PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Draft Prospect Thread

Kyle Van Noy and Tyler Russell
I also like Kyle Van Noy and Tyler Russell could be an UDFA backup option if we miss out on Logan Thomas.
NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt recently posted his list of the top 15 under-the-radar pro day risers on NFL.com and one name that stood out was Mississippi State quarterback Tyler Russell. The former Bulldogs signal-caller continues to rehab his right labrum after having surgery and was one of a handful of players who did not work out at the school's pro day. Brandt, however, thinks the 6-foot-4, 227-pounder could be a candidate to slide over to tight end at the next level.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...t-the-only-qb-teams-are-eyeing-as-a-tight-end

A little bit more info about Tyler Russell workout performance:

Quarterback Tyler Russell put on a passing clinic for the Patriots, Packers and Chiefs yesterday during his workout at Mississippi State. His deep passes were on the money and Russell was also accurate with short and intermediate throws. One beneficiary of yesterday’s workout was running back LaDarius Perkins, who really impressed scouts with his pass catching skills.
http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/
http://www.draftinsider.net/reports/2014/QB/Tyler-Russell

Also, LaDarius Perkins could another running back on the radar as an UDFA.

Height: 5-7.5
Weight: 195
40: 4.45
Year: 5Sr

Analysis: Perkins is a competitive change-of-pace runner who leads by example. His ball-carrying skills, pass-catching ability, and willingness to block will help him grab a roster spot as a third back in the NFL.

http://www.draftinsider.net/reports/2014/RB/LaDarius-Perkins

Been a fan since last year. The best value mid-round DT if they look elsewhere early in the draft.

So is he more a 3-Tech guy or a 0/1 Tech Guy?

So is he more a 3-Tech guy or a 0/1 Tech Guy?
In our system, a 3-tech but a 0-tech guy on a Tampa 2 defense. Doesn't have the quick twitch explosion of Donald or Easley but plays strong and bull rushes very well. A cheaper, quicker Timmy Jernigan isn't a bad way to consider him. Obviously because of the Ivy League thing though, he's more of a projection.

In our system, a 3-tech but a 0-tech guy on a Tampa 2 defense. Doesn't have the quick twitch explosion of Donald or Easley but plays strong and bull rushes very well. A cheaper, quicker Timmy Jernigan isn't a bad way to consider him. Obviously because of the Ivy League thing though, he's more of a projection.

I heard an interview with him and he mentioned teams like him as a 3-4 end of 4-3 3 technique. He is a little short for a typical Patriots 3-4 end but at least he is versatile.

Here's a new name:

Brandon Denmark, LB, Florida A&M
6-3, 244

Now compare and contrast:

Jamie Collins - 4.59
Brandon Denmark - 4.65

10 yd split

Jamie Collins - 1.58
Brandon Denmark - 1.55

VJ

Jamie Collins - 41.5
Brandon Denmark - 40

Broad

Jamie Collins - 11'07"
Brandon Denmark - 11'03"

3-cone

Jamie Collins - 7.10
Brandon Denmark - 6.98

Short Shuttle

Jamie Collins - 4.32
Brandon Denmark - 4.33

It's not often you find someone that Collins doesn't get a clear win against athletically.

I heard an interview with him and he mentioned teams like him as a 3-4 end of 4-3 3 technique. He is a little short for a typical Patriots 3-4 end but at least he is versatile.
Could see that. He can certainly hold his ground. I would be 100% on board drafting Reid.

Here's a new name:

6-3, 244

Jamie Collins - 4.59
Brandon Denmark - 4.65

10 yd split

Jamie Collins - 1.58
Brandon Denmark - 1.55

VJ

Jamie Collins - 41.5
Brandon Denmark - 40

Broad

Jamie Collins - 11'07"
Brandon Denmark - 11'03"

3-cone

Jamie Collins - 7.10
Brandon Denmark - 6.98

Short Shuttle

Jamie Collins - 4.32
Brandon Denmark - 4.33

It's not often you find someone that Collins doesn't get a clear win against athletically.

That Name alone makes him a top 5 pick !

Yeps and some ppl have talked about him on a Danish forum but i didnt pay attention, mayby i should ? :D

Last edited:
Another very interesting athlete.

Marshall LT Garrett Scott.

6'4, 307
5.05 40, 1.64 10yd (the 10 yd split would have been joint first at the combine with Taylor Lewan)
33.5" vert (joint first with Matt Patchan)
9'7" BJ (2nd behind Lewan)
4.40 SS (joint 2nd behind Ikard)

And here's the kicker

7.09 3-cone. :eek:

That would put him first at the combine by a big margin (Gabe Ikard 7.30) would be 3rd fastest at the combine since 1999 for OT and is a better 3-cone than Aaron Donald despite being 22lbs heavier. If that number is accurate (it came from NFL Draft Scout), at the very least, respect is due.

One last thought though. We've drafted someone from Marshall in two of the last three years so we'd probably be familiar with him.

He's raw but he moves very smoothly. Could be a good OG pickup to battle for a roster spot or go on PS.

What are people's thoughts on Caraun Reid? He was arguably the 2nd best DT at the Senior Bowl behind Donald..
I like Reid, he appears to be talented and has a high IQ. If we miss on Easley he would be one of my top choices.

Another very interesting athlete.

Marshall LT Garrett Scott.

6'4, 307
5.05 40, 1.64 10yd (the 10 yd split would have been joint first at the combine with Taylor Lewan)
33.5" vert (joint first with Matt Patchan)
9'7" BJ (2nd behind Lewan)
4.40 SS (joint 2nd behind Ikard)

And here's the kicker

7.09 3-cone. :eek:

That would put him first at the combine by a big margin (Gabe Ikard 7.30) would be 3rd fastest at the combine since 1999 for OT and is a better 3-cone than Aaron Donald despite being 22lbs heavier. If that number is accurate (it came from NFL Draft Scout), at the very least, respect is due.

One last thought though. We've drafted someone from Marshall in two of the last three years so we'd probably be familiar with him.

He's raw but he moves very smoothly. Could be a good OG pickup to battle for a roster spot or go on PS.

He is one of my top sleepers. I think outside of OC we need a player capable of playing OT and OG. The reason I think OT is important is I expect Cannon to get a shot at winning the starting job at RG.

Here's a new name:

6-3, 244

Jamie Collins - 4.59
Brandon Denmark - 4.65

10 yd split

Jamie Collins - 1.58
Brandon Denmark - 1.55

VJ

Jamie Collins - 41.5
Brandon Denmark - 40

Broad

Jamie Collins - 11'07"
Brandon Denmark - 11'03"

3-cone

Jamie Collins - 7.10
Brandon Denmark - 6.98

Short Shuttle

Jamie Collins - 4.32
Brandon Denmark - 4.33

Here is pretty cool highlight real on him. There appears to be a lot to like about him, very raw talent.

I am not sure if this this kid has been mentioned already but Lonnie Ballentine is an intriguing late round prospect.
  • Height: 6030
  • Weight: 219
  • 40 Yard Dash: 4.39
  • 20 Yard Dash: 2.59
  • 10 Yard Dash: 1.51
  • 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 18
  • Vertical Jump: 38
  • Broad Jump: 10'05"
  • 20 Yard Shuttle: 4.47
  • 3-Cone Drill: 7.18

What are people's thoughts on Caraun Reid? He was arguably the 2nd best DT at the Senior Bowl behind Donald..

I like him. There aren't too many top of the heap DTs in the top of this draft but there are certainly some players in the mid to late rounds who could be boom type players in the right system. Ellis, Kerr and Sutton are a few other intriguing names from rds 4-7.

Hey guys. Sorry I haven't been here in a while. Been very busy. I just wanted to let you know, I have committed to the University of Chicago next year. As excited as I am to start this new chapter in my life, I must acknowledge that I probably will not have enough free time next year to scout the way I have in the past. This may be my last draft for a few years. I would like to let you know, I have enjoyed my interactions with all of you the last 2 years. You guys have been nothing but civil and well informed fans. I will be back here on draft day. But I don't think I'll be here in 2015. That being said, I would like to tell you guys how I scout the game, just so you may be able to sort of scout the game the way I do for future drafts.

1. For all positions, when it comes to raw players with a great physical skill set, ask yourself one question: is there a good excuse for his poor fundamentals? Jimmy Graham's fundamentals were terrible out of college, but what could you expect from a guy who hadn't played football in 5 years? Cordarrelle Patterson only had one year of FBS experience. Margus Hunt and Ezekiel Ansah have only known what football is for a few years. But Dion Jordan? Had been playing football since middle school and his fundamentals had shown no improvement throughout his college career. Hence he has been a bust so far in the NFL.

2. Another thing about raw players: they better be making improvement from year to year. Jordan, or a guy like E.J. Manuel, is a good example. If I only look at E.J. Manuel's senior film, he looks like a first round prospect. Mediocre although far from terrible fundamentals, and a great physical skill set. But look at his sophomore and junior film. He doesn't look bad in it, but he looks like the same player. E.J. Manuel has made no improvement in his play since his sophomore and junior seasons. What is the point of a guy who works really hard and never gets any better? The improvement you look for shouldn't just be in stuff like fundamentals, but improvement in the impact he makes for his team. Sure, Johnny Manziel didn't improve from freshman year to sophomore year, but he won the Heisman his freshman year. Although the mild regression is a bit concerning, he couldn't have played much better in 2013 than he did in 2012 (remember, although his fundamentals needed work for the NFL level, from Sumlin's point of view, you can't argue with the results), so the lack of improvement in Manziel is acceptable.

3. The most underrated aspect of scouting quarterbacks is the space efficiency of their mechanics. From a theoretical standpoint, the best way to throw a football is not unlike the way a one throws a baseball. The pitcher’s mechanics maximize velocity more efficiently than any quarterback’s throwing motion. However, practically speaking, there is a huge problem with throwing like a baseball pitcher; it’s not space efficient. When a pitcher throws a baseball, his forward momentum carries him several yards away from where he started the pitch. Quarterbacks don’t have that much room in the pocket. They need to make a throw in a confined area. Generally, the more space efficient the quarterback’s motion is, the more accurate he is under pressure, since he always has room to complete his release. If a quarterback's momentum doesn't carry him too far in his follow through, it's a good indicator of space efficient mechanics and a player who will be accurate under pressure in the NFL.

4. One thing that should be noted about wide receivers is that a slot receiver always helps his team a little bit less than his numbers indicate, for one simple reason: almost all slot receivers can't beat press coverage. When a team has a receiver who can't beat press coverage, there is always one way to cope; line him up off the line of scrimmage. You can't press a wide receiver who doesn't line up on the line of scrimmage. However, NFL rules state you must have 7 guys on the line of scrimmage on every play. So, let's go through the numbers. The quarterback never lines up on the line of scrimmage, nor does the running back. The 5 offensive linemen do line up on the line of scrimmage. Some combination of two tight ends and wide receivers must line up on the line of scrimmage on any given play. If one guy can never beat press coverage, he always makes the job a little bit harder on his teammates, as he forces them to line up on the line of scrimmage. In addition, you can only be in motion if you play off the line of scrimmage, so coaches can use motion to give you and not your teammates easier assignments. There are about 2 receivers in the NFL under 5'11 who are consistently difficult to press. Steve Smith, the scrappiest receiver I have ever seen, who tends to make use of his fury to prevent corners from being able to press him. And Antonio Brown, my first sleeper and favorite player in the NFL, who just contorts his torso in weird ways that give the opposing corner almost no surface area which they can press. He's weird, because although that technique can make it difficult for opposing corners to press, he's basically the only guy I have ever seen who doesn't look significantly slower if he's running with his shoulders nearly perpendicular to the ground. But guys like T.Y. Hilton make the jobs of Coby Fleener a little bit more difficult. The reason why Brandin Cooks isn't a top 10 pick is because he makes the jobs of his teammates a little harder since he pretty much can't line up on the line of scrimmage. This is the main reason you need a wide receiver. It's really hard to have Amendola and Edelman on the field at the same time.

5. Tall body catchers are useless. Especially important to catch with your hands if height is your biggest asset. Your height means nothing if you body catch.

6. The so called tight end movement is really overrated, because many of these guys can't block. I know we live in a passing league, but blocking really does matter for tight ends. The inability to block has made guys like Jordan Cameron, Julius Thomas, Antonio Gates, Greg Olsen, Jermichael Finley, and late in his career Tony Gonzalez really overrated. It's actually quite simple. All of these guys, save Finley who was injured for most of the season, had somewhere between 920 and 780 yards last season, with only one 2 falling out of the 800-900 range. People say "800-900 receiving yards? That's outstanding by the standards of a tight end, pretty much unheard of 15 years ago." Well, let me point this out to you. All of these guys are no more effective as blockers than a wide receiver. Moreover, their blocking is more important, as they are closer to the tackles and their missed blocks are more likely to result in a tackle being made compared to the missed block of a wide receiver. So let me say this: although 800-900 yards is good "for a tight end," if they block like a wide receiver, shouldn't they be held to the standard of a wide receiver in terms of passing production? If you block like a receiver, you have to catch like a wide receiver. Is 800-900 yards good for a wide receiver? It's solid for a #2 receiver, but it sure isn't Pro Bowl caliber. And neither are any of those guys. The one thing that may make the tight end pass catching movement a little more viable is doing what the Panthers did last year: a running back like platoon. I had never seen anything like it, but the Panthers subbed out Olsen last year on likely rushing downs and put in Ben Hartsock. It worked pretty effectively. I think it would be a wise idea for NFL teams to sub out tight ends who can't block for tight ends who can on likely rushing downs. That makes these guys a little more valuable players. I must say though, I'm not saying all tight ends who can't block are bad. Jimmy Graham's blocking isn't much better than that of any of the guys above, but at least he gets 1200 yards and 16 touchdowns in a season. If you can do that, I don't care how bad your blocking is.

7. SEC offensive linemen are almost always underrated, because they are basically the only linemen that get to block 3-4 and 4-3 teams. Over a 3rd of the NFL's defenses use a 3-4 (or, in the case of the Broncos, what I call a 3.5-3.5, a 4-3 base defense that behaves like a 3-4 in the nickel with its substitution patterns and tendency to put Von Miller at defensive end in the nickel). That means over a 3rd of the NFL's defensive ends are over 290lbs. This means that NFL offensive tackles have to be strong enough for mammoths like J.J. Watt and athletic enough for speed demons like Cameron Wake. Almost no is both, but, and, as a result, SEC offensive linemen usually enter the NFL underrated, because they are the only ones who really have to deal with both at the collegiate level (PAC 12 sorta with Stanford, USC, UCLA, although 2 of those defenses are in their infancy), and, as a result, look worse on film against one kind of player or the other. It makes guys like Eric Fisher incredibly overrated; at CMU, he never had to block someone his own size, and we had no reason to believe he would be able to block 3-4 linemen in the NFL. Frankly, his rookie season was fairly disastrous. SEC offensive linemen are pretty much the only ones with legitimate experience against 4-3 and 3-4 linemen, and a guy who proves he is at least passable against both is always underrated.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back