Tim Tebow reportedly feels "misled" by the Jets after they bypassed him to give the Week 16 starting job to Greg McElroy.
When the Jets traded for him, Tebow was promised that he would get a shot to play if Mark Sanchez was injured and/or ineffective. In fact, it was reported last March that Tebow chose the Jets over the Jags because he saw a clearer path to the starting job in New York. He's not the type to make waves publicly, so expect Tebow to continue to play the "good soldier" role. The Jets' trade for Tebow makes less sense with each passing week.
Source: CBSSports.com
Dec 18 - 5:45 PM

If that's true then Tebow is dumber than I thought. Rex Ryan had been irrationally loyal to Sanchez up to that point, and the only QB that could have stood in Tebow's way in Jacksonville was Blaine freaking Gabbert. As decent as Chad Henne has been this season, I still think he would have been placed behind Tebow on the depth chart. Personally I thought it was the ONLY destination that made sense for Tebow's career and for the Jaguars franchise. Perhaps that will be revisited when Tebow is eventually cut this offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News