PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Jets and their QB situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kid~Brady

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
So clearly after last night, Marky Mark is done. They honestly don't have the means to unload him because that would take them to a 17 million cap hit? (Correct me if I'm wrong). So basically, they will have to pay him 8 mil to either sit because I think the Jets are going to try really hard to get someone else in here.

Some of their choices may include: Micheal Vick, Alex Smith, Joe Flacco, Carson Palmer, Kirk Cousins, Jason Campbell, Tarvaris Jackson, Matt Moore.

Now, I know most of these guys stay with their respective teams. I think Flacco and Palmer stays where they are for the most part but I can see them pushing hard for Alex Smith or Cousins maybe.

As a Patriots fan, who do you think the Jets make a hard push for, if they even make a push? Maybe the Jets keep Sanchez as the starter as Rex loves to do anyways. (that would be great!) But after seeing how Rex just brushed Sanchez off last night, I doubt we see this guy for the remainder of the season.

Last edited:
To me their woeful QB situation is about third on the list of things they have to fix. First of all they need a GM that won't hog tie them with bad contracts and bad football decisions. Secondly they need a HC that doesn't shoot the team in its foot with stupid talk and ignorance of the offense. Thirdly they need a whole new offensive staff.

Then they need to figure out who can play QB in their new system. They need to acquire so much offensive talent that I just don't see how even a magician like Parcells could do it in one year.

I really think discussion about their QB opening is way premature. It's impossible to know who the QB should be before you know what the offensive philosophy will be. Any QB on your list would be foolish to step into the current situation. He would be bound to fail and to go to his grave in agony.

I want them to keep Sanchez, keep Tebow, and by all means

keep this circus going!

I never want them to break their tie for the least AFC East championships that they now share with the Houston Oilers (who have not even been in the AFC East since 1969!)

So clearly after last night, Marky Mark is done. They honestly don't have the means to unload him because that would take them to a 17 million cap hit? (Correct me if I'm wrong). So basically, they will have to pay him 8 mil to either sit because I think the Jets are going to try really hard to get someone else in here.

Some of their choices may include: Micheal Vick, Alex Smith, Joe Flacco, Carson Palmer, Kirk Cousins, Jason Campbell, Tarvaris Jackson, Matt Moore.

Now, I know most of these guys stay with their respective teams. I think Flacco and Palmer stays where they are for the most part but I can see them pushing hard for Alex Smith or Cousins maybe.

As a Patriots fan, who do you think the Jets make a hard push for, if they even make a push? Maybe the Jets keep Sanchez as the starter as Rex loves to do anyways. (that would be great!) But after seeing how Rex just brushed Sanchez off last night, I doubt we see this guy for the remainder of the season.

Think for just a minute before barfing up an OT thread.

With $8M+ cap in the Sanchez QB position and ignoring Tebow's 2013 >$1M cap hit, and worst of all many Jets starters hitting FA in 2013 needing cap hits, HOW are the Jets gonna find the cap $ to sign any of the name QBs on your list?.

This is not MLB where the owner can just spend himself into oblivion.

Last edited:
Per just about everyone you can think of who matters on Twitter, Jets announce McElroy to start.

Poor Greg, he was my draft backup QB binky who landed with the Jets because Mallett fell in our lap (whatever that means...). Very Bradyeque kid coming out of college, cerebral, reads defenses, Saban protoge, who knows what 2 years mired in a circus has done. Have mixed emotions about his performance as he still has some backup upside here if they were to part with him...

Last edited:

With $8M+ cap in the Sanchez QB position and ignoring Tebow's 2013 >$1M cap hit, and worst of all many Jets starters hitting FA in 2013 needing cap hits, HOW are the Jets gonna find the cap $ to sign any of the name QBs on your list?.

New York Jets Salary Cap
A quick look at the Jets 2013 salary cap shows that there are a couple players they could release to open a lot of cap space.

OT Jason Smith has an $11mm roster bonus - he's not going to see that. That saves $12mm.
LB Calvin Pace offers an $8.5mm cap savings if released.
LB Bart Scott offers over $7mm in cap savings if released.

Those three represent almost $28mm in cap savings.

That said, they also look to be over the cap, so will need some of those moves just to get back into cap range. So a release of Sanchez, though expensive, is not impossible - it just consumes much of the cap space available for other upgrades.

Sanchez is a $14M hit if they retain him, a $17M hit if they part with him. If they found someone to take him off their hands they would save his $8M guaranteed salary, but if they cut him someone gets to kick his tires for peanuts if they want to take a flyer...and the Jets still have to pay the $8M salary.

They really can't afford to play Tebow any more either, just lowers any potential trade value to JAX...

Would love to see Vick in the circus...

The others will either make no difference or cost the Jets a 2nd (Cousins and Shanny would be an idiot to trade any RGIII functional backup) (Smith - who is Sanchez on his best days, not going to get you to the promised land, just maybe get you competitive in a division with Brady).

Gotta wait and see too what direction Woody embarks on after the season. Does he shuffle the deck chairs or clear the decks... Is he finally ready to take a long term approach to teambuilding or just looking for his next half assed, short term splash.

Other trades and transactions brother! If you havent noticed, they really need a quarterback.

New York Jets Salary Cap
A quick look at the Jets 2013 salary cap shows that there are a couple players they could release to open a lot of cap space.

OT Jason Smith has an $11mm roster bonus - he's not going to see that. That saves $12mm.
LB Calvin Pace offers an $8.5mm cap savings if released.
LB Bart Scott offers over $7mm in cap savings if released.

Those three represent almost $28mm in cap savings.

That said, they also look to be over the cap, so will need some of those moves just to get back into cap range. So a release of Sanchez, though expensive, is not impossible - it just consumes much of the cap space available for other upgrades.

This is misleading because, while this frees up "a lot of cap space", you have to consider that they are already at 141, so if this does free up $28mm, that brings them down to 113. So, they have roughly 7-10mm in cap space going into 2013.

But, you didn't account for the losses they'll need to account for, starting with those three players, then the free agent losses, who are already accounted for in the cap savings:

Likely Cuts- 3
Jason Smith
Calvin Pace
Bart Scott

Unrestricted- 12
Yeremiah Bell
Mike DeVito
Nick Folk
Shonn Greene
Dustin Keller
Laron Landry
Aaron Maybin
Brandon Moore
Chaz Schilens
Matt Slauson
Bryan Thomas
Jay Richardson

Restricted- 4
Jeff Cumberland
Austin Howard
Joshua Mauga
Tanner Purdum

So, there's 19 players to replace on, being very optimistic, $10M in cap space. I'm sure they'll try to do some maneuvering and push back contracts into later years, but this is no longer a place where a veteran is willing to do a deal like that. Moreover, it's unlikely current players would be willing to mess around with a clown franchise and restructure. If they cut Sanchez, they'd have about half of that cap space. The QBs you mentioned? That's a pipe dream.

Do the math, it's roughly 500k per player at those positions.

Yes, they will try to trade him for a 7th rounder. However, it seems very likely that they will simply cut him and absorb the $4.3M of additional 2013 costs.

Sanchez is a $14M hit if they retain him, a $17M hit if they part with him.

Last edited:
The Jets have such little depth, and yet they threw away their 4th round pick for Tim Tebow, who apparently wasn't good enough to play more than 5 snaps per game. The talent evaluation and value assignments from that organization are truly atrocious. It's almost impossible to fathom the amount of times they've drafted or signed shiny objects with no substance.

The media's obsession with the Jets is really hard to figure. Why do they lead every sports show newscast? Starting from the beginning of the year with ESPN's decision to basically embed 10 reporters in the Jets training camp or whatever, they really seem to be a story that is being jammed down our throats on a constant basis.

A few thoughts. First, I understand that networks are in the entertainment business and give the people what they want. But is this really what they want? There are so many great football stories right now. Second, it's not like I think my team is under-covered and am jealous of the coverage. I'm a Pats fan. We get plenty of ink. But if I were a Redskins fan, this would really make me mad. Or, how about the other team in NY? The world champs? They seem like a good story.

Bold prediction: Alex smith/ or Mike Vick and Chris Johnson are on the Jets next season.

Last edited:
It would be a shame if they made a hard push for Alex Smith next year. I've been enjoying the QB suckage in New York for some time now...

Why would Cousins be going anywhere?? The skins just drafted him and RG3 is an injury risk b/c of his frame and his playing style.

Let's see what McElroy can do. He's probably their best bet.

What I find interesting is that the verbal beatdown put on Sanchez by Dilfer and Young seems to have opened the floodgates. The "Sanchez is good, but he has no help" meme seems to have died with that postgame discussion.

The ultimate gimmick to save the gimmick-impaired.

It reminds me of borrowing to pay off debt. Hey, it works (for about two seconds.)

Exactly...but their first priority is to sell seats and advertising, not win games. If they leave Sanchez in there, or replace him with Tavaris Jackson, the jester fans will riot. From ownerships standpoint, at least bringing in Vick creates headlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes