PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2013 Prospect Thread

I want nothing to do with William Gholston, I wouldn't draft him anywhere.

Watching these two the other day made me wish we were still a 3-4 team.

It doesn't really work that way. Bill isn't running a typical 4-3. It's more like a standard 3-4 than a standard 4-3. It's really an aggressive 3-4 disguised as a 4-3. I'd say if you want to put them in your mock then do it.

Last edited:
It doesn't really work that way. Bill isn't running a typical 4-3. It's more like a standard 3-4 than a standard 4-3. It's really an aggressive 3-4 disguised as a 4-3. I'd say if you want to put them in your mock then do it.

I was not being totally serious - I like them as prospects - they are perfect 3-4 prospects and not suited to a 4-3 - we don't really have a need for either - that was my flippant way of expressing that I liked them.

Here's a youtube channel that has a number of full games from this season and last as well as a fair number of CFB games from earlier seasons for those interested:

thornsx's channel - YouTube

Nik Embernate, OG, San Diego St.

embernate_2-380x532.jpg

Scouting Report

#68 Nik Embernate, OG SDSU | Beyond The Combine

(Excerpt)

The upside I see from Nik Embernate is off the chart. He has some tools that any coach would like to polish with Next-level coaching. Embernate’s skill set and nasty mindset reminds me of Richie Incognito (Miami Dolphins). Embernate may be a sleeper in the 2013 NFL Draft to some, but he has been on my radar for a while. As I project down the road, Nik Embernate will be perfect in any scheme, Zone or Power. Embernate may even be a Center in the NFL. I think Embernate is a mid-round pick right now, but he is one to keep an eye out for the rest of the 2012 season.

Nik Embernate #68 RG 2011 SDSU Aztecs Junior Season Highlights Part 1 - YouTube

Also:

Jeff Nady, OT, Nevada

jeff-nady-Nevada1-e1339534855320-199x300.jpg

http://beyondthecombine.com/78-jeff-nady-ot-nevada/#more-205

Nady has good size. Has nice long arms. Displays sneaky athleticism, moves well, and shows good foot work. Because of Nevada’s system, Nady flops back and forth between left and right tackle, this is important because he looks comfortable playing both tackle positions. Plays with emotion on film and at times shows a bit of a mean streak, which I like to see out of an offensive lineman. Gets off the ball well in the run game. Takes good angles when climbing to the next level of defenders. Shows he can get out in space on screens. Has a quick pass set and looks comfortable kick sliding. For the most part, shows patients in pass protection. When punch is on target, he stops defenders in their tracks. Shows the ability to take away the inside. Works well with the guard on picking up blitzers and passing off line stunts. Nady rarely gets beat on film!

Last edited:
FSU coach Jimbo Fisher calls Tank Carradine "one of those rare ends that combine size and power along with explosiveness" and thinks that once Carradine makes some adjustments with his details "it’s going to be scary how good he is because he creates so many big plays with his speed and power":

FSU defense rolls along thanks to

I love the idea of Carradine and Chandler Jones as bookend DEs. They would wreck havoc on opposing QBs for years.

FSU coach Jimbo Fisher calls Tank Carradine "one of those rare ends that combine size and power along with explosiveness" and thinks that once Carradine makes some adjustments with his details "it’s going to be scary how good he is because he creates so many big plays with his speed and power":

FSU defense rolls along thanks to

I love the idea of Carradine and Chandler Jones as bookend DEs. They would wreck havoc on opposing QBs for years.

d%#*!@t Mayo, if you keep this up I'll be wanting Dion Jordan, Jesse Williams, and Tank Carradine, and come draft day I'll be crying when we don't get them all, it'll be like one of those Direct TV commercials but worse:)

d%#*!@t Mayo, if you keep this up I'll be wanting Dion Jordan, Jesse Williams, and Tank Carradine, and come draft day I'll be crying when we don't get them all, it'll be like one of those Direct TV commercials but worse:)

I know. I'm already in lust for all 3, and keep trying to figure out ways to get as many as possible. Any combination of those 3 guys would put this defense over the top, IMHO.

Because they're being talked about on here all 3 will probably end up in Houston! :p

I know. I'm already in lust for all 3, and keep trying to figure out ways to get as many as possible. Any combination of those 3 guys would put this defense over the top, IMHO.

I'm still hoping we could trade Mallett to the Jets or Cowboys after they melt down after some stellar performances at the end of blowouts, and use the draft loot to fund those picks. Maybe some rumors of pot smoking abound and their stock drops:D

How do you think Michael Williams of Alabama would compare to a healthy Shiancoe/Ballard/Fells?

Also, though it might sound crazy I wonder if BB might consider trading Mankins depending on how our non-Mankins O-line works out.

Last edited:
Also, though it might sound crazy I wonder if BB might consider trading Mankins depending on how our non-Mankins O-line works out.

Trading Mankins would put $12M in dead money on the cap. He'd cost $10M against the cap to keep. I'd think that's enough to keep him around.

Possible Binky Alert

Leon McFadden, CB, San Diego State

hi-res-136047979_display_image.jpg

Already has three Int's this year including two for TD's.

Really impressed by his COD and closing speeds on this admittedly highlight reel and his speed getting in to the backfield:

Leon McFadden Highlights - YouTube

Smart and mature kid too:

Leon McFadden Interview 03/01/12 - YouTube

From Bleacher Report:

World, please meet Leon McFadden. He's arguably the best defensive player in the country you've never heard of.

While McFadden still isn't a household name, he didn't just come out of nowhere. A senior at San Diego State, he has started every game in his four seasons there, earning All-Conference honors as a sophomore and a junior. The way he is playing now though, he will be earning much higher accolades at season's end.

McFadden has an interception in each of the last three games, two of which he returned for touchdowns. That includes his interception this past week against Fresno, which he returned 96 yards for a touchdown. He's got good size at 5'10" and 190 pounds, and is such a fluid athlete. As people get a better look at this kid, you will be hearing his name a ton around draft time!

Wednesday's Watchers: NFL Draft Stock Up/Stock Down | Bleacher Report

Last edited:
Malcolm Bronson, S, Mcneese State

sprh0908mcneesevsmcmurray7_w300.jpg

Malcolm Bronson vs MTSU 2012 - YouTube

Apparently has 4.3 speed but unfortunately is now out for the season with a knee injury - value????

Was supposed to be better at McNeese State than Janzen Jackson last year.

This is from a hypothetical Mathieu to McNeese scenario:

Tyrann Mathieu to McNeese State: He'll be the Star, but Not the Only Talent | Articles

Meet His New Running Mate, Malcolm Bronson
Similar to the Honey Badger in many aspects, Malcolm Bronson exhibits the same type of violent, emotional, and physical style of play, while having a knack for coming up with big-time plays in crucial moments. An aggressive player that will take some chances in the secondary, Bronson similarly struggles in sustaining coverage downfield when the play breaks down. And much like Mathieu, he is best when facing the action. So how much of a prospect is Malcolm Bronson really?

First off, Malcolm Bronson possesses much better size measurables than his new McNeese State teammate, Tyrann Mathieu, as he holds a rock solid, 5’11 200 pound frame. Quicker than fast with a 4.5 estimated 40 time, Bronson shows out with his short area acceleration, explosive hitting power, and plus ball skills. Exceptional in run support, Bronson showcases the click and close athleticism to be a dynamic, alley defender. Flying downhill full speed, Bronson more importantly does an excellent job of breaking down on the ball carrier and wrapping up to secure the tackle.

A violent headhunter in the back half, Bronson led the team in total tackles, pass break ups, and forced fumbles, delivering vicious hits to separate the receiver from the football. Sitting into his pedal and type-writing his steps back into coverage, Bronson also displays the range to cover the deep middle third and deep outer half of the field; reading the eye level of the quarterback and reacting quickly to the ball in air, Bronson constantly gets his hands on the football, as evidenced by his two-year totals of 7 interceptions and 15 pass deflections.

And, right on schedule, Rob Rang has Dion Jordan at #31 on his top 40 board:

At a rangy 6-6, 243 pounds Jordan's length and explosiveness off the edge makes him a matchup nightmare for opponents. The junior, who led the Ducks a year ago with 13 tackles for loss and 7.5 sacks, is earning high marks from scouts who believe he could be one of this year's most exciting "hybrid" prospects.

Big Board: As some senior prospects disappoint, underclassman rise - NFL, NFLDRAFT - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Super Grizzly John Jenkins comes in at #27, Jesse Williams at #35. Tank Carradine isn't on the list yet, but I think it's only a matter of time if he continues to rack up sacks and TFL at his current rate.

James Christensen from NE Patriots' Draft looks at prospects from the Marshall-Purdue game, include WR Aaron Dobson (Marshall) and DT Kawann Short (Purdue):

#3 WR Aaron Dobson

-Lining up as outside receiver.
-Quick slant route, put his foot in the ground and accelerated out of his break.
-Separates at the top of his route, unreal one-handed catch.
-Out route, good hands catch and tucks it securely.
-Wins on vertical route, but has to stop for underthrown ball and is out-fought for the ball.
-Late getting his hands up on slant, ball gets in on his body, drops it and it gets picked off.
-Body catch in traffic, adjusts to ball thrown a bit behind.
-”Sluggo” route, sold it well and gets a half step on the corner – ball overthrown.
-Didn’t show elite speed, hasn’t been able to run past corners after separating.
-Gets off the press, beats his man vertically, ball overthrown.
-Another good route, creates separation on the deep curl, inaccurate pass.
-Stutter go, gets over the top of the corner but ball is severely underthrown.
-Loses position on slant route near goal line, ball ripped out.
-Dobson could have had 3-4 touchdowns with a QB that can deliver the ball downfield.

Overview: Dobson has improved in his route-running from a year ago. He still has the ability to make catches that perhaps only he and two other people on earth can make. That said, he can improve his physicality when fighting for the ball and the occasional concentration/technique drop needs to be cleaned up. Dobson is still my #1 senior receiver in the 2013 NFL Draft.

#93 DT Kawann Short

-Plays some 0-tech as a 3-4 NT and as a 1-tech 4-3 DT.
-Doesn’t start the game as Purdue is in a 3-man front.
-In as nose tackle, double teamed early and often.
-Staying low out of his stance, gets under the OL’s pads and walks him back with a big bull rush.
-Got high and double team puts him on skates.
-Too quick for guard, slants in and blows up the RB in the backfield.
-Getting plenty of rest, especially on third down.
-Times his jump and blocks the field goal – good hustle play.
-Lines up in an offside position.
-Getting his hands up to disrupt passing lanes when he can’t get to the quarterback.
-Slants into the backfield again, holds off OL with one arm, tackles RB with the other – impressive.
-Nice swim move, combines on TFL with Bruce Gaston.
-Recognizes screen quickly, smartly retreats to the line of scrimmage.
-Looks much quicker off the ball this year, way too quick for the guard.
-Pursuing down the field, better motor than last year.

Overview: I though Short had a very good game. If a defense needs an interior presence for 35-40 snaps a game, this is your guy. His technique, motor and quickness have all improved from last year, he should be a top sixty pick.

2013 NFL Draft Scouting Notes: Purdue vs Marshall | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2013 NFL Draft

Kawann short seems to have developed as more than just a pass rushing DT, and he's been somewhat overlooked with all of the talent in the DT class. As a 2nd round prospect, he would be a nice fit if guys like Jesse Williams and John Jenkins are off the board. A core DT rotation of Wilfork, Love and Short wouldn't be bad. Aaron Dobson would be a nice possibility if he drops to the third round or later.

Major sleeper alert for OTG!!! In contrast to his report on John Simon, here's Mackenzie Pantoja on Missouri Western St. DE David Bass:

David Bass- 2013 NFL Draft Scouting Report - NFL Mocks - 2013 NFL Mock Draft, Fantasy Football, NFL News, and NFL Mock Draft Databases[/url]

It's obviously only one report based on very limited film, but it's intriguing. A 6'5" 275#+ guy with long arms and loose hips, good speed and instincts, the ability to drop into coverage from a 3 point stance and well as move inside and pass rush, and enough athleticism to stand up. That would be a terrific hybrid 4-3 LDE / 3-4 DE / 4-3 UT / 3-4 OLB kind of prospect. It sounds like his edge setting may need some work and he needs to get stronger, but again, it's based on limted film. Defintely a sleeper to keep an eye on, particularly if Pantoja is right in his assessment of Bass' coverage abilities. A LDE with that kind of range and coverage ability would be a huge asset given the evolving nature of NFL offenses.
Hey, it's MacKenzie Pantoja. I would like to start off by admitting that, yes, I googled myself (google my name under discussion results). I'll admit, I have an ego.
I'm really happy to know you guys like my articles. I rarely get taken seriously as a 16 year old sportswriter, and I appreciate the fact that you do like my articles. I'd love to talk about the draft with you guys. Also, I watch 300 college football games per year in preparation for the draft, and I'd love to give you guys my scouting notes (it says I need 50 posts before I'm allowed to post links. Just add https://):
docs.google.com/document/d/1WWq_EbUrPOerXT9cOGkT93O7hcvqN5RyhEl6Py9I28E/edit
Oh, and I wrote about Jarvis Jones today. The guy is awesome
nflmocks.com/2012/10/06/jarvis-jones-2013-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

Hey, it's MacKenzie Pantoja. I would like to start off by admitting that, yes, I googled myself (google my name under discussion results). I'll admit, I have an ego.
I'm really happy to know you guys like my articles. I rarely get taken seriously as a 16 year old sportswriter, and I appreciate the fact that you do like my articles. I'd love to talk about the draft with you guys. Also, I watch 300 college football games per year in preparation for the draft, and I'd love to give you guys my scouting notes (it says I need 50 posts before I'm allowed to post links. Just add https://):
docs.google.com/document/d/1WWq_EbUrPOerXT9cOGkT93O7hcvqN5RyhEl6Py9I28E/edit
Oh, and I wrote about Jarvis Jones today. The guy is awesome
nflmocks.com/2012/10/06/jarvis-jones-2013-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

I love your stuff. I don't always agree with it, but I think you do some really nice independent analysis, and I appreciate anyone who puts thought and effort into actually looking at film and evaluating prospects instead of just reiterating the party line.

I saw your profile on Jones. He's a fabulous player, no doubt about it, but it was always a given that he would go out of our range.

Would love to see you do profiles on some of my favorite prospects:

- Dion Jordan, Oregon
- Jesse Williams, Alabama
- Tank Carradine, Florida St.
- John Jenkins, Georgia

I love your stuff. I don't always agree with it, but I think you do some really nice independent analysis, and I appreciate anyone who puts thought and effort into actually looking at film and evaluating prospects instead of just reiterating the party line.

I saw your profile on Jones. He's a fabulous player, no doubt about it, but it was always a given that he would go out of our range.

Would love to see you do profiles on some of my favorite prospects:

- Dion Jordan, Oregon
- Jesse Williams, Alabama
- Tank Carradine, Florida St.
- John Jenkins, Georgia

I'll give you some info on them right now.

I'll be honest. I hate scouting Oregon. Those jersey numbers are unreadable. When I scout Oregon, it's not easy for me to tell who is who, because I can't read those jerseys. My scouting notes on Jordan contradict themselves, because I often mistake Jordan for another player. That being said, I don't love him. He has tremendous length and he is a solid athlete, but he is very raw in his fundamentals, his instincts need a lot of work, and he contributes nothing against the run.

Williams is a solid player. Neither overrated nor underrated. I'm impressed by his quickness and range, plus he gets solid leverage, but he could improve his instincts and uses only average fundamentals.

I like Carradine. He's very quick and athletic. He is a JUCO transfer only because of academic issues, but he actually does play with above average on field intensity and seems pretty smart. His instincts are solid, as well as his strength, and he's very disciplined. On the down side, he's disciplined to a fault. Against the run, his main goal is to contain the running back, and he is no where near as aggressive as he should be. He would be making more TFL's if he was more aggressive. I also think 6'5 is an exaggeration. He looks closer to 6'3.

Jenkins is absolutely useless. And I mean useless. Stay away. If I had to compare Jenkins to anything, I'd say a brick wall. But that's not a good thing. Let me ask you something: do brick walls move? No. Will a brick wall knock you down if you hit its side? No. He can't make arm tackles in traffic and has no mobility whatsoever. As long as he is not left unblocked, he isn't going to make a play. Plus, he has no stamina. If you want a Georgia nose tackle, get Kwame Geathers.

I was on a radio show today. CDS draft radio with Bill Carroll. You'll find out my opinion of many players if you listen to some of the broadcast.
talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkCast.jsp?masterId=60585&cmd=tc

I like Carradine. He's very quick and athletic. He is a JUCO transfer only because of academic issues, but he actually does play with above average on field intensity and seems pretty smart. His instincts are solid, as well as his strength, and he's very disciplined. On the down side, he's disciplined to a fault. Against the run, his main goal is to contain the running back, and he is no where near as aggressive as he should be. He would be making more TFL's if he was more aggressive. I also think 6'5 is an exaggeration. He looks closer to 6'3.
Any thoughts on Alex Okafor, DE Texas and comparisons of Alex Okafor versus Carradine?

Any thoughts on Josh Boyd, DT Mississippi State and comparisons of Josh Boyd versus Jesse Williams?

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back