PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2013 Prospect Thread

Funny how things can change so quickly. The right side of the line looked pretty strong last year with Waters and Vollmer. Now we should expect to move forward without Waters, and Vollmer will probably be limited for the rest of his tenure here.
Dan Connolly turns 31 years of age at the start of the 2013 NFL Season and Sebastian Vollmer turns 29 years of age at the start of the 2013 NFL Season. In contrast, Patrick Chung turns 26 years of age at the start of the 2013 NFL Season. Chung and Vollmer will be both unrestricted free agents in calendar year 2013.

Dan Connolly suffered a concussion in the Tennessee Titans game which may not have been his first.

I personally feel the New England Patriots will re-sign Patrick Chung and allow Kyle Arrington to depart via unrestricted free agency. Patrick Chung also participates in two of the special teams units. As for safeties amended to the 2013 New England Patriots roster, that may depend on the performance of Steven Gregory this season.

The cornerback market is way too inflated these days with outrageous contracts doled out.

I agree with you on PC and Arrington. When healthy, Chung is an above average to very good SS. Arrington's numbers looked good on paper last year, but every time I watch the dude he consistently gets beat when forced to cover man to man. He's a JAG in my book. I could see him moving on to "green"er pastures if somebody wants to spend some money on him.

The cornerback market is inflated, but with the rules the way they are, that isn't likely to change. They are a premium position now. McCourty really disappointed last year, but has looked much better this year. Hopefully that continues to be that way. Ras-I's inactive last week surprised me, and really has me vexed on what we need to do to get some stability in the defensive backfield...

Ras-I's inactive last week surprised me, and really has me vexed on what we need to do to get some stability in the defensive backfield...
Ras-I Dowling may need another season to fully recover from hip surgery.

I agree with you on PC and Arrington.
An example of the comparison of safety and cornerback contracts signed by the same NFL franchise:

Donte Whitner

Donte Whitner - San Francisco 49ers - 2012 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

8/4/2011: Signed a three-year, $11.75 million contract. The deal contains a $2.5 million signing bonus and $4 million guaranteed. 2012: $3.3 million (+ $250,000 workout bonus), 2013: $3.75 million (+ $250,000 workout bonus), 2014: Free Agent

Carlos Rogers

Carlos Rogers - San Francisco 49ers - 2012 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

3/13/2012: Signed a four-year, $29.3 million contract. The deal included a $5 million signing bonus. Another $2 million is available through incentives. An annual $100,000 workout bonus and $250,000 roster bonus is available throughout the life of the deal. 2012: $3.9 million, 2013: $5.5 million, 2014: $6.25 million, 2015: $7.25 million, 2016: Free Agent

Safeties have been probably the lowest paid of all the defensive players on average in the league for years. I think part of that is of the mindset that they're too small to be linebackers and not good enough at coverage to be CBs. They're really the tweeners of the defense.

Cornerbacks are probably the highest stress position players other than QBs on the field. They operate in isolation most times, and bear the heft of the defensive blame when things aren't going well. That, in itself, is a big reason why they get paid so well.

Anyone else think that Sammy Watkins would be a first round pick if he came out now?

probably, or early 2nd. there are a couple sophomore players that wuld be early picks if it were allowed

I've tried to avoid it, but I'm officially on the Tavon Austin bandwagon. He is always open and has the quicks/speed/footwork to make big yards once he has the ball. Like a hybrid of Welker and DeSean Jackson.

But the Pats haven't even unwrapped Demps yet (another undersized speedster). I get it, but I can see Demps and Austin complementing each other nicely. Demps has the straight line speed (KO return) and Austin has the hands and elusiveness (punts). If they are on the field together, they effectively force the defense to stay wide since a quick screen or reverse threatens both edges. Imagine Gronk/AHern with space to operate. Fuhgetabowtit.

So make it so Belichick. You are not allowed to exit the 2nd day of the draft without Austin. Cornering the market on TEs and Tavons since 2010...

I've tried to avoid it, but I'm officially on the Tavon Austin bandwagon. He is always open and has the quicks/speed/footwork to make big yards once he has the ball. Like a hybrid of Welker and DeSean Jackson.

But the Pats haven't even unwrapped Demps yet (another undersized speedster). I get it, but I can see Demps and Austin complementing each other nicely. Demps has the straight line speed (KO return) and Austin has the hands and elusiveness (punts). If they are on the field together, they effectively force the defense to stay wide since a quick screen or reverse threatens both edges. Imagine Gronk/AHern with space to operate. Fuhgetabowtit.

So make it so Belichick. You are not allowed to exit the 2nd day of the draft without Austin. Cornering the market on TEs and Tavons since 2010...

i can definitely see it. pats dont mind undersized receivers, and theyve been looking for special teams help as well. guy fits both...and probably wont go too early.

id like them to go for a true #1 receiver early in the draft, wouldnt mind seeing this pick somewhwere in the 3rd-4th round range

Last edited:

I can see it now. Draft Austin and another tall TE and then on the 2little and large package" - Demps, austin, Gronk and new 6'8" TE, we could run a trick play in which the nippy tiny WR's run between the TE's legs. Instant defensive confusion and mega gain.

Grizzly sleeper alert from OTG! From Tony Pauline's "risers and sliders" column on CNNSI:

Eric Fisher/T/Central Michigan: Fisher is another NFL talent from the Mid-American Conference who stood out against top competition. Fisher struggled earlier this season against Michigan State yet rebounded and looked stellar against Iowa. He displayed outstanding pass protection skills as well as the ability to block in motion. The 6-foot, 7-inch Fisher is a solid athlete who easily moves his body around the field, adjusting to stop blitzes and easily annihilating linebackers on the second level. He's a mid-round prospect with starting potential.

Week 4 - Tony Pauline - SI.com

Chad Reuter called Fisher the "top left tackle prospect in the senior class":

Eric Fisher, 6-8, 305, OT, Central Michigan

As the top left tackle prospect in the senior class, Fisher opens scouts' eyes with his pro-caliber frame and eye-popping agility in the open field, which he should be able to maintain while working in an NFL strength program. Staying healthy (he missed the final two games of 2012 with a knee injury) while showing off his athleticism throughout 2012 should result in his following in the first-round footsteps of former CMU star and current 49ers Pro Bowler Joe Staley.

Michigan's Taylor Lewan paces top college offensive linemen - NFL.com

Drop everything. Looks like we'll need to draft a whole new secondary....again!!

Drop everything. Looks like we'll need to draft a whole new secondary....again!!

Ummm . . . NO.

Analyzing the defense on the basis of this game is a fool's errand.

Ummm . . . NO.

Analyzing the defense on the basis of this game is a fool's errand.

And this game was an improvement on the last game we played against the Ravens how?

Obviously Dowling, Dennard and Wilson get a pass (I have high hopes for Dennard in particular), but of the rest who else in the secondary do you think we can count on going forward? Whom of the others would you be desperate to keep?

For me, this team would be no worse off if Arrington, McCourty, Chung and Gregory all left at the end of the season - none are playing at the level that could be considered irreplaceable.

And this game was an improvement on the last game we played against the Ravens how?

Obviously Dowling, Dennard and Wilson get a pass (I have high hopes for Dennard in particular), but of the rest who else in the secondary do you think we can count on going forward? Whom of the others would you be desperate to keep?

For me, this team would be no worse off if Arrington, McCourty, Chung and Gregory all left at the end of the season - none are playing at the level that could be considered irreplaceable.

dont need to draft a whole new secondary, but they DO need to Draft a true #1 CB.

McCourty should be the #2. hes not a shutdown guy but he is solid (and was for much of the game last night before getting burned a bunch)

Arrington is a slot corner at best but he is our #2 right now.

dowling and dennard are irrelevant since neither actually play right now (injury and mystery).

dont need to draft a whole new secondary, but they DO need to Draft a true #1 CB.

McCourty should be the #2. hes not a shutdown guy but he is solid (and was for much of the game last night before getting burned a bunch)

Arrington is a slot corner at best but he is our #2 right now.

dowling and dennard are irrelevant since neither actually play right now (injury and mystery).

Dowling and Dennard are relevant in so far as I don't include them in the group that I feel is sub-par because we don't know what they can offer. Saying we needed to draft whole new secondary was deliberate hyperbole for effect; of course I don't think that's practical, it's just frustrating that it's still an issue considering the draft resources already spent, it would be nice to consider the secondary an area in which we don't need to invest in for a while and unfortunately we aren't there yet.

Dowling and Dennard are relevant in so far as I don't include them in the group that I feel is sub-par because we don't know what they can offer. Saying we needed to draft whole new secondary was deliberate hyperbole for effect; of course I don't think that's practical, it's just frustrating that it's still an issue considering the draft resources already spent, it would be nice to consider the secondary an area in which we don't need to invest in for a while and unfortunately we aren't there yet.

This is the same secondary, though, that held Larry Fitzgerald to one catch and the entire Arizona passing game to 140 yards.

I'm not saying that they're spectacular, but I don't think they're anywhere near as bad as this game made them look.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back