PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2013 Prospect Thread

Any thoughts on Alex Okafor, DE Texas and comparisons of Alex Okafor versus Carradine?

Any thoughts on Josh Boyd, DT Mississippi State and comparisons of Josh Boyd versus Jesse Williams?

I'm not very high on Okafor. He's not a good tackler, his athleticism is mediocre on film, and his effort comes and goes.

I liked what I saw from Boyd last year, but he's out of shape right now. Added lots of fat over the offseason. We'll see if he regains form. I give Williams the edge.

I'm not very high on Okafor. He's not a good tackler, his athleticism is mediocre on film, and his effort comes and goes.

I liked what I saw from Boyd last year, but he's out of shape right now. Added lots of fat over the offseason. We'll see if he regains form. I give Williams the edge.
Thanks for your input.

You Patriots fans are really polite.

Only on the draft board. :D

As I said above, I don't always agree with your assessments, but I value them, and I take them seriously, so thanks for your input. At the very least it makes me go back and look at more film of guys, or look at guys that I haven't otherwise paid attention to.

Thanks for taking the time, Mackenzie.

Which fullbacks do you like?

Which day 2 and 3 safeties do you like?

Thanks for taking the time, Mackenzie.

Which fullbacks do you like?

Which day 2 and 3 safeties do you like?
Can't go wrong with Lonnie Pryor.

I love John Boyett. People say he lacks speed. Frankly, that doesn't matter at all, since his play recognition skills are so terrific that he always knows exactly where to be. A lot to like there.

Dexter McCoil is definitely a guy worth keeping an eye on. Before this season, when I watched him, he was an incredibly rangy safety with good athleticism, incredible length, and awesome ball skills. His effort and toughness was subpar, and he lacked bulk, but his frame oozed potential. I haven't gotten a chance to see him in 2012 yet, but he apparently added 20lbs this offseason, and, if it was 20lbs of toughness, you could be talking about a future pro-bowl safety. His physical skill set and ball skills were that impressive.

Georgia has the best safety tandem in college football in Bacarri Rambo and Shawn Williams. Rambo may have off the field issues, but his motor and toughness is terrific, and that's something to build on. He's great in every other aspect of the game. Williams is mistake free against the pass, a playmaker against the run. He's one of the most underrated players in this draft class.

California PA safety Rontez Miles is a stud. It may be DII competition, but, according to my notes, he can do no wrong.
"Rontez Miles #9 senior safety Kent State transfer average height above average bulk solid speed average numbers got 71 tackles and 5 interceptions in 2011 stats suggest he has solid hands really hard hitter loves to go for big hits instead of making sure tackles excellent strength phenomenal football speed can take guys out by their legs California (Pennsylvania) uses a 4-2-5 really strong fearless tackler excellent instincts plays hard good in coverage awesome against the run awesome body control really long arms impressive length and range great tackler really impressive instincts in coverage can read the quarterback’s eyes very quick accelerates quickly plays really hard looks impressive may be DII competition but he looks close to flawless really hard hitter could get defenseless receiver penalties in the NFL really strong fast and powerful really good playmaker rarely misses tackles tough but could still improve tackling fundamentals never seems to make mistakes in coverage impressive range in coverage hard hitter disguises his assignment brilliantly hides his intentions to cover for blitzing nickelbacks with ease looks brilliant good tackler doesn’t wrap up too well and will allow yards after contact but really can take out a guy’s legs can make tackles from behind excellent in run support prevents big plays good tackler excellent instincts in coverage so fast intimidating to running backs that see him coming needs to learn to wrap up takes ideal angles to the ball stops all screen plays could do no wrong against St. Cloud State could be more physical when does wrap up transferred because of poor grades recruited to SEC schools but went to Kent State to play alongside his stepbrother pretty tough plays hard could improve hand usage needs to learn how to fight off blocks and use his hands looks perfect plays hard good tackler great instincts really quick accelerates quickly can make plays in coverage long arms"

i want Zack Boren as our FB. He can play H back, f back and catch the ball. He can run the ball too.

And he is the Captain of the team.

i want Zack Boren as our FB. He can play H back, f back and catch the ball. He can run the ball too.

That would be a fine choice. To be frank, this class is weak in traditional fullbacks. Most of the "fullbacks" of this year's class are simply heavy running backs that ran a nice 40 during off-season workouts (Devonte Campbell, Richard Samuel IV, Taimi Tutogi, even Devon Ramsey to some extent)

Can't go wrong with Lonnie Pryor.

I love John Boyett. People say he lacks speed. Frankly, that doesn't matter at all, since his play recognition skills are so terrific that he always knows exactly where to be. A lot to like there.

Dexter McCoil is definitely a guy worth keeping an eye on. Before this season, when I watched him, he was an incredibly rangy safety with good athleticism, incredible length, and awesome ball skills. His effort and toughness was subpar, and he lacked bulk, but his frame oozed potential. I haven't gotten a chance to see him in 2012 yet, but he apparently added 20lbs this offseason, and, if it was 20lbs of toughness, you could be talking about a future pro-bowl safety. His physical skill set and ball skills were that impressive.

Georgia has the best safety tandem in college football in Bacarri Rambo and Shawn Williams. Rambo may have off the field issues, but his motor and toughness is terrific, and that's something to build on. He's great in every other aspect of the game. Williams is mistake free against the pass, a playmaker against the run. He's one of the most underrated players in this draft class.

California PA safety Rontez Miles is a stud. It may be DII competition, but, according to my notes, he can do no wrong.
"Rontez Miles #9 senior safety Kent State transfer average height above average bulk solid speed average numbers got 71 tackles and 5 interceptions in 2011 stats suggest he has solid hands really hard hitter loves to go for big hits instead of making sure tackles excellent strength phenomenal football speed can take guys out by their legs California (Pennsylvania) uses a 4-2-5 really strong fearless tackler excellent instincts plays hard good in coverage awesome against the run awesome body control really long arms impressive length and range great tackler really impressive instincts in coverage can read the quarterback’s eyes very quick accelerates quickly plays really hard looks impressive may be DII competition but he looks close to flawless really hard hitter could get defenseless receiver penalties in the NFL really strong fast and powerful really good playmaker rarely misses tackles tough but could still improve tackling fundamentals never seems to make mistakes in coverage impressive range in coverage hard hitter disguises his assignment brilliantly hides his intentions to cover for blitzing nickelbacks with ease looks brilliant good tackler doesn’t wrap up too well and will allow yards after contact but really can take out a guy’s legs can make tackles from behind excellent in run support prevents big plays good tackler excellent instincts in coverage so fast intimidating to running backs that see him coming needs to learn to wrap up takes ideal angles to the ball stops all screen plays could do no wrong against St. Cloud State could be more physical when does wrap up transferred because of poor grades recruited to SEC schools but went to Kent State to play alongside his stepbrother pretty tough plays hard could improve hand usage needs to learn how to fight off blocks and use his hands looks perfect plays hard good tackler great instincts really quick accelerates quickly can make plays in coverage long arms"

I like Boyett and Williams too, and I can't wait to see McCoil and Miles.

Do you like Daimion Stafford?

Thanks.

I like him too. I mocked him to us in the 7th about a week ago.

I want Tavon Austin. He might be a little redundant with Demps in a few ways (especially returning), but I like what he adds as a receiver. The Pats have a history of playing smaller guys as outside receivers, and he's got the speed that Branch and Welker don't have outside.

Also, I'm a name guy. The Pats definitely need to have the only two Tavons in the NFL.

I've got Williams as our 2nd round pick in my early mock, and for good reason. Completely underrated and would be a great pick to fill the possible absence of Chung.

I like Boyett and Williams too, and I can't wait to see McCoil and Miles.

Do you like Daimion Stafford?

Thanks.

I like him too. I mocked him to us in the 7th about a week ago.

If you watch McCoil, I can't guarantee you will be impressed. I don't know how much his effort has improved, and he still needs to work on his route recognition skills, but he's like Ed Reed with the ball in the air and has Kenny Phillips' body.

It's much easier to get game film on Miles than you would expect. For some inexplicable reason, Fox College Sports Atlantic (FCSA) has a TV deal with California PA (who knew?), and it's very easy to see their games your cable includes the Digital Sports Package. All of their games are nationally broadcasted.

I haven't closely paid attention to Stafford (two games of film from last year), but he looked pretty good from what I saw.

I've got Williams as our 2nd round pick in my early mock, and for good reason. Completely underrated and would be a great pick to fill the possible absence of Chung.
Not only are you Patriots fans polite. You are also smart. I'm from Cincinnati, and here, the fans are always angry. Robert Kraft>Mike Brown

I want Tavon Austin. He might be a little redundant with Demps in a few ways (especially returning), but I like what he adds as a receiver. The Pats have a history of playing smaller guys as outside receivers, and he's got the speed that Branch and Welker don't have outside.

Also, I'm a name guy. The Pats definitely need to have the only two Tavons in the NFL.

Love this guy. Electric player in the Percy Harvin mold. Although I'd feel guilty taking a player like this in the mid 2nd with so many other needs I can't help but wonder of the ways he could be used. Simply put, the stupid negative kick returner threads would finally be laid to rest immediately. Downright playmaker who can line up as a wr/rb/kr/pr. So much value.

Receiver has always been my favorite position to scout, mostly because I'm pretty good at it. I called Antonio Brown the most underrated prospect of the 2010 draft, and I was the one guy crazy enough to say he was worthy of a late first round pick. Tavon Austin is the only player I have ever seen who rivals Brown in terms of quickness and change of direction skills. I love it. The senior wide receiver class sucks, but I have no objections with Austin being a late second rounder.

One safety I forgot to mention: Matt Elam may be 5'10, 205lbs, but he tackles like he is 6'4, 240lbs. Think T.J. Ward with more speed.

If you guys do want my advice, I'll give you guys an ideal mock draft (guys you should hope for, not predictions).

1. T.J. McDonald, S, USC

I wrote about McDonald earlier this year (I still can't post links, so just add http : / /)
nflmocks.com/2012/08/13/t-j-mcdonald-2013-nfl-draft-scouting-report/
He's an instinctive, mistake free safety with good strength and excellent tackling ability. He lacks the quickness to jump routes, so he's not much of a ball hawk, but he is very smart and is always in good position. Right now, his thin frame and tight hips mean that he doesn't profile too well in man coverage right now (too stiff for slot receivers, not bulky enough to cover tight ends), but, if he adds 20lbs, he could be a great strong safety that fits the Bernard Pollard mold. I'm not sure there are many safer picks in the draft.

2. Aaron Hester/Sheldon Price, CB's, UCLA

First off, I know that it is strange to put two players together, but Price and Hester are pretty much identical and are the most underrated corners in football. I wrote about them earlier this year:
nflmocks.com/2012/05/31/sheldon-price-2013-nfl-draft-scouting-report/
nflmocks.com/2012/05/31/aaron-hester-2013-nfl-draft-scouting-report/
I've always had a thing for UCLA corners (Alterraun Verner!), and these two are absolutely terrific. Watch last year's Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl. See what these two do against A.J. Jenkins in man coverage. It was domination like I've never seen before. Jenkins made a 60 yard catch against zone coverage late in the game (admittedly, Hester may have thought it was supposed to be cover 2 instead of cover 3), but, in man coverage, between the two of them Hester and Price yielded 3 catches for 12 yards on 11 targets in the game. That's some kind of domination on a future first round pick. You know what's most surprising? Both Hester and Price are knocked for a lack of speed (4.56 40's). But, in that game (and every other game I've seen them play), no receiver could get any separation from them in man coverage. In football cleats, they are faster than guys like Jenkins. They could jam Jenkins release off the line of scrimmage and give themselves no cushion, but Jenkins still never had a chance. Price and Hester were too fast. Not too mention, they are big (both are 6'1). A couple years ago, I wrote an article saying that big corners who can really jam are the secret key to a well disguised blitz scheme. The numbers supported my hypothesis:
nflmocks.com/2011/06/28/the-secret-key-to-a-well-disguised-blitz-scheme/
My logic was this: one of the greatest ways to know a blitz is coming is checking out where the safeties are lining up. A safety's typical assignment is a cover 2 deep zone. However, let's say the defense calls a strongside linebacker blitz. Who covers the tight end? It's usually the strong safety. Well, if a safety is going into a deep zone, he usually lines up about 11 yards off the line of scrimmage. However, if he's covering for a blitzing linebacker, he needs to line up closer to the line of scrimmage, he needs to line up in the box so he can cover the tight end. As soon as the quarterback sees the safety in the box, he assumes a blitz is coming. So what does this have to do with big corners? If your corners can really jam the release of a wide receiver off the line of scrimmage, then it will take that receiver extra time to get into his route. Say jamming the release takes the receiver only 1 second longer to get into his route. If it's taking receivers longer to get into their routes, then teams have the option of letting their safety cheat up. You can put your safeties in the box while playing cover 2, because they can still get into a cover 2 deep zone if the release of the wide receiver is effectively jammed. And, if you can put one or both of your safeties in the box on every play, yet they still have time to get into a cover 2 deep zone, then you have an awesome weapon my friend. Hester and Price both fit the Al Harris mold with their size, physicality, and on field awareness.

3. Cameron Lawrence, OLB, Mississippi State

You guys run a 4-3, right? I've always had a thing for Mississippi State outside linebacker (I called K.J. Wright the most underrated prospect of the 2011 draft). Lawrence packs a punch for his size (really, really strong), he has good instincts, and he's a solid athlete. One of the best linebackers in the SEC. If you get him, you will not regret it.

4. David Bass, DE, Missouri Western State

You guys knew I would put Bass in here, right? I admittedly have only seen him once. It's not easy to get Missouri Western State game film. But god, did he impress me in that Central Missouri game. You've already seen the scouting report. Does everything against the pass and amazing movement skills for a guy his size. Definitely worth drafting.

5. Aaron Mellette, WR, Elon

Another guy I've only seen once, Aaron Mellette is a solid player. With his good hands, good size, great route running, and his surprising knack for YAC, he reminds me of a small school Chad Ochocinco (not Ochostinko). I wrote about him in more detail earlier this year:
nflmocks.com/2012/05/12/aaron-mellette-2013-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

6. Zac Stacy, RB, Vanderbilt

Maybe the most underrated prospect of the draft. A truly unnatural ratio of power to size, consistently puts up incredible stats in spite of impossibly difficult competition and a horrible supporting cast. Had a higher yards per carry than Trent Richardson last year. Think Mark Ingram
nflmocks.com/2012/05/12/zac-stacy-2012-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

7. Rontez Miles, S, California (PA)

I told you guys what I think of Miles. I don't care what the competition is. Perfect football is perfect football.

Other guys to keep an eye on: Jonathan Brown (if he enters the draft), Jonathan Cooper, Brad Sorensen, all of the safeties I have mentioned, Devin Taylor

Last edited:
If you guys do want my advice, I'll give you guys an ideal mock draft (guys you should hope for, not predictions).

1. T.J. McDonald, S, USC

I wrote about McDonald earlier this year (I still can't post links, so just add http : / /)
nflmocks.com/2012/08/13/t-j-mcdonald-2013-nfl-draft-scouting-report/
He's an instinctive, mistake free safety with good strength and excellent tackling ability. He lacks the quickness to jump routes, so he's not much of a ball hawk, but he is very smart and is always in good position. Right now, his thin frame and tight hips mean that he doesn't profile too well in man coverage right now (too stiff for slot receivers, not bulky enough to cover tight ends), but, if he adds 20lbs, he could be a great strong safety that fits the Bernard Pollard mold. I'm not sure there are many safer picks in the draft.

2. Aaron Hester/Sheldon Price, CB's, UCLA

First off, I know that it is strange to put two players together, but Price and Hester are pretty much identical and are the most underrated corners in football. I wrote about them earlier this year:
nflmocks.com/2012/05/31/sheldon-price-2013-nfl-draft-scouting-report/
nflmocks.com/2012/05/31/aaron-hester-2013-nfl-draft-scouting-report/
I've always had a thing for UCLA corners (Alterraun Verner!), and these two are absolutely terrific. Watch last year's Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl. See what these two do against A.J. Jenkins in man coverage. It was domination like I've never seen before. Jenkins made a 60 yard catch against zone coverage late in the game (admittedly, Hester may have thought it was supposed to be cover 2 instead of cover 3), but, in man coverage, between the two of them Hester and Price yielded 3 catches for 12 yards on 11 targets in the game. That's some kind of domination on a future first round pick. You know what's most surprising? Both Hester and Price are knocked for a lack of speed (4.56 40's). But, in that game (and every other game I've seen them play), no receiver could get any separation from them in man coverage. In football cleats, they are faster than guys like Jenkins. They could jam Jenkins release off the line of scrimmage and give themselves no cushion, but Jenkins still never had a chance. Price and Hester were too fast. Not too mention, they are big (both are 6'1). A couple years ago, I wrote an article saying that big corners who can really jam are the secret key to a well disguised blitz scheme. The numbers supported my hypothesis:
nflmocks.com/2011/06/28/the-secret-key-to-a-well-disguised-blitz-scheme/
My logic was this: one of the greatest ways to know a blitz is coming is checking out where the safeties are lining up. A safety's typical assignment is a cover 2 deep zone. However, let's say the defense calls a strongside linebacker blitz. Who covers the tight end? It's usually the strong safety. Well, if a safety is going into a deep zone, he usually lines up about 11 yards off the line of scrimmage. However, if he's covering for a blitzing linebacker, he needs to line up closer to the line of scrimmage, he needs to line up in the box so he can cover the tight end. As soon as the quarterback sees the safety in the box, he assumes a blitz is coming. So what does this have to do with big corners? If your corners can really jam the release of a wide receiver off the line of scrimmage, then it will take that receiver extra time to get into his route. Say jamming the release takes the receiver only 1 second longer to get into his route. If it's taking receivers longer to get into their routes, then teams have the option of letting their safety cheat up. You can put your safeties in the box while playing cover 2, because they can still get into a cover 2 deep zone if the release of the wide receiver is effectively jammed. And, if you can put one or both of your safeties in the box on every play, yet they still have time to get into a cover 2 deep zone, then you have an awesome weapon my friend. Hester and Price both fit the Al Harris mold with their size, physicality, and on field awareness.

3. Cameron Lawrence, OLB, Mississippi State

You guys run a 4-3, right? I've always had a thing for Mississippi State outside linebacker (I called K.J. Wright the most underrated prospect of the 2011 draft). Lawrence packs a punch for his size (really, really strong), he has good instincts, and he's a solid athlete. One of the best linebackers in the SEC. If you get him, you will not regret it.

4. David Bass, DE, Missouri Western State

You guys knew I would put Bass in here, right? I admittedly have only seen him once. It's not easy to get Missouri Western State game film. But god, did he impress me in that Central Missouri game. You've already seen the scouting report. Does everything against the pass and amazing movement skills for a guy his size. Definitely worth drafting.

5. Aaron Mellette, WR, Elon

Another guy I've only seen once, Aaron Mellette is a solid player. With his good hands, good size, great route running, and his surprising knack for YAC, he reminds me of a small school Chad Ochocinco (not Ochostinko). I wrote about him in more detail earlier this year:
nflmocks.com/2012/05/12/aaron-mellette-2013-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

6. Zac Stacy, RB, Vanderbilt

Maybe the most underrated prospect of the draft. A truly unnatural ratio of power to size, consistently puts up incredible stats in spite of impossibly difficult competition and a horrible supporting cast. Had a higher yards per carry than Trent Richardson last year. Think Mark Ingram
nflmocks.com/2012/05/12/zac-stacy-2012-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

7. Rontez Miles, S, California (PA)

I told you guys what I think of Miles. I don't care what the competition is. Perfect football is perfect football.

Other guys to keep an eye on: Jonathan Brown (if he enters the draft), Jonathan Cooper, Brad Sorensen, all of the safeties I have mentioned, Devin Taylor

Thanks for posting, I've enjoyed your work thus far. I've really taken a liking to Bass and have coveted him tremendously. The lack of tape is frustrating but that also might make him more affordable for us.

Thanks for posting, I've enjoyed your work thus far. I've really taken a liking to Bass and have coveted him tremendously. The lack of tape is frustrating but that also might make him more affordable for us.

I agree. Good stuff so far.

Welcome, and keep it up.

One more sleeper: if you consider quickness to be a valuable trait in a football player, than Dominique Easley of Florida is your man. Jaw dropping quickness off the ball. Easily the most quickness of any defensive tackle in this draft class. As quick as Yao Ming is tall.

One more sleeper: if you consider quickness to be a valuable trait in a football player, than Dominique Easley of Florida is your man. Jaw dropping quickness off the ball. Easily the most quickness of any defensive tackle in this draft class. As quick as Yao Ming is tall.

I consider quickness (the ability to explosively accelerate and decelerate), or "Launch" in Gridian terms, to be one of THE most important attributes in a football player. I'll check him out, thanks.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back