PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TE Daniel Fells and Jake Ballard cut

Shocked about Fells. Had to have been $.

Surprised by Fells. He didn't have a bad camp by most reports. Ballard is not a surprise. He doesn't look healthy at all.

Fells could return after Week 1 (when salary isn't guaranteed).

Wow, the Pats Picker is Quick! They've already pulled Fells and Ballard off.

I'm sure he'll be very excited to be here, will give it 110%, and will do everything in his power to contribute in order to help this team go deep into the postseason if that happens. :rolleyes:

BB sometimes cuts players early so they can catch on with another team..

I suspect that these two may be examples of this..

With Morris now getting the axe, how many more until we get to 53?

Pats might have ended Ballard's career twice now.

With Morris now getting the axe, how many more until we get to 53?

19... Though I figure they're going to cut more than that and pick up 1 or 2 off waivers.

If Furstenburg gets cut by Baltimore, look for him to land with the Pats.

Here is a break down of everything these moves mean IMO

#1 Gronk will be on the 53

#2 Fells won the job - If Ballard won the job they would not have cut him cause his salary was so small and not guaranteed.

#3 Hooman over Devlin - Today seems to be the cut TE day and they only way Devlin stays is if Hooman goes. If Hooman was going to go they would have kept both Fells & Ballard.

#4 The Patriots will look to sign a TE for week 1 BUT if they can get a good enough deal and good production from the new guy he may just steal Fells spot.

Exactly my thought.

This is one time I'd love to see a detailed explanation of the salary issues. The more (flexibility) the Patriots gain financially with these moves, the more one might think the Patriots were gambling on being able to rehire these guys in the future.

By the way, I'm guessing Brady enjoys the idea of having 2 UDFA receivers starting. It's feels good to be a teacher/mentor, and since he doesn't seem to have ambitions to coach, this is about as pure a case as he's going to experience professionally ... except perhaps w/ backup QBs, and w/ those guys there's always an undercurrent of competition.

fauria couldn't have been more wrong last night

fauria couldn't have been more wrong last night

I thought I heard Chatham talking about the possibility that someone like Fells would be cut to avoid guaranteeing his salary for the whole season (ala Gerard Warren in 2011).

I thought I heard Chatham talking about the possibility that someone like Fells would be cut to avoid guaranteeing his salary for the whole season (ala Gerard Warren in 2011).

he said that 100% ballard was staying on this team....whoops

Benard gone now.

I wonder if Develin will get many looks at TE...

He has had a pretty good camp. Here is my guess on their thinking.

Buchanan is a better backup DE when it comes to pure pass rushing

Cunningham/Francis/Bequette (whoever they keep) is a better inside DT pass rusher.

I think the first is probably true while the 2nd I am not sure about. But if that is there thinking then there is no reason to keep Benard I guess.

I wonder if Develin will get many looks as a TE...

That's the reason why I think he makes the team. He can be used as a FB and as an H-Back and be effective in both roles. We all know how Belichick loves his Swiss Army Knife types, and Develin would seem to fall under that description.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back