PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Taylor could be gone for awhile: Reiss

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still waiting for those 2007 SuperBowl running STATS for Maroney.

He sucked.

So did the entire O-line. And they have a direct impact on the running game's success. You should know that.

I dont understand why BJGE is the flavor of the month and Maroney is a pos, looks at BJGE's stats and then look at Maroney's. I think I can guess why BB keeps him on the roster.

Last edited:
I have a good question about the runningback position for the future.

After this season: Fred Taylor and Morris should both be gone because of age. Maroney should be cut/traded.

Do you think:

1. Belichick will trust BJGE to get a bulk of the carries? (I doubt it)
2. Spend a 1st/2nd round pick on a back.
3. Get one in free agency.

I dont understand why BJGE is the flavor of the month and Maroney is a pos, looks at BJGE's stats and then look at Maroney's. I think I can guess why BB keeps him on the roster.

I saw Green-Ellis in one of your preseason games and, while I appreciate it's only preseason, that kid looked pretty good. I'm surprised that he hasn't seen the field yet, but I assume this means he'll get time?

After this season: Fred Taylor and Morris should both be gone because of age. Maroney should be cut/traded.

Do you think:

Gotta go with 2 or 3 Vanna with a trade also a possibility. You could very well have an entirely new backfield if Faulk starts to show his age this year too. All signs point to him playing till he is 74 though ;)

Last edited:
Maroney has played like crap and you know it. I've been watching the games. Last week, Maroney probably ran for - yardage 5 times.

Last week, Maroney ran for -1 yard 3 times. He had 7 carries total for 6 yards. Not great. But, on 5 of the 7 carries, there were no holes and on the 3 where he lost yardage, there were defenders in the backfield. I mean, on the run around the left end, the ENTIRE O-line was pushed right along with Maroney preventing him from getting around the edge. How is that Maroney's fault?

BTW, The Ravens have one of the best Run defenses in the league.

The genius of Belichick never ceases to amaze me. When you pick up a guy like Fred Taylor, you better be deep at the RB position...and that's exactly what the pats are. Will the loss hurt? I guess, but losses are taken in consideration and I think the Pats did a great job planning for this very situation. Time to unleash BGE...THE "FIRM" BABY!!!

BJGE is a nice bottom-of-the-roster player who can fill in and make some yardage running straight ahead. Nothing more. His longest gain is 15 yards for god's sake.

We didn't draft a RB in round 1 to be a sporadic good games rusher - We drafted him to be consistent and to make a difference in the running game and to keep the pressure off of Brady to avoid for him to have all the weight on his shoulders,its hasn't transpired to that.

Maroney has NOT been consistent,HAS been injured often and even when healthy has NOT been much of a factor in hardly any games he was in.

Nope. It hasn't. But lets remember that the O-line hasn't been consistent in its run blocking either.

As for Maroney "not being much of a factor" that's your myopic opinion. You've been on the Maroney hater wagon for awhile and not been anything but biased about it.

To sum it all up by the end of this season and his career as a pro he's been officially a bust.

I really find it laughable to those who think every week he will have a huge game and every week he pretty much sucks most of 60 minutes and yet we hold our breath hoping that he finally wakes up, only to pull our hair out over another dissapointing performance 3 hours later.

I find it laughable that people like yourself can claim a guy "sucks for pretty much 60 minutes" yet you think you know wtf you are talking about. People like you are friggin hypocrites because you aren't nearly as critical of players such as MAYO or Wilfork or Mankins. Yet, Mayo made plenty of mistakes last year. And you think that just because he was the best defensive rookie, that it means much. I can tell you that Mayo consistently over-ran plays last year and it was only his athleticism that allowed him to compensate for it. Yet people like you ignore stuff like that

Here is Maroney in SB 42

14 attempts 36 carries 2.57 Y/A

BUST terrible terrible terrible.

Brady must be a bust also because his stats stunk for the SB... :rolleyes:

Props to Jimke and others who were for keeping all those RBs on the53. I wasn't one of them but I'm glad we have the players now.

Heal quickly, Fred. You'll be good to have post season.

I truly hope Maroney can find his nutsack and run through the middle of the defense with power and try and get through the season with some decent numbers like maybe 800 yards but as we know thats unlikely.

Why is it that clueless people like yourself make idiotic claims about maroney not having a nutsack just because he's NOT and never has been a power runner?

If Belichick had full confidence in Maroney I don't think Fred Taylor would have been here nor do I think BJGE would have stuck on the 53 - Maroney is made to blend in with a 5 man rotation this year,I hardly think he is the best of this bunch.

You can think whatever you want. Doesn't mean you are correct. Hell, lets just IGNORE that Faulk, Morris, Jordan and Maroney all have had injury issues. So, bringing Taylor was done to replace Jordan. Yet, its Taylor who is not out with Injury. I believe it would be more correct to say that if BB had full confidence that Morris, Faulk, and Maroney would stay healthy, he wouldn't have brought in Taylor. I think its also safe to say that BB kept BJGE because of those injury issues. And that is why he stuck on the 53.

Do you think:

Maroney's not gonna get cut. If anything, he'll be our third down back replacing Faulk.

If BJGE proves that he can be depended on in a roation, I can see us either drafting a RB or signing another veteran RB. If BJGE doesn't prove he can be part of the rotation, we draft one and sign a vet. This of course, hinges on whether we keep Morris or Taylor. My .02

drivel. I'm sorry that you think Maroney matters. When in fact he is quite useless and injury prone. Too bad Maroney isn't the one w/ the ankle injury.

Wishing injuries on players is the sign of a POS.

Yes, Maroney is so "useless" BB is using him more in the passing game to help sell the Play-Action pass.

And yes, your posts have been drivel..

Well this is why we have 5 running backs. 3 of our running backs are made of glass, the law firm we don't know yet, and faulk is legit healthwise.

At the end of the season, I expect us to have only 2 healthy rbs---BJGE and Faulk.

I guess you've forgotten all the times that Faulk has been injured. Including the 2nd half of the 2006 AFCCG.

Maroney's not gonna get cut. If anything, he'll be our third down back replacing Faulk.

If BJGE proves that he can be depended on in a roation, I can see us either drafting a RB or signing another veteran RB. If BJGE doesn't prove he can be part of the rotation, we draft one and sign a vet. This of course, hinges on whether we keep Morris or Taylor. My .02

If he throws up a bomb of a season or an unproductive season, Maroney will be gone or forced to renegotiate his deal (which isnt a ton of cash but a million here and there is scrutinized heavily these day. If he has a 2006/2007 season, i agree he will stay.

I guess you've forgotten all the times that Faulk has been injured. Including the 2nd half of the 2006 AFCCG.

I think that everyone who has been watching this team for more than a couple of years (which doesn't appear to be HarkDawg) and is whining about Maroney should remember how Faulk started out: a fumble prone RB. I can remember close family members back then screaming and wondering aloud why Faulk was given a spot on the team everytime he put the ball on the ground. Now look at the guy...

Has anyone considered that maybe Reiss is just speculating ? The Pats haven't made any announcements yet, have they ?

Calm down, BB just uses the run against weak run defenses anyway.

Other than that, it's just situational for short yardage, or keeping the defense off balance.

Relax,this is Brady's passing team, not the 1909 Cripple Creek Steamrollers.

There are enough backs to get the job done, and if they run out of backs, they'll get some more.

Don't you know that BJGE is the second coming of Corey Dillon?

Well put. BJGE rides the pine because Belichick wants him to conserve his energy and abilities for the big games.

I get frustrated with some of Maroney's decisions on the field (trying to take a run outside against the Ravens like he would in a college game rather than pushing the ball north was but one example), but Belichick has established that he does not fall in love with players. If Maroney did not earn his place on the active roster, he would be gone - yesterday.

I do agree that Maroney tends to get the ball when a run is expected rather than when a pass is likely. That means he has the good fortune of hitting the force of a run-D, which means it is statistically less likely he will go 3 yards before he finds a defender. Fred Taylor has 11,000+ rushing yards and was the 9th pick of the draft, so I expect even now he is a better back than Maroney. That does not make Maroney a failure, it just means he is not a Hall of Famer like Taylor.

In comparison, BJGE is an undrafted feel good story who showed up last year for the Denver game (a blowout) and Week 9 against Buffalo, when the O-line was starting to look like a playoff caliber O-line. While I love to see the guy do well, I am not seeing him as the second coming of Jim Brown.

I heard the same things about Chad Jackson...He will be good ...he will be good .....he will be good..give him time :rolleyes:

A Year or so later BB was tired of watching his 2nd rounder suck and cut him and now Chad is working as a greeter at Macy's .... If Maroney can't do anything this year I see no team in the league looking at him if he gets cut next season.

Its a what have you done for me lately league,No one cares what you did in the 2007 playoffs or how good of a game you had against the Bengals in 2006...Prove you are worthy of being a NE Patriot NOW....No one gives two fu(ks what happened 2 years ago in sporadic moments of grandeur.

I love how people make sh!t up so they can pretend to sound intelligent. Jackson was progressing well until the 2006 AFCCG when he tore his ACL. Then he missed an ENTIRE SEASON with that injury. For whatever reason, Brady and he could never build the trust that was needed. Its not like it just happens. Otherwise Galloway and Brady would be tearing it up right now.

Maroney has proven that, when given the chance, he can carry the ball. Part of the problem I've seen is that they don't go to him enough. And they need to. I find it amazing that no one is complaining about the team NOT giving it to the RBs more. Seriously, it wasn't that long ago that people were saying that Dillon needed 15-20 touches to really make a difference in a game. Now, we are getting our RBs 6-7 and expecting them to perform as if they've gotten 15 or 20? Sounds to me like people have developed selective memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft