PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2013 Prospect Thread

i like aaron murray, but i think 6 ft 1 isn't a decent height for a nfl quaterback. i would prefer a qb over 6 ft 3 like aj mccarron, who is able to do more than to be the game manager for bama.

I didn't see him mentioned in the thread (maybe I missed it):

Quanterus Smith DE Western Kentucky

He absolutely crashed the Alabama OL when pass rushing.

Quanterus Smith vs Alabama (2012) - YouTube

Pretty good for a guy rated as a 6-7th rounder on CBS. He has some moves and uses his hands well. He doesn't look insanely athletic but he has the size and skill to make a good rusher. The last play bugs me. He looks good on the left side which is important.

i like aaron murray, but i think 6 ft 1 isn't a decent height for a nfl quaterback. i would prefer a qb over 6 ft 3 like aj mccarron, who is able to do more than to be the game manager for bama.

I'd prefer it too, but in general I think height, arm strength, and speed are wildly overrated, and can often be a hindrance.

Pretty good for a guy rated as a 6-7th rounder on CBS. He has some moves and uses his hands well. He doesn't look insanely athletic but he has the size and skill to make a good rusher. The last play bugs me. He looks good on the left side which is important.

I think he's pretty athletic and he really made 1st round grade (not for long) Offensive Tackle D.J. Flucker look very slow and vulnerable.

He still needs work on defending the run and needs to hit an NFL weight room but I think this guy has all the tools to be an aggressive NFL Defensive End (at least on passing downs).

I've seen him graded as high as 4th round (going to us in fact) but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he ends up being at least a 3rd rounder.

I love this hit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbLueaasurY&feature=related

Last edited:
Jackson Jeffcoat, DE/OLB, Texas, son of former Cowboys DE and Texans DL coach Jim Jeffcoat. 6'4", 250, rushes the passer and plays well against the run, would be great to put across from Jones.

I absolutely love Lamarcus Joyner, he's everything I look for in a football player. He won't assume Mark Barron levels of binkydom (no-one will) but he might end up coming close.

I'll start with the negatives:

He's 5'8"

He's a junior.

That's pretty much it.

The positives:

Plays centerfield and demonstrates exceptional instincts and has very good range.

Runs in the 4.4's

Very long arms for his size. If he displays a good vert, his lack of height should be mitigated somewhat.

Hits like a train.

Exceptional kick returner and should be an excellent special teams player all round.

Defensive leader for the 'noles

Plays the game smartly

Has played CB and is good in coverage

If Joyner was 6'0, he'd be the best safety in the draft in my opinion. I don't know if he comes out this year but he plays like a Patriot and would love to get him.

Lamarcus Joyner vs Oklahoma - YouTube

Having just watched his highlight reel, I've decided to upgrade him to Mark Barron status

FSU Lamarcus Joyner 2011 Highlights - YouTube

He's going in my next mock with no hesitation.

Merril Hoge's Tie Knot said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by patriot.de

I'd prefer it too, but in general I think height, arm strength, and speed are wildly overrated, and can often be a hindrance.

any time I see someone gushing over a qb's speed/40 time I laugh...probably one of the most irrelevant stats for a qb. arm strength is only moderately important...most of the great qb's right now don't have cannons

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

I absolutely love Lamarcus Joyner, he's everything I look for in a football player. He won't assume Mark Barron levels of binkydom (no-one will) but he might end up coming close.

I'll start with the negatives:

He's 5'8"

He's a junior.

That's pretty much it.

The positives:

Plays centerfield and demonstrates exceptional instincts and has very good range.

Runs in the 4.4's

Very long arms for his size. If he displays a good vert, his lack of height should be mitigated somewhat.

Hits like a train.

Exceptional kick returner and should be an excellent special teams player all round.

Defensive leader for the 'noles

Plays the game smartly

Has played CB and is good in coverage

If Joyner was 6'0, he'd be the best safety in the draft in my opinion. I don't know if he comes out this year but he plays like a Patriot and would love to get him.

Lamarcus Joyner vs Oklahoma - YouTube

Having just watched his highlight reel, I've decided to upgrade him to Mark Barron status

FSU Lamarcus Joyner 2011 Highlights - YouTube

He's going in my next mock with no hesitation.

He looks good, but he's no Mark Barron. You said that though. One thing to keep in mind is that's true sophomore footage. His junior and senior footage will look even better.

I didn't see him mentioned in the thread (maybe I missed it):

Quanterus Smith DE Western Kentucky

He absolutely crashed the Alabama OL when pass rushing.

Quanterus Smith vs Alabama (2012) - YouTube

Another great game for Quanterus Smith albeit against weaker competition:

7 tackles 5.5 TFL 3.5 sacks 1 pass defended

In only 4 games, he has 9.5 TFL 6.5 sacks 1 pass defended 1 forced fumble

I can't imagine this guy doesn't get picked up in the 3rd round or earlier.

Here's some mid to late round under the radar guys that interest me and I feel worthy of more serious consideration:

Lonnie Pryor, Florida State, FB

GYI0061993452_huge.jpg

When I look at potential draftees, I tend to favour good to outstanding fundamentals over athleticism and raw talent - a RB should be able to blitz pickup, a WR should be able to hands catch and run block, a DB should be able to catch the ball etc. When I watch Lonnie Pryor, he strike me as almost fundamentally perfect. Outstanding at blitz pickup, a very good receiver out of the backfield, a good run blocker and he's no slouch carrying the ball either. He's drawing comparisons to Mike Allstott in his ability to be an all-rounder.

Josh Boyd, DT, Mississippi State

1109134.jpg

He's no Fletcher Cox, but he always stood out when I was watching Fletcher Cox last year. Ideal for that role alongside Wilfork - he's not a NT occupying two linemen every snap and he's not an outstanding interior rusher, but he can defend the run and penetrate well enough that he'll be good for the occasional sack.

Everett Dawkins, DT, Florida State

b45cc61d82ffde22fa885ed8959ead48.jpg

He's another of my good fundamentals guys:

Dawkins will not always put up big time numbers or even make the flashiest play on the field. What has to be appreciated is that he is rarely, if ever caught out of position in an attempt to make those flashy plays are fill the stats. Being able to help collapse the pocket, minimize run gaps. keep blockers off of linebackers and force plays to be strung out and cleaned up by other defenders is what makes Everett Dawkins such a valuable player.

Everett Dawkins now a Senior leader on Elite Defensive Line - Tallahassee Florida State Seminoles | Examiner.com

Omar Hunter, DT, Florida

4cabae04e1caa.preview-300.jpg

A 6'0", 312 lb, NT. For a while there I was taking a serious look at Florida DT Shariff Floyd. But whenever I watched him, my eye was drawn to Omar Hunter. He's nothing flashy but he always seem to be occupying two blockers and not getting moved off the ball. Is he the next Wilfork? No. He might however be an improvement on Ron Brace.

Onterio McCalebb, RB, Auburn

Onterio+McCalebb+Tostitos+BCS+National+Championship+b_pKTWj186Ql.jpg

Fast, good hands, very good returner, McCalebb would be an outstanding back of roster guy. Is similar to Jeff Demps and we'd only carry one presumably but it would be a fascinating pre-season battle to watch.

Who's up for another long super athletic Defensive Lineman (albeit extremely raw)

Ziggy Ansah, DL, BYU

967653.jpg

He's 6'6", between 256 and 270 lbs depending on reports, has run a 21" 200m and although he is a senior, is playing his first full season as a starter having barely played football previously. However, he already has 18tackles so far this season, 5.5 for loss, 1 sack and 3 PBU's. He's going to be a combine beast and although very raw has already displayed talent on the field:

Ezekiel Ansah vs Boise State/Utah (2012) - YouTube

Check out what he does to the Boise State RG at 0:45 in the video.

Beautifull Work, Brother Manx. :cool:

Tom Wort, ILB, Oklahoma went to my high school before moving to Texas. There was talk about him being the first linebacker taken when he declares, but has slid back in projections.

Jordan Rodger, QB, Vanderbilt, brother of Green Bay QB Aaron Rodgers. Projected as late round pick. He's in his second year with Vanderbilt as he was a JUCO transfer.

Another player to watch is Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt, cousin of the legendary Jerry Rice. I saw him while watching film of Rodgers.

Mike Loyko of NE Patriots' Draft looks at prospects from the Oregon-Washington St. game, including my binky Dion Jordan:

#96 Dion Jordan, OLB

- Drops into coverage on first play, opens hips smoothly and easily runs stride for stride with TE
- Does well to get his hands extended and into the OT chest to knock him off balance
- Speed rushes the OT, intentionally gets him to over set and then rips to the inside (similar pass rush move to Chandler Jones)
- Jams slot WR at the line and covers him nicely on drag route across the middle
- Jordan is a big fluid athlete, long arms, and good fluidity
- Quick first step, initially blocked so he executes a very quick and sudden spin move back inside
- Play primarily out of two point stance, has moved out to cover both slot WR and TE, getting good jams on both
- Impressive speed to power rush move on 4th down, speed rushes, gets into chest OT, then recoils and quick step inside forcing quick throw
- Keeps outside leverage, sheds block and makes stop at the line of scrimmage, powerful tackle as well
- Drops into coverage and “buzzes” the flats so well for a player of his size, excellent agility and fluidity
- Getting really good jams on the TE in the red zone, basically taking him out of the play and then rushing
- Slaps the OT hands off him while turning the corner, force QB to step up in the pocket
- Shows good bend when turning the corner, shoulder is able to get under OT with bend in hips/ankles
- Looks like he could be a true DE/OLB combo, he’s a good enough pass rusher to rush on 1st and 2nd down and athletic enough to drop into coverage on passing downs. A true three down End of the line player. He will be a hot commodity

2013 NFL Draft Scouting Notes: Oregon vs. Washington State | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2013 NFL Draft

Initial Senior Bowl "watch list" from Draftinsider:

Senior Bowl Updates Inaugural Watch List

That's a tremendous list, and doesn't include any of the possible juniors. I'd be happy to field a draft consisting of some of the following:

RB: Andre Ellington (Clemson),
WR: Terrance Williams (Baylor), Cobi Hamilton (Arkansas), Aaron Dobson (Marshal), Aaron Mellette (Elon), Connor Vernon (Duke), Quinton Patton (Louisiana Tech), Ryan Swope (Texas A&M), Tavon Austin (West Virginia)
TE: Tyler Eifert (Notre Dame), Michael Williams (Alabama), Joseph Fauria (UCLA), Jake Stoneburner (Ohio St.)
OT: Brennan Williams (North Carolina), Luke Marquardt (Asuza Pacific)
OG/C: Chance Warmack (Alabama), Barrett Jones (Alabama), Johnathan Cooper (North Carolina), Dallas Thomas (Tennessee), Mark Jackson (Glenville), Khaled Holmes (USC)

DT: Star Lotulelei (Utah), Jesse Williams (Alabama), John Jenkins (Georgia), Kawann Short (Purdue), Sylvester Williams (North Carolina), Everette Dawkins (Florida), Montori Hughes (Tennessee-Martin)
DE: Dion Jordan (Oregon), Tank Carradine (Florida St.), Margus Hunt (SMU), Quinton Dial (Alabama), David Bass (Missouri Western), John Simon (Ohio St.), Michael Buchanan (Illinois), Devin Taylor (South Carolina), Alex Okafor (Texas), Datone Jones (UCLA)
LB: Manti Te'o (Notre Dame), Cornelius Washington (Georgia), Shayne Skov (Stanford), Chase Thomas (Stanford)
CB: Johnathan Banks (Miss St.), Blidi Wreh-Wilson (UConn),
S: TJ McDonald (USC)

Initial Senior Bowl "watch list" from Draftinsider:

Senior Bowl Updates Inaugural Watch List

That's a tremendous list, and doesn't include any of the possible juniors. I'd be happy to field a draft consisting of some of the following:

RB: Andre Ellington (Clemson),
WR: Terrance Williams (Baylor), Cobi Hamilton (Arkansas), Aaron Dobson (Marshal), Aaron Mellette (Elon), Connor Vernon (Duke), Quinton Patton (Louisiana Tech), Ryan Swope (Texas A&M), Tavon Austin (West Virginia)
TE: Tyler Eifert (Notre Dame), Michael Williams (Alabama), Joseph Fauria (UCLA), Jake Stoneburner (Ohio St.)
OT: Brennan Williams (North Carolina), Luke Marquardt (Asuza Pacific)
OG/C: Chance Warmack (Alabama), Barrett Jones (Alabama), Johnathan Cooper (North Carolina), Dallas Thomas (Tennessee), Mark Jackson (Glenville), Khaled Holmes (USC)

DT: Star Lotulelei (Utah), Jesse Williams (Alabama), John Jenkins (Georgia), Kawann Short (Purdue), Sylvester Williams (North Carolina), Everette Dawkins (Florida), Montori Hughes (Tennessee-Martin)
DE: Dion Jordan (Oregon), Tank Carradine (Florida St.), Margus Hunt (SMU), Quinton Dial (Alabama), David Bass (Missouri Western), John Simon (Ohio St.), Michael Buchanan (Illinois), Devin Taylor (South Carolina), Alex Okafor (Texas), Datone Jones (UCLA)
LB: Manti Te'o (Notre Dame), Cornelius Washington (Georgia), Shayne Skov (Stanford), Chase Thomas (Stanford)
CB: Johnathan Banks (Miss St.), Blidi Wreh-Wilson (UConn),
S: TJ McDonald (USC)

Watching these two the other day made me wish we were still a 3-4 team.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back