PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TE Daniel Fells and Jake Ballard cut

Congrats to Sudfeld.

Two UDFA starters, the best players play on the Pats!

That means it looks like Gronk will be back by at least week 3 or 4.

Blount or Bolden as a chip to secure a TE?????? RB is about the only grouping with depth to make a decent player expendable

Fells' situation, must have been a money thing because he outplayed Hooman and Ballard (though Ballard is now gone too).

As for Ballard.... he never lived to the hype from his Giants glory days. I'm not surprised with him being cut.

Ballard's only slightly surprising. He was always plodding, but it's clear the microfracture slowed him another step or two.

Tebow must have agreed to play TE :cool:

I'm glad it looks like Gronk isn't going on the PUP, my wife and I are going down for the Saints game on October 13th and I was hoping he would be playing.

Rumors are true then. Vince Wilfork is going to play TE. He's faster than Ballard now...

Seriously, sucks about Ballard. He really was hobbling around out there. He can still block, but that's where it ends.

Fells will land somewhere - Ravens? Ballard, I'm not so sure.

Re: Ballard Cut

So Injured Gronk, Sudfeld, and Hooman are the top 3 TEs.

No way Pats go into season with this group. A Trade / Signing is coming.

I think you need to stop envisioning a 2 TE offense; we can whether the storm with Fells as the starter and mixing Sudfeld in as a flex TE from time to time until Gronkowski returns. The offense is going to spend more time in 3 wide receiver sets or 2 running back sets this season. Unfortunately for our 2nd TE is staring down the barrel of 25 to life currently and lost in all that ciaos was the fact that our offense would have to change as a result of it, therefore so have our roster needs. Just because someone is a degenerate serial killer thug doesn’t mean he is easily replaced on the football field.

Don't count out one of them being back after week 2. Ballard clearly needs some more time to recuperate.

Yeah, you'll see Ridley and Vereen on the field together a lot more. There may be more 2 TE sets once Gronk is back, but I suspect that Sudfeld will be playing inline at first with Vereen playing the move/H-back type even with Ridley there.

Surprised by Fells. He didn't have a bad camp by most reports. Ballard is not a surprise. He doesn't look healthy at all.

Yeah, you'll see Ridley and Vereen on the field together a lot more. There may be more 2 TE sets once Gronk is back, but I suspect that Sudfeld will be playing inline at first with Vereen playing the move/H-back type even with Ridley there.

Bummer about Ballard, but I don't see a reason to panic at all.

If I see Amendola/Tompkins/Suds/Ridley/Vereen out there week 1, I'll be pretty excited. That's not an easy grouping to defend.

Also, a few weeks later we'll add the best TE in football, which is nice.

I agree that we will have fewer 2 TE sets until Gronk is back.

You mean Hooman as the starter?

If Hooman is the starter, what is the disadvantage of play Suds in a significant number of 2 TE sets? After all, the loss in production is in starting Hooman instead of Ballard or Fells.

I think you need to stop envisioning a 2 TE offense; we can whether the storm with Fells as the starter and mixing Sudfeld in as a flex TE from time to time until Gronkowski returns. The offense is going to spend more time in 3 wide receiver sets or 2 running back sets this season. Unfortunately for our 2nd TE is staring down the barrel of 25 to life currently and lost in all that ciaos was the fact that our offense would have to change as a result of it, therefore so have our roster needs. Just because someone is a degenerate serial killer thug doesn’t mean he is easily replaced on the football field.

Incoming Lance Kendricks trade? :/ One can dream.

Question I have now is, does Develin make the roster? He seems like an H-Back type and has a prototypical TE body.

EDIT: Field Yates had the same thoughts...

Field Yates @FieldYates
When considering Pats TE's, worth noting that James Develin has worked there extensively too. H-back type who has performed well in camp.

And Stephon Morris just got cut.

Surprised by Fells. He didn't have a bad camp by most reports. Ballard is not a surprise. He doesn't look healthy at all.

Ditto. Either I have no idea what the hell I'm watching or Fells came down to money.

Bummer about Ballard, but I don't see a reson to at all.

If I see Amendola/Tompkins/Suds/Ridley/Vereen out there week 1, I'll be pretty excited. That's not an easy grouping to defend.

Also, a few weeks later we'll add the best TE in football, which is nice.

2TE offense is Passe. 2RB offense is where its at. Bill Belichick ahead of the curve as usual :rocker:

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back