PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2013 Prospect Thread

Any thoughts on potential late-round/UDFA QBs?

If they plan to trade Mallett at some point, they'd be better off with somebody in the pipeline.

I think this is the perfect year to grab a QB. With the amount of 1st and 2nd year starters in the league as well as the established guys, the demand for QB's at the moment isn't that high. Add in a very deep Senior QB group and some underclassmen that may declare and the supply greatly outweighs demand. So I think we are going to see some quality QB's go off the board late or as UDFA. Someone like a Ryan Nassib or Mike Glennon could be a very good developmental guy late. Or maybe even an EJ Manuel is they look for more of an athlete. I think on draft day(s) we will see some real shocks with QBs. Right now I don't think Landry Jones from Oklahoma goes higher than the 5th round.

Any thoughts on potential late-round/UDFA QBs?

If they plan to trade Mallett at some point, they'd be better off with somebody in the pipeline.

I'd say that as they have no-one else in the pipeline, Mallett is almost certainly being lined up as Brady's successor. No harm in drafting some competition but I highly doubt Mallett is being lined up to be traded.

I like Emory Blake (WR, Auburn) as a practice squad candidate that can be lined up as a future Brandon Lloyd replacement. He's not particularly explosive which will keep his stock low, but he has that Lloyd ability to adjust to the ball in the air. He runs good routes and does everything asked of him.

Emory Blake vs Georgia - YouTube

I'd say that as they have no-one else in the pipeline, Mallett is almost certainly being lined up as Brady's successor. No harm in drafting some competition but I highly doubt Mallett is being lined up to be traded.

The one problem with that is that both of them have contracts that expire in 2014. . . .

Yes, it seems like that ship has sailed. Even OTG might agree with that!

Ignoring the top 25 on NFL Draftscout's list, here are some of the guys I think are interesting (juniors with an *):

38. Jesse Williams, DE/DT, Alabama. A stronger, more powerful version of Red Bryant.

66. Cornelius "Tank" Carradine, DE, Florida St. Would make a great bookend t Chandler Jones.

70. Tony Jefferson*, S, Oklahoma. A poor man's Earl Thomas.

75. Dion Jordan, DE/OLB/DB, Oreogn. My favorite player in the draft. A defensive Aaron Hernandez.

76. Justin Gilbert*, CB/S, Oklahoma. A big DB with excellent ball skills.

116. Jordan Reed*, TE, Florida. A second "move TE" along with Aaron Hernandez would present tremendous challenges for opposing defenses.

128. Cobi Hamilton, WR, Arkansas.

130. Michael Williams, TE, Alabama. If the Pats can find room to sign Michael Hoomananduwi as an extra blocking TE, they have room for Williams.

143. Devin Taylor, DE, South Carolina. See Cornelius Carradine.

149. Aaron Mellette, WR, Elon.

151. Seantrel Henderson*, OT, Miami. Has issues, but has the raw tools to be a beast at RT.

165. Joseph Fauria, TE, UCLA. As a day 3 pick, I love him.

176. Kenny Tate, DB/LB, Maryland. Might have a role as a tweener. Worth a look on day 3.

194. Ryan Swope, WR, Texas A&M.

197. Mark Jackson, OT/OG, Glenville. Former Illinois recruit with good feet for his size.

Not listed:

- OT Gabe Marquardt.
- OT Kyle Long.
- DT Brandon Moore.

I'm with you on (Jesse) Williams, Jordan, Reed, Hamilton, and (Michael) Williams, but you probably know that. My list is in it's very preliminary stages.

Players I like:

25. Barrett Jones, OL Alabama. He's top 25 but I'm putting him on the list anyway.

79. Aaron Murray*, QB UGA. He's got everything I look for in a QB.

163. Rashard Hall, S Clemson. Might be too much of a free safety for BB but I love this guys cover skills.

228. Quinton Dial, DT Alabama. He does it all, he has it all.

231. Blaize Foltz, OG TCU. Huge upside with the size BB prefers at guard.

384. Dave Kruger, DT Utah. I discovered this guy while scouting Lotulelei. He's probably the most underrated player right now IMO.

Unlisted: Jalston Fowler*, FB Alabama. Unlikely he declares this season after the knee injury but I think it's worth listing him.

Unlisted: AJ McCarron*, QB Alabama. I like this guy, he has a little Brady in him.

Players I'm interested in:

28. Xavier Rhodes*, CB FSU

42. DaRick Rogers*, WR Tennessee Tech

45. Jonathan Cooper, OG UNC

99. Shawn Williams, S UGA

134. Cornelius Washington, DE UGA. Freakish size and athleticism.

137. Daimion Stafford, S Nebraska

141. Blidi Wreh-Wilson, CB UConn

216. Jordan Kovacs, S Michigan

246. Zach Line, FB SMU

272. Zach Boren, FB Ohio State

321. Ray Ray Armstrong, S Faulkner

332. Braden Wilson, FB/TE Kansas State

500. Jonathan Meeks, S Clemson

Unlisted: Levine Toilolo, TE Stanford. Anybody know why he isn't listed?

I'm with you on (Jesse) Williams, Jordan, Reed, Hamilton, and (Michael) Williams, but you probably know that. My list is in it's very preliminary stages.

Players I like:

25. Barrett Jones, OL Alabama. He's top 25 but I'm putting him on the list anyway.

79. Aaron Murray*, QB UGA. He's got everything I look for in a QB.

163. Rashard Hall, S Clemson. Might be too much of a free safety for BB but I love this guys cover skills.

228. Quinton Dial, DT Alabama. He does it all, he has it all.

231. Blaize Foltz, OG TCU. Huge upside with the size BB prefers at guard.

384. Dave Kruger, DT Utah. I discovered this guy while scouting Lotulelei. He's probably the most underrated player right now IMO.

Unlisted: Jalston Fowler*, FB Alabama. Unlikely he declares this season after the knee injury but I think it's worth listing him.

Unlisted: AJ McCarron*, QB Alabama. I like this guy, he has a little Brady in him.

Players I'm interested in:

28. Xavier Rhodes*, CB FSU

42. DaRick Rogers*, WR Tennessee Tech

45. Jonathan Cooper, OG UNC

99. Shawn Williams, S UGA

134. Cornelius Washington, DE UGA. Freakish size and athleticism.

137. Daimion Stafford, S Nebraska

141. Blidi Wreh-Wilson, CB UConn

216. Jordan Kovacs, S Michigan

246. Zach Line, FB SMU

272. Zach Boren, FB Ohio State

321. Ray Ray Armstrong, S Faulkner

332. Braden Wilson, FB/TE Kansas State

500. Jonathan Meeks, S Clemson

Levine Toilolo has been on my list since last year. Not sure why he's not listed for Draftscout. And I've been touting AJ McCarron as my Brady understudy for a while now. I'd love to get him - I think there's more than a little of TB in McCarron. No other college QB comes close right now, as far as I'm concerned. His intangibles are off the charts.

Cornelius Washington is a freakish athlete, but I haven't been impressed when I've watched him. But you watch Georgia more than I do.

Yes, it seems like that ship has sailed.

Even OTG might agree with that!

starwars-vader-nooo-e1325030683532.jpg

There's a few juniors they don't have listed. My ultimate binky, Alec Ogletree isn't on there either and there's some others too.

No other college QB comes close right now, as far as I'm concerned. His intangibles are off the charts.

And intangibles are like 90% of being an elite QB.

Cornelius Washington is a freakish athlete, but I haven't been impressed when I've watched him. But you watch Georgia more than I do.

Actually, Washington is kind of unimpressive compared to his skill set, but I think he could excel as a sub-rusher. Just let him forget about responsibilities and go hunt the quarterback. I just hope he doesn't get too heavy. He's playing 3-4 DE this season.

If Deion Branch can be cut and then resigned so can Hoyer, trade Mallett and resign Hoyer. Mallett uses different throwing mechanics on practically every pass, it shouldnt be any wonder why he's so inaccurate.

The best player no-one's heard of (or at least I haven't):

Trevardo Williams, DE/OLB, UConn

6'2", 233 lbs (not so good)

4.4 speed (yowzer!!)

hi-res-4083278_display_image.jpg

Every year there's a video that makes me sit up and notice. This might be that video this year. This guy hasn't got ideal size for a pass rusher but that speed is something else. On top of that, unlike Bruce Irvin last year, this guy actually demonstrates some strength, pushing back opposing tackles. He shows some nice gap integrity too. I think he's more Jarvis Jones than Bruce Irvin, and he's not Jarvis Jones lite either; he was second in the nation last year in terms of sacks per game average.

So do we need a pass rushing SLB?

Trevardo Williams vs NC State (2012) - YouTube

NFLDraftScout have him as a 3rd rounder.

If Deion Branch can be cut and then resigned so can Hoyer, trade Mallett and resign Hoyer. Mallett uses different throwing mechanics on practically every pass, it shouldnt be any wonder why he's so inaccurate.

Why didn't they do that this off-season? The Pats obviously have a level of comfort with Mallett to have him as the sole backup to Brady. The future? Maybe not, but the window to find the Brady replacement is narrowing and if they don't look in the draft this year it could be because they see Mallett as that guy.

Unless they can find a way to get Teddy Bridgewater when he comes out - best QB in College football as far as I'm concerned.

For brothers Mayo and Merrill.

Thought you might like this tweet from Dane Brugler:

Talked to a scout this week about #Oregon DE Dion Jordan...he compared him to #Patriots first round pick DE Chandler Jones

https://twitter.com/dpbrugler/status/251348100562710528

Edit: Which means that if scouts are thinking this, you're going to have to put him in the first rounds of your mock ;)

Last edited:
For brothers Mayo and Merrill.

Thought you might like this tweet from Dane Brugler:

https://twitter.com/dpbrugler/status/251348100562710528

Edit: Which means that if scouts are thinking this, you're going to have to put him in the first rounds of your mock ;)

Shhh ....

MHTK and I have known Dion Jordan is a 1st round talent for a long time. No surprise there. So is Jesse Williams. So is Tank Carradine. Those are my top 3 guys, and I think they will end up being as good pros as Star Lotulelei, Johnathan Hankins, Barkevious Mingo, Sam Montgomery and Bjoern Werner. But please don't tell anyone.

Why didn't they do that this off-season? The Pats obviously have a level of comfort with Mallett to have him as the sole backup to Brady. The future? Maybe not, but the window to find the Brady replacement is narrowing and if they don't look in the draft this year it could be because they see Mallett as that guy.

Unless they can find a way to get Teddy Bridgewater when he comes out - best QB in College football as far as I'm concerned.

It could be that Hoyer is safe to cut and Mallett wouldnt be, and that Mallett's trade value isn't high enough for them yet.

I don't know much about Teddy Bridgewater but I'll check him out.

It could be that Hoyer is safe to cut and Mallett wouldnt be, and that Mallett's trade value isn't high enough for them yet.

I don't know much about Teddy Bridgewater but I'll check him out.

I hadn't seen him until today. Great arm strength, great touch, works a pro-style offense and yet still has an 80%+ accuracy this season (no gimmicky short dunks in their offense). He's a soph but might be a good outside bet for the Heisman this year and unfortunately, he could be a number one overall in the next couple of years based on what I saw. So we'll need to suck really bad or work a phenomenal trade.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back